Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#533023 - 21/12/05 07:25 AM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

we eagerly await your install and dare I say...pics?

#533024 - 21/12/05 08:36 AM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Muzikman:
Ok, I just ordered the 511 model. We'll see if it works. Even if the handle is a bit shorter, I wouldn't pay the extra ~$25 for 1/2". Even if this works, I would see about bulk pricing as their shipping cost for one is $11, which is a bit high.
Awesome. Once we hear from you how the 511 works, I will check on volume pricing. I have located three distributors I can try to get quotes from.

regards,

#533025 - 21/12/05 12:37 PM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

Count me in on a group buy.

#533026 - 21/12/05 01:49 PM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just got an email from them stating that the part is on backorder for 2-3 weeks. So I'll let you guys know when I get it.

It's now a race, which get's here first, the Shrock bumper or the locking handle? wink

#533027 - 22/12/05 05:08 AM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by willyswan:
I'm not sure how much free time beetlebailey has, but I may be interested in helping on a group buy as a community service
Thanks willyswan

#533028 - 22/12/05 06:25 AM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nice job and great install.

#533029 - 31/12/05 07:35 AM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

So Music? Did it work?

#533030 - 31/12/05 08:06 AM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

Killer find on the handle

I am all for the group buy

Just let us know

#533031 - 31/12/05 07:44 PM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

Awesome find!!! I'm in for the group buy too.

#533032 - 31/12/05 08:57 PM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

count me in on a group buy too... and good find by the way [ThumbsUp]

#533033 - 01/01/06 01:20 AM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

Count me in too. I don't need no one snagging my frosty Weisen Bier!

Bo out!

#533034 - 02/01/06 08:37 AM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by DucatiboyX:
So Music? Did it work?
Hasn't got here yet. As soon as it does I'll put it on and let you guys know.

#533035 - 02/01/06 12:53 PM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

Im in on a group buy!
MC

#533036 - 09/01/06 06:10 PM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, the latch from Austin Hardware $ Supply got here today. Below are some pictures. The install was very simple, even more simple than eist1's install.

1. Remove nut and lock washer from handle.
2. Remove handle from lid by removing the two small screws on each side.
3. Remove nut and spacer from old handle.
4. Place spacer and nut on new handle.
5. Attach the new handle to the lid with the two small screws you took out (or with the two that are supplied with the new handle). (I used the rubber gasket that came off the old handle instead of the cork one that came with the new handle.)
6. Attach the rods with the mounts you removed from the old handle.
7. Replace the lock washer and nut and tighten them.

That's it, you now have a locking bin. I bought the S92-41-511 from Austin Hardware & Supply. You will need a 17mm socket/wrench and a 7mm socket/wrench. Total install time less than 10 minutes. It took me about 15 including taking the pictures.

What I got with the new handle:

The old handle:

What I used:

The difference in the two handles. The locking one is on th left (I was concerned that the new one was shorter, as you can see, it's identical):

#533037 - 09/01/06 08:40 PM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

Muzikman,

Great find on the cheaper version of the handle!! The reason I used the original parts, was that on the handle I got, the bolt was longer, but it looks like the bolt on the one you got was the same size. Also, the parts that are on the original are stainless steel, which might last a little longer. Great going....

#533038 - 10/01/06 08:09 AM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

I called them and now they want $30 for it and around $10 for shipping. A little pricy for what it is. Has anyone found other brands or solutions for this that are cheaper. I mean come on its just a stupid locking handle not rocket science.

#533039 - 10/01/06 08:25 AM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Waverider:
I called them and now they want $30 for it
I called too and pointed out that the website listed it for $27 so the guy on the phone gave it to me for $27... but we'll see if he makes up for it in shipping, or taxes. :rolleyes:

#533040 - 10/01/06 09:08 AM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

Personally, I think this is worth the $30. I think if someone would put together a group buy, you should be able to get it a bit cheaper and pay less in shipping. The handle should only cost $3 or so to ship via USPS.

I now have my recovery gear up in the bin and don't have to worry about someone just being curious and opening the bin and taking it all. Not that it would be all that hard to break into the bin, the hard part is actually getting up there to try and break into it. I used a step ladder to change out the handle as trying to stand on the slider and do it was a pain.

#533041 - 10/01/06 09:47 AM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just called and ordered mine. The guy said there would be a 7-10 day wait for them to get more in. I believe the price he quoted me (without shipping) was $30.25.

#533042 - 11/01/06 08:45 AM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

There is a local Southco distributor in town. I sent a note yesterday requesting a quote for 12 handles. I was quoted $30.10...I'm guessing this is list price and Southco probably raised their prices from the $27 price as of Jan. 1.

Anyway, I sent him back a note laying out the situation...we are a bunch of tightwads trying to upgrade our Xterras and asked if there is a volume at which he will cut us a break on price.

I will let you know what I hear.

regards,

#533043 - 11/01/06 09:21 AM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

So here is the deal:

Quote:
In order to get a better price, you would need to buy 50 pieces. At that quantity, your cost would be 21.50/ea and the next break would be at 100 which is 19.00/ea. At this time, Southco shows to have 94 in stock.
Of course, it would be a taxable sale, so the net prices would be $23.27 and $20.57. 50 pieces is a pretty big nut. Sounds like a lot of work to save 9 bones.

If the handle assembly weighs under one pound, it can probably be shipped USPS in a padded envelope for under $4.

For less than 50 parts, my net price with tax will be $32.58. Say $36.50 with shipping.

Any suggestions on what we should do?

regards,

#533044 - 11/01/06 09:24 AM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

I only paid $40 including shipping for mine straight from Auston Hardware, so you would only be saving $6 and you would either have to front the money or find 50 people who would be willing to pre-pay. But then again, I already got mine, so my opinion really doesn't count.

#533045 - 11/01/06 11:07 AM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm interested, but for ~$10 difference, way too much time/effort to make it worth it, in my opinion at least. I'll likely direct order it closer to spring, when I'd likely be installing it.

#533046 - 13/01/06 07:38 PM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

A little help for us dumb folk. laugh As far as the handle rotation, I am not sure what is meant by clockwise vs. counterclockwise. I know what the terms mean; I am just not sure in "handle talk" what's what, as obviously the stock handle goes both clockwise and counterclockwise depending on if you're latching it or unlatching it. What would be the correct version to get? And the grip range is generally the distance from the handle to the locking mechanism? or to the latching hardware? I gather from Musikman's post that the griprange for the handle around 30 bones is the one I want?

#533047 - 14/01/06 03:15 PM Re: Locking Handle for Roof Bin
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello,

At this point I am pretty confused. I know that the handle turns counterclockwise to unlatch, but am not certain if "counterclockwise rotation" means rotation to latch, or rotation to unlatch. Could someone please clarify?

Also, I am willing to wait until a group buy gets to 50. Count me in if a group buy is feasible.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal