Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 137 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#504617 - 25/01/06 05:12 PM Re: Trip computer
Anonymous
Unregistered

According to my parts list, the cluster part number is different depending on tranny, 2 or 4 WD, and with or without VDC. But to answer the question, the 2005 4x4 Auto OR cluster is 24810-EA12D (coincidentally, that is the same part number for the S model.) The 2005 4x4 Auto SE cluster is 24810-EA48D, so they ARE different part numbers. Hope this helps. (Also coincidentally, the cost for the SE cluster is $53.35 cheaper!!)

#504618 - 25/01/06 06:40 PM Re: Trip computer
Anonymous
Unregistered

OK guys, here's the skinny.

It's a different cluster (unified meter) for the trip/dte computer. I've been inside my Fronty (which doesn't have either) and have tried to find a way to turn things on. Failing that, I went to my friendly back parts counter (the guys that deals strictly with us techs) and asked him to look up my VIN and another VIN that did have it (customer's rig).

We found that yes, there are 2 different part #'s for the unified meter between us. Which means, that you'd have to get the different instrument cluster to get the trip/dte computer.

It does appear to have the same LED panel there (mine has the lines for the trip/dte), but since the same company produces both instrument clusters, they're probably just using the same panel as a cost effective means of production.

I did get some interesting things to happen though.

Like, when I got the Fronty, no key fobs came with it. Didn't have security or keyless entry.

So, I 'borrowed' a customer's key fob, and attempted the 'key in 10 times in 7 seconds' routine to attempt to get the remote to program, and BAM(!), it worked! I then had keyless entry strictly because I programmed a remote to it (swear it didn't have the keyless entry, just power locks, windows and mirrors).

So, then I went back into the body control module again, with Consult II, and had it relearn itself. Since the computer now saw that there was a remote programmed, it turned on the security system.

Now I have keyless entry and a full security system because I programmed 1 remote to it, then had it relearn the bcm configuration.

But still no trip or dte. Won't be buying a unified meter for just that.

#504619 - 25/01/06 06:45 PM Re: Trip computer
Anonymous
Unregistered

trust me you dont really want to see your gas mileage all the time, its depressing. especially now that i got the 33" xterrains on there. it went from 15 range around town, down to like 12 mpg! [Crybaby] [Crybaby] [Crybaby]

#504620 - 26/01/06 12:49 AM Re: Trip computer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyclemut:
OK guys, here's the skinny.

It's a different cluster (unified meter) for the trip/dte computer.
Cyclemut, is the unified meter cluster a simple plug-and-play? What's the cost of the SE cluster?

#504621 - 26/01/06 07:27 AM Re: Trip computer
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have removed my cluster. It's actually pretty easy. Seems like an easy plug and play. So Cyclemut, do you think the trip functions would work if an OR Manual simply swapped meters?

#504622 - 26/01/06 04:54 PM Re: Trip computer
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm thinking that it would, as everything on the vehicle is CAN operated, and the information is available to the unified meter if it wants it.

As far as cost, I'll have to look that one up.

Plug and play sounds about right, but it'll take someone brave enough to plug in each other's meters.......(I'll leave that one alone, for now) to tell for sure.

#504623 - 26/01/06 05:58 PM Re: Trip computer
Anonymous
Unregistered

My parts list shows the SE cluster costs $246.40. I'm not convinced that the computer benefits outweigh the cost of a new one.

#504624 - 26/01/06 08:58 PM Re: Trip computer
Anonymous
Unregistered

And you'd have to send it out to get your mileage input correctly. It's stored in the cluster.

Bennies vs. cost.... Not for me. I'll just watch how fast the gauge goes down.

#504625 - 28/01/06 09:46 AM Re: Trip computer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Forgot about the mileage. Guess the plug and play idea is out of the question. Now...onto the mod of the current cluster.

#504626 - 28/01/06 11:07 AM Re: Trip computer
Anonymous
Unregistered

mjhott/Cyclemut

Thanks guys. That answers that then.

Nice trick with the security fob!

#504627 - 28/01/06 08:55 PM Re: Trip computer
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't think you could just mod the cluster. The service manual references a "Board Computer" in models that have a trip computer. It was cheaper for the cluster manufacturer to make only one display, but they are probably able to save money by just leaving the board computer off of non-SE models' clusters. Maybe in theory you could add the board computer, but I've had my cluster out, and it looks like messing with it would be a mistake. I saw the SE cluster for $192.00 on Woodmen's nissan parts site.

#504628 - 31/10/06 01:05 PM Re: Trip computer
Anonymous
Unregistered

So did anyone ever figure out if this was a possible mod?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal