Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 162 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#531191 - 29/07/06 06:44 AM Donuts with the X = rollover?
Anonymous
Unregistered

So it was raining the other night and I just had the urge to try some donuts with the X. I've thrown it in the mud, sand, wood trails, rocks yet I've never tried anything as simple as donuts. :rolleyes:

I was in a large parking and tried to give it enough gas to make the rear slip but VDC kept activating and ruining my fun.

Flip VDC off and I finally got some slippage but as the rear slipped, the X was in a seemingly dangerous side angle and didn't want to risk giving more gas. (I would have a hard time explaining to the cops and insurance why my X is on its side in an empty parking [Crybaby] )

Is my fear unfounded? Will I rollover the X doing donuts?

#531192 - 29/07/06 06:57 AM Re: Donuts with the X = rollover?
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
The Xterra is not a sports car..

People don't take sports cars offroading for the same reason you should not do stupid things like that in your Xterra. It was not built to handle that kind of thing.

So go ahead.. do it anyway. Darwin is waiting.

#531193 - 29/07/06 07:27 AM Re: Donuts with the X = rollover?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[LOL]

#531194 - 29/07/06 07:41 AM Re: Donuts with the X = rollover?
Big Daddy Chia Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Stupid Canadians.

#531195 - 29/07/06 08:00 AM Re: Donuts with the X = rollover?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Daddy Chia:
Stupid Canadians.
Because in almost every parking lot in Canada you will find SUV'v spinning round and round doing donuts... i cant wait to get off work to meet my friends and do some donuts! woooo! [Finger]

Ignorant american.

#531196 - 29/07/06 09:24 AM Re: Donuts with the X = rollover?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank god we now have the Internet to freely insult anyone's action or nationality without the fear of getting your ass kicked.

Now, if anyone has the guts to admit they've tried donuts with the X and can respond to my post with a useful experience, please feel free to share.

#531197 - 29/07/06 01:37 PM Re: Donuts with the X = rollover?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Done donuts in the snow, but not on wet asphault.

#531198 - 29/07/06 06:44 PM Re: Donuts with the X = rollover?
Big Daddy Chia Offline

I would never do donuts in a 4500lb top heavy SUV.

#531199 - 29/07/06 08:02 PM Re: Donuts with the X = rollover?
Anonymous
Unregistered

why don't you try it and let us know....

#531200 - 29/07/06 09:29 PM Re: Donuts with the X = rollover?
GrayHam Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Chronos:
Thank god we now have the Internet to freely insult anyone's action or nationality without the fear of getting your ass kicked.
No, Chia's right.

Some Canadians are stoopid.

#531201 - 30/07/06 05:32 AM Re: Donuts with the X = rollover?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Why in the hell are we even entertaining this stupid question?

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#531202 - 30/07/06 06:54 AM Re: Donuts with the X = rollover?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by GrayHam:
Quote:
Originally posted by Chronos:
[b]Thank god we now have the Internet to freely insult anyone's action or nationality without the fear of getting your ass kicked.
No, Chia's right.

Some Canadians are stoopid.[/b]
...and all yanks are smart :rolleyes: but not arrogant...

Donuts on asphalt is not smart though dude, why bother. We get enough snow up here, just wait a couple months and things will start to get icy again [Huh?]

#531203 - 30/07/06 07:22 AM Re: Donuts with the X = rollover?
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

#531204 - 30/07/06 07:58 AM Re: Donuts with the X = rollover?
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Technically, you should not rollover doing donuts...on a flat plane with no irregularities in traction coefficient or surface features.

The issue of concern is with surface imperfections, which will interupt the smooth transition of polar moment, and result in lateral acceleration in excess of the projected tire slippage required to execute a donut.

This condition will result in the tire(s) traction providing resistance to the lateral forces, and the truck's weight and center of gravity continuing in an outwards direction, albeit with the outer tire(s) remaining in the same arc.

The truck's body and frame with therefore follow a wider arc than the tire pathway.

This results in the truck's frame and body crossing through the plane of the tire pathway arc.

If the above crossing results in the truck's center of gravity crossing the chord of the arc, the trucks's body and frame will tend to continue in an arc outside of the tire path, with a secondary continuance downwards to the ground at the outside of the chord.

The above typically results in the side of the truck hitting the ground.

In a donut, the rear outer tire is typically the most critical interceptor of surface irregularities, and tends to upset the balance of the rear slippage angle, essentially tripping the truck such that it hits first on the outermost front fender area, rolling onto the roof and hood areas, and then, rotating due to the momentum involved.

This is sometimes referred to as doing a donut and flipping over.

Of course, the higher the center of gravity, and the less perfect the surface, the more likely this is to occur.

It is therefore possible to execute donuts in a parking lot w/o flipping over, albeit the above variables must be considered to avoid flipping.

So, I hope that helps!

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#531205 - 30/07/06 08:07 AM Re: Donuts with the X = rollover?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks TJ!
I've decided to wait until it snows to try again though. Safety took over fun in the game of risks.

#531206 - 30/07/06 08:51 AM Re: Donuts with the X = rollover?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
Why in the hell are we even entertaining this stupid question?
Did you search before posting?

#531207 - 30/07/06 10:00 AM Re: Donuts with the X = rollover?
Anonymous
Unregistered

You dont have to wait for snow, just find some dirt. I've done doughnuts plenty of times. Why, because uts fun. Don't let all the nay sayers get ya down. There just grumpy.

#531208 - 30/07/06 02:11 PM Re: Donuts with the X = rollover?
Big Daddy Chia Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DesertRouX:
You dont have to wait for snow, just find some dirt. I've done doughnuts plenty of times. Why, because uts fun. Don't let all the nay sayers get ya down. There just grumpy.
Grumpy. Whos Grumpy. The Naysayers are Mature there is a difference.

#531209 - 30/07/06 03:35 PM Re: Donuts with the X = rollover?
Anonymous
Unregistered

-There's a diff. between showng your PROUD experience and acting like children, you should know the diff.-- [Smoking] [Spit] [Spit] --JIMBO

#531210 - 30/07/06 07:41 PM Re: Donuts with the X = rollover?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've done donuts in the rain with my 4x2 many times with no problems. I think the fact that you have a 4x4 makes a huge difference. The 2006 rollover ratings are out, and the new xterra 4x4 is the most likely SUV to rollover (Someone corrrect me if I'm wrong) If I remember correctly, the xterra didnt tip in their test, but the rating comes from a number they calculate based on the center of gravity with respect to the height & width of the truck.

#531211 - 31/07/06 12:02 PM Re: Donuts with the X = rollover?
Anonymous
Unregistered

2006 Rollover Ratings

They did indead give the Xterra the worst score for an SUV...though it did not tip. I suspect that there is logic in the VDC system that can help prevent "some" tips/rollovers...and I imagine the score does not reflect this. I could be wrong though.
Either way, it's an SUV...don't drive like an asshole...buy a 350Z for that.

#531212 - 31/07/06 05:59 PM Re: Donuts with the X = rollover?
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia

Mmmm...donuts.

I did some in an icy (and deserted) parking lot once. Wouldn't try it on anything less slippery than that.

#531213 - 31/07/06 09:01 PM Re: Donuts with the X = rollover?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Stupid Canadians.
and what a brilliant response that is....

so based on your comment, is it fair for me to say that all americans are illiterate? i don't think so. it seems that it's just you.

yes, common sense would dictate that donuts are not the best thing to do on pavement, but at least he has the balls to ask the question.

the only dumb question is the one not asked.

#531214 - 01/08/06 06:46 AM Re: Donuts with the X = rollover?
Big Daddy Chia Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by JayZ:
Quote:
[b]Stupid Canadians.
and what a brilliant response that is....

so based on your comment, is it fair for me to say that all americans are illiterate? i don't think so. it seems that it's just you.

yes, common sense would dictate that donuts are not the best thing to do on pavement, but at least he has the balls to ask the question.

the only dumb question is the one not asked.[/b]
Would you rather I called him a Fuckin Noob. Just Like you.

#531215 - 01/08/06 07:09 AM Re: Donuts with the X = rollover?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've done donuts on pavement in my X and it was fun. I wasn't afraid of rolling. I've been married for 18 years so I'm not afraid to die. Anyway, I have always thought donuts were very popular in Canada so the narative about all the Canadians getting off work and going out for donuts doesn't seem at all unbelievable. It could eventually become Canada's national passtime, surpassing whining and snivling.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal