Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#533589 - 05/10/06 03:47 PM Automatic Starter Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've done some searching on few sites, to no effect. Has anyone installed an Automatic Starter, or perhaps had it installed in a shop? I'm wondering what has to be done prior to that. The truck cannot be started unless the Key is inside, and the truck senses it. Would this mean that there has to be a separate Key made so that it can be stored somewhere inside? Or, is there another way to do this? I would hate to leave the key inside. For one, its expensive, and Two, if someone knows about the whole deal, they will know that the Key is inside. If anyone knows, please let me know. It's getting cold up here, and I hate running outside to warm the truck up. Thanks.

#533590 - 05/10/06 09:17 PM Re: Automatic Starter Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have an auto start on my truck.. i had it installed where i bought the system.

The only thing /i/ had to do was make sure i had a spare key in case the installation ruined the key they using.

It didn't happen, but they require you have at least two keys as a precaution.

Other than that, nothing is different.. you don't need a key inside the truck.. nothing out of the ordinary.

#533591 - 06/10/06 05:22 AM Re: Automatic Starter Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TRIPIIIE X:
I've done some searching on few sites, to no effect. Has anyone installed an Automatic Starter, or perhaps had it installed in a shop? I'm wondering what has to be done prior to that. The truck cannot be started unless the Key is inside, and the truck senses it. Would this mean that there has to be a separate Key made so that it can be stored somewhere inside? Or, is there another way to do this? I would hate to leave the key inside. For one, its expensive, and Two, if someone knows about the whole deal, they will know that the Key is inside. If anyone knows, please let me know. It's getting cold up here, and I hate running outside to warm the truck up. Thanks.
Yes you will need a key embedded inside your truck. The 05+ Xterras have a transponder chip inside the key that is needed to start the X. Older Xterras may/may not have it. Those that don't have it obviously don't need the key. Installers generally install the key way deep inside the dash so it's not a thief can reach under and pull the key out.

#533592 - 06/10/06 08:15 AM Re: Automatic Starter Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

oh sorry, i didn't realize you had an 05

#533593 - 06/10/06 10:06 AM Re: Automatic Starter Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you both for replying, this helped a lot. I might just use the 3rd Valet Key for that, if I even have it. I can't remember if it came in the bundle. That or of to the dealer to program a Key. Once again. Thank You and have a great weekend.

#533594 - 06/10/06 11:08 AM Re: Automatic Starter Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Try this place. I've used them and they're significantly cheaper than the dealer.

http://www.streetkeys.com/

#533595 - 06/10/06 01:22 PM Re: Automatic Starter Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not sure about Nissan's, but for other cars that use chipped keys, aftermarket remote starters sometimes have bypass modules, so you don't have to have a key in the system. They're usually more expensive than just getting a key, but they also help protect against people stealing your car.

The problem with sticking a key into the dash, is you lose the security of having chipped keys in the first place.

#533596 - 06/10/06 02:48 PM Re: Automatic Starter Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks. I checked the site. It looks good. I'll just have to compare what the dealer will charge me for the programming. It does suck a bit though, that you have to add that much more $$$. I will also look into the module and how much it costs. I will keep you posted on how it goes. But if it goes up to be "stupid" expensive, I'll just get a warmer coat. hehe. And a good point with "loosing the feature of having a chipped Key"..I never thought about that. Makes me want to reconsider. Thanks.

#533597 - 06/10/06 09:54 PM Re: Automatic Starter Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Some installers will file down metal part of the chipped key that is kept in the vehicle. That way, you have the chip in the car, but the key will no longer turn in the ignition even if some finds it.

#533598 - 07/10/06 06:52 AM Re: Automatic Starter Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by 05_X:
Some installers will file down metal part of the chipped key that is kept in the vehicle. That way, you have the chip in the car, but the key will no longer turn in the ignition even if some finds it.
True, but one of the reasons for the chipped key systems is to prevent unauthorized methods of starting cars (hotwiring, etc). With a valid key always registering with the system, a car thief has a much better chance of taking off with your X.

That said, it's hardly something you have to worry about in most cases. Car thefts in my area are low, so It's a useless point for me. But I'm not sure about Chicago.

#533599 - 12/10/06 12:31 PM Re: Automatic Starter Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks to everone. I don't expect the X being stolen. and for that, we have insurance. I don't have any aftermarket parts in it, and don't think I will. I have put Off Roading on the back plaine. There is just no time for it. At least for me. It seems like life just gets busier in general, and its not for pleasure. I might consider sticking the key in the car and going about it that way. But, that was the point to begin with. With the Key inside, it defeats the whole purpose of the chip itself. Thanks again Everyone, and have a great weekend.

#533600 - 13/10/06 02:57 PM Re: Automatic Starter Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Buley:
Quote:
Originally posted by 05_X:
[b]Some installers will file down metal part of the chipped key that is kept in the vehicle. That way, you have the chip in the car, but the key will no longer turn in the ignition even if some finds it.
True, but one of the reasons for the chipped key systems is to prevent unauthorized methods of starting cars (hotwiring, etc). With a valid key always registering with the system, a car thief has a much better chance of taking off with your X.

That said, it's hardly something you have to worry about in most cases. Car thefts in my area are low, so It's a useless point for me. But I'm not sure about Chicago.[/b]
The key in the module only registers with the system when the alarm is disarmed. It's not like you're "bypassing" or "disabling" the immobilizer, you're just sending a signal to it when the truck is being remote started, in essence "emulating" you putting the real key to the ignition.

It uses a small ring of wire that you wrap around the ignition cylinder, and it sends the signal that makes the car THINK there is a chip there, ONLY when remote starting. At least that's how the last remote start/alarm I installed worked. So unless a thief can find the module with the key in it, and then put it up to the ignition while hotwiring, the truck is not going to start.

So hiding that little box is your best bet. I think that very few thieves, if any, would go through the trouble of trying to find that box (assuming you don't put it in an obvious place) in order to steal an X with such a system installed. It's just not worth the hassle. Easier to tow the thing if they want it that bad.

#533601 - 17/10/06 04:50 AM Re: Automatic Starter Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

yea..
i thought about getting a remote start too..
but for the 05 and ups..
The key has a chip inside it.
So you will need a spare key,at least another extra key..
Since the dealer gives you two keys with alarm,and another regular key...

#533602 - 17/10/06 09:50 AM Re: Automatic Starter Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

"Since the dealer gives you two keys with alarm,and another regular key..."

All three keys are chipped.
If one were not chipped, it would not be able to start the truck.

So - you could sacrifice the "valet" key and still have 2 left.

#533603 - 31/10/06 08:58 AM Re: Automatic Starter Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks again everyone. I will be installing the starter shortly. Before the cold begins. I will let you know how it works, and if I am pleased with it.
Thanksa again, and have a great week.

p.s. sorry for the long reply. I did notice that it ended 2 weeks ago.

#533604 - 31/10/06 11:00 AM Re: Automatic Starter Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

I bought a ProStart remote starter on the weekend from Canadian Tire and am having it installed tomorrow. They'll be putting a spare key in the dash somewhere. I had it done on my previous car which was a nissan sentra which had the chipped keys and it worked just great.

#533605 - 31/10/06 11:18 AM Re: Automatic Starter Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by mmaaxx:
I bought a ProStart remote starter on the weekend from Canadian Tire and am having it installed tomorrow. They'll be putting a spare key in the dash somewhere. I had it done on my previous car which was a nissan sentra which had the chipped keys and it worked just great.
Thanks for feedback.

#533606 - 04/11/06 01:03 PM Re: Automatic Starter Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Your question has been answered but I just did have a Viper 5900 2-way remote start put in. They had to use the Valet Key for the immobilizer. However if you got the S without the power package you don't need the key.

#533607 - 04/11/06 02:27 PM Re: Automatic Starter Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

i have a O6 Xterra.
and i have the AutoPage 725 on mine.alarm and remote start everything.
And yes i had to make another spare key.
the dealer charged me $80.00 to make a spare key.

#533608 - 04/11/06 04:22 PM Re: Automatic Starter Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

My remote starter has been installed but not without a couple of problems. When I lock the doors with the remote starter key fob, the factory alarm will not arm itself. It only works with the nissan key fob. The installer says that the vehicle immobilizer system will still work on it so the vehicle won't be going anywhere if someone gets inside. As well, the doors do not always unlock when I press the button even though the key fob says they are unlocked(it has 2 way communication). I gotta get the installer to sort that out. I am still pretty happy with it cause it's starting to get pretty cold up here!

#533609 - 06/11/06 02:42 PM Re: Automatic Starter Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the feedback again.

#533610 - 07/11/06 09:59 AM Re: Automatic Starter Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Something seems a little messed up about that. If you didn't get an alarm with your remote start they should be able to make the factory alarm work. It should definitely unlock the doors. They need to definitely fix that.

#533611 - 07/11/06 11:01 AM Re: Automatic Starter Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have installed the new Clifford 2-way pager alarm car starter. I was given 3 keys when I bought my X. 1 key goes into the module of the starter/alarm. The alarm is great it has an automatic kill switch if somebody tries to break into your X while its running(thats if the doors are unlocked). I love this alarm because it works up to 1/2 a mile away... and it has many options.

#533612 - 15/11/06 06:12 AM Re: Automatic Starter Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by mmaaxx:
My remote starter has been installed but not without a couple of problems. When I lock the doors with the remote starter key fob, the factory alarm will not arm itself. It only works with the nissan key fob. The installer says that the vehicle immobilizer system will still work on it so the vehicle won't be going anywhere if someone gets inside. As well, the doors do not always unlock when I press the button even though the key fob says they are unlocked(it has 2 way communication). I gotta get the installer to sort that out. I am still pretty happy with it cause it's starting to get pretty cold up here!
Bring it back to the place where you got the install done, and let the installer know that the wires for lock and unlock are in the driver's kick panel (harness that goes into the door boot. If he ties the unit's lock wire into a light blue wire, it will arm the factory alarm and lock the door at the same time. Tying into the red/white(sometimes grey) wire in the same harness with the unlock wire from the unit will disarm the alarm and unlock the door with a double pulse (usually can change that in the programming of the installed unit.) First pulse will disarm the eom alarm, the second will unlock the door. If you want the alarm to disarm and unlock at the exact same time, he will have to use the unlock wire from the installed unit to pulse both the red/white wire and the wire he currently has hooked up for unlock at the same time (using diodes). It's wicked easy to do. HTH

#533613 - 12/11/07 12:54 PM Re: Automatic Starter Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does anyone know if installing an Automatic Starter voids the warranty? Also, I already bought the kit- what is a good price to have it installed... I've been quoted $120.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal