Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#519710 - 08/12/05 08:15 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Alpine Spirit:
Hey dude you really need to get out more!! That one above is Hells Gate in Moab (he has taken his into many hardcore trails). It all comes down to what are you willing to do. If you are not willing to go hardcore than you are "Escalade pimp mobile" per your quote. If you are willing to try then you will be astounded where you can go in stock form.

I have seen 05s go where many "hardcore" people I know will not go. It is all up to you and your driving ability [Smoking] .
Ehh, I know where you're coming from dude, but, it's not ALL up to you and your driving ability. Let's face it, Calmini isn't going to charge 3 grand for a lift all for the guys that just don't have the maneuvering skills. Yes, the stock X is sufficient for many spots, but you guys are getting way too far off topic. If I wanted to go with "bling" I would've put some big wheels on it and lower profile tires. I did go up in tire size to what I feel is reasonable for the stock height. If there was a lift available, I would've bought bigger tires. I don't think my choice in wheels is affecting my ability on the trail. Hell, if I wanted something to do some SERIOUS off-roading, I certainly wouldn't have bought an '05 X, a vehicle with virtually no aftermarket support.

#519711 - 08/12/05 10:57 PM Re: lift options
fastdrmr Offline

Loc: SLC, UT
Quote:
Originally posted by bkohler81:
[QUOTE]I certainly wouldn't have bought an '05 X, a vehicle with virtually no aftermarket support.
Give it some time, the X has only been out for 10 months. If that was a big deal to you maybe a Jeep, oops Heep, would have been the ticket.

The X will go places people are scared to take it!

#519712 - 09/12/05 09:07 AM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Galusha:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
quote:
Originally posted by RiNkY:
I'm guessing you aren't an offroader. Bling Bling wheels on an X just makes me wanna puke.
An offroader? Bro, I live in Northern VA - doesn't really matter what finish or material your wheels are just to hit the trails - it's all mud and dirt,not much rock. You're right though I don't do too much with my X - I have a couple quads that I usually use to 'wheel. But if you READ, I'm not too much on chrome either, and if you LOOK, those are All Terrain tires. To be honest, the stock wheels on the Xterra (S, at least) make me wanna puke. I had a Tahoe for several years with a 9 inches of lift and 37s with 20 inch wheels, and that did just fine off road here in VA. Read before you post bro.[/b]
Dude just wondering if you'd be interseted or not but check out www.vaxc.org and come out and join us. We have a winter run at GWNF in Feb.[/b]
Dan, I'm already over there - same username
My bad dude.
frown

#519713 - 09/12/05 09:22 AM Re: lift options
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
A SL alone won't change the max tire size off road, as it will still rub under compression...you also need a BL...bumpstop extensions would work, but rob uptravel.

Daystar HAS lift kits for '05+'s, a front only, and a front + rear kit.

You can order them from Quadratec for example.

laugh

Part#'s:

front only PN# KN09106bk,

and

a complete front and rear PN# KN09105bk.

laugh

Enjoy!

[Wave]

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#519714 - 09/12/05 09:29 AM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

TJ, a spacer lift doesnt add wheel travel, so wouldnt it allow 33s to compress without rubbing?

#519715 - 09/12/05 09:37 AM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

As for a lift I think it all depends on design, if designed right you still can clear the tires and have your travel. But since no one has a production 05 kit we can look at and evaluate we will have to wait.

#519716 - 09/12/05 09:37 AM Re: lift options
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
laugh

Probably...depending upon if the spring compression was the limiting uptravel factor.

If the compression of the spring was the limiting factor, then a longer coil would have the same limitation, and the uptravel in reality would be possibly even more limited by a larger coil, etc.

A BL would be the only way to allow the larger tire the room to stuff...if it hits some other limit on the way up, then that thing becomes the limiting factor.

Essentially, if the compressed coil becomes a bumpstop, you already lost the uptravel the same as if you had installed a urothane stop, etc.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#519717 - 09/12/05 09:51 AM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
It is all up to you and your driving ability [Smoking] .
and the size of your BALLS!! laugh

#519718 - 09/12/05 10:18 AM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by kokopop:
Quote:
[b] It is all up to you and your driving ability [Smoking] .
and the size of your BALLS!! laugh [/b]
and your disregard for sheet metal.

It irks me that toyotas have lifts 4 months after they unveiled the new trucks and 4 runners though. I would only be the kind of guy who wants 2 inches to fit the next bigger tire size.. not hard core offroading- just a little upgrade in capability. stuff will come out in time.

#519719 - 09/12/05 11:44 AM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

I guess the question is, did the new 4Runner lift have to me completly redesigned or did they just adapt what was already designed? R&D and fabrication takes time and you only start your R&D and fabrication once you have one of the new models in your posession.

#519720 - 09/12/05 12:39 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

The 4runner doesn't come with a rear locking diff or a 6 speed.

#519721 - 14/12/05 02:52 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

how much did those things cost (the rims and tires a couple pages back?)

#519722 - 14/12/05 04:06 PM Re: lift options
fastdrmr Offline

funny part is he hasn't spent much time around here... its the not front that is limiting (lifted or not), its the rear drivers side that will give him fits... he'll figure that out. sorry if i am hijacking the topic back to his original pix

#519723 - 14/12/05 04:27 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by fastdrmr:
funny part is he hasn't spent much time around here... its the not front that is limiting (lifted or not), its the rear drivers side that will give him fits... he'll figure that out. sorry if i am hijacking the topic back to his original pix
Nah I'm cool I know about the fitment issues with the rear. I didn't go back and read this whole thread over again, but did you chime in with that information earlier when the questions were at hand? Just curious. And I'm straight with my wheel and tire selection, no problems so far, and once the lift is on we're back to test fitting more tire sizes. Thanks for letting them know about me and mine though dude.
I don't get how so many people know so much about the '05 and the path of modding, when so few have actually traveled down that road. I mean, I understand somebody already has 32.8s, a Daystar lift, an experimental performance part of somekind,etc. But these few people that have done these things to there Xterra are not providing the definitive answer to all of our questions and concerns. I would like to see more people just lay down the money, buy something and try it out. I mean I hear alot of talk about "I'm waiting for this lift or that lift, these are better because I said so" Well no shit they're better, their gonna cost 5 grand. Dude, all I'm saying is, 300 bucks, a couple hours drinkin with the buddies, and test fitting some tires and possibly hacking away at some sheetmetal is not such a bad thing. And it certainly doesn't eliminate the option of going bigger or better or whatever in the future. But all these aftermarket providers are sketchy enough in the details with their products that it's just time to do something. I mean a year from now when the Calmini lift finally drops, fine, I'll order it up, but until then, somebody do SOMETHING, and start modding this shit. enough with the waiting. Man up.

#519724 - 14/12/05 04:38 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

sorry for the rant - it's been a long day

#519725 - 14/12/05 06:21 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

thank you for finally saying it!

#519726 - 14/12/05 09:09 PM Re: lift options
fastdrmr Offline

Put it this way, I am testing my X and the stuffage problem in the rear is real. I can take some pix of my wheel well for you. Will the lift fix the problem, doubt it since the articulation will continue to stuff the tire back to the same spot.

I was checking out your pix about what you were doing again, hence the post... plus spent the weekend in Moab and found that the front end skirt doesn't limit us long term... its the rear.

BTW - yes, patiently waiting for a lift and willing to test once its available.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal