Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#532998 - 17/12/05 01:25 PM Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just wanted to let you know that I installed a locking handle on my roof bin from Southco (the manufacturer of the stock handle) The part # to order is 92-41-521 Clicky You can contact Southco at info@southco.com to find a supplier near you. The install took under 10 minutes, and the only part you use from the new locking handle is the handle itself, all of the original parts are re-used. Here is a quick install explaination:

1. Remove the first nut and lock washer holding the locking mechanism in and set parts to side (note how they go back together).

2. Remove the two small screws holding the handle onto the bin.
3. Pull the handle out of the bin
4. Remove second nut and spacer.
5. Remove third nut and lock washer, and pull housing off of handle.
6. Pull locking pin out of handle and set threaded bolt aside.

7. Disassemble new handle the same way you did the stock handle.
8. Re-assemble new locking handle using all the parts from stock handle, including the shorter bolt removed earlier (This is needed due to the original bolt being smaller and all original parts look to be stainless steel).
9. Re-install new handle the same way it was un-installed, also using the black gasket that was on the original handle.

You should now be done and have a new locking handle.

#532999 - 17/12/05 01:39 PM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does it come with a key?

#533000 - 17/12/05 01:40 PM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was unable to view the pix. However, I must admit...U R DA MAN! [Smoking] Thanks 4 the info [ThumbsUp]

#533001 - 17/12/05 01:42 PM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by lifeinthesouth:
Does it come with a key?
R U 4 real?
eek

#533002 - 17/12/05 01:45 PM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TIERRA:
Quote:
Originally posted by lifeinthesouth:
[b]Does it come with a key?
R U 4 real?
eek [/b]
[LOL] [LOL] [LOL]
u have to fabricate the key TIERRA wink

5 trucks for you eist1, but somehow i cant give you trucks confused , nice mod

#533003 - 17/12/05 02:05 PM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, it comes with a set of keys...

#533004 - 17/12/05 05:06 PM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

ok...so how much did it cost. if its low enough i call and try to find a dealer. if the cost isnt too high ill put in the effort. good job finding this.

#533005 - 17/12/05 08:01 PM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

I found a site Website that is selling the 92-41-521 for $50.47 , or a different one 92-41-511 for $27.22, but not sure if this part number will work, might want to try emailing Southco at info@southco.com and see if the cheaper part number will work or they can point you to a supplier.

#533006 - 19/12/05 10:53 PM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

Got the pix working for anyone interested...

#533007 - 20/12/05 08:21 AM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

i found a supplier with the right part number for a little over 30 in austin.

#533008 - 20/12/05 09:29 AM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by beetlebailey:
Do they have an online presence or a number I could call. $50 is a bit steep, but $30 is resonable. I really want to lock that box so I can keep some of the recovery gear up there.

#533009 - 20/12/05 11:14 AM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Can you get a group deal going? I'm sure there are a bunch of us who are willing to spend the $30 for this worthwhile investment.

#533010 - 20/12/05 11:53 AM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you guys need to gauge interest, I'd be in on a group buy. Just let me know

#533011 - 20/12/05 12:48 PM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Hey beetlebailey can you shed some light on who you found in Austin? It would save me a little legwork.

I saw that Nappco Fasteners is a Southco distributor, but I thought I may check with Cothron Lock and Key as well.

Please let me know.

regards,

#533012 - 20/12/05 12:54 PM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by max6spd:
Quote:
[b]i found a supplier with the right part number for a little over 30 in austin.
Can you get a group deal going? I'm sure there are a bunch of us who are willing to spend the $30 for this worthwhile investment.[/b]
I'm not sure how much free time beetlebailey has, but I may be interested in helping on a group buy as a community service. I would do it at cost plus shipping. My guess is shipping would range from $5 on the low end to $7.70 on the high end for a USPS Flat Rate Box.

Once I hear from beetlebailey I will check with his source so see if any price breaks are available.

regards,

#533013 - 20/12/05 01:01 PM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am interested, so keep me posted.

#533014 - 20/12/05 01:01 PM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

Austin Hardware has the latches for $27. We use Austin Hardware for work they are good to deal with. Here is the link
http://www.austinhardware.com/product.asp?dept%5Fid=432&pf%5Fid=3064

#533015 - 20/12/05 01:06 PM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nice write up with some good info - I would also be interested in group purchase.

#533016 - 20/12/05 01:10 PM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ah, ok, I see the difference between the $27 and $50 one. It's the grip range. The $27 might not work.

EDIT: I retract that statement. After re-reading the write up, since you only use the handle, the grip range would not matter as that would change when you put the stock guts on the grip. I am going to order the $27 one and I'll give it a shot and let you guys know what I find out. If it doesn't work out, then I'll be in for the group order.

#533017 - 20/12/05 03:35 PM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

sorry i havnt been around for replys. yes the link for the 27 dollar one is what i was talking about. i should have linked it in the first place. and as was stated, using the inners from the stocker should allow it. Im in the process of moving right now to dallas fort worth area so i dont know if i could help too much on a group buy. if willyswan would wanna do it id be down to help or at least add myself to the buy list. Im taking my dog to the vet tomorrow and packing house stuff. if willy could call and maybe work out something that would be cool. or are we all going to wait for muzikman to get it and give the thumbs up?

#533018 - 20/12/05 03:50 PM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

ok one thing to note is at the Southco website. if you look under the original posts link for the latch, youll see a PDF for product info. at the very bottom of the second(last) page youll see each part number. the one we have found is the 511 suffix while the one used in the write up is the 521. if you look at the chart, it looks like the handle of the 511 part number is a half an inch shorter. it might just be better to suck it up and find and buy the 521 suffix even if it is more expencive. since it is the stock length as we can see in the first photos in the write up. maybe muzikman can confirm what ive said if hes called the supplier, or maybe this will save him from buying a shorter version.

#533019 - 20/12/05 03:50 PM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

oh heres the link for the lazy bums to that PDF
http://www.southco.com/resources/literature/2-1-1.en.pdf

#533020 - 20/12/05 10:09 PM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

Count me in for the group buy as well.

#533021 - 21/12/05 06:45 AM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am also in on a group buy.

#533022 - 21/12/05 06:54 AM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, I just ordered the 511 model. We'll see if it works. Even if the handle is a bit shorter, I wouldn't pay the extra ~$25 for 1/2". Even if this works, I would see about bulk pricing as their shipping cost for one is $11, which is a bit high.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal