Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#51031 - 20/02/07 11:34 PM Lockers and limited slip
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just wanted to get some input and opinions on lockers and lim slips. What are people running that works? I know some Xs came factory with a rear lim slip, do they work? Ive heard locker in the rear and lim slip in the front works good. ???

#51032 - 21/02/07 05:00 AM Re: Lockers and limited slip
Anonymous
Unregistered

For the first generation X's the limited slip is somewhat weak. Stronger on the older models and then detuned on the newer ones and breaks away way too soon. If you have LSD you should have an orange sticker on your rear diff pumpkin, or you can check your VIN number.

As far as lockers, you only have the choice of ARB. They work great both offroad and on the highway, but they are expensive. Calmini sells a front LSD, but it is $570. For that price, I would, and did, spend the extra money and install a front locker for about $160 more.

#51033 - 21/02/07 05:47 AM Re: Lockers and limited slip
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have rear LSD, and I honestly sometimes wonder if the thing even works. Most of the time I have to work the brake and gas pedal to work my way out of things. But lockers are aways off on the mod list.

#51034 - 21/02/07 06:05 AM Re: Lockers and limited slip
ATFrontier Offline

Loc: Loganville,Georgia
The rear LSD will work much better if when you need it you click the E brake 3-4 clicks. That will put enough pressure on the diff to engage better.

Just don't forget and leave it on or you'll start smelling burned brakes

#51035 - 21/02/07 05:29 PM Re: Lockers and limited slip
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by ATFrontier:
The rear LSD will work much better if when you need it you click the E brake 3-4 clicks. That will put enough pressure on the diff to engage better.
Interesting.... Anyone else tried this?

#51036 - 21/02/07 05:48 PM Re: Lockers and limited slip
Xorand Offline

Loc: LA (Lower Alabama)
Quote:
Originally posted by bpc:
Quote:
[b]The rear LSD will work much better if when you need it you click the E brake 3-4 clicks. That will put enough pressure on the diff to engage better.
Interesting.... Anyone else tried this?[/b]
Yup. Works decently well with an open diff, too. Helped me back out of this stuck.

#51037 - 21/02/07 06:10 PM Re: Lockers and limited slip
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
[b]The rear LSD will work much better if when you need it you click the E brake 3-4 clicks. That will put enough pressure on the diff to engage better.
i have, but not with the e-brake, i just 2 foot it. works pretty good.

#51038 - 21/02/07 06:37 PM Re: Lockers and limited slip
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello, To have or make your Xterra a true 4x4..you need to add lockers and/or limited slip units, prefer front and rear.

The utimate set-up is locking lockers front and rear. 2nd best is locking lockers in the rear and a limited slip unit in front. 3rd best is just a locking locker in the rear.

Not all brands perform the same. Some are built better and stronger than others. Xterra's have a very tiny amount of choices ( I think two only).

Remember w/out the limited slips only the opposite side wheels (f&R) that are touching the ground. Once one tire is off the ground...alll the power will go to the spinning wheel, unless you have a locker or LSD units.

Yes! many times you will not need to have these? Once you get struck.....make sure you have a tow strap and a friend around.

Good to have for muddy roads,lots of sand places, and hill climbing. Where you see ruts dug-out...are mostly from vehicles that do not have any kind of Lockers/LSD's.

Once you have experience using them...can't live with-out them. Off course we go places where it makes a big difference on coming home early and in your own truck. .........Aloha

#51039 - 21/02/07 07:25 PM Re: Lockers and limited slip
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Yeah - braking helps...As all the torque goes to the fastest tire....making them turn the same speed helps immensly...so braking them, so they are both stopped/slowed to the same speed, always has potential.

The '03's and '04's have the worst break away torque, the '00-02's have a better break away figure.

The '05+'s, for the OR models, can come with a factory Locker....well worth it.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#51040 - 21/02/07 07:37 PM Re: Lockers and limited slip
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Kona Hawaii:
Hello, To have or make your Xterra a true 4x4..you need to add lockers and/or limited slip units, prefer front and rear.

The utimate set-up is locking lockers front and rear. 2nd best is locking lockers in the rear and a limited slip unit in front. 3rd best is just a locking locker in the rear.

Not all brands perform the same. Some are built better and stronger than others. Xterra's have a very tiny amount of choices ( I think two only).

Remember w/out the limited slips only the opposite side wheels (f&R) that are touching the ground. Once one tire is off the ground...alll the power will go to the spinning wheel, unless you have a locker or LSD units.

Yes! many times you will not need to have these? Once you get struck.....make sure you have a tow strap and a friend around.

Good to have for muddy roads,lots of sand places, and hill climbing. Where you see ruts dug-out...are mostly from vehicles that do not have any kind of Lockers/LSD's.

Once you have experience using them...can't live with-out them. Off course we go places where it makes a big difference on coming home early and in your own truck. .........Aloha
So, you're telling me that my 4x4 Xterra when it had open diffs wasn't a real 4x4???
Lockers and Limited Slips (real ones with good breakaway numbers) are great and help you move up to the next level of trail but totally not necessary...kinda like 4:1 t-case gears.

#51041 - 22/02/07 04:08 AM Re: Lockers and limited slip
TJ Offline

I'm adding - the front LSD's, while a help on the trail, eat your tires on the road....the people I know who ran them found that the LSD fronts were very hard on tire wear, as the steering requires that the tire on the inside and out side of a turn rotate at different speeds...so a lot of tire scrubbing was going on.

The nice thing about a selectable locker is that you can leave it off unless you need it...saving wear and tear on the driveline, and, on the tires.

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

#51042 - 22/02/07 04:57 AM Re: Lockers and limited slip
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Same person who posted they "settled" for an X..you know, if you don't like it, you could trade it in on one of those FJ's Or Heeps you seem to love so much.

#51043 - 22/02/07 04:59 AM Re: Lockers and limited slip
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by South Side Ninja:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
i have, but not with the e-brake, i just 2 foot it. works pretty good.[/b]
I'm a 2 footer as well... TJ is right though, my 03 just wants to spin, i'm sure the S/C doesn't help in these situations. I will try the e-brake thing next time though.

#51044 - 22/02/07 06:04 AM Re: Lockers and limited slip
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would like to point out to those using the brake pedal to aid the LSD that about 70% of your pedal brake goes to the front wheels. Not a good thing if you are trying to assist your rear LSD axle in pushing you forward. The parking brake will serve you much better in locking up the diff since it is a mechanical pull on the rear brakes only.
When money permits I will put a in a locker for sure but with a little parking brake the limited slip works better than most think.
Personally I would not put LSD in the front of a daily driver. The extra wear on the tires would pay for the difference between a LSD and an ARB in no time.

#51045 - 22/02/07 07:16 AM Re: Lockers and limited slip
GrillmasterP Offline

Loc: Houston
Quote:
Originally posted by ChefTyler:
So, you're telling me that my 4x4 Xterra when it had open diffs wasn't a real 4x4???
In off camber or wheel spinning situations

2wd = 1wd
4wd = 2wd
4wd (single locked) = 3wd
4wd (dual locked) = 4wd
4wd (DL) + winch = 5wd smile

#51046 - 22/02/07 07:54 AM Re: Lockers and limited slip
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by GrillmasterP:
Quote:
[b]So, you're telling me that my 4x4 Xterra when it had open diffs wasn't a real 4x4???

2wd = 1wd
4wd = 2wd
4wd (dual locked) = 4wd
4wd (DL) + winch = 5wd smile [/b]
Well layed out. [ThumbsUp]

#51047 - 22/02/07 04:14 PM Re: Lockers and limited slip
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
I'm adding - the front LSD's, while a help on the trail, eat your tires on the road....the people I know who ran them found that the LSD fronts were very hard on tire wear, as the steering requires that the tire on the inside and out side of a turn rotate at different speeds...so a lot of tire scrubbing was going on.

The nice thing about a selectable locker is that you can leave it off unless you need it...saving wear and tear on the driveline, and, on the tires.
Is this why my left rear is wearing so much faster than the right? Even with tire rotations? Also, just so I understand, the locker is selectable only when you want traction to both wheels, and when not selected, in effect you have a open rear end?

#51048 - 22/02/07 04:55 PM Re: Lockers and limited slip
Anonymous
Unregistered

[/QUOTE]Is this why my left rear is wearing so much faster than the right? Even with tire rotations? Also, just so I understand, the locker is selectable only when you want traction to both wheels, and when not selected, in effect you have a open rear end?[/QB][/QUOTE]

That is correct, assuming that you have an open diff to begin with, and since ARB lockers are for an open diff not a LSD, that is what you would have

#51049 - 22/02/07 05:33 PM Re: Lockers and limited slip
TJ Offline

Just the left?

I assume you've got an LSD?

It works (Conceptually) like this....the two sides of the axle are held together by friction...and, they roll along at the same rate as each other.

When you go around a turn....the outside tire has to go faster than the inside tire (Like those oval runner's tracks, where the guy on the inside lane has to start way behind the others...)

So - we have two tires turning at the same rate...but, one of them is too slow (The outside one...) to keep up....and tension starts to build, and the drive train starts to get torqued by the difference...

At some point, the torque that builds up, is more than the friction holding the two sides together can hold....and it lets go.

The torque it lets go at is called the break away torque.

If you pretty much only turn in one direction, I can see that leading to uneven wear, rather than just faster overall wear...

But, assuming you have a route that is more balanced, turn-wise...left rear only wear sounds like something else.

You might want to have your thrust angle, or damage to the axle/hub checked for example.

laugh

#51050 - 23/02/07 06:37 AM Re: Lockers and limited slip
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by T-Ray:
Quote:
Originally posted by GrillmasterP:
[b]
Quote:
[b]So, you're telling me that my 4x4 Xterra when it had open diffs wasn't a real 4x4???

2wd = 1wd
4wd = 2wd
4wd (dual locked) = 4wd
4wd (DL) + winch = 5wd smile [/b]
Well layed out. [ThumbsUp] [/b]
Don't get me wrong, I love my locker (soon to be lockers) and winch but I have driven trails (pre-locker/winch) here in Colorado that people said I would never make with two open diffs. I just have an issue with Kona telling me my X wasn't really a 4x4 in the days before lockers.

Also, for GraniteX, the ARB replaces the entire carrier so it doesn't matter if you have an LSD or open diff prior to getting an ARB. If you were trying to make a lockrite or some other lunchbox locker work, then yeah, you'd need to make sure that you had an open carrier.
[Wave]

#51051 - 23/02/07 07:05 AM Re: Lockers and limited slip
Anonymous
Unregistered

so if i have an LSD, what are my product choices in getting a locker for the rear?

#51052 - 23/02/07 07:31 AM Re: Lockers and limited slip
Anonymous
Unregistered

ARB air locker....

#51053 - 23/02/07 08:36 AM Re: Lockers and limited slip
GrillmasterP Offline

Loc: Houston
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I love my locker (soon to be lockers) and winch but I have driven trails (pre-locker/winch) here in Colorado that people said I would never make with two open diffs. I just have an issue with Kona telling me my X wasn't really a 4x4 in the days before lockers.
Driver behind the wheel plays a big factor.

My DD - is a 4wd Tacoma-
I learned to wheel it open diffs.
I surprised alot of my budies (including myself) on a few trails that gave single locked 4wd rigs trouble. A few years ago , I installed a rear locker and last month added a front locker.

So to the OP, [ThumbsUp] for Dual ARB's.
Decide what traction aiding device suits your budget & driving needs.

#51054 - 23/02/07 09:01 PM Re: Lockers and limited slip
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello, Good point about using brakes (by MMNIC). For the rear wheels LSD to work better use your parking brakes.

As to the person who is unaware of how a 4x4 system works? All you gotta do is research this and talk those who trail alot.

Most SUV's and trucks that are mark as 4x4 work that way...only two wheels turning in 4-wheel drive...one in front and opposite side rear. (yet they call them 4x4 operatons.

It took some years before I started understanding how it works...especially when you get struck several times......and have to be pull out.

HOW THINGS REALLY WORKS? ....Will you tell the truth..the whole truth..so help me GOD...ask the saleman? ...just make sure his hands are on your bible? ..........Aloha

#51055 - 26/02/07 09:41 AM Re: Lockers and limited slip
Anonymous
Unregistered

For the ones saying an LSD is bad up front for a daily driver for tire wear, how's that work? Unless you're running around in 4wd all the time that is...

#51056 - 26/02/07 10:36 AM Re: Lockers and limited slip
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Hello, Good point about using brakes (by MMNIC). For the rear wheels LSD to work better use your parking brakes.

As to the person who is unaware of how a 4x4 system works? All you gotta do is research this and talk those who trail alot.

Most SUV's and trucks that are mark as 4x4 work that way...only two wheels turning in 4-wheel drive...one in front and opposite side rear. (yet they call them 4x4 operatons.

It took some years before I started understanding how it works...especially when you get struck several times......and have to be pull out.

HOW THINGS REALLY WORKS? ....Will you tell the truth..the whole truth..so help me GOD...ask the saleman? ...just make sure his hands are on your bible? ..........Aloha
Kona, you are out of your rabid a$$ mind. If I'm in 4wd (hi or low, but low gives me more of a show being that there's more torque) on a gravel road (dead stop) and I mash the throttle (in either my Xterra with the locker off or my Silverado) anyone looking will see 4 "rooster tails" of gravel flying into the air...not two. How is this possible if only two wheels are getting power?
If I'm stuck in mud or a snowbank then sure I only have 2 wheel drive, but you say 4x4s only ever have two wheels turning at a time.
Enough [Argue] I'm done.

#51057 - 26/02/07 01:09 PM Re: Lockers and limited slip
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

You cant be serious that you beleive that only 2 wheels (1 front and one back) are providing power in 4wd. Im not trying to be mean, but seriously you need to understand how transfer cases and differentials work, and what open diff and locked diff means. You really have it ass about face and I hate for you to look like a fool if you are explaining how 4wd to someone that remotely knows anything about 4wd. Plain and simple, in open diff situations all 4 wheels pull until one tire on one axle loses traction. Lets say its the right rear. An open diff will let the Right rear spin faster essentially robbing the Left rear of all its power. With a locked diff, the axles will spin at the same rate regardless of how much traction either tire has. So you can be open in both axles, locked in both (better) Please please please understand that 4wd on most trucks with a low range transfer case means all 4 tires pull, all wheel drive on the other hand is a completely different animal. it seems that you are getting confused somewhere.

edited out the center lock portion as to not confuse the situation

#51058 - 26/02/07 01:23 PM Re: Lockers and limited slip
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow.. Y'all are really giving him a hard time for what is essentially the truth...

Any open differential is only 1 wheel drive. It's not noticeable until one tire slips, but it is still as true on dry pavement as it is on wet mud.

You're drivetrain is only as good as it's weakest point in time. So if you have 1 tire that slips, and the other one stands still, then unfortunately, you are only 1-wheel drive.

Same goes for 4x4.

It is also true, though, that every 4x4 on the market, ever, was actually only 2WD unless it was sold with a locker.

You wouldn't ever need to lock an axle if both sides received equal power all the time... That's the whole point, because ordinarily, the side with the LEAST traction is the side that receives the power. That's the problem with an open differential.

#51059 - 26/02/07 01:38 PM Re: Lockers and limited slip
Anonymous
Unregistered

Understandable, but to say that in a 4wd system there are one tire up front and one in rear pulling is false. In a perfect world where all tires have the same amount of traction (esp on solid rock for ex MOAB) all 4 tires will have the exact same torque applied to them and the ground. I understand what hes trying to say, but hes saying it wrong. If i were a newb and read his post for the first time I would be under the impression that in 4wd I will have only 2 tires driving (one front and the oposite in the rear)... Really... so which front one? and which one in the rear? So what happens if theres ice on the left side of the vehicle and both left tires spin? Misinformation is a bad deal in my book.

edited to add
Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:

Any open differential is only 1 wheel drive. It's not noticeable until one tire slips, but it is still as true on dry pavement as it is on wet mud.
This is what im talking about misinformation. You are incorrect. While i understand what you are driving at, but the above statement is wrong. 1wd is like a bicycle tire, all the torque goes to it. A 2wd vehicle is always going to be 2wd regardless of whats in the diff. The differential will be driving both tires until a special case is met (ie one tire spins). Granted the special case happens often, 1wd and 2wd are completely different, as is 2wd and 4. Im not trying to be an ass i swear, i know that open diffs are the suck when you spin. But he got some bad information somewhere and im just trying to set him right.

#51060 - 26/02/07 02:02 PM Re: Lockers and limited slip
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
This is what im talking about misinformation. You are incorrect. While i understand what you are driving at, but the above statement is wrong. 1wd is like a bicycle tire, all the torque goes to it. A 2wd vehicle is always going to be 2wd regardless of whats in the diff. The differential will be driving both tires until a special case is met (ie one tire spins). Granted the special case happens often, 1wd and 2wd are completely different, as is 2wd and 4. Im not trying to be an ass i swear, i know that open diffs are the suck when you spin. But he got some bad information somewhere and im just trying to set him right.
Unfortunately, that is not the case.

A 2WD vehicle leaves 1 tire track on pavement when it does a burnout. Both tires are "spinning", but only 1 is doing the driving; the other is just along for the ride. An open diff only drives 1 axle at a time.

Essentially, it's like this. As soon as the torque from the engine overcomes the traction of the axle, a wheel spins, and the entire engine torque from that point on goes through that spinning axle.

So at the instantaneous second you hit the gas, torque is sent to both axle shafts of the rear axle. As soon as 1 tire looses traction (slips), all the torque goes to that axle shaft, and you don't move. A 4WD open diff rig can shoot 4 roosters in the very special case when they mash the gas & instantaneously lose traction at all four tires at the same time.

But you are powered by as many axle shafts as can work independently, aka, are powered regardless of what the others are doing, aka, locked. 4WD or 2WD is a misnomer, as the axle shafts operation is directly related to what the other one is doing.

#51061 - 26/02/07 02:19 PM Re: Lockers and limited slip
Anonymous
Unregistered

You make a good arguement, and when put in context, i understand what you are saying. Keep in mind though that the examples you give are special case, when there is no loss of traction, it truly is 4wd... I would hate to have someone say, "you know 4wd is really 2 or 1 wheel drive when you have open diffs." and not be able to explain why. So yes, in the context that you are using, to be truly 4wd regardless of traction you would need a locker front/rear and a center locking diff to make sure the torque is applied to each axleshaft equally.

#51062 - 26/02/07 02:39 PM Re: Lockers and limited slip
Anonymous
Unregistered

And after I wrote it out, I can understand what you're saying, when that if the tires all have equal traction, then it is a true 4WD even w/ open diffs.

What I'm not sure of is when is it perfect enough that they all have exactly the same traction; that rarely happens offroad except for y'all western lucky bastages that get to drive on slickrock. Back east, you can forget about ever having equal traction at all four tires... it just plain will never happen.

#51063 - 26/02/07 03:02 PM Re: Lockers and limited slip
Anonymous
Unregistered

This shows a pretty good description of what happens:

Open Diffs

More on Diffs

Hope that helps clear it up. laugh

#51064 - 26/02/07 03:41 PM Re: Lockers and limited slip
TJ Offline

Actually...its all about tire speed.

The fastest tire gets the torque on an open diff.

If both tires are rotating at the same speed...both are getting power...when one slips, it gets some more torque, and the other one (The one with more traction of course :rolleyes: ....) gets less torque...and if it continues, the fast one gets it ALL.
laugh

In 4wd, with open diffs....in a straight line, on terrain with reasonably homogeneous traction...you can get 4 rooster tails as described...4 tires, all pulling for you.

Otherwise, its like a drunken Subaru, it

Tranfers the torque from the wheel that grips, to the wheel that slips.

laugh

#51065 - 26/02/07 04:43 PM Re: Lockers and limited slip
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, when you talk Subaru, you are now into a whole new beast entirely. AWD, which is different than 4WD. AWD has an added center differential or viscous coupling to also deal with the differnce in rotation front to rear. Which is why you can't drive your truck in 4WD on dry, had pavement.

#51066 - 26/02/07 04:47 PM Re: Lockers and limited slip
TJ Offline

Too True.

laugh

I just liked the juxtoposition of the Subaru Ads where they say

"Transfers grip from the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip" or something like that...to the open diff's opposite approach.

#51067 - 27/02/07 04:41 PM Re: Lockers and limited slip
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello, Each brand vehicles have there own transfer cases and systems. If you have all four tires turning..at the same time...you will get bindings.

In a turn the inside tire will turn less and the outside tire has to traval longer.

The best thing is to go to a 4wd drive shop and have them explain it to you. As they say..ASK THE EXPERTS ....Kona Hawaii has been wrong before and I would like to be corrected!

So Please go to professional that knows all about 4 wheel drives and how they work.

Than tell US...how wrong we were? Never put a spool Locker on a street driven 4x4! ...the utimate in tractions.

Oh one more place to ask...those companies that sell lockers and limited slip units...ask them how your 4x4 unit work...NOT all is the same way...

PS: I want to be corrected....!!! It is OK to bash me after that! HELP GUYS? ....Aloha

What it seems to be? ...may not seem to be? One more thing...ALL our rooster over here have tails too! Ever had shoyu chicken?

#51068 - 27/02/07 05:24 PM Re: Lockers and limited slip
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not really sure what you are getting at.

Quote:
Hello, Each brand vehicles have there own transfer cases and systems. [/QUOTE

Yes, but four wheel drive, systematically is different than all wheel drive.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kona Hawaii:
If you have all four tires turning..at the same time...you will get bindings.
True, but that's why the differntial was invented. Not all four wheels are turning at the same speed. A differential does not work as both or one or the other, it allows for speed differences. It only seems that way when one wheel is on ice or in the air.

Did you check out the links on my above post? They really do demonstrate the system well.

#51069 - 28/02/07 08:21 AM Re: Lockers and limited slip
TJ Offline

Kona - go to the links Dagger posted above...they are giving you the info you want.

BTW - its scary...but, the average 4wd shop guy sometimes has no freekin clue how things work...I've seen too many examples...

Same with tire shops....hoo boy, some scary info there too.

Of course, there are GOOD people at SOME shops, etc...so those of us who ARE, or who have FOUND, these good shop/people...God Bless!

laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal