Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#53091 - 06/10/06 12:34 PM Yakima Ski Rack Noise
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just put the Yakima Ski Rack on my 06 X. However no matter where I position the front rack it whistles badly when I am going over 45mph. Anyone else have this issue and a possible fix. Very annoying, although the RF system at volume 16 covers it up.

#53092 - 06/10/06 02:01 PM Re: Yakima Ski Rack Noise
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not sure if it makes a difference or not, but do you have it mounted on the yakima bars or with mighty mounts? On my last vehicle I had the bars on and they whistled like crazy. I put a fairing on and that helped, but with the Xterra all ready have an air dam, I think adding a fairing would look a ridiculous.

I think the only way to avoid that whistle is just leave the ski rack off until you want to use it. The added air resistance doesn't do your gas mileage any favors, but maybe that doesn't bother you.

#53093 - 07/10/06 07:10 AM Re: Yakima Ski Rack Noise
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm curious how you have it mounted too (onto the factory crossbars or did you put yakima crossbars on). I chose not to use the factory crossbars because the mightymounts don't let you rotate the accessories down when you're not using them. Probably not a big deal for the ski racks, but my kayak stackers stick up 2 feet.

perhaps on yakima crossbars, you could just rotate/fold your skirack down when you're not using it, maybe the noise will go away?

#53094 - 07/10/06 01:31 PM Re: Yakima Ski Rack Noise
lemsip Offline

Loc: Lakewood, CO
Ive had the same yakima rack for six years. It never whistled on my 01X or on my wife's subaru, but it whistles on the 06X.

It is attached to the stock bars using mightmounts.

#53095 - 08/10/06 12:19 AM Re: Yakima Ski Rack Noise
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah I am a moron. I reversed my mightmounts and the whistling has stopped.

#53096 - 09/10/06 09:01 AM Re: Yakima Ski Rack Noise
Anonymous
Unregistered

Robust, which way do you have them oriented now that they aren't whistling?

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal