Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#50820 - 02/11/05 08:26 PM Rubbery Shifter Action
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just purchased a new 2005 Xterra Off Road. I love the vehicle but the stock shifter has a "rubbery" feeling. Is anybody familar with a bushing upgrade for this transmission?

#50821 - 10/11/05 01:19 PM Re: Rubbery Shifter Action
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know what you mean. I'd be interested in this also.

Another question: Do the synchros in this thing ever loosen up? It feels like I almost have to rev-match on every upshift and downshift to get it to shift smoothly.

#50822 - 11/11/05 11:16 AM Re: Rubbery Shifter Action
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ya I have the same problem with the 6-speed in my 06. Not much you can do about it except cut the stick off 1-3". I haven't done it as yet but it's comming. I cut the stick off of my 02 and it cured the "rubbery" issue. I ripped the stock knob off of mine the day after I bought it and installed one of my Momo knobs. That helped a bit but the stick must be chopped to eliminate 80% of it. The 6-speed is really spongy you have to watch shifting from 5th to 6th as it wants to jump left between gears. The stick on mine has a bend in it about 5 inches down. I have not attempted to remove the center console as yet to see whats underneath. Soon though soon. Getting the radio out of the dash was a 90 minute job but not to bad. Perhaps the dremel and I will hookup this weekend.

Ekh.

#50823 - 11/11/05 12:31 PM Re: Rubbery Shifter Action
Anonymous
Unregistered

The 350z has the exact same transmission, so maybe you can switch out the shifters.

#50824 - 11/11/05 01:15 PM Re: Rubbery Shifter Action
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's not the transmission it's the shift lever length. Cut the dammed thing off its long so it acts like a lever. You probably can swap out the shift lever from a Z but why go to the trouble.
When in doubt garb the Dremel.

Ekh.

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal