2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#520990 - 16/08/07 10:41 AM Re: The Arbitration
Anonymous
Unregistered

It might not cover supid, but it should cover something that is broke, and broke, not because of any other reason then either poor engineering or crappy manufacturing.

I think it might be a combination of both. Xterra Racer said that the side gear on the M226 w/ locker is very thin. It had to be shaved down to fit the locker in. He said that is what he has seen fail.

If that is the case, then that is an engineering flaw.

As for the Titan, as I said, people are still blowing up diffs and the dealer is still replacing them. So have they fixed a problem? Doesn't look like it. Looks more like they are just willing to replace the diffs with the same crappy item.

#520991 - 16/08/07 10:51 AM Re: The Arbitration
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:
Quote:
Originally posted by Offroad:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
quote:
So do you think that the diffs being the fuse on 05+ truck is not a design flaw...?
Yep, pretty much...

So how, from an Engineer's point of view...
So you're an engineer and for you it's better to have the diff as your weakest point rather than an axle shaft, CV axle or hub which are easier and cheaper to fix?

Tell me who you work for, so I don't buy products from them...[/b]
yes, I am an engineer. What I'm saying is, and you evidently missed it so I'll say it again, is it's NOT an engineering problem. It's a casting problem. The design engineer didn't physically make spider gears that are weak...

Don't confuse engineering with manufacturing. It's two different processes, and a screwup at either can have the same effect. However, since ALL of the spider gears aren't exploding, and the D44 variant has been used in Titans for quite some time, I'd say that is MUST be a batch of poor quality spider gears that made it into the diffs.

That's NOT an engineering problem; that's a manufacturing problem. Blame the jackass quality control person at the factory that let a bad batch of metal go through; don't blame the engineers that are designing things several hundred miles away...[/b]

Well, I think you're not aware of all the problems with 05+ diffs:

-Front diffs are blowing w/o doing anything wild. Engineering or manufacturing? Who cares, even cover under warranty won't make it up for the hard time you had.

-Some rear diffs came with 2 instead of 4 spider gears. Engineering?

-D44s with e-lockers are blowing because Nissan machined down one of the sides gears to make room for the locker. Engineering?

Anyhow, engineering or manufacturing, Nissan should stand up for their products and issue bulletins or recalls to fix the problem and not blame it on "driver abuse".

#520992 - 16/08/07 11:12 AM Re: The Arbitration
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Muzikman:
[b]Umm, ok, then what the hell are you doing here? That makes no sense.
You won't find me on here bitching about something I broke offroading, and try to pawn it off as a Nissan problem, either...

My truck has some faults; they all do. But I've taken care of most of 'em, and will fix the others as they come along. I sure as hell won't do something that causes breakage, then get pissy because Nissan won't pay for it. Last time I checked, my warranty doesn't cover stupid. Does yours?[/b]
That is such a dumbass statement to make. Nissan wouldn't have made an "Off-Road" edition of the X with a standard locker if they didn't think that there drivers were going to stay "on-road" I've seen video proof of a rear diff popping on the simplest hill with the slightest grade, only a few roots, not too much skinny peddle, and POP!. And if it's a manufacturing problem, Nissan is still responsible to pay for their mistakes, then they can go after their suppliers later. If you're an engineer, you'd know how the manufacturing chain works.

#520993 - 16/08/07 11:28 AM Re: The Arbitration
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
That is such a dumbass statement to make. Nissan wouldn't have made an "Off-Road" edition of the X with a standard locker if they didn't think that there drivers were going to stay "on-road"
They wouldn't? Are you sure? I'm fairly certain that EVERY major manufacturer in the country that makes a truck, makes an "offroad" version. I'm also fairly certain (through experience) that not 1 of them is really "offroad ready" for anything other than a dirt road... The only one that even comes close is the Rubicon.

If y'all think that "offroad" sticker on the side, or the fact you finally have a locking differential, means you can go trailblazing at Moab, you're on crack!

For the '05+ Xterra and Frontier, Nissan added a much more powerful engine, taller gear ratios, and WEAKER differentials. What's that mean? That means they were DESIGNING for ON-PAVEMENT use. Aka, SOCCER MOMS. Don't like that? Buy something else. The next gen trucks from Nissan obviously aren't DESIGNED to do whatever it is you do with your rig.

Y'all are fooling yourselves if you think your cushy sport-ute is made for offroading. You want to offroad, then get a 1st gen. Xterra/Frontier, and replace all the steering components first thing. Or get another vehicle that's ACTUALLY made for it, and not just marketed/badged for it. Do your research next time, and buy something that's ACTUALLY made for what you want.

Sorry; I have no sympathy for someone's rig that broke because they were offroading.

Now, for the people that broke, and they HONESTLY have never offroaded at all, then yeah, those got a shibby deal. And those should be replaced under warranty. My guess is, though, there aren't nearly as many of these "failures" as what the online community would claim.

#520994 - 16/08/07 11:30 AM Re: The Arbitration
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Internet message boards are a place for people to bitch about products, not praise them.
This is true about Nissan boards, but I find that there's a lot less bitching and a whole lot more praise going on over on the Toyota boards.

The internet simply gets the word out faster about any product, good or bad.

[Note: it's not my intention to start a Toyota-Nissan flame war, so let me say in advance that I'm wrong and that yes, of course, your Xterra is the very best-est thing since sliced bread]

#520995 - 16/08/07 12:12 PM Re: The Arbitration
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

For the '05+ Xterra and Frontier, Nissan added a much more powerful engine, taller gear ratios, and WEAKER differentials. What's that mean? That means they were DESIGNING for ON-PAVEMENT use. Aka, SOCCER MOMS. Don't like that? Buy something else. The next gen trucks from Nissan obviously aren't DESIGNED to do whatever it is you do with your rig.
So if gear ratios is an indicative of off-road intend, a 1st gen MT has a crawl ratio of 33.52:1 vs. 42.33:1 in a 2nd gen OR MT. What does that tell you?

Last time I heard, more torque was better for wheeling, but I guess your engineer point of view sees it different...

2nd gens have a much more stiffer frame than 1st. gens. I guess, from your point of view, this doesn't do any good off-road, maybe it is for storing more grocery bags W/O twisting the frame, but again, that's your engineer point of view...

#520996 - 16/08/07 12:29 PM Re: The Arbitration
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Y'all are fooling yourselves if you think your cushy sport-ute is made for offroading. You want to offroad, then get a 1st gen.
There's something you're missing here:

A 05+ OR X with it's rear locker, ABLS and 32" tires performs much better off-road (and on pavement) than a stock 1st gen that came with no traction aid and 29s.

The only problem reported with the 2nd gen is with the crappy diffs. Yes, it comes with an electric actuator instead of a stick, but I haven’t heard any failures on this area.

So if you do your homework, if it weren't for the weak diffs (that many of us were not aware of when we bought our X and a rear D44 didn't sound like a bad idea), 2nd gens are much better OR vehicles than first gens.

#520997 - 16/08/07 02:13 PM Re: The Arbitration
hattrik21 Offline

Loc: Lewisville, Texas
OK I normally don't get into pissing contests but what the hell. Certain people say Nissan created the 2nd gen for only going to the mall so by going by this logic the 2005+ Xterra is nothing more than a mall crawler with fancy gizmos you shouldn't use but they still sound "Neat" to have.

If it’s only for going to the mall why include a locker that can only be used in 4lo? You wouldn't need that going to get groceries would ya? Nope. It's used in extreme cases where you need maximum traction..ie OFF-ROAD.

What about hill descent control? I'm gonna say it’s used off-road as well but that’s just me. I don't see someone using it to coast down a hill on the high-way but there are always a few morons in a dozen of eggs.

Nissan even markets the vehicle as something you can drive off the high-way. Don't believe me? Check out Nissans website and go to the Xterra. The first thing the flash intro states is and I quote "Tackle a category V trail with confidence". That’s tells me and I would think a few others, they think out of the box the Xterra is a capable OFF-ROAD vehicle. No its not Rubicon but it’s a different class of vehicle.

Go to the compare Xterra models. The Off-Road model says and I quote "Rock crawlers, just strap in and go...". Notice it doesn't say mall crawlers?

On an end note I do know people abuse their vehicles and do break them but I think the overall consensus here is that the diff is one the last things you should ever break, especially driving down the road. If damage was done before hand why did it take so long to finally cause the failure? If there is a problem with faulty parts and this can be proven, I’m sure a lot of Titan, Xterra and Frontier guys will feel better about trying to enjoy their vehicle more than the average soccer mom.
www.TheNewX.org
It is in Men that we must place our hope.

#520998 - 16/08/07 02:24 PM Re: The Arbitration
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow, I forgot how much of a pissing contest this forum is. Not only is it Nissan v. Toyota, but second gen v. first gen. Really stupid.

The guy did some off-roading in his X. Not sure if his mods void his warranty or not. I'd think not.

I would think that all the failures in the Off-Road diffs is a design or manufacturing flaw. Possibly not Nissan's fault, maybe Dana's completely. I had heard that the new Tacoma's and 4runners were having rear diff problems. Do they use Dana as well?

There obviously was a problem as people on here have indicated that they switched the spider gear for 06. I'm hoping that I'm immune to this problem since I have the SE and it sounds like most of the problems are with the Off-Road Axle with rear locker.

#520999 - 16/08/07 03:39 PM Re: The Arbitration
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, clarification time.
Nissan makes the Pathfinder (that's right the independent rear suspension SUV) in an Off Road package. Wanna take it off road? Enjoy.

Did any of these 2nd Gen Xterra's blow their diffs the very first time they went off road? Did they only ever run easy trails, with minimal grade and terrain features? I know Lloyd's didn't. The diffs exploding on easy trails may just have been the failure point for those particular trucks, I don't know, but the pissing match is getting interesting.

Carry on.

#521000 - 16/08/07 05:06 PM Re: The Arbitration
hattrik21 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ChefTyler:
Ok, clarification time.
Nissan makes the Pathfinder (that's right the independent rear suspension SUV) in an Off Road package. Wanna take it off road? Enjoy.
Yes I would. smile
www.TheNewX.org

#521001 - 16/08/07 06:32 PM Re: The Arbitration
Anonymous
Unregistered

Allow me to clarify again. Would you take it the places you take an X, up/down the same lines? If you would, you have issues.

#521002 - 17/08/07 11:56 AM Re: The Arbitration
hattrik21 Offline

Knowing me, I prob would. I think an offroad Pathy is a cabable vehicle but not on par as the X, minus the locker. I've seen Armada's do things I never thought it could do so I have the same faith in the Pathy.
www.TheNewX.org

#521003 - 20/08/07 05:44 AM Re: The Arbitration
Anonymous
Unregistered

heres an interesting thread that talks about nissan rear diffs

CLICK

#521004 - 20/08/07 07:33 AM Re: The Arbitration
Anonymous
Unregistered

Fixed your link.
Clicky

#521005 - 20/08/07 09:36 AM Re: The Arbitration
Anonymous