Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#496646 - 18/07/01 02:07 PM Manual Hub Locks
GordP Offline

Loc: White Rock, B.C. Canada
Howdy!

(I have used the search and come up dry).

I'm a bit worried about the longevity of the auto-locking hubs supplied on my X. So, after looking around, I see Warn (and I suppose Superwinch) makes a Premium manual hub-lock for the X.

But, being a cheap'n'handy kinda guy, I'm wondering if there is a wrecking-yard option? Does anyone know *for sure* if Pathfinder manual hubs:

1) fit
2) are available in wreckers (generally)

I thought I'd seen somewhere on XOC that Pathfinder parts would work, but for the life of me, I can't find any info...

TIA!

-GordP

------------------

#496647 - 19/07/01 05:31 AM Re: Manual Hub Locks
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
First, you'll have a hard enough time finding a wrecked Pathfinder.
Second, I wouldn't bother, the Warn hubs can be had for $120, that's not that much. I've never even seen factory manual hubs on a Pathy. I would imagine they would have been on the early models, which as far as I can tell wouldn't be compatible. Not that I would buy 15-year old hubs in the first place.

I can't determine if they Pathy hubs would be compatible. Warn's site lists the same part number for the 90-up Pathy and the Xterra (28-spline) and indicates the 86-89 had a 27-spline setup. Superwinch on the other hand says that the 6-cyl Pathy with auto hubs uses a 31-spline arrangement. Milemarker lists a 90-96 28-spline setup.

Brent

[This message has been edited by OffroadX (edited 07-19-2001).]

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#496648 - 19/07/01 07:54 AM Re: Manual Hub Locks
imacsae Offline

Loc: El Paso Tx.
I was looking at a ford f350 super duty that my tire guy just bought and his hubs are interesting. They have two settings and they are not locked and unlocked they are automatic and locked. does that mean he has automatic hubs that he can lock if he chooses. If so does anyone make that for the X I don't want to have to get out the vehicle every time I need 4wd for just a few minutes.

------------------
Were in the spirit world a$$hole they can't see us.
'01 super black XE 4x4
name: VADERX

#496649 - 19/07/01 05:08 PM Re: Manual Hub Locks
Synchro Offline

Loc: The booth on the left
Quote:
Originally posted by imacsae:
I was looking at a ford f350 super duty that my tire guy just bought and his hubs are interesting. They have two settings and they are not locked and unlocked they are automatic and locked. does that mean he has automatic hubs that he can lock if he chooses. If so does anyone make that for the X I don't want to have to get out the vehicle every time I need 4wd for just a few minutes.

that would be nice. did you ask what brand they were? if they are an aftermarket part, then you might be able to contact them and see what they offer.

------------------
Synchro (aka Kirk)
2000 Alpine Green 4x4 Auto, ARB, Warn XD9000, 32" BFG MTs

#496650 - 19/07/01 05:37 PM Re: Manual Hub Locks
srenegar Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA USA
What would be the advantage to having manual hubs? Wouldn't automatic hubs be more convinient?

------------------

#496651 - 20/07/01 02:22 AM Re: Manual Hub Locks
Anonymous
Unregistered

A word of warning. I previously owned a Jeep that was hopped up with a front locker that used to have the Warn Auto locking hubs on the front. They lasted two weeks before they came apart inside after I installed the locker. Because of this, Phase 4 of my Project X will include manual locking hubs. If you plan on hopping the engine up or putting in a front locker as parts become available, I would recommend using straight manual hubs. Besides, I don't think you are going to find a hub like that for the Nissan.

------------------
Gordon "The Warmonger" White

#496652 - 20/07/01 08:23 AM Re: Manual Hub Locks
GordP Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by srenegar:
What would be the advantage to having manual hubs? Wouldn't automatic hubs be more convinient?

Sure, they're more convenient. That's why Nissan puts them on.

Unfortunately (IMHO ) they're weaker, and I don't like the fact that they're always popping and clicking as the torque flow reverses. It's creepy, and worries me.

I've heard of a few Land Cruisers that also came with "Auto/Manual" hub-locks too. They weren't renowned for strength either, but they also weren't a disaster.

-GordP

------------------
2001 Solar Yellow XE (S/U/P)
tow hooks, storage shelf

#496653 - 20/07/01 08:28 AM Re: Manual Hub Locks
GordP Offline

After having a few days to look around, I've learned a few things:

[*]local wrecking yards that do have Pathfinders have never seen manual hubs on one! Wow

[*]Superwinch lists their hub-locks as fitting Xterras with 31-spline front axles.

[*]Warn lists their hub-locks as fitting Xterras with 29-spline front axles.

[*]Superwinch pricing ~$116

[*]Warn pricing ~$125

[/coredump]

-GordP

------------------
tow hooks, storage shelf

[This message has been edited by GordP (edited 07-20-2001).]

#496654 - 21/07/01 11:35 PM Re: Manual Hub Locks
MichaelShaw Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
about a year and a half ago an auto hub exploded in my old fullsize bronco. I looked at carparts.com and saw their warn premiums for ~$120. i called to make sure the part # i was ordering was for the right spline count for the front dana 44 and the guy on the phone quoted me 62.30 for the pair. call around if youre serious about manuals and you can get a steal of a deal.

michael

#496655 - 22/07/01 05:52 AM Re: Manual Hub Locks
deanf Offline

Loc: N47º 06’ x W122º 22’
Quote:
I was looking at a ford f350 super duty that my tire guy just bought and his hubs are interesting. They have two settings and they are not locked and unlocked they are automatic and locked. does that mean he has automatic hubs that he can lock if he chooses.

I own one. I normally run them in "AUTO". In this mode they are auto locking hubs, like the stock X (actuated differently, I think, however.) In "LOCKED" they are just like locked hubs in a traditional manual hubs vehicle. It's a factory setup.

------------------
MOLON LABE!

#496656 - 24/07/01 02:15 PM Re: Manual Hub Locks
GordP Offline

Today at lunch, I did it. I picked up a set of Warn Premium hubs (p/n 29091). If I had even a single tool here at work, I'd pop those babies on right now

I'm undecided about what to do with the original auto-locking hubs - carry one as a trail-spare and flog the second? Sell both (I really don't like clutter, and given that the manual hubs in my 300hp / 100:1-geared Land Cruiser have lasted 20+ years, I may never need a spare for my X...)?

-GordP (can't wait to break out the tools!)

------------------
tow hooks, storage shelf

#496657 - 25/07/01 09:01 AM Re: Manual Hub Locks
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Yeah, I'd keep 'em as spares on the trail. They're small enough, and better safe than sorry!

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#496658 - 25/07/01 02:55 PM Re: Manual Hub Locks
GordP Offline

I've done it - installed Warn's Premium Locking hubs. I wrote up a How-To, in the Backyard Mechanic forum. Jump

-GordP

------------------
tow hooks, storage shelf, Warn hubs

#496659 - 19/08/01 05:30 PM Re: Manual Hub Locks
JtaoJ Offline

Loc: Layton, Utah
Gord,

You will have to let us know if the manual hubs increase gas mileage...with the cruddy prices these days, ever bit counts. I would expect their would be some minor improvement!!

Have fun, J

Quote:
Originally posted by GordP:
I've done it - installed Warn's Premium Locking hubs. I wrote up a How-To, in the Backyard Mechanic forum. Jump

-GordP

#496660 - 19/08/01 07:43 PM Re: Manual Hub Locks
Synchro Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Jtaoj:
Gord,

You will have to let us know if the manual hubs increase gas mileage...with the cruddy prices these days, ever bit counts. I would expect their would be some minor improvement!!

why would you expect to see any improvement? the only way you would see any, is if your stock auto hubs were toast and not unlocking.

#496661 - 24/08/01 12:47 AM Re: Manual Hub Locks
ranchosinvacas Offline

Loc: tucson az
New photos of the 2002 X show that manual hubs may be available on the new vehicle.
Are the 2002 X manual hubs available and/or compatable with the 2000-01 axle splines?
What have you all read and/or heard about Nissan manual hubs for the X?
Thanks

#496662 - 24/08/01 01:24 AM Re: Manual Hub Locks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why would you want factory hubs for your truck? They are going to be more expensive by a wide margin than buying them on the after-market. You can buy MileMarker premium hubs from JC Whitney for $69.95 plus shipping. You will need the 90-96 Nissan models. It's crazy to spend $150 or more dollars for the factory ones when you can do a lot better elsewhere. I have the MileMarkers on my X and love them.

#496663 - 24/08/01 01:46 PM Re: Manual Hub Locks
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
The new factory Nissan manual hubs don't stick out as far as Warn and MileMarker hubs.

My Warn hubs stick out even with the wheel edge, which is a very bad thing. Both of them already have damage from rocks.

The new factory hubs are the same height as the automatic hubs, and less prone to damage.

If they are around $100 a pair, I'll switch to them and unload my Warns (which were $125).

#496664 - 24/08/01 03:27 PM Re: Manual Hub Locks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Actually I was off slightly on the price. The MM hubs are $84.95 plus shipping. Just a $15 booboo. Sorry.

#496665 - 25/08/01 09:40 PM Re: Manual Hub Locks
Synchro Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
The new factory Nissan manual hubs don't stick out as far as Warn and MileMarker hubs.

My Warn hubs stick out even with the wheel edge, which is a very bad thing. Both of them already have damage from rocks.

The new factory hubs are the same height as the automatic hubs, and less prone to damage.

If they are around $100 a pair, I'll switch to them and unload my Warns (which were $125).

I agree. i'd be interested to know who made the Nissan hubs, though.

#496666 - 25/08/01 10:07 PM Re: Manual Hub Locks
IggyB Offline

Loc: Calgary, Alberta Canada
Just found what could be the manufacturer of the new Xterra hubs. Here are a few links and X is listed as a vehicle for which the hubs are available.
http://www.avm.com.br/products4.htm http://www.avm.com.br/products.htm

#496667 - 28/08/01 11:37 AM Re: Manual Hub Locks
X_Jeeper Offline

Loc: Averill Park, NY
Fired off a quick message to xterraparts.com and got this...

No, Sorry, It can not be added
Thanks, Randy

Courtesy Nissan
1777 North Central Expressway
Richardson, Texas 75080
800-527-1909 or 972-644-3942
Fax 800-382-7891 or 972-234-4924
courtesy@airmail.net www.courtesyparts.com
----- Original Message -----
To:
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2001 12:35 PM
Subject: Locking Hubs

> I was wondering if the locking hubs that come on the 2002 Xterra
(Enthusiast
> package) are available for purchase, the cost, and if they will fit my
> X?
>
> Gary
> http://www.xterragalactica.net

#496668 - 28/08/01 12:56 PM Re: Manual Hub Locks
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
They should bolt right on.

What if you damage one on a 2002 ? You can't get a replacement ?

Give it a month until they are available.

#496669 - 29/08/01 07:57 AM Re: Manual Hub Locks
stormy Offline

Loc: NH
At the risk of sounding dumb, are manual locking hubs engaged once you lock them? Or do you need to move the truck forward\backward to get them to lock? I thought once they are locked, then they're locked... confused

#496670 - 29/08/01 08:12 AM Re: Manual Hub Locks
X_Jeeper Offline

Loc: Averill Park, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by stormy:
At the risk of sounding dumb, are manual locking hubs engaged once you lock them? Or do you need to move the truck forward\backward to get them to lock? I thought once they are locked, then they're locked... confused

Once you engage the hub, by getting out and turning the hub to the "locked" position. The hub (tire and front axles) will be locked together. Then when you want 4x4 mode, just drop your xfer case lever to 4-hi (or stop and drop into 4-lo) when you want.

You can drive around like this though as OffroadX mentioned, you will be turning the axles and creating more rolling resistance.

To unlock, just turn the hub to the "free" or "unlock" position. No backing up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal