Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 162 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#500503 - 09/05/07 03:01 PM Will a Dana 30 work for an SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Will a Dana 30 work as the doner axel for Calmini SAS kit for an 01 X?

A buddy of mine just purchased a early 90's cherokee that has been turned into a fairly tough rock crawler. With his purchase he got a bunch of parts. One piece is a fully built Dana 30 Axel that he's offered to give to me if it will.

Please let me know if I need to provide more information about the Axel. I've been dreaming of SAS'n my X and I've been on the two year plan paying off my X and saving up for the kit. If this will work or can be made to work my saving goal is less and I'll be SAS'n sooner than anticipated.

#500504 - 09/05/07 03:15 PM Re: Will a Dana 30 work for an SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Will it mate up to the kit? Don't know.
Would you want to? Hell no.
Why? Simple, a built D30 with chromo shafts will only ever be as strong as a D44 with stock shafts. There's a reason that most XJ (Cherokee) owners upgrade to a D44 for bigger (35-ish) tires, the D30s tend to break easily. The cost difference of building a D30 and a D44 isn't that much considering what you get when you build a 44.
You'd also have to make sure that the 30 is the same width as the 44 from the Waggy that the axle is supposed to come from (don't remember the track width of an XJ off the top of my head).

ETA: see if your buddy is willing to give you the axle to sell to some other jeeper that is starting to build up his/her XJ. Your buddy might say no, but that's the worst that can happen...the way I look at it, your buddy isn't going to use the axle for anything and if you use it on your X or he lets you sell it, he's still getting the same deal: giving you an axle to help you out with your build. My $0.02

#500505 - 09/05/07 07:56 PM Re: Will a Dana 30 work for an SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree. Although the D30 is not that bad of an axle if you already have it in your rig (aka Jeep), then it works well. If I had one extra it would not go on the X for a SAS. Do like Chef said and sell it if he is giving it to you and build a 44. You could most likely sell it on colorado4x4.org quickly.
Shawn

#500506 - 10/05/07 09:49 AM Re: Will a Dana 30 work for an SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you for the advice. I'll see if I can get it from him and sell it, split the comission, and use the funds to help build a D44.

#500507 - 10/05/07 02:35 PM Re: Will a Dana 30 work for an SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Plus, it's near impossible to match the 6 lug pattern in a D30.

#500508 - 12/05/07 11:48 AM Re: Will a Dana 30 work for an SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Rat:
Plus, it's near impossible to match the 6 lug pattern in a D30.
A Dana 44 out of a fullsize wagoneer might be just the ticket. It is easily swapped with several 5 and 6 bolt patterns.

Be careful what year your donor vehicle is. Older front 44's are only 19 spline. They also may or may not have 297x ujoints. And that's what most people running d30's pop all the time. Ujoints.

#500509 - 12/05/07 08:11 PM Re: Will a Dana 30 work for an SAS
xterra3202 Offline

Loc: Georgia
The 44's with 19 splines were around only before the mid 1970's and you probably wont come across one. The D30 is a great axle if it is used for the correct application. A 29 spline chromoly upgrade with a selectable locker will work if you dont use tons of right foot. The key is always to go "a fast as necessary and as slow as possile."

My current project is a 94 XJ and have no plans to toss the D30. Now the Chryslter 8.25...well ill just have to see about that one!!!

Tim

PS- The calmini SAS is specifically designed for a certain axle....the engineers did the work for you already!

Thomas Jefferson

#500510 - 12/05/07 08:42 PM Re: Will a Dana 30 work for an SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by xterra3202:
The 44's with 19 splines were around only before the mid 1970's and you probably wont come across one. The D30 is a great axle if it is used for the correct application. A 29 spline chromoly upgrade with a selectable locker will work if you dont use tons of right foot. The key is always to go "a fast as necessary and as slow as possile."

My current project is a 94 XJ and have no plans to toss the D30. Now the Chryslter 8.25...well ill just have to see about that one!!!

Tim

PS- The calmini SAS is specifically designed for a certain axle....the engineers did the work for you already!
Hmmm, I beg to differ about the 19 spline years. I had a 44 out of a 79 F250 that was 19 spline. Either way, it's easy enough to check, just pull the shaft.

Also, one possible good thing about a d30 is the outer shaft is actually a unit bearing set. Which means it's all enclosed, very easy to change on the trail, should you break one. 3 bolts and it's swapped.

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal