Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#497760 - 21/09/06 08:39 AM Kaiser SAS
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Okee - well I placed the BIG call yesterday. A friend of mine picked up an axle (in great condition) for me a few weeks ago and has been going through it.

I've got *almost* all the parts necessary for the axle buildup and they said the SAS kit should be here in 7-11 business days. I expect/hope to have this sucker done in about a month laugh

The only thing I skimped on was the sway bar (I'll probably get it... but later) and the locker (I'm going to go open diff for the moment and get an ARB in a few months when I've got the Calmini bill paid down a little).

Pics will continue to appear HERE as I go through this process. There are a few in there already of my gears etc.

#497761 - 21/09/06 08:42 AM Re: Kaiser SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

awesome... keep us updated, and more pics please.

what was the shipping charge from calmini?

#497762 - 21/09/06 08:44 AM Re: Kaiser SAS
Kaiser Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by steelX:
awesome... keep us updated, and more pics please.

$200 - truck freight

#497763 - 21/09/06 08:52 AM Re: Kaiser SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser:
Quote:
[b]awesome... keep us updated, and more pics please.

$200 - truck freight[/b]
cool, that was everything but the swar bar right???

i gotta know how much i need before i call them soon.

#497764 - 21/09/06 08:52 AM Re: Kaiser SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

[ThumbsUp]

#497765 - 21/09/06 09:42 AM Re: Kaiser SAS
Kaiser Offline

Yeah, $3654 shipped for:
1) the SAS kit
2) 2 shocks w/travel resivoirs
3) 2 8" springs
4) 2 12" springs
5) front driveshaft
6) rear replacement system

'course shipping will likely vary based on where you are.

Since we're talking costs, here are some more:
1) Rusty POS axle I ended up deciding not to use - $125
2) A bunch of flapper discs, grinding discs and other random stuff from harbor freight - ~$100
3) Extra D44 hub from Ebay that I don't need since I got a better axle - $30 shipped
4) Good axle - $350
5) H233B 5.142 gears - $450 shipped
6) Warn premium hubs, open carrier, gear install kit, and Yukon 5.125 gears from Complete Offroad, $406 shipped
7) U joints, ball joints, brake calipers, rotors, and a bunch of other random axle parts at Auto Zone - ~$360
8) Purple Cranium D44 diff guard ~$120 shipped

Future:
1) D44 ARB air locker, $700
2) Calmini SAS sway bar system $400

...And as long as I can keep my brain from adding those numbers up I will be able to retain my sanity.

#497766 - 21/09/06 09:51 AM Re: Kaiser SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

...And as long as I can keep my brain from adding those numbers up I will be able to retain my sanity.
$5595 laugh

Good luck with the process! [ThumbsUp]

#497767 - 21/09/06 10:09 AM Re: Kaiser SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Yeah, $3654 shipped for:
1) the SAS kit
2) 2 shocks w/travel resivoirs
3) 2 8" springs
4) 2 12" springs
5) front driveshaft
6) rear replacement system

i was figuring right around the same in $$$$ amount.

#497768 - 21/09/06 10:23 AM Re: Kaiser SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't want to know what it would cost to ship that out to me.. [Too much XOC]

#497769 - 21/09/06 01:17 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Theo I will bring it out to you when I move there!! If I ever can smile

#497770 - 21/09/06 05:31 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
Welcome to the dark side wink once you go SA you'll never go back!

Couple of things to watch for…

Radius arm bracket placement…level to the lower spring pad…tack weld…verify there good (take a picture, show CALMINI or whatever) before the finish weld

Rear springs…make sure you install the double military wrap in front, single in the rear on the shackle end… some people mistakenly installed them the other way around because the bushing sleeves which are wire-tied on where shipped on the wrong ends; bushing are the same but the smaller sleeve goes on the shackle end with the corresponding smaller bolt. If yours come wrong just switch the sleeves, press out easily my hand.

Consider a gusset or double sheer bracket for the track bar mount on the passenger side. Use misalignment spacers on that bolt before & after it goes through the track bar hiem.

When everything is done cycle the suspension/turn the steering back/forth and make sure nothing binds or rubs.

At full drop on a lift, tires in the air check the front driveshaft and hand rotated 360 degrees to check for any binding.

Seriously think about the front sway bar…much better highway handling at speed especially on the turns and helps stability offroad also.

Good luck
Brian

#497771 - 21/09/06 06:10 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Xtoolbox:
Welcome to the dark side wink once you go SA you'll never go back!

Couple of things to watch for…

Radius arm bracket placement…level to the lower spring pad…tack weld…verify there good (take a picture, show CALMINI or whatever) before the finish weld

Rear springs…make sure you install the double military wrap in front, single in the rear on the shackle end… some people mistakenly installed them the other way around because the bushing sleeves which are wire-tied on where shipped on the wrong ends; bushing are the same but the smaller sleeve goes on the shackle end with the corresponding smaller bolt. If yours come wrong just switch the sleeves, press out easily my hand.

Consider a gusset or double sheer bracket for the track bar mount on the passenger side. Use misalignment spacers on that bolt before & after it goes through the track bar hiem.

When everything is done cycle the suspension/turn the steering back/forth and make sure nothing binds or rubs.

At full drop on a lift, tires in the air check the front driveshaft and hand rotated 360 degrees to check for any binding.

Seriously think about the front sway bar…much better highway handling at speed especially on the turns and helps stability offroad also.

Good luck
Brian
thats some good advice there. thanx. [ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp]

one question ive had, seems i cant find an answer to. the calmini kit doesnt replace the tie rod and drag link does it? or does it replace one and not the other?

#497772 - 21/09/06 06:32 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
[b]Welcome to the dark side...

one question ive had, seems i cant find an answer to. the calmini kit doesnt replace the tie rod and drag link does it? or does it replace one and not the other?[/b]
I believe it replaces the drag link but not the tie rod. A standard Waggy 44 tie rod can be used...

Wow, Kaiser. Congrats!

#497773 - 21/09/06 06:46 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffW:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]Welcome to the dark side...

one question ive had, seems i cant find an answer to. the calmini kit doesnt replace the tie rod and drag link does it? or does it replace one and not the other?[/b]
I believe it replaces the drag link but not the tie rod. A standard Waggy 44 tie rod can be used...

[/b]
thanx, thats the conclusion i had come to, just wanted some confirmation.

#497774 - 21/09/06 07:20 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
Kaiser Offline

I'm fairly sure from looking at pics that you keep both the stock tierod AND draglink - and Calmini just gives you a little extender/adapter that lets you hook up the draglink to the factory Nissan pitman arm (Note: I do know that the kit HAS to connect to a factory Nissan pitman arm. If you have the pitman from the Calmini steering system you have to switch it back out for the stock one).

I'll probably buy/make a heavy duty tierod/draglink at some point - but for starters I'll stay Jeep stock.

Thanks for the tips, Brian! Someone pointed me at the N4W thread about the trackbar and it sounds like Calmini is putting misalignment spacers in the kits now - but I'll double check.

#497775 - 21/09/06 08:51 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had some spacers in mine but we went and bought some from Spider Trax.

Also be sure to put some locktite on the track bar bolt on the P Side.

Make sure the Drag link and Tie rod are in good shape because you DO reuse them. Calmini ships the drag link adapter/extender.

Oh and I did finally break down for the front sway bar and it is a HUGE difference. Its like driving on rails. laugh

#497776 - 22/09/06 09:17 AM Re: Kaiser SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

there should be a new thread started about the calmini sas called "all the shit you need to know about the SAS and calmini doesnt tell you" then when you "search" its all in one place.

sorry for hi jacking your thread kaiser.

#497777 - 22/09/06 09:29 AM Re: Kaiser SAS
Kaiser Offline

Quote:
there should be a new thread started about the calmini sas called "all the shit you need to know about the SAS and calmini doesnt tell you" then when you "search" its all in one place.

Well this'll be that thread wink

#497778 - 22/09/06 09:49 AM Re: Kaiser SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
[b]there should be a new thread started about the calmini sas called "all the shit you need to know about the SAS and calmini doesnt tell you" then when you "search" its all in one place.

Well this'll be that thread wink [/b]
fair enough. [ThumbsUp]

#497779 - 22/09/06 02:05 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Glenn,

I'd take the SL off your hands but I just realized you've only done a PML. Too bad cause I would have paid....

brantley

#497780 - 22/09/06 02:31 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
Kaiser Offline

Yeah - the only thing that's coming off the truck that is really worth anything is the front locker - but there are already a couple people lined up who want it.

#497781 - 25/09/06 04:33 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
KCX Offline

Loc: Kansas
Congrats on the big purchase Glenn smile Is the plan to finish the SAS before making it up to Disney OK xcursion on October 20-22nd?

#497782 - 25/09/06 05:04 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
Kaiser Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by KCX:
Congrats on the big purchase Glenn smile Is the plan to finish the SAS before making it up to Disney OK xcursion on October 20-22nd?
I'm going to try to, yeah. If it doesn't work out in time then I'll have to ride along with someone because I just put the 5.14's in the rear - so I'm effectively 2WD until the swap is done.

I plan to be there, though, even if I have to drive my Honda wink

#497783 - 01/10/06 05:15 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Congrats on the big purchase Glenn Is the plan to finish the SAS before making it up to Disney OK xcursion on October 20-22nd?
Here is our schedule (I guess I should add I am the other half of doing this SAS).

This weekend our goal was to get the 5.14s in and start on rebuilding the front axle. So far I have put in the new bearing races in the Dana 44, built up the new open carrier, and started the pinion bearing preload pack. I might get off my lazy ass and go back in the garage and get the pinion bearing preload setup proper and maybe even get to where I can run a pattern.

So our schedule:

This weekend get rear gears setup and in X (done)
Start on Dana 44 build (started)

Next weekend Kasier installs the rear of the kit (assuming the kit arrives) and when I get back from my business trip I will try to get the front axle completed and the mounts welded on.

The weekend of the 13th, 14th and 15th install and finish the SAS ready for Disney.

All of this hinges on the kit arriving before next weekend or shortly after and Kasier getting the rear springs installed before the truck arrives at my house on the 13th.

Pics

5.14 gear setup

#497784 - 01/10/06 08:17 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

looks good.. please post lots of pics.. I will prob. be doing this in the future and the more pics the better.. Best of luck with this. [drink]

#497785 - 01/10/06 09:27 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, finally got the PB preload right at 15in/lbs which should be healthy for new gears. Now I have to start running patterns which is going to suck because as you change pinion depth you have to adjust PB preload shims.

#497786 - 04/10/06 01:53 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
Kaiser Offline

No SAS for me for the Disney run... apparently "it is in stock and it will ship in 2-4 days" really means "it is NOT in stock and it will ship in a month... if we feel like it... but don't hold your breath becuase we're concentrating on SEMA right now and frankly your $4000 order isn't very important to us because we know you have nowhere else to go." [Freak]

#497787 - 04/10/06 01:55 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
No SAS for me for the Disney run... apparently "it is in stock and it will ship in 2-4 days" really means "it is NOT in stock and it will ship in a month... if we feel like it... but don't hold your breath becuase we're concentrating on SEMA right now and frankly your $4000 order isn't very important to us because we know you have nowhere else to go." [Freak]
And you yelled at me for bashing them [Finger] lol

Typical Calmini

#497788 - 04/10/06 01:57 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
that sucks balls.

#497789 - 04/10/06 02:00 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
Kaiser Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by WolfmanX:
Quote:
[b]No SAS for me for the Disney run... apparently "it is in stock and it will ship in 2-4 days" really means "it is NOT in stock and it will ship in a month... if we feel like it... but don't hold your breath becuase we're concentrating on SEMA right now and frankly your $4000 order isn't very important to us because we know you have nowhere else to go." [Freak]
And you yelled at me for bashing them [Finger] lol

Typical Calmini[/b]
Well, what I was getting onto you about was scaring new people off by saying the kit was unsafe. I think it is a quality kit - but their customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

I waited 3-4 months for my bumper being told it would ship in the next "week or two" the whooole time.

#497790 - 04/10/06 02:39 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
because we know you have nowhere else to go." [Freak]
scary thing is, if slr or anybody else made an sas kit for the xterra, it would probably run about twice as much. [Freak]

#497791 - 04/10/06 04:16 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
[b]because we know you have nowhere else to go." [Freak]
scary thing is, if slr or anybody else made an sas kit for the xterra, it would probably run about twice as much. [Freak] [/b]
Ahh, yeah true, but the quality would also be twice as good.

#497792 - 04/10/06 04:59 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]because we know you have nowhere else to go." [Freak]
scary thing is, if slr or anybody else made an sas kit for the xterra, it would probably run about twice as much. [Freak] [/b]
Ahh, yeah true, but the quality would also be twice as good.[/b]
dont get me wrong, i think they make solid stuff. i just dont know why the stuff is priced way out of line with everyone elses. customer service is not that important to me. once you have the product, the likelyhood of having to deal with said company again is minimal unless you have a problem or buy something else from them.

not worth an xtra $$$$ for basically the same stuff, in my opinion.

#497793 - 04/10/06 06:01 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
quote:
because we know you have nowhere else to go." [Freak]
Ahh, yeah true, but the quality would also be twice as good.[/b]
dont get me wrong, i think they make solid stuff. i just dont know why the stuff is priced way out of line with everyone elses. customer service is not that important to me. once you have the product, the likelyhood of having to deal with said company again is minimal unless you have a problem or buy something else from them.

not worth an xtra $$$$ for basically the same stuff, in my opinion.

Not to hijack the thread, but the extra $$$ is not a result of customer service. The extra cost comes from the added time that goes in to every product. IMO Calmini only goes as far as they have to go to put out a product that will "work" at a low cost. While SLR for example, goes that far and then three steps more, using higher quality metals, superior design techniques, heat treating, superior weld quality and so on. Do you think Steve at Calmini sits there and manufactures every Upper Control Arm that goes out? No, it gets outsourced. Spencer does it all, and his high standards go in to every product.

Most importantly, they stand behind their products. They don't make excuses or try to blame the customer.

I'm not an SLR rep by any means, I have just discovered facts that were already there. I gave Calmini a chance. They blew it. [ThumbsDown]

NOW BACK TO THE SAS JOB

#497794 - 04/10/06 06:06 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

NOW BACK TO THE SAS JOB
agreed, but since we are here and it is kinda on topic, is anyone else(company), even considering making an sas kit? or will we be stuck with calmini. i dont want a custom fab yourself kinda deal.

#497795 - 04/10/06 06:31 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
DesertHB Offline

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
Not to hijack the thread, but the extra $$$ is not a result of customer service. The extra cost comes from the added time that goes in to every product. IMO Calmini only goes as far as they have to go to put out a product that will "work" at a low cost. While SLR for example, goes that far and then three steps more, using higher quality metals, superior design techniques, heat treating, superior weld quality and so on. Do you think Steve at Calmini sits there and manufactures every Upper Control Arm that goes out? No, it gets outsourced. Spencer does it all, and his high standards go in to every product.

Most importantly, they stand behind their products. They don't make excuses or try to blame the customer.

I'm not an SLR rep by any means, I have just discovered facts that were already there. I gave Calmini a chance. They blew it. [ThumbsDown]

NOW BACK TO THE SAS JOB

Jason,

Everyone has issues, but just to set the record straight.
Calmini works on a product until it is as right as they can get it. Must I remind you the reason why SLR is not on XOC currently is because Ian tossed him off because they had upper control arm and rear spring pack issues that they refused to resolve? It's my understanding that they did finally get around to fixing things, but it took them a very long time to do so. So long in fact a number of folks ended up buying whole new kits from Calmini. Everyone has an issue or two in a product line. I personally never had an issue getting something resolved.
Calmini does their welding in house (far better than any welds than I’ve seen on SLR products –IMO), it is not outsourced. Some parts of the manufacturing processes do have to be done outside including those parts that have to be forged.
Some products sell out and have to be restocked and sometimes products take longer to restock than others and sometimes there are delays. I make no excuse when someone says that a product has shipped and it hasn’t, that’s poor customer service.
As for SLR being so honest and upfront about things. They literally stole the design for their “Econo” line of products from Calmini. Lastly Spencer has never made any efforts to pay me back for a steering system that I sold back to him. I had left numerous voice mails, sent emails with not even a “the check is in the mail”. A member of XOC even approached him about it a few years back. In short, I hope Spencer gets run over by one of his own trucks.

-Doug

#497796 - 04/10/06 06:51 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
Kaiser Offline

Well guys, color me confused but happy. I got a call from Calmini this evening saying that it was ready to ship. Mebbe we can get it done in time for Disney after all...

As to the SLR VS Calmini debate - people have had great experiences with both companies - and people have had jaw-droppingly horrible experiences with both as well. I think the whole offroad parts industry needs to up its standards of customer service and communication a little.... but now that my stuff is on the way I'm having a hard time keeping hold of the vitriol laugh

#497797 - 04/10/06 10:15 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by DesertHB:
[b]Originally posted by WolfmanX:

NOW BACK TO THE SAS JOB

Jason,

Calmini works on a product until it is as right as they can get it. Must I remind you the reason why SLR is not on XOC currently is because Ian tossed him off because they had upper control arm and rear spring pack issues that they refused to resolve? It's my understanding that they did finally get around to fixing things, but it took them a very long time to do so. So long in fact a number of folks ended up buying whole new kits from Calmini. Everyone has an issue or two in a product line. I personally never had an issue getting something resolved.
Calmini does their welding in house (far better than any welds than I’ve seen on SLR products –IMO), it is not outsourced. Some parts of the manufacturing processes do have to be done outside including those parts that have to be forged.
Some products sell out and have to be restocked and sometimes products take longer to restock than others and sometimes there are delays. I make no excuse when someone says that a product has shipped and it hasn’t, that’s poor customer service.
As for SLR being so honest and upfront about things. They literally stole the design for their “Econo” line of products from Calmini. Lastly Spencer has never made any efforts to pay me back for a steering system that I sold back to him. I had left numerous voice mails, sent emails with not even a “the check is in the mail”. A member of XOC even approached him about it a few years back. In short, I hope Spencer gets run over by one of his own trucks.

-Doug[/b]
As said above, everyone has had different experiences. Fist off, you should know I have utmost respect for you Doug. I think you are a killer guy.

Secondly, I also understand that Calmini is a great supporter of the Nissan market, and I respect that as well.

My experiences with their products has been sub-par. Like I said, everyone has different opinions. Afterall, you pretty much get the royal treatment from Calmini. Sadly, not everybody gets the same.

To each his own.

#497798 - 05/10/06 09:48 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
DesertHB Offline

Quote:
Quote:
[b][b]Originally posted by WolfmanX:

NOW BACK TO THE SAS JOB

Jason,

-Doug[/b]
As said above, everyone has had different experiences. Fist off, you should know I have utmost respect for you Doug. I think you are a killer guy.

Secondly, I also understand that Calmini is a great supporter of the Nissan market, and I respect that as well.

My experiences with their products has been sub-par. Like I said, everyone has different opinions. Afterall, you pretty much get the royal treatment from Calmini. Sadly, not everybody gets the same.

To each his own.[/b]
Same respect here for you. Like you said, to each his own.

BTW, your stickers went in the mail yesterday.

Take Care,

Doug

#497799 - 05/10/06 09:59 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Well guys, color me confused but happy. I got a call from Calmini this evening saying that it was ready to ship. Mebbe we can get it done in time for Disney after all... but now that my stuff is on the way I'm having a hard time keeping hold of the vitriol laugh
[ThumbsUp]

#497800 - 12/10/06 10:33 AM Re: Kaiser SAS
Kaiser Offline

OOOOOOOOOHHHHH HEELLLLL YEAHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As of 7:59am today my Calmini stuff is on a local Saia delivery truck headed my way - so I should get it sometime TODAY!!!!!!!

#497801 - 12/10/06 12:05 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
Quote:

Everyone has issues, but just to set the record straight. Calmini works on a product until it is as right as they can get it. Must I remind you the reason why SLR is not on XOC currently is because Ian tossed him off because they had upper control arm and rear spring pack issues that they refused to resolve? It's my understanding that they did finally get around to fixing things, but it took them a very long time to do so. So long in fact a number of folks ended up buying whole new kits from Calmini. Everyone has an issue or two in a product line. I personally never had an issue getting something resolved.

-Doug
Doug, just to clarify: SLR has been invited back to this board and can do so if they choose to advertise. They have progressed leaps and bounds in the last five years both in products and service. People here have had their issues with Calmini as well. It's just natural that some products aren't always home runs. Calmini/Full Traction is 20 times bigger than SLR. Their production is a much greater volume. The two companies just have a different focus.

There are no "unresolved" issues with any SLR products. SLR well works at something until it's right. As they did with the upper controll arms. Sometimes "as right as they can get it" isn't good enough.

As far as welding, are you really going to compare Calminis production line with SLR? I have seen stuff, including my own truck, that is just beautifull. To be honest, everyone seems very happy with Calmini stuff, but it is still mass production.

As a matter of fact, I'll put up some pictures of SLR welds and you put up the best Calmini stuff and we'll compare.

Again, nothing personal. I just hate to seea guy that isn't even on here being thrown under the bus. He too has a business to run. As a matter of fact, I'd have a beer with you again in a heartbeat. I just think your focus on your past poor experiences dominate your very emotional views.

#497802 - 12/10/06 03:17 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
Kaiser Offline

could you guys PLEASE quit watering down my SAS thread?

I was hoping this could be a repository of SAS information and pics that a new guy could browse through and see the ins and outs.

#497803 - 12/10/06 03:30 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
could you guys PLEASE quit watering down my SAS thread?

I was hoping this could be a repository of SAS information and pics that a new guy could browse through and see the ins and outs.
sorry, im afraid im the one that started all the b.s.

maybe we can get a mod to split this topic?

#497804 - 12/10/06 04:15 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
DesertHB Offline

Quote:
Quote:
[b]could you guys PLEASE quit watering down my SAS thread?

sorry, im afraid im the one that started all the b.s.

maybe we can get a mod to split this topic?[/b]
Better yet, how about a mod cleanig up all the non-SAS posts. We all have our views on certain folks and products. Most of this babble is also noted in other places on XOC. This thread was not the place to put them. Sorry.

Doug

#497805 - 12/10/06 06:10 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

sweet deal Kaiser.. Do they have to drop it off at a business addy?? or can it be dropped of at my front door??

#497806 - 12/10/06 11:22 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
Kaiser Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by xterra in HI:
sweet deal Kaiser.. Do they have to drop it off at a business addy?? or can it be dropped of at my front door??
It was shipped Saia. They CAN deliver to residential addresses - but you're much more likely to get it if it goes to a business... If you send it to your house I think you have to make a specific appointment to be there to recieve it - and if you miss it I'm sure there is a big hassle. I talked to the driver briefly and it sounds like sometimes they don't even bother to GO to residential dropoffs because they know you're not likely to be there anyway.

FYI, it looks like the kit was shipped without the famed misalignment washers. I'm going to try to get some tomorrow from a local offroad shop.

#497807 - 13/10/06 05:44 AM Re: Kaiser SAS
DesertHB Offline

FYI, it looks like the kit was shipped without the famed misalignment washers. I'm going to try to get some tomorrow from a local offroad shop.

You might want to give David or Steve a call to make sure that something has not changed in the kit before you go and pick them up.

The make sure you call Steve if you have any questions esp. the placement of the brackets that mount to the axle.

Have fun,

Doug

#497808 - 13/10/06 09:23 AM Re: Kaiser SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
[b]Originally posted by Kaiser:

You might want to give David or Steve a call to make sure that something has not changed in the kit before you go and pick them up.

The make sure you call Steve if you have any questions esp. the placement of the brackets that mount to the axle.

Have fun,

Doug[/b]
X2

#497809 - 13/10/06 09:26 AM Re: Kaiser SAS
Kaiser Offline

Quote:
[b]Originally posted by Kaiser:

Have fun,

Doug[/b]
Just talked to Dave. He said that the kit has not changed - but that it doesn't (and never did) require misalignment spacers on the diff/axle side. He said the people who have had problems had them because they cranked the front suspension up too high (going for more than the maximum recommended 5.5" of lift) and that put the trackbar in a position it was not intended to run in.

ETA: We're going to tack on the axle mounts tonight and them post pics of them here and on N4W to get the head-nod from everyone who has installed it so far that they're on right.

#497810 - 16/10/06 07:42 AM Re: Kaiser SAS
Kaiser Offline

Front install is done. It was a loooong weekend (And it rained for most of it... yay!)

There were a few issues... mostly due to very incomplete instructions - but for the most part the kit is pretty damn nice and went together well.

There are some things to finish up - breather tube, locknut on draglink, bolts for the front driveshaft yoke so we can put that on etc... but it's unquestionably a SFA vehicle now laugh

My pics HERE

#497811 - 16/10/06 07:46 AM Re: Kaiser SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

[ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp] Awesome

#497812 - 16/10/06 04:39 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Glen, you are gonna have to send an updated pic to Peterson's for the December issue.

#497813 - 17/10/06 12:28 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

congrats.
It looks great! [drink]

#497814 - 17/10/06 02:57 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Badass, dude!

#497815 - 17/10/06 03:13 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

NICE!!!! Now we needs picks w/out the saggy ass. Cuz you got the hard part done.

#497816 - 17/10/06 07:48 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
Kaiser Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Alpine Spirit:
NICE!!!! Now we needs picks w/out the saggy ass. Cuz you got the hard part done.
How 'bout this?

The rear brake line is missing.... dunno if Calmini failed to pack it or if we just lost it confused

Is that a standard part you can get somewhere else?

#497817 - 17/10/06 07:52 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
Kaiser Offline

Maybe one of these days I'll take the rest of the foam off the radius arms [LOL]

#497818 - 17/10/06 08:13 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

kaiser that look awesome [ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp] [drink]

#497819 - 17/10/06 10:22 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

that looks bad ass.. congrats.. now go get some pics of it flexed out..

#497820 - 19/10/06 08:31 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

TO continue watering down this thread.

The welds on the axle brackets LOOK at least as good as the welds on that SLR arm.

The welds on the arms look awesome.

To finalize, a good looking weld means chit. Kasier has personally seen a GREAT looking weld fail. T

Now about the kit.

The cal kit is awesome, very well built and everything is VERY tough. I was impressed, especially when comparing it to some jeep lift kits.

The instructions sucked ass.

Things to know:

1. Get a locknut for the drag link to calmini conversion tube 7/8" 18pitch.

2. The cross bar goes on the outside of the front shock hoops.

3. to install the springs on the fox coilovers push up on the bottom spring mount and it will slide off..then remove the snap ring and slide the mount off.

4. Set the springs 1 1/4" down from top of threads to top small spring, then 3 1/8" down from top of threads to top of plastic spring spacer.

#497821 - 20/10/06 07:28 AM Re: Kaiser SAS
Kaiser Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by System-f:

1. Get a locknut for the drag link to calmini conversion tube 7/8" 14pitch.
That was 18 pitch, not 14. Right hand thread.

Available here: http://www.partsmikeparts.com/jam_nuts.htm

#497822 - 22/10/06 09:52 AM Re: Kaiser SAS
Robinhood150 Offline

Loc: Mesa, Az
So how does it drive on the street?

#497823 - 22/10/06 07:41 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

When I drove it the ride/drive was beautiful.

#497824 - 23/10/06 07:53 AM Re: Kaiser SAS
Kaiser Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Robinhood150:
So how does it drive on the street?
The steering it still a bit loose - but I blame that on it being 20 year old stock Jeep stuff. I'll be upgrading to a new tough DOM setup soon.

We took it up to Disney, OK this weekend (about a 5-6 hour drive) and it was surprisingly nice. You can definitely feel the heavy axle under there when you hit bumps - but that's to be expected.

At one point I had it up to 85mph and it was nice and smooth.

The rear end is already sagging pretty significantly, though. We have a Frontier axle handy (spring over) so I'll probably swap that in and go back to my stock Nissan shackles - that should come close to leveling me out.

#497825 - 23/10/06 12:05 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah that rear sags out some but with a SOA it could be fixed and like you said changing the shackles. That is my plan in the next few weeks also.

#497826 - 23/10/06 08:27 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
Robinhood150 Offline

Loc: Mesa, Az
That's good to hear Kaiser. Congrats.

#497827 - 16/11/06 07:16 AM Re: Kaiser SAS
Kaiser Offline

BTW - one thing that isn't mentioned on Calmini's page that is cool as hell is that they pre-assemble most of the stuff for you.

This doesn't sound like a huge deal - but it really makes a difference. There is no 'hardware kit' like most things come with these days (a big bag of random bolts and hardware) - every bolt, bushing, washer, heim etc comes already in the hole that it is supposed to be in. They said they even preset the heims to approximately the settings that they have on their prototype truck (i.e. they're not screwed all the way into the radius arms, trackbar etc - they're actually set properly) - so you just slap 'em in and go.

The coilovers weren't preassembled - but I can understand that as they are just reselling those parts - they don't make the springs or shocks...

#497828 - 18/11/06 01:24 AM Re: Kaiser SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's good news Kaiser...I'm looking forward to getting all the swap stuff in...already have the axle, and all should be done and swapped in by the end of January. How long did it take Calmini to get the swap kit to you, if you don't mind me asking? Trying to work out timing on the install, and it would help to know what they're average ship time is on the swap kit. Thanks!

#497829 - 18/11/06 04:07 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
Kaiser Offline

It's hard to remember now... I think it was about 3 weeks - which was about 2 weeks longer than they said it was going to take - but it got here.

#497830 - 18/11/06 05:14 PM Re: Kaiser SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
It's hard to remember now... I think it was about 3 weeks - which was about 2 weeks longer than they said it was going to take - but it got here.
That's good to hear...I was actually counting on it taking 3 to 4 weeks. Thanks for the info.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal