Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#54511 - 24/05/02 04:08 PM Yakima Space Booster Install
gunnarx Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
This may be old news, but I searched the site for info on installing a Yakima Rooftop Box directly to the factory rack and found little... I bought the Sapce Booster and the brackets do fit on the factory rack and all you need is some longer bolts to make it work. The Yakima website and fit books say you need the minimounts and Yakima rails. Is this what other people have experienced?

#54512 - 26/05/02 03:21 PM Re: Yakima Space Booster Install
chrismoose Offline

Loc: colorado
I mounted a Thule Frontier box which is almost identical to the Yakima Space Booster. I used horizontal mighty mounts which proved very strong. The "quick connect" brackets that came with the Thule box almost worked but the bolts weren't long enough and I couldn't find longer metric carriage bolts at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. Anyway, the mighty mounts work great and even though technically this practice may invalidate your warranty, the functionality is what matters to me. I also use the mighty mounts for the Yakima BasketCase which I use most of the time.

#54513 - 30/05/02 08:19 PM Re: Yakima Space Booster Install
mtbfuel Offline

Can you guys show me a pic of these? I have been looking at getting one of them. I need to see what they look like on the X. I am trying to find a box that will fit somehow and still fit in my garage.

Thanks, Jeremy

#54514 - 02/06/02 12:31 PM Re: Yakima Space Booster Install
Buzzardz Offline

Loc: Connecticut
The Yakima rocket box is large and fits well on the factory bars. Lots Of storage for all them weekend goodies! it does raise the profile and gas mileage suffers some.You will need to make sure it clears the rear lift, so it sits forward a bit. Also it needs longer screws, I used Stainless steel stove bolts at 42 cents each from hardware store. Stainless Steel is whimy compared to grade 5 or 8 SAE bolting, but it won't rust and it is strong enough for this application. It did worry me sitting up there at hi speeds... but it hasn't launched...yet. oh yea, watch those seven foot six parking garages...The crunch you here is $$$ rocket box pieces.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal