Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 190 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#49852 - 02/03/04 07:09 PM Re: LSD breakaway torque spec jaw-dropper
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
The pilots were reacting while piloting simulations of planes with spools...

Lets see, the plane's tires were gaining circumference due to the centripedal force as they spun faster....

The contact patches were smaller, and they left the ground altogether despite the winshield's downforce...

But, the added side wind forces on the larger circumference tires forced the plane to crab...

But only on the bottom...

so it rolled over and crashed.

Yeah,...all this makes perfect sense...

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#49853 - 02/03/04 09:03 PM Re: LSD breakaway torque spec jaw-dropper
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
The pilots were reacting while piloting simulations of planes with spools...

Lets see, the plane's tires were gaining circumference due to the centripedal force as they spun faster....

The contact patches were smaller, and they left the ground altogether despite the winshield's downforce...

But, the added side wind forces on the larger circumference tires forced the plane to crab...

But only on the bottom...

so it rolled over and crashed.

Yeah,...all this makes perfect sense...
The plane only crabs until touchdown. Once it's on the ground it has to point down the runway or it's in the weeds.

The tires are more round in cross section than car tires mainly to deal with the increase pressures 300psi in a tire isn't unusual. Centripedal forces don't do a whole lot to increase the circumference. The planes weight will deflect the tire more and flatten the contact patch.

The suggestion for reaction times were better than some wag out of the rectal database. (Wild assed guess pulled out of your ass) Driving you are constantly adjusting for irregularities in the pavement, winds, hills whatever. You don't even notice it because your reactions are faster than you think.

What's scary is when we test engine failures on takeoff the FAA mandates 2 seconds between engine cut and pilot reaction. 2 seconds can put you very close to being in the grass if you aren't careful. Learjet actually did this not too long ago, they wrapped a wing around a camera van taping the test.

#49854 - 02/03/04 09:36 PM Re: LSD breakaway torque spec jaw-dropper
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here's an easy way to put it, surprised i didn't think of it before:

If cars naturally produce downforce as they speed up (as some of you are suggesting), then why are spoilers and airdams needed?

http://wings.avkids.com/Curriculums/Sports/racing_summary.html
Look under "Teacher Text:", second paragraph.
http://www.heronsgate.milton-keynes.sch.uk/TFR2/aerodynamics/page1.html
check that out

Cars naturally become unstable at speed due to lift. The lift decreases the effective weight of the vehicle on the tires and in turn decreases the contact patch (I feel like i've said this before).

All i'm presenting are elementary concepts. If you have a solid concept all the math in the world can't undo it.

Justin

#49855 - 02/03/04 10:07 PM Re: LSD breakaway torque spec jaw-dropper
Hustler Offline

Loc: ogden,ut
Elementary concepts that have nothing to do with an LSD.

#49856 - 02/03/04 10:09 PM Re: LSD breakaway torque spec jaw-dropper
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by 03X&85150_4x4:
If cars naturally produce downforce as they speed up (as some of you are suggesting), then why are spoilers and airdams needed?
To add even more downforce.

Yes cars do generate lift, but not enough to decrease the weight by 2000+ lbs. which is about what you claimed with your 2" footprint to 1/2" footprint claim.

Give it up.

#49857 - 02/03/04 10:21 PM Re: LSD breakaway torque spec jaw-dropper
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Quote:
[b]If cars naturally produce downforce as they speed up (as some of you are suggesting), then why are spoilers and airdams needed?

Dude, give it up.
[/b]
That's the thing, spoilers and airdams DO NOT add downforce. They break lift by disrupting the airflow over and under the car. The only thing that actually adds downforce is an airfoil (inverted wing) as found on indy cars.

Justin

#49858 - 03/03/04 08:28 AM Re: LSD breakaway torque spec jaw-dropper
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
DAMMIT, this is my LSD thread, quit gumming it up with this contact patch crap! laugh

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#49859 - 03/03/04 07:00 PM Re: LSD breakaway torque spec jaw-dropper
Anonymous
Unregistered

Woulda started a new thread, but that's just so much work wink

Besides, you always seem to get more reponse from a hijack cool

No hard feelings, i hope.

Justin

#49860 - 03/03/04 07:08 PM Re: LSD breakaway torque spec jaw-dropper
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
[b]
Quote:
[b]If cars naturally produce downforce as they speed up (as some of you are suggesting), then why are spoilers and airdams needed?

Dude, give it up.
[/b]
That's the thing, spoilers and airdams DO NOT add downforce. They break lift by disrupting the airflow over and under the car. The only thing that actually adds downforce is an airfoil (inverted wing) as found on indy cars.

Justin[/b]
Properly designed you can get downforce just from the shape of the body. Wings will add to it, but most vehicles get some downforce of the front end and a little lift at the rear. Chrysler's ME412 prototype has a wing that it retracts at higher speeds because it's not really needed for downforce and it just adds drag that reduces top speed.

#49861 - 03/03/04 07:25 PM Re: LSD breakaway torque spec jaw-dropper
Anonymous
Unregistered

Kids with add have more focus than this posting.
This is a real trip the read these wandering bits of abstract neuron flashes.

#49862 - 16/07/04 01:10 PM Re: LSD breakaway torque spec jaw-dropper
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Now, here's the shocker. The 2001 and 2002 Xterra have the same 138-180 ft-lb. spec. However, the 2003 and 2004 have a PATHETIC 29-43 ft-lb. breakaway torque specified in the service manual. That's essentially useless, why even bother...
After two days of driving on pavement I decided to take the new truck on some dirt. First thing I wanted to test was the LSD.

I just couldn’t feel the LSD. What’s the best way to see its effect? I have a 2004 model, is there a way for me to verify the 29-43 ft-lb rating? Is there a way to increase the ft-lb rating of my LSD?

Thanks

#49863 - 17/07/04 11:34 AM Re: LSD breakaway torque spec jaw-dropper
OnlyOneDR Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tigran:
I just couldn’t feel the LSD... Is there a way to increase the ft-lb rating of my LSD?
Rebuild it. Or don't worry about it if you are not offroading it or driving a lot in low traction conditions.

Battleship - 2001 Frontier Desert Runner
NOAS Club Membership Coordinator and Treasurer 2016-2017
http://www.noas4x4club.com/

#49864 - 19/07/04 10:20 AM Re: LSD breakaway torque spec jaw-dropper
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'll be offroading it.
Is the rebuilt an easy task? Am I going to need new parts or just adjust the old ones?

#49865 - 26/07/04 04:45 PM Re: LSD breakaway torque spec jaw-dropper
Anonymous
Unregistered

To test it, jack up one side of the rear axle and remove the wheel. One way or another hook a torque wrench to the hub. It's easiest to use a hub plate for a slidehammer with a bolt through it. Apply force to the torque wrench and note what the reading is when the axle starts to move.

Justin

#49866 - 27/07/04 01:12 PM Re: LSD breakaway torque spec jaw-dropper
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
A true "rebuild" would involve several hundred dollars worth of parts, namely about two dozen clutch discs and plates at about $30 a pop. Modifying it is considerably cheaper assuming your existing clutch bits aren't worn out. All the information about doing so can be found in the backyard mechanic and possibly 4x4 sections. I've modified mine already but have yet to install it. I used a slightly different approach than has been used by others so far.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#49867 - 01/08/04 04:41 PM Re: LSD breakaway torque spec jaw-dropper
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the info. I was off-road the other day and going down a fairly steep/curvy trail (03-X). I stopped because I could see some Jeeps were coming up the trail some distance away.

I wanted to get a picture before moving out of the way for the Jeeps. I got out and realized the left rear tire was about a foot off the ground. Seemed like a good time to check out the LSD. I had my brother watch as I put it in reverse and started to back up. One front tire and the wheel in the air spun, the other rear did not. I had to pull forward and get a running start in reverse to back up.

I am fairly new at this and assume that the LSD works going forward and reverse!

Anyway, I was disappointed, as I had expected some grab from the rear tire still on the ground.

Make sense now, thanks again for the info.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal