2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#524398 - 06/03/06 06:23 PM Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well Hello All, I was out at Paragon for Marches monthly run what a blast until I heard a very loud snap noise then came the wheelspin so I let off the gas and then try moving on again well I go about a foot then that same loud snap sound again and then that was it for 4 Wheel drive now it does not work at all. So I limp my way home so I can further investigate the problem well I look and I see the Inner CV joint boot looks twisted and the Shaft thats in the diff is loose and I can pull it out this can't be good. I'm sure it should be coverd under the warrenty I hope Everything is stock and I really wasen't drivin hard at all. So if I was really wheelin hard or put bigger tires on I'd geuss the axle would break as soon as I hit the trails. I am really concerned about this because with all the great ratings I am wondering if it was a defect in the shaft. Any opinions or suggestions please Help

#524399 - 06/03/06 06:35 PM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
the Inner CV joint boot looks twisted and the Shaft thats in the diff is loose and I can pull it out this can't be good.
Nope. No good.
Quote:
I'm sure it should be coverd under the warrenty
That'd be great if it is..
Quote:
I really wasen't drivin hard at all.
[Huh?]
Quote:
I am wondering if it was a defect in the shaft.
That is highly doubtful.
Quote:
Any opinions ?
You were driving faster and harder than you're letting on and you busted a CV assembly, it happens. I'm lead to believe you were doing something well over your level of ability, not so much your trucks.
[Smoking]

#524400 - 06/03/06 06:35 PM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

That sucks. I take it that you broke the front correct? They might not cover it under warranty though. Keep us updated.

#524401 - 06/03/06 06:45 PM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

I only broke the shaft just this one time and really I was just going up a hill in 4low and started to loose traction so I cut the wheel so I did not hit a tree and then one snap move again another snap. I really was not driving hard at all I swear I even finshed the hill in two wheel drive.

#524402 - 06/03/06 06:46 PM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

It is the Front

#524403 - 06/03/06 06:50 PM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

CVs tend to blow when turned in droop, or when they're spinning hard and suddenly gain traction eek . It happens smile Bad thing like Galusha noted, is it prolly isn't warrantied frown ..

#524404 - 06/03/06 06:58 PM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yep sorry but that is the cost ow going out wheelin. A sudden gain in traction will do that.

Type this - 4x4

now hold shift and type it again [Smoking]

#524405 - 06/03/06 07:05 PM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

$X$ Your not kidding and if this is not covered I will cry for a long time

#524406 - 06/03/06 07:08 PM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

[LOL]

#524407 - 06/03/06 08:11 PM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

So are the 05 X's front diffs and axles junk will they hold up to 33's

#524408 - 06/03/06 08:36 PM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't think anybody can say if the IFS axles are weaker or stronger on the new X's yet.

but IFS CV style front ends break sometimes on the above mentioned conditions...period. notice jeep still uses solid front axles. the universals can break, but generally these axles have less problems under stress. they can really take a beating if they aren't locked.

look at a hummer H1 for a low angle half shaft design that works. (it's got offset gear reduction to reduce the torque and angle on them...very trick).

#524409 - 06/03/06 09:08 PM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

If it is not under warranty, PM me, I can get you the parts you need for cheap laugh

#524410 - 07/03/06 03:02 AM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Gee wiz Pony you'll have all the old parts gone before you have the SAS and Spring over done!

#524411 - 07/03/06 10:06 AM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I almost snapped up an 05 CV on Ebay for $1 a few months ago knowing someone would need it before long...

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#524412 - 07/03/06 01:39 PM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by geo9974:
So are the 05 X's front diffs and axles junk will they hold up to 33's
They will hold up to the 33's with no problems. The only down side to the front is that the CV's are our weakest links. The reason is that on the first gens they have hubs which is really the weakest link for them but since we don't have any hubs the next weak link in our chain is the cv's. You really don't have anything to worry about as long as you aren't spinning the wheel to hard when the wheel is off of the ground and landing. That will cause a big enough shock load on it to snap it or when you are turning and all of a sudden get traction to that wheel which will then agian apply a big enough shock load on it to snap it.

#524413 - 07/03/06 02:12 PM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is good to know. OK Pony Boy looks like I'll be wanting to buy a CV off you when you upgrade, please.
Later

#524414 - 07/03/06 02:17 PM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Knight in Armor:
This is good to know. OK Pony Boy looks like I'll be wanting to buy a CV off you when you upgrade, please.
Later
Sure thing Doug

#524415 - 07/03/06 02:28 PM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
I dunno about the '05+, but on the 1st gen half shafts blow fairly regularly and aren't that big a deal to replace... nor are they that expensive. ~$100 at Auto Zone with a core (I think $180 without)

#524416 - 07/03/06 03:30 PM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello All, Still din't make to the Dealer yet Had to clean it up real pretty. While cleaning it up I climb underneth to inspect the CV better and it looks in great shape its tight the boot is screwed up looks like it spun. I drove the truck today to see if there are any noises or vibrations not a one drives like brand new but the 4 wheel drive don't work and I can actually pull the axle out of the diff with no effort at all I know most CV axles slide in and lock and need a pry bar or chisel to pop it out but this just slides out as far as the CV will let it and you can shake it side to side even with the axle all the way in the diff. So I am thinking either the axle broke in the rear or diff is busted.

#524417 - 08/03/06 12:47 PM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would stop driving.... jeeze!!!

#524418 - 08/03/06 04:04 PM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by mike100:
I don't think anybody can say if the IFS axles are weaker or stronger on the new X's yet.
Like hell you can't make that statement, yet.

The 1st gen Xterra used a R200 front differential, and axle shafts to fit. The 2nd gen uses a R180 high pinion front axle, and axle shafts to match. The R180 IS a significantly weaker axle, however, the high pinion version should make the gears, at least, be about equivalent.

But you're going to find it pretty obvious that the 2nd gen actual axle shafts are R180 axle shafts, and yes, they ARE weaker.

Not to mention, there's a buttload more torque coming from the 2nd gen's engine & t-case combo, over the 1st gen.

In other words, find a source of used axle shafts. You're going to need them if you wheel ANY IFS rig. Including the 2nd gen Xterra.

#524419 - 09/03/06 06:44 AM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does any body know if they make upgrades for the front axles or the whole diff like a SAS or something to toughen them up.

#524420 - 09/03/06 07:08 AM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by geo9974:
Does any body know if they make upgrades for the front axles or the whole diff like a SAS or something to toughen them up.
Not yet. If there ever will be, it'll be a few years.

The best bet, is to learn the limits of droop, skinny pedal, and turning, and once you've learned the limits, to not exceed them unless you've got a spare and around 30 minutes or so to replace the broken parts...

In a few years, I'm sure junkyard spares will be easy enough to find, and for a pretty cheap price. For the 1st gens, you can find replacements for around $20-$40, without too much effort. To me, when they're that cheap and easy to replace, it's a no brainer that it's an expendable part.

#524421 - 09/03/06 05:42 PM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:
The 1st gen Xterra used a R200 front differential, and axle shafts to fit. The 2nd gen uses a R180 high pinion front axle, and axle shafts to match. The R180 IS a significantly weaker axle, however, the high pinion version should make the gears, at least, be about equivalent.

But you're going to find it pretty obvious that the 2nd gen actual axle shafts are R180 axle shafts, and yes, they ARE weaker.

[/QB]
I realize the front diff is the smaller high pinion, but was the 180 mm diff ever used on any previous nissan truck up front?

also..How do you know the side gear size and axle shaft spline count/thickness be inferior to older xterras/frontiers?

I measured the axle shaft thickness for kicks: it was about 1.050 " thick. I have no idea on the stub thickness and spline count since I'm not going to take it apart. Maybe someone in a nissan parts dept can lay them out on a table and take pics.

I'd like to think the engineers didn't totally let us down on the new models IFS, but I want specifications. I think the axle hardness and yield strength will be hard to obtain , however.

just a side by side comparo between the older nissans and various toyota and domestic units would be interesting.

#524422 - 09/03/06 07:49 PM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

They let me down my X is in the shop now. I am waiting to hear the verdict. I think its in the diff or the axle broke in the diff.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal