Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#496910 - 13/08/04 04:04 PM Re: Calmini SAS
silverxglider Offline

Loc: Andes, NY
No, alignment's OK. The front end is just catching some air. [Laughing]

#496911 - 13/08/04 09:43 PM Re: Calmini SAS
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
Quote:
Originally posted by DesertHB:
Myself and Cyclemut will be testing it out the weekend of the 20th
where 'bouts? i'm currently back in HB and wouldn't mind dragging my XJ out for some action... then we can test Steves claim "We've turned this Xterra into an XJ"
smile

#496912 - 13/08/04 10:12 PM Re: Calmini SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Somewhere in Cali. I'm arriving Friday morning, and leaving Sunday night.

Man, I can't wait to touch it. I've been looking at mine, seeing what all would have to disappear. A lot would go bye bye. I just wish I had a plasma cutter. Better that I don't, or it'd be in pieces already!

Going to start looking for an axle as soon as I get the trans in mine.

#496913 - 14/08/04 06:28 AM Re: Calmini SAS
DesertHB Offline

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Todrick:
where 'bouts? i'm currently back in HB and wouldn't mind dragging my XJ out for some action... then we can test Steves claim "We've turned this Xterra into an XJ"
smile
It looks like Anza Borrego. Friday looks like some basic testing over in the south end of the area, Smugglers Cave or there abouts. Saturday we might do Pinyon Mountain or just go and do some wash areas on the way to the drop off in Fish Creek and then to the Ocotillo Wells OHV area and cut across to the highway. Depending on time, maybe Coyote Creek. Sunday morning I think we may go over to the Truckhaven BLM area.
The temps might even be below 100. laugh

-Doug

#496914 - 14/08/04 11:57 PM Re: Calmini SAS
dano Offline

Loc: Ridgefield Park, NJ
FLy a digital camera out there too while you're both at it :p
But the man worthwhile
is the man who can smile
when his shorts are too tight in the seat.

#496915 - 15/08/04 08:02 AM Re: Calmini SAS
DesertHB Offline

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by dano:
FLy a digital camera out there too while you're both at it :p
Yup, I will have digital still and video.

-Doug

#496916 - 15/08/04 12:10 PM Re: Calmini SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Alittle late in the post to mention this, but this sure brings up a delima, should I get the current lift or wait and save.

Dont mind the delima, however. Its nice to have options. [ThumbsUp]

#496917 - 15/08/04 12:18 PM Re: Calmini SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Guess that would depend on what you wanted to do. If you think you'd get the SAS then I wouldn't waste your money lifting it right now just to do it temporarily. On the other hand if you don't see doing the SAS then knock yourself out and lift away.

#496918 - 15/08/04 12:33 PM Re: Calmini SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, I may just wait till I pay it off then do it,but then again I may do when possible.

#496919 - 15/08/04 08:45 PM Re: Calmini SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anyone seen this weekends Trucks....
Those rockwells would be sweet!!!!

#496920 - 17/08/04 10:07 AM Re: Calmini SAS
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
The X would be in a world of hurt trying to lug those things around, a front Rockwell setup w/ steering and brakes is 640 lbs. alone. A D44 is 240 lbs.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#496921 - 21/08/04 12:53 AM Re: Calmini SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

[Crybaby] [Crybaby] eek laugh [ThumbsUp]

heepers' here we come!!!

#496922 - 22/08/04 10:35 PM Re: Calmini SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ooooooohhhhhhh Baaaaaaabbbbbbbbyyyyyy!

Official review from an outsider (well, me, but I didn't design it):

I was able to inspect the pre-production unit that was installed on DesertHB's Xterra by taking it on several different, Southern California, trails.

The quality is (of course) excellent. The new crossmembers bolt in nicely, with zero modification for the old torsion bar crossmember mounts, the transmission crossmember mounts and the old front diff crossmember mounts. These all bolt up nicely.

The brace that ties the front frame together (between the two upper coilover hoops) is an excellent idea as well. This does two things. Helping to keep the front portion of the frame rigid, and keeping the hoops stable at the bottom of the mounts. The mount for the track bar is more solid than I expected. I was extremely impressed with that as well.

The integrated skid plates are a nice touch. Very sturdy. Although we didn't end up touching them, I had all the confidence in their durability and strength. Awesome combination, SAS and skids.

Looking at the steering, the drag link goes from behind the crossover link (tie rod link bar) to in front of it. I originally thought that it might touch, especially during full crank steering to the right, under full droop. But, zero witness marks after wheeling, full droop and stuff, with no touching. Good to go!

I'm told that a Caster Angle adjustment is going to be included in the actual production units. Although it's not needed for DesertHB's truck at the height that it's at now, some folks may decide to go higher (myself included) and will need it.

The steering effort is also very nice. The amount of steering effort is different (easier, due to the tie rods being further in distance from the center of the ball joint pivot than the OEM steering was), but is still quite responsive. It'll just take a little bit of getting used to, and you're back in the saddle, no problem.

The front control arms are very stout. With Johnny Joints at the back, very beefy. Smooth operation of both arms, during all obstacles. Won't be worrying about those on my truck, that's for sure. Installation is going to be critical at that point of the install however, as getting the joint body straight (with the vehicle static) will be key. The joint articulates beautifully with the control arm, but if the joint is tightened off center, it could contact the mount. Definately a place to take your time.

The only additions that I would personally suggest, would be the addition of steering stabilizer mounts. Bigger tires (33's plus), with the different steering geometry of the solid axle, make for some different steering feedback that a stabilizer would take care of. The other might be a manually adjustable brake proportioning valve. But that could be an add on, as the bigger front calipers (over OEM) just take a little bit more travel to engage (got used to it fairly quickly though). It would all depend on the axle and what brakes you ended up with.

We were able to really put the strenght of the SAS swap to the test this past weekend. Standing the truck on it's front axle (back wheel off the ground, doing a severe dropoff) and the vehicle was still solid. The articulation that was allowed, vs. the OEM IFS, is phenomenal. At the point of dropping off, the movement allowed was probably the difference between an endo down the obstacle, and driving it home that night. That's no exageration.

The kit's quality is a testimonial to Calmini's efforts to continue to give it's customer's the best it possibly can. My hat's off to Steve and the crew on a job well done.

I'll be in line for one of the kits, don't doubt that.

Although a 'formal review' was not asked for from me personally, I thought that I would go ahead and give my personal opinion on the SAS, as I percieved it. I really do love it. I'm not getting paid for my opinion. Although, DesertHB's hospitality is awesome. I don't think I've drank that much beer in a long time. I'd go with him anywhere, any time. He's a true wheeler and a gentlemen, no doubt.

#496923 - 22/08/04 11:15 PM Re: Calmini SAS
OffroadX Offline

Great to hear, not that it wasn't expected.

I have heard some concern about the strength of the crossmember that the radius arms mount to. NOT in the crossmember itself, but in the tabs from the frame rail that it bolts to. Some, including those that have done fabrication work, feel that they aren't strong enough to take the longitudinal load that the arms would put on the crossmember between them and could use some reinforcement.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#496924 - 22/08/04 11:30 PM Re: Calmini SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think that only time will tell. If a brace is needed there, then it is something that would not be hard to add on later.

#496925 - 23/08/04 08:07 AM Re: Calmini SAS
CALMINI Products Inc. Offline

Loc: Bakersfield, Ca.
Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
Great to hear, not that it wasn't expected.

I have heard some concern about the strength of the crossmember that the radius arms mount to. NOT in the crossmember itself, but in the tabs from the frame rail that it bolts to. Some, including those that have done fabrication work, feel that they aren't strong enough to take the longitudinal load that the arms would put on the crossmember between them and could use some reinforcement.

Brent
Brent, you need to shut up. You are not an engineer. Please stop your constant second guessing of anything that comes along. The process this kit is undergoing at this time is called durability testing. We will make the call with regards to the strength of that rear torsion bar crossmember. You, or any number of other backyard hacks should stick to what you have experienced, which in this case is nothing. When you have the ability to correctly calculate the bending moment of those stock crossmember tabs, and you can show me a legitimate problem to consider, then you may comment. In the meantime, stop trying to place a blemish on a design that has not yet been completely tested. You're not the one who has to listen to some potential customer bring this shit up 6 months from now when this kit is in production. In this case, why not try to sit back and learn something from watching the process be completed.

When we are done testing, I will make my comments, and release information on the kit.

#496926 - 23/08/04 09:30 AM Re: Calmini SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

[Spit]

I look forward to seeing more on this! The bolt on concept is so simple, yet ingenious.

Almost makes me wish I'd waited to SAS my truck (almost smile ) Mine works extremely well, but does not flex like this coilover setup does.

#496927 - 23/08/04 11:21 AM Re: Calmini SAS
Close1 Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally posted by CALMINI Products Inc.:
Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
[b]Great to hear, not that it wasn't expected.

Brent
Brent, you need to shut up. You are not an engineer. Please stop your constant second guessing of anything that comes along. The process this kit is undergoing at this time is called durability testing. We will make the call with regards to the strength of that rear torsion bar crossmember. You, or any number of other backyard hacks should stick to what you have experienced, which in this case is nothing. When you have the ability to correctly calculate the bending moment of those stock crossmember tabs, and you can show me a legitimate problem to consider, then you may comment. In the meantime, stop trying to place a blemish on a design that has not yet been completely tested. You're not the one who has to listen to some potential customer bring this shit up 6 months from now when this kit is in production. In this case, why not try to sit back and learn something from watching the process be completed.

When we are done testing, I will make my comments, and release information on the kit.[/b]
[LOL] [ThumbsUp]

#496928 - 23/08/04 11:30 AM Re: Calmini SAS
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Brent, you need to shut up.
Bravo laugh

#496929 - 23/08/04 01:39 PM Re: Calmini SAS
Craigs_Tonka Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Quote:
[b]Brent, you need to shut up.
Bravo laugh [/b]
Best post combo I've seen lately. [ThumbsUp] [Spit]

I understand Steve's frustration as I've experienced it first hand while doing fabrication. It seems everyone is an arm chair quarterback when it comes to this stuff. Everyones got an opinion, even if they have zero relative knowledge to base it from.

#496930 - 23/08/04 01:49 PM Re: Calmini SAS
OffroadX Offline

Whoa, whoa, whoa! I was just passing on what I was told by another fabricator doing a radius-arm SAS on an Xterra not 10 miles down the road from me, also using the factory crossmember location to locate one that incorporates the radius arm mounts. He just doesn't feel that there's enough strength there to take the load, but that's his opinion. I don't know squat about this sort of thing and don't pretend to.

I have no doubt at all that Calmini has put plenty of thought into this kit, and of course we're not seeing the final product. If there's any weakness here, I'm sure you will address it. And if there isn't, there's no need to get so defensive, just back up your assessment as I'm sure you can and there's nothing more to be said on the topic. I'm not trying to cast doubt on your engineering, just sharing what one of your fellow fabricators noted. Take it as you please, but don't kill the messenger.

Edit: I do see your point about being nagged about what is probably a non-issue or one that you would address on your own. That was not the intention at all.

Brent

#496931 - 23/08/04 01:49 PM Re: Calmini SAS
Paul H Offline

Loc: Mt. Zion, IL
Sounds excellent!!!

Can't wait for testing to be complete so we can get full info.

BTW need a test vehicle from the midwest? Willing to travel hehe laugh

#496932 - 23/08/04 02:30 PM Re: Calmini SAS
Stone4x4 Offline

Loc: Chandler AZ
No,no,no Paul. I am the test vehicle. Any day now Steve will call me and say it's time to swap yer truck. I just know it!!

#496933 - 23/08/04 02:46 PM Re: Calmini SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was pleased as punch when my buddy came over and showed me his new Jeep and said there is no way I could hang with him, Well I set the record straight and showed him the SAS.

Cant wait.

#496934 - 23/08/04 02:57 PM Re: Calmini SAS
imacsae Offline

Loc: El Paso Tx.
Brent please don't compare your fabricator buddy to calmini. I am tired of silly comparisons like that. Nobody's fabrication can compare to the products put out by a professional company who spends so much time on development and testing. It is ridiculous to compare a one garage operation to calmini. If you don't know what you are talking about then keep quiet. The fact that you are repeating what someone else told you and representing it as your own thoughts proves you don't know anything about it.

That being said the kit looks great put me in line.

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal