2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#51236 - 03/02/08 01:30 PM speed sensor replacement
Anonymous
Unregistered

HI my 01 Xterra recenetly has had some issues. First my speedometer went out and so I did some research and found out it's my Speed Sensor. THen today I noticed my transmission started bucking. did some more research and found out this is related to the speed sensor problem. I ordered the part from the dealer and I'm wanting to see if this is something I can do on my own rather than take it to a mechanic and get chraged outrageous labor. Anyone haver a step by step guide to do this?

#51237 - 03/02/08 01:55 PM Re: speed sensor replacement
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
It's a piece of cake. The sensor is on the side of the transfer case, the rearmost of the 3 on it. One bolt holds it in place.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#51238 - 03/02/08 03:40 PM Re: speed sensor replacement
Anonymous
Unregistered

ok so thanks for the support and In my haynes manual I have a picture of where the sensor is. Unfortunately WHen im out looking under the hood of my car I cant find it. Is it under the car or accessable from under the hood...THe pictures are a bit confusing sence it is really only a drawing. Can someone please tell me the easiest way to get to this part? Thanks for all your help ppl.

#51239 - 04/02/08 09:20 AM Re: speed sensor replacement
Anonymous
Unregistered

The sensor is located on the Xfer case as Brent indicated. The Xfercase is on the back of the transmission. You will have to crawl underneath the vehicle to see it.

#51240 - 04/02/08 09:39 AM Re: speed sensor replacement
Anonymous
Unregistered

is this it?

#51241 - 04/02/08 12:14 PM Re: speed sensor replacement
OffroadX Offline

Not sure, but I don't think so. I believe it's on the passenger side of the transfer case, towards the rear end of it.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#51242 - 04/02/08 02:22 PM Re: speed sensor replacement
Anonymous
Unregistered

that is the rear of the transfer case, at least I think. I followed the drive shaft up until I got to the case, that plug was the only one with a bolt on it. It's kind of an awkward fit to maneuver around but I gues without the help of a hydraulic lift and just a jack it'll have to do. WHen I get the part from the dealer I can compare it to the one that I think is the VSS.
If anyone has anymore input or pics please feel free to ease my mind.

#51243 - 04/02/08 05:13 PM Re: speed sensor replacement
Anonymous
Unregistered

maybe this would be a better picture...

#51244 - 05/02/08 08:52 AM Re: speed sensor replacement
OffroadX Offline

I'm going to go with yes, that's it. Easy enough to be sure though, remove the bolt and pull it out. If it has a gear on the end, you've found it. The rest are swtiches.

#51245 - 06/02/08 02:10 PM Re: speed sensor replacement
Anonymous
Unregistered

ok now that I have the part from the dealer and know where the sensor is...I';ve run into a new problem. Somehow I cant seem to maneuver to get a grip on the thing. after spending an hour and a half under my X I broke down and took it to a shop so they could put it on a lift and they couldnt even get to it. They said that they didnt want to be liable if something happened to the X-fer case but they tried. Not sure if it's bc of the cold weather that's making this so hard to get out or if it's something else. IF anyone has any suggs I would appreciate it.

#51246 - 08/02/08 09:30 AM Re: speed sensor replacement
Anonymous
Unregistered

Took the X to my mechanic today....waited there til about noon. THey got it a bit out and then pushed it back in somehow. So now it's totally undriveable bc it's oozing tranny fluid. Wordst case scvenario is that they are going to have to drop the transfer case and split it to get this sensor out. I had to leave it with them over the weekend and am not sure how much this will cost me. [Uh Oh !] mad confused

#51247 - 11/02/08 12:52 PM Re: speed sensor replacement
Anonymous
Unregistered

Got my Xterra back today. Total cost $350 without paying for the part so total actual cost $430...pretty disappointing especially after reading so much about how easy this part is to replace (just unbolt and pull and replace) Apparently they had to drop the Transfer case and then pull the vss out since there wasnt enough room with the tcase where it was.

#51248 - 12/02/08 10:50 PM Re: speed sensor replacement
OffroadX Offline

Damn, sucks that such a simple job is so much fuss.

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal