Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#53687 - 09/05/05 06:42 AM Yakima canoe Gunwale Brackets
Anonymous
Unregistered

http://www.xterraparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=Xterra&Product_Code=5007

I ordered a set of 2005 mighty-mites and the Yakima canoe brackets. When I assembled the brackets to the mighty might there is a gap between the bottom of the Yakima bracket and the mighty-mite at the load bearing point.

I called courtesy parts and they said this was normal. Huh? I had to make some spacers to get this thing mechanically feasible. Without a spacer the mounts tilt in putting the load bearing surface at an angle to the load. I will try to upload some pictures.

Has anyone experienced a fit problem like this? Is there that much difference between the 2004-2005 mighty-mite that would cause this?

#53688 - 09/05/05 07:27 AM Re: Yakima canoe Gunwale Brackets
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think you would have had just as good results with a good set of foam blocks like these:
https://www.oldtowncanoe.com/catalog.php?fr_sw=0&igroup_id=146§ion_id=4

I've used foam blocks to mount the canoe to the roof of my Civic for years and drove 80mph on the highway without any movement ever. The crossbars on the Xterra are wide enough for the foam blocks to rest on.

I am not trying to put down the mighty-mounts. I've never used them or seen them in person, but since I don't trust the stock cross bars on the Xterra because plastic is used to mount them to the main bars, then the mighty-mounts were not an option for me. I don't know that stock crossbars are actually weak, but I prefer metal to plastic. So I am using u-bolts to attach two pieces of square tubing on the main bars to put my canoe on. This way I can tighten up as much as I want with my ratchet straps without worrying about breaking the crossbar mounts when I tie down the bow and stern.

I've put a piece of black hose on the u-bolt so it doesn't scratch the rack and I insert another piece of rubber between my homemade crossbars and the main bars for the same reason.

From looking at the pictures for the mighty-mounts and the gunwall brackets, I can see where you mean that support is lacking.

#53689 - 09/05/05 05:08 PM Re: Yakima canoe Gunwale Brackets
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have those gunwal brackets also, but I also have the Yakima Low Rider rack that mounts on the stock rack. With the brackets on the cross bars of the Yakima rack the canoe is solid as a rock.

#53690 - 25/05/05 09:08 AM Re: Yakima canoe Gunwale Brackets
Anonymous
Unregistered

Evidently the guy at Courtsey Parts did not know what he was talking about. He assured me that the mighty-mite would mate with any accessory.

Here are some pictures of what I got and what I plan to do to make it work.

http://community.webshots.com/album/353136541VAqGrH

#53691 - 25/05/05 12:14 PM Re: Yakima canoe Gunwale Brackets
superjens Offline

Loc: North Vancouver
Yikes, I'd be scared too.

I still don't understand why people are paying for anything just to tie a canoe down though. Ever hear of rope and racheting straps? Maybe a sponge between the canoe and the stock rack if you don't want to scratch it up, but otherwise I just don't see a point in using anything else.

#53692 - 25/05/05 01:11 PM Re: Yakima canoe Gunwale Brackets
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow, you talk like an engineer.

#53693 - 25/05/05 05:24 PM Re: Yakima canoe Gunwale Brackets
superjens Offline

Loc: North Vancouver
Don't be an ass.

I'm not an engineer, but from the sounds of it you obviously must be. Edumacate me then smarty pants, what have my two racheting straps across the hull fore and aft of my canoe been missing that these magical brackets would bring to the table?

I haven't had any shifting or movements at all this way, including long highway trips, strong crosswinds, quick shifting accident avoiding maneuvers, offroading, etc.

Or maybe you just want to justify having spent money for nothing?

#53694 - 26/05/05 06:54 AM Re: Yakima canoe Gunwale Brackets
Anonymous
Unregistered

I got an email from Courtesy Parts acknowledging that there had been a change with the 2005 Xterra and they have offered me a refund.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

#53695 - 26/05/05 08:48 AM Re: Yakima canoe Gunwale Brackets
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by superjens:

I haven't had any shifting or movements at all this way, including long highway trips, strong crosswinds, quick shifting accident avoiding maneuvers, offroading, etc.

Or maybe you just want to justify having spent money for nothing?
Same here with foam blocks and ratchet straps on the roof of a Civic at 85MPH. With side winds, the canoe does not move, it moves the whole car.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal