Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#531360 - 02/05/06 10:32 AM Is the off road edition so much better than the se?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey guys, I was looking at the X for a while now and finally found a great deal on an 2006 SE that would be dumb for me to turn down. I used to take my parent's Land Rover Discovery (Series 1) off-roading all those years ago. I'm curious if I would be able to take the X-SE with its 4WD, V6, and AT offroading at all? I could purchase the aftermarket rear differential locker I suppose but, what else is really a necessity for off-roading? And how much does it seem I would NEED to put into it in order to even start going off-road?

I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer. Thanks.

#531361 - 02/05/06 10:38 AM Re: Is the off road edition so much better than the se?
Anonymous
Unregistered

In my opinion if you are going to put on a locker anyway you might as well get the offroad unless you are saving big time cash? An SE would be fine to do offroading with however.

#531362 - 02/05/06 10:46 AM Re: Is the off road edition so much better than the se?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The SE will wheel with the best of them. Rear locker is very nice, but it's not the end of the wheeling world without it. Get the SE, toss on some Shrockwork sliders and some new tires and go have fun.

The one problem with the SE is that it's got 17" wheels which tires are more expensive for.

#531363 - 02/05/06 11:18 AM Re: Is the off road edition so much better than the se?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the help! I actually am saving a lot of money on the SE. They don't even have an offroad. With the money I'm saving though I was thinking I could put some back into the SE to make it comprable to the offroad. As long as taking the SE wheeling doesn't mean I'm bringing a knife to a gun fight I'm happy.

#531364 - 02/05/06 11:33 AM Re: Is the off road edition so much better than the se?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The OR only has a few things that the SE doesn't have.

*Stiffer Bilstein shocks - this only changes the handling slightly. You can get new 20% stiffer Bilstein for the rear for $120.

*Rear Locker - Currently there are no aftermarket lockers for the new X. But the ABLS does a decent job and the SE has that.

*Hill Decent (only with Auto) - I have only used this one and it wasn't because I had to, I just wanted to see what it was like. Nice feature, not needed.

*Hill Assent (only with Auto) - This is something that is kind of neat and you don't turn it on or off. If you are on a steep hill and apply the break and come to a complete stop the breaks will hold a couple of seconds after you left off the pedal so you do not drift. Again, neat, but not needed.

*Rugged Trail tires - Not the greatest tires, but they are a bit better off road than the Long Trail.

*16x7 (6 spoke wheels) - The SE has 17x7.5 (4 spoke wheels)

*More durable seat fabric - The fabric on the OR model is harder and rougher than that of the X, S or SE. It's also more durable.

Think those are all the differences. I think most you can live without or replace on the SE to be just as good or better than what comes with the OR.

#531365 - 02/05/06 11:39 AM Re: Is the off road edition so much better than the se?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have an OR.

The locker is handy only when going over the worst of what your truck can safely handle. For the other 99.9% of the time, a standard Xterra is more than sufficient.

#531366 - 02/05/06 11:43 AM Re: Is the off road edition so much better than the se?
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
I don't know how much the ABLS does for you - but in the gen 1 Xterras a rear air locker makes a WORLD of difference. I'd hold out for the OR.

#531367 - 02/05/06 11:58 AM Re: Is the off road edition so much better than the se?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Quote:
Originally posted by Muzikman:
*Hill Assent (only with Auto) - This is something that is kind of neat and you don't turn it on or off. If you are on a steep hill and apply the break and come to a complete stop the breaks will hold a couple of seconds after you left off the pedal so you do not drift. Again, neat, but not needed.
Neat? Maybe for amputees that don't have one foot for each pedal...

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#531368 - 02/05/06 12:31 PM Re: Is the off road edition so much better than the se?
Anonymous
Unregistered

So much support! I'm impressed. So from what I gather the only things I should really replace right now are the shocks, the tires/wheels, and maybe a few more durable aftermarket seat covers? Wow thanks for the help! Hopefully everything will pan out nicely. I can't wait to get out there.

#531369 - 02/05/06 12:47 PM Re: Is the off road edition so much better than the se?
RJ Offline

Loc: 100 Mile House, BC
Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
Quote:
Originally posted by Muzikman:
[b]*Hill Assent (only with Auto) - This is something that is kind of neat and you don't turn it on or off. If you are on a steep hill and apply the break and come to a complete stop the breaks will hold a couple of seconds after you left off the pedal so you do not drift. Again, neat, but not needed.
Neat? Maybe for amputees that don't have one foot for each pedal...[/b]
Yeah, I agree. I'd like to see that feature on a manual instead.

I simply left foot brake with my auto - much better control and faster rection.

#531370 - 02/05/06 01:23 PM Re: Is the off road edition so much better than the se?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonlc:
So much support! I'm impressed. So from what I gather the only things I should really replace right now are the shocks, the tires/wheels, and maybe a few more durable aftermarket seat covers? Wow thanks for the help! Hopefully everything will pan out nicely. I can't wait to get out there.
Problem is, there is few to no aftermarket wheels available. BW Wheels makes the Gunner6 which is supposed to fit, but that's about your only option without going with spacers.

#531371 - 02/05/06 01:34 PM Re: Is the off road edition so much better than the se?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The OR edition is what a grand more than the s or se? I say save your money and wait for aussie or someone to make a rear locker for 275 and. OR doesnt have anything special besides a locker really. Skids are crap and people replace em, the blistiens so what those are gone after you lift it. Get an S and wait for a locker and save yourself a bunch of cash.

#531372 - 02/05/06 02:01 PM Re: Is the off road edition so much better than the se?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Coming from the POS, limited slip on the '03 SE/SC, the OR locker is very cool. I'm happy with it. [ThumbsUp]

Other things that it does are cool too and debateable on whether they're needed, but it is nice to be pointing at the sky and be able to let up on the brake without rolling. wink Hill decent is a little too much for most situations, but it does make sure you don't go too fast for the conditions. eek

#531373 - 02/05/06 02:15 PM Re: Is the off road edition so much better than the se?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well the problem is, and ARB locker is $750 + compressor and then installation. So you are looking at probably $1200 just for a rear locker in the future.

#531374 - 02/05/06 03:27 PM Re: Is the off road edition so much better than the se?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I didn't mean to make light of the rear locker on the OR. When you're locked and loaded, the OR kicks ass all over the S/SE. Period.

I meant to imply that a lot (but not all) people who own an Xterra may never find themselves in a situation where they'll need a locking rear end.

#531375 - 02/05/06 05:07 PM Re: Is the off road edition so much better than the se?
Anonymous
Unregistered

doesn't the SE automatically come with the smaller rear axle? that's not good and I don't see a locker coming out for it anytime soon. not to mention that you'debe polishing a turd with even more money.

the bigger nissan-dana 44 rear axle is only available in one of two ways:
1) OffRoad edition with either auto or stick
2) any base or S model with a stick shift trans(no locker)

the SE is auto only. I gave up the leather wrapped steering wheel and 17's for the OR model. the gearing is lower on the OR as well.

#531376 - 02/05/06 06:28 PM Re: Is the off road edition so much better than the se?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Its true the thing about the Dana 44 on the OR. I have one (OR) and I wouldn't change it for an SE and $2000. I'm pretty sure your dealer (or any other one near by) can match the price you'r looking at.

Anyway both are EXCELENT choices and you'll be very happy with whatever you get.

#531377 - 03/05/06 07:03 AM Re: Is the off road edition so much better than the se?
Anonymous
Unregistered

this really depends on what you need and consider "better". If you are going to do a lot of offroading...the OR is the better X no doubt. If you spend more time on the pavement, the SE is no doubt better IMO. There were enough little additions (17 wheels, more pavement oriented tires, leather steering wheel cover, RF stereo, silver trim on gauges, steering wheel stereo controls, side steps, trip computer, etc) on the SE that made it an easy choice for me over the OR. Mine aint no mallcrawler, but i dont kid myself thinking ill be crawling over 10ft boulders in Moab either.

The choice is yours based on your priorities. Cant go wrong.

edit: sp

#531378 - 03/05/06 08:41 AM Re: Is the off road edition so much better than the se?
Anonymous
Unregistered

There were enough little additions (17 wheels, more pavement oriented tires, leather steering wheel cover, RF stereo, silver trim on gauges, steering wheel stereo controls, side steps, trip computer, etc) on the SE that made it an easy choice for me over the OR. Mine aint no mallcrawler, but i dont kid myself thinking ill be crawling over 10ft boulders in Moab either.

edit: sp[/QB][/QUOTE]

The Or also comes with the same RF stereo. In my opinion there is a reason the SE are being sold at good deals and the OR are hard to find?

#531379 - 03/05/06 09:16 AM Re: Is the off road edition so much better than the se?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by mudhog:
The Or also comes with the same RF stereo. In my opinion there is a reason the SE are being sold at good deals and the OR are hard to find?
Only in Canada does the OR come standard with the RF stereo. In the US it's a $1500 option.

#531380 - 03/05/06 09:52 AM Re: Is the off road edition so much better than the se?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

The Or also comes with the same RF stereo. In my opinion there is a reason the SE are being sold at good deals and the OR are hard to find?[/QB]
Each region has different demographics and needs, there are no OR's at my dealer, and I asked why...he said because they had to trade away the last 4 they had (similar story to the OR pathfinder), they do not sell well here. This forum is probably more of the enthusiast crowd, and favors the OR for its offroad capabilities...that is not what the majority of X buyers ultimately want...despite the "extreme" advertising. Interestingly enough, i think if i read this forum as much as I have now, before buying my SE, i would have seriously considered the OR smile They are both that good, but for differernt strokes.

anyways, the car is yours, choose for yourself what you want. go out and do it.

#531381 - 03/05/06 09:58 AM Re: Is the off road edition so much better than the se?
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by mudhog:
...Mine aint no mallcrawler, but i dont kid myself thinking ill be crawling over 10ft boulders in Moab either.
The thing is - nobody pictures themselves doing that at first... and then there you are in Moab or Colorado or Arizona wishing you had a locker.

It's like when I was buying mine and was debating whether to spend the extra money on a 4x4... my GF said "Hey, is there a chance that you'll be sorry later that you didn't get it? yeah? well then GET IT".

#531382 - 03/05/06 10:02 AM Re: Is the off road edition so much better than the se?
Anonymous
Unregistered

do all OR models come with a rear locker?

#531383 - 03/05/06 10:07 AM Re: Is the off road edition so much better than the se?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by tuff:
do all OR models come with a rear locker?
Yep

#531384 - 03/05/06 11:07 AM Re: Is the off road edition so much better than the se?
Anonymous
Unregistered

no, the 2WD doesn't come with a locker, unlike the Nismo frontier, which does have a locker in 2wd flavor.

how is it an offroad model then? um...because nissan said so!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal