2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#49443 - 23/06/05 12:58 PM Traney Fluid Suggestions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok I have done a BUNCH of reading accross this forum about fluids for my differential and traney. I am running a 2000 2.4L (4 cyl) 4x2 and was wondering what fluid and the amounts to place in them. From what I have read a lot of people like royal purple and have read good things about a couple of other brands. But I wanted to set my own topic in here to get a firm confirmation on what I have read specifically for my vehicle set up. From what I understand I need to pull my drain plug and let it flow out and then simply fill up until it starts coming back out of the fill hole on both the tranny and differential. If this is not true what are the exact amounts I need. I guess my real questions are.

1. I have read I need something with MTL for my differential. Do I buy that pre mixed or have to mix it myself. And what viscosity/brand do I use (i.e.) 75w-90
2. What viscocity and amount do I put in the traney.
3. what brand do you recommend

Yeah I know this post turned out way bigger than I thought it should have too.

Thanks guys

#49444 - 23/06/05 03:52 PM Re: Traney Fluid Suggestions
Anonymous
Unregistered

1. YOu don't want to use Redline MTL in your differential. MTL is a product made by Redline. YOu should be able to use any 80w90 gear oil in the diff.

2. I'm assuming a manual transmission which calls for a 75w90 weight gear oil which is GL-4 compliant. the GL-4 rating is very important as newer GL-5 compliant oils have more additives that can harm the soft metals in your tranny

3. There are several brands that people are using. Redline, royal purple, amsoil etc. I'm currently using redline mt-90 synthetic and have had no issues. You can use the same gear oil that you use in your transmission for your transfer case

Hope this helps

*edit* Shit just realized you said you had a 4 banger, I'm not sure if what i said above applies to 4 cylinder version or not. Someone else might chime in here

#49445 - 23/06/05 07:35 PM Re: Traney Fluid Suggestions
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just happen to be sitting here w/my DSM for my '01 Fronty. Looking at the KA24DE specs (I'm guessing this is the same engine):

-as NUTZ said 75/90 gear oil for the tranny. GL-4 only (gonna have to check that on mine confused )

-For a standard differential: 80/90 GL-5

-For a Limited Slip Dif.: 80/90 GL-5 or you can use 90 if the temp. is above 0 degrees F. THIS MUST BE LSD OIL.

Hope this helps.

#49446 - 24/06/05 08:12 AM Re: Traney Fluid Suggestions
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
I doubt that a 4 cylinder 2WD has the LSD.

#49447 - 24/06/05 09:41 AM Re: Traney Fluid Suggestions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser:
I doubt that a 4 cylinder 2WD has the LSD.
-----------------------------------------------
Probably not, but it would be wise to know for sure.

#49448 - 24/06/05 12:00 PM Re: Traney Fluid Suggestions
Anonymous
Unregistered

looked in my manual and it says API GL-4*1 viscosity 75w-90 only so I will stick with that, also as per your suggestions. But it does not say anything about differential. It does however say something about the "Final drive" and it just says 3 1/8 pts of API gl-5*1. no SAW viscosity level. Any iudea what that is?

#49449 - 24/06/05 12:06 PM Re: Traney Fluid Suggestions
Anonymous
Unregistered

One more thing... how can I tell if it is a LSD? in my manual it says replace LSD fluid every 30 miles in the maintenence schedule, but its a very generic book. It does not seperate that schedule from 4X4 or 6 cyl.

#49450 - 24/06/05 12:13 PM Re: Traney Fluid Suggestions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oops I just did a little more research and found that it will have a orange sticker on the Diff and if thats fallen off jack up the rear and spin a tire, if both spin its LSD?

#49451 - 24/06/05 12:56 PM Re: Traney Fluid Suggestions
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by phatmike2948:
Oops I just did a little more research and found that it will have a orange sticker on the Diff and if thats fallen off jack up the rear and spin a tire, if both spin its LSD?
I don't know if I believe the tire spinning deal... but what has been said (if you choose to believe it) is that if they both spin the SAME direction that is the LSD... if they spin opposite, that is non-LSD.

AAR, HERE is the sticker:

I don't think it would come off even with lots of offroading... it's a mylar sticker and it is ON THERE... Even if it had come off I'll bet you could see where it used to be.

#49452 - 24/06/05 06:21 PM Re: Traney Fluid Suggestions
Anonymous
Unregistered

qb][/QUOTE]I don't know if I believe the tire spinning deal... but what has been said (if you choose to believe it) is that if they both spin the SAME direction that is the LSD... if they spin opposite, that is non-LSD.

Yep, that's true. Same direction = LSD. No doubt.

#49453 - 28/06/05 03:18 PM Re: Traney Fluid Suggestions
Anonymous
Unregistered

I been to 3 auto part stores and nobody carries Gl-4 75w-90 all I have been able to find is the gl-5 stuff......

#49454 - 28/06/05 03:55 PM Re: Traney Fluid Suggestions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah, it's sort of a tough find....I don't know if you have an autozone there, but if so they sell a brand called coastal which is standard dino oil gl-4 rated. If you can't find any, you might have to pay a bit more and get a synthetic gear oil. You should be able to find products from redline, amsoil, royal purple that will be gl-4 rated. Don't just give up and buy the gl-5 rated gear oil, it can potentially be very harmful to your tranny

#49455 - 28/06/05 04:02 PM Re: Traney Fluid Suggestions
silverxglider Offline

Loc: Andes, NY
I found some Coastal GL4 at Advance Auto Parts a couple of months ago.

#49456 - 28/06/05 05:07 PM Re: Traney Fluid Suggestions
Anonymous
Unregistered

I put Castrol Syntorq LT 75w85 GL-4 rated in mine a few weeks ago. So far it shifts great! But I didn't have any problems before either. I got tired of looking for & reading bad things about other oil. From all I reseached, It sounds like the best. The only down side is it's $$$! Online is the cheapest way to go. I would have bought it online but needed it that day. I ended up buying it at a local GM shop that had it in stock.
Castrol Syntorq LT is available in quart bottles from Dodge dealers (p/n 4874459) and GM dealers (p/n 12346190).

#49457 - 29/06/05 08:40 AM Re: Traney Fluid Suggestions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah, I was kind of hoping to put synthetic in anyhow. I was really hoping to get ahold of some lucas that would work but could not get any. I have an autozone here, hopefully they will have a GL-4 synthetic somewhere. I did not find any at advanced, oreilly, or the other place i went.

#49458 - 29/06/05 10:28 AM Re: Traney Fluid Suggestions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Went to the dealership and they were trying to tell me that GL5 was better for my traney even though I had a gl4 one. I told them thanks and did not buy anything for the traney yet. I know they have the coastal stuff at autzone so I am going to pick that up on my way home from work today. I have a feeling that the people that owned this car before me did not do the best job on fluid changes so I am going to use the coastal and then change it to a better synthetic in about 10k miles to get the rest of the gunk out.

#49459 - 29/06/05 03:05 PM Re: Traney Fluid Suggestions
Anonymous
Unregistered

treeman how much you pay for the syntorq from the dealer?

#49460 - 29/06/05 03:42 PM Re: Traney Fluid Suggestions
Anonymous
Unregistered

He told me $16 per qt. But when I looked at the bill he only charged me $15. I have seen it for $12 online but then you have to pay shipping.

#49461 - 29/06/05 04:03 PM Re: Traney Fluid Suggestions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here is some info I collected before I decided to use it.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/forums/archive/topic/1237.html

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000625

http://www.quad4x4.com/NV4500FAQ.htm Scroll down to want lube I should use

Where you can get it online
http://www.quad4x4.com/NV4500%20Parts.htm

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm

#49462 - 29/06/05 07:47 PM Re: Traney Fluid Suggestions
Anonymous
Unregistered

I decided to go with the Redline fluids for the tranny and transfer case.

I mixed the MTL and MT-90 50/50. So far so good. (2 days, 40 miles)

You can get redline oil at many performance shops. I got mine at Jegs (local) but you could also get it through their catalog.. $7.99/qt. with free shipping. [ThumbsUp]

Beware though, others have expressed problems with the MT-90 (ChuckH?)

#49463 - 30/06/05 11:14 AM Re: Traney Fluid Suggestions
Anonymous
Unregistered

I found this at Royal Purples website and It says it works in a GL-4.

"Max-GearŪ is recommended for use in truck, motor home / RV, and automotive front or rear differentials, manual transmissions and lower gear units of marine engines that specify use of an API GL-5 or GL-4 fluid."

What do you guys think?

#49464 - 30/06/05 05:26 PM Re: Traney Fluid Suggestions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mike, check out amsoil . They've got 75w90 GL-4 synthetic for $7.80/qt.

I ordered 4qts* of that, 3qts of 80w90 @ $7.40 and 4oz. of LSD additive. $70 shipped.

*The DSM calls for 5 7/8 pints, but my notes tell me I put 3 1/2 qts. in last time.

#49465 - 05/07/05 07:55 AM Re: Traney Fluid Suggestions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Did my differential this weekend only a 1 1/2 quarts drained out... I jacked the front end up too but nothing else came out.

#49466 - 05/07/05 08:11 AM Re: Traney Fluid Suggestions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hm, the FSM calls for almost 3 qts. How much did you get back in it?

#49467 - 06/07/05 07:29 AM Re: Traney Fluid Suggestions
Anonymous
Unregistered

1 1/2... I even drove her for 25 miles at 60 MPH to get the fluid nice and hot. The one good thing was that the fluid looked semi clean. It was not pitch black like I was expecting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal