2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#514099 - 16/03/06 09:01 AM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Black:

- I was finiding it difficult to push the temperature sensor plug through the firewall gasket, so I ended up finding a rod of approximately the same diameter (in my case, a screwdriver extender), pushing it nearly all of the way through the hole I put in the gasket, then pushing the rod the rest of the way out with the plug for the temperature sensor. This allowed me to get the sensor plug/wire through the hole without damaging it, while keeping the hole itself as small as possible. I also added some black general purpose caulking around the hole to seal it up further.

DB.
you pushed the plug through the firewall? why not mount the temp sensor first then run the small wires through and keep the hole even smaller? Then you connect the wires into the back of the mirror connector.

#514100 - 16/03/06 10:15 AM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by beetlebailey:
you pushed the plug through the firewall? why not mount the temp sensor first then run the small wires through and keep the hole even smaller? Then you connect the wires into the back of the mirror connector.
I think described this a bit awkwardly, so let me take another shot.

I mounted the temperature sensor below the headlights, per your instructions, and ran the wiring back along the right side of the engine bay (zip tying it to the existing wiring) to the drivers side firewall gasket. To get a hole in the gasket, I pushed a pocket knife through it twice, making an "X" approximately 3/8" wide for each cut. I then pushed the disconnect plug (the end that connects to the green wires from the wiring harness), and the plastic cable shroud through the firewall gasket, using a metal rod in the fashion I described previously. The cable shroud snugged up against the hole nicely, and with the extra bit of caulk, it's pretty much completely sealed.

I didn't cut the shroud off in the engine bay, since I didn't want the wires inside to be a stress point for vibration, and would have had to make the cut for the hole the same size anyway to get the plug through. In thinking about it a bit further though, I should open up the kick panel again and cut off the extra length of cable shroud inside of the cabin, and seal up the cut end of the shroud. (it was getting late when I finished up, so I simply coiled up the wiring with the shroud on it)

DB.

#514101 - 19/03/06 02:28 PM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Installed mine yesterday. No problems at all. Much easier when you already have the autodim compass mirror. The temp display is so cool and the homelink is so convenient.

I highly recommend this mod. Much more so when you do it yourself. Much more gratifying.

#514102 - 29/03/06 07:18 AM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

My mirror stopped working last week. frown Randomly enough, it died right after going to the local car wash, which made me think that something had shorted out, probably due to someone spraying windex directly into one of the light sensor holes. mad

Having thought I had isolated the problem to the mirror being dead, I went ahead and ordered a replacement unit.

Taking a second look at the wiring with the multi-meter a few days later, it turned out that my ground connection was flaky. There was enough factory paint in and around the bolt hole to make the ground connection unreliable, unless the terminal connector was positioned just right. Knowing that if this didn't survive a few days on paved roads, it would never survive long term use, especially on gravel roads, I needed to find a permanent fix other then repositioning the connector and tightening the bolt

To fix this, I scraped off some paint immediately surrounding the bolt hole, and added a toothed lock washer between the terminal and the frame, before torquing down the bolt. This seems to be the permanent fix I needed, as it survived 3 days in Death Valley, with a full day on the rough gravel roads in the park.

In hindsight, the original terminal connector I removed from the ground wire had a toothed interior ring. Since the replacment connector I added had a smooth hole, I should have known to add a toothed washer in the first place.

DB.

PS: If anyone's looking for a new GENK50 mirror, look for my posting in the for sale forum. (selling the unneeded replacement I bought)

#514103 - 29/03/06 08:19 AM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dave, did you already have the autodimming mirror? I did and I used the ground wire that was left when I pulled the old mirror. If you didn't have the autodimming mirror, then what I just said is moot.

#514104 - 29/03/06 12:40 PM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by max6spd:
Dave, did you already have the autodimming mirror? I did and I used the ground wire that was left when I pulled the old mirror. If you didn't have the autodimming mirror, then what I just said is moot.
No, my xterra did not come with the factory autodimming mirror. The grounding point that beetlebaily pointed out works great ... once you scrape off some paint and use a toothed washer. wink

DB.

#514105 - 05/05/06 08:29 PM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm pretty new to car wiring.

This write up is very good, but I am a little fuzzy on where/how I am supposed to attached the red +12V supply wire (I have a 2005 X).

Can someone give me some advice?

#514106 - 08/05/06 10:00 AM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey all - thanks for all the info on mirrors and installation. I will be purchasing a gentex 21 (autodim, compass, and temp) soon and will probably not be installing it myself. I have an 05 X w/o auto dim mirror, so it will be tougher. I am very novice when it comes to wiring. Does anyone have any recommendations as to where I could possibly get this mirror installed? I was thinking a stereo place, or maybe cartoys...but I wasn't sure. The truth is, any of those places would probably do a better job than I would. If anyone lives in the northwest, I'd be happy to pay for installation. Any advice would be appreciated...Sorry for being such a n00b!

#514107 - 09/05/06 05:37 AM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by doubleplay:
Hey all - thanks for all the info on mirrors and installation. I will be purchasing a gentex 21 (autodim, compass, and temp) soon and will probably not be installing it myself. I have an 05 X w/o auto dim mirror, so it will be tougher. I am very novice when it comes to wiring. Does anyone have any recommendations as to where I could possibly get this mirror installed? I was thinking a stereo place, or maybe cartoys...but I wasn't sure. The truth is, any of those places would probably do a better job than I would. If anyone lives in the northwest, I'd be happy to pay for installation. Any advice would be appreciated...Sorry for being such a n00b!
It'd help to know where you live.

#514108 - 09/05/06 05:39 AM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by maytawn:
I'm pretty new to car wiring.

This write up is very good, but I am a little fuzzy on where/how I am supposed to attached the red +12V supply wire (I have a 2005 X).

Can someone give me some advice?
It's on the lower driver's side kick panel. You have to peel off a section of the weatherstripping. In the front is a plastic nut that you have to remove and remove the kick plate. The kick panel should come out easily then.

The 12v wire is in there as outlined in beetlebailey's writeup.

#514109 - 09/05/06 01:53 PM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

OK... I just completed my first ever car mod. Thanks for the holding my hand through it BeetleBailey!

For the most part everything went very smooth. The problem I encountered (becuase I'm a total novice) was not knowing how to attach the 12V wire to the main wire harness. My kit did not come with a T-splice so after a little Googleing I found a site that described how to solder a splice. That's what I ended up doing and it worked great.

Funny story... I just got the car a few weeks a go so I'm still learning how things work. I got everything hooked up and working in about 3 hours (it took me awhile becuase I'm a total novice). I was happy and I went driving around and things were great. The next morning I drove my car down the street and a load beep went off and a warning light came on. I was totally freaked out. The first thing that popped in my head was "what did I do!?" I thought for sure I screwed up my car somehow during the install. I checked the manual for the explanation of the light... and in my haste I mistook the tire-pressure light for the brake warning lamp (yeah... I know... dumb move). Anyway... I spent the rest of the afternoon trying to figure out how my wiring job had shorted out the brake system...
BeetleBailey was very gracious in helping me troubleshoot. Then, just when I had lost all hope and resolved to take the car to the stealership... I discovered that it wasn't the brake light that was on... it was the low tire pressure light... and sure enough the rear diver side tire was low on air.

So moral of the story: RTFM (more carefully).

#514110 - 11/05/06 06:05 PM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

does an installation of an aftermarket mirror void any warranties? also, will Nissan do a good job of installing a gentex? they said they would do it if they had directions - I may print off beetles write-up and take it to them. thx

#514111 - 11/05/06 07:48 PM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I doubt the dealership would even notice the mirror.

#514112 - 12/05/06 03:27 PM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

can someone show me what kind of grease to use for the temp sensor and exactly where to grease? i dont fully understand...

#514113 - 12/05/06 03:41 PM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

the dealership complimented me on my clean install. they didnt even notice till some was confused why the others didnt have garage door opening buttons haha. That grease is to protect the sensor in its shell. there is a rubber squash gasket that slides over the sensor and then the cover is put on flush against that gasket as it snaps in place. you could use dielectric grease or regular automotive grease you will find at any auto parts store.

#514114 - 12/05/06 03:43 PM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

oh and you want to put the grease on both sealing surfaces of the squash gasket. this will effectively seal out the environment from getting in and ruining the sensor

#514115 - 12/05/06 04:22 PM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

mine came with the rounded plastic shell already on, so I should take the plastic shell off and put grease on the gasket then put the plastic over it again?

#514116 - 12/05/06 08:06 PM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

roger that

#514117 - 13/05/06 09:07 PM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by beetlebailey:
why thank you. Im in the process of figuring out a way to have heated,signal mirrors like the kind most big SUVs have. I have contacted Muth, a major manufacturer but they dont have enough demand for current gen Xs or Frontys. So im trying to figure out if i can mod an existing kit or convince one of these companies to get on the ball.
One of best write ups I have seen here! Nice trick over-riding the picture post limit! LOL I tried that but if said Can't post so soon. So I trashed it all. Anyways.

To do heated Mirrors, all you need is a switch, relay and any heater element. It's just a stretch of heat element stuck to a section of foil. You kinda have to know what is there now as far as room and match it up with any other replacement heat element. You just can't cut the element wire or it's toast. And, it must touch mirror in all places or it will burn out. Stick it on, run the wires to a relay and on to a switch, you are done! Sounds easy huh?
MC

#514118 - 14/05/06 04:52 AM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Didn't I read somewhere that Canadian models have heated mirrors? I think that we were waiting from our Canadian brothers to check on pricing.

#514119 - 17/05/06 07:48 PM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow! I am very impressed! This is just the information that I was looking for. I wanted to upgrade to the auto-dimming mirror but only thought it would be worth it if the temperature would be displayed as well as compass. You have shown me it can be done! Way to go. Nice clear instructions.

#514120 - 26/08/06 07:10 PM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here it is! The mirror install was easier than I thought it would be. It went without any complications thanks to your write up.

#514121 - 26/08/06 07:19 PM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

glad it helped.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal