Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#49468 - 07/07/05 04:35 PM Re: Traney Fluid Suggestions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ah, my bad. I was looking at the specs for the v6. 2 3/8 pints for yours. You didn't overfill did you?

Got my amsoil for the rear today. The GL-4 for the tranny is backordered. Grrr.

Hey, Mike, did you have a LSD in there?

#49469 - 08/07/05 10:50 PM Re: Traney Fluid Suggestions
OnlyOneDR Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by phatmike2948:
It was not pitch black like I was expecting.
Gear oil typically does not change color like that. Engine oil turns black because of blow-by gases and residue that find their way into the bottom-end of the engine. If the gear oil turns into chocolate milk then you know that water got into the axle or transmission, whichever is in question.

Battleship - 2001 Frontier Desert Runner
NOAS Club Membership Coordinator and Treasurer 2016-2017
http://www.noas4x4club.com/

#49470 - 14/07/05 05:08 PM Re: Traney Fluid Suggestions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Two Bills:
Ah, my bad. I was looking at the specs for the v6. 2 3/8 pints for yours. You didn't overfill did you?

Got my amsoil for the rear today. The GL-4 for the tranny is backordered. Grrr.

Hey, Mike, did you have a LSD in there?
Nah, I wish smile I did not think you could overfill it, I put about what I got out of it. I filled it till it came out of the fill plug. Thats what everyone was saying to do.... I FINALLY got some coastal gl4 for my traney. I am going to let it sit in there for 10k then replace with redline gl4 that I found online.

#49471 - 14/07/05 05:10 PM Re: Traney Fluid Suggestions
Anonymous
Unregistered

When I said naw, I meant no LSD. I guess i have the most basic one you can buy but it does the trick for now. I got to look inside one of the brand new ones this weekend while I was in Orlando and they are pretty sweet. It looks like the body is a little beefier as well

#49472 - 15/07/05 06:03 AM Re: Traney Fluid Suggestions
Anonymous
Unregistered

You know about "popping" the emergency brake, if you get wheel spin in the snow or mud, to trick the tranny into operating like a posi?

Got my GL-4 synthetic from from Amsoil the other day. Just gotta get that stuff in now.

#49473 - 15/07/05 01:49 PM Re: Traney Fluid Suggestions
Anonymous
Unregistered

I live in florida so no snow and probably won't get to take it off road any time soon. But thanks for the tip smile

#49474 - 15/07/05 05:37 PM Re: Traney Fluid Suggestions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bet it would work in sand, also. laugh

#49475 - 19/11/05 09:10 PM Re: Traney Fluid Suggestions
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Probably gonna have to change the tranny fluid soon so was doing some reading up on the subject and found this post as to why GL-4 is still required... I had heard about the metal used on the syncro's before, but this went into more detail....

#49476 - 22/11/05 04:42 PM Re: Traney Fluid Suggestions
Anonymous
Unregistered

from what I'm reading there may be some people out there afraid to use synthetic oil. synthetic oil reduces running temps up to 30+ degrees. for LSD like mine I use synthetc oil with LSD additive. I also use something in my radiator called Water Wetter from Red Line. Tests show a 40-60 degree drop in flash temp in the coolant. It also has a friction modifier in it to lube the water pump (post t-belt). I even went as far as to find synthetic ATF for the trans after the overhaul and shift kit treatment and added a tranny cooler (50,000lb) for towing (overkill). I add an oil additive (prolong) to the synthetic oil in the engine every 6,000 mi., and I still change the oil every 3K. As far as engine oil I use Mobil 1 racing oil in the 10W30 variety.

#49477 - 09/12/05 07:50 AM Re: Traney Fluid Suggestions
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm ignorant of tranny fluid things here so bear with me - I know with changing engine oil you're supposed to let all the oil drain out before you put in new oil and especially before you change over from dino to synth. So is that true in a tranny too? I believe a mechanic once told me that unless you use a special machine that gets all the oil out of the tranny then you're leaving a lot in there with a standard pull the plug and drain (no, he wasn't trying to convince me to let him do the job, we were just chatting).

So anyway, if I have dino in there now can I just drain it and pour in some synth?

brad cook

#49478 - 09/12/05 03:38 PM Re: Traney Fluid Suggestions
silverxglider Offline

Loc: Andes, NY
If you have a manual tranny, drain and fill is all that's needed. With an automatic, however, about half of the fluid is in the torque converter and won't come out by draining (so mechanic is right, special equipment necessary to completely remove old fluid).

There are differing opinions about whether professional flushing is necessary or whether backyard drain/fill on a more frequent schedule is sufficient for an auto tranny.

#49479 - 09/12/05 08:25 PM Re: Traney Fluid Suggestions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by silverxglider:
If you have a manual tranny, drain and fill is all that's needed. With an automatic, however, about half of the fluid is in the torque converter and won't come out by draining (so mechanic is right, special equipment necessary to completely remove old fluid).

There are differing opinions about whether professional flushing is necessary or whether backyard drain/fill on a more frequent schedule is sufficient for an auto tranny.
Cool! Thanks a lot. That's good to hear.

brad cook

#49480 - 22/12/05 08:19 PM Re: Traney Fluid Suggestions
Anonymous
Unregistered

So I was looking at the Coastal tranny oil at Autozone and the one I found said "GL-5, GL-4, GL-3" on the front. Is that what I'm looking for or does the one I want only say "GL-4" on it?

brad cook

#49481 - 23/12/05 08:39 AM Re: Traney Fluid Suggestions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by DigMe:
So I was looking at the Coastal tranny oil at Autozone and the one I found said "GL-5, GL-4, GL-3" on the front. Is that what I'm looking for or does the one I want only say "GL-4" on it?

brad cook
Anyone? Anyone?! I was really wanting to try and get this done today so if someone knows the answer please chime in!

brad cook

#49482 - 23/12/05 12:31 PM Re: Traney Fluid Suggestions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nevermind. I just decided to bite the bullet and pay $15 a quart for the Castrol Syntorq from my local Dodge dealer.

Although it isn't labeled as "Castrol Syntorq" now. It's labeled as Mopar Synthetic Manual Transmission oil 75w85 GL-4 or something to that effect. I believe it has the same part number though.

brad cook

#49483 - 24/12/05 02:45 PM Re: Traney Fluid Suggestions
silverxglider Offline

Loc: Andes, NY
I know this is too late but I believe the 75W90 Coastal that I put in my Frontier just said GL4. But I wouldn't be upset because you certainly didn't go wrong with synthetic.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal