Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#524360 - 14/07/05 09:26 AM Gear Basket / Wind Foil Removal
zates Offline

Loc: Kenosha, Wisconsin
Has anyone ventured to remove their gear basket/wind foil assembly? I regularly removed this assembly on my '02, but the '05 assembly looks a bit more daunting. I'm sure it's removable. Just not certain that it will go back on as easily. [Uh Oh !]

#524361 - 14/07/05 09:32 AM Re: Gear Basket / Wind Foil Removal
hattrik21 Offline

Loc: Lewisville, Texas
I've taken the basket off of mine when washing it a few times and it goes back on pretty easy. Did you get a noticably MPG increase on doing this or do you just not like the look of the basket?
www.TheNewX.org
It is in Men that we must place our hope.

#524362 - 14/07/05 09:42 AM Re: Gear Basket / Wind Foil Removal
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by hattrik21:
I've taken the basket off of mine when washing it a few times and it goes back on pretty easy. Did you get a noticably MPG increase on doing this or do you just not like the look of the basket?
Pictures! smile

#524363 - 14/07/05 01:08 PM Re: Gear Basket / Wind Foil Removal
zates Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by hattrik21:
I didn't care for the basket/foil treatment on my '02, but like the look on the '05. I am attempting to mount a 16' canoe. It would be easiest to take off the gear basket and windfoil assembly because I could move the front crossbar farther forward and better balance the canoe.

#524364 - 14/07/05 01:43 PM Re: Gear Basket / Wind Foil Removal
defibvt Offline

Loc: AZ
I took it off for a succession of 3 tanks of gas and didn't get an improvement in gas mileage. I thought it looked like ass so I put it back on. To each his own, it is your truck.

#524365 - 15/07/05 06:55 AM Re: Gear Basket / Wind Foil Removal
zates Offline

How difficult was it to take off and put back on? Did you remove the entire assembly including the wind foil and side brackets, or just remove the gear basket? The '02 had 4 removal screws for the whole thing. The '05 appears to have about 25 screws. Just want to make certain that after the canoe trip the whole thing (basket and wind foil assembly) go back on without a hitch. [Huh?]

#524366 - 15/07/05 07:33 AM Re: Gear Basket / Wind Foil Removal
hattrik21 Offline

Loc: Lewisville, Texas
The basket comes off with four screws like the older models did. Its lighter than the past models so it was a little easier. I didn't mess with the wind foil at all though.
www.TheNewX.org
It is in Men that we must place our hope.

#524367 - 15/07/05 08:16 AM Re: Gear Basket / Wind Foil Removal
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah four screws ..but there the weird star shaped screw heads..so if you aint got one...you'll need one of those wutchamacallits

#524368 - 15/07/05 08:21 AM Re: Gear Basket / Wind Foil Removal
Anonymous
Unregistered

Torx screws, you should have the driver with your jack and stuff, although I would recommend getting a different one if you plan on removing it often.

#524369 - 17/07/05 08:10 AM Re: Gear Basket / Wind Foil Removal
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am getting 19-20 mpg average now. I thought I would take it off. My wife said it wouldn't look as good with the rack off. So there it stays.

While aerodynamics plays a big part in fuel mileage, has anyone really gotten noticeably better mileage with the rack and air foil off?

#524370 - 17/07/05 09:34 AM Re: Gear Basket / Wind Foil Removal
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think the reports of better gas milege came from owners of older X's. Not sure but it looks like nissan might have spent a little more quality time in the wind tunnel by the time the 05 was being designed.
So - i woundn't be suprised if the mileage increases reported by some 1st gen owners aren't seen in the 05.
Just my guess, anyway.... Not planning on trying it myself, i use the gear basket all the time.

#524371 - 17/07/05 02:42 PM Re: Gear Basket / Wind Foil Removal
defibvt Offline

Loc: AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by nuxterra4me:
I am getting 19-20 mpg average now. I thought I would take it off. My wife said it wouldn't look as good with the rack off. So there it stays.

While aerodynamics plays a big part in fuel mileage, has anyone really gotten noticeably better mileage with the rack and air foil off?
Read this.

defibvt
Member # 1566 posted July 14, 2005 02:43 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I took it off for a succession of 3 tanks of gas and didn't get an improvement in gas mileage. I thought it looked like ass so I put it back on. To each his own, it is your truck.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal