Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#545655 - 24/11/05 05:32 PM lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

okay so i searched and i read, and i read, and i ....

Are there any definitive answers as to what lifts are available now, and what lifts will be available and exactly when? Of the lifts that are available now, where can we get 'em and how well do they do their job?

From reading the other posts, I can't get any clear answers - I hear one guy called a place and they said 4 weeks, another guy called, and they said they're shipping next week. i dunno

In the end, I am trying to put a specific set of 33x12.50s on my '05 X and I want to do it this weekend (it's my birthday [ThumbsUp] ) - is there something out now, that I can order to fit these bad boys on my truck in a timely manner? Or what?

#545656 - 24/11/05 06:44 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think you can safely make other plans for this weekend.

#545657 - 24/11/05 06:52 PM Re: lift options
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
The stock size is 32", you want a new 33" tire that sticks out only 1/2" further than stock....So - If you take a few simple measurements, you will see you have more than enough room to mount 33's. (An extra 1/2" around the tire you have now)

laugh

You don't need a lift to mount 33's on an '05.

laugh

Let that sink in, roll it around....feel the joy seep in....

OK - Now, just get the new tires....be happy.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#545658 - 24/11/05 07:16 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
The stock size is 32", you want a new 33" tire that sticks out only 1/2" further than stock....So - If you take a few simple measurements, you will see you have more than enough room to mount 33's. (An extra 1/2" around the tire you have now)

laugh

laugh

Let that sink in, roll it around....feel the joy seep in....

OK - Now, just get the new tires....be happy.

laugh
Actually TJ he has a set of 31's on there unless he has the 75 series then you would be correct but since he has an S edition like me then he should only have the 70 series which is a 31. wink

#545659 - 24/11/05 09:14 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
You do if you want to mount 33x12.50

#545660 - 24/11/05 09:44 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

you do, you don't - sounds like everything is just speculation - guess I'm going to be trying things out this weekend. I know that the 285/75s (32.8") fit, but may rub a little. I imagine I think I'm going to need a little something to stuff some 33x12.50s - but the question(s) is/are what? and more importantly when? Any smaller lift options (not calmini, not daystar - btw, when are these available?)?

#545661 - 25/11/05 01:40 AM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

The only one that has the smallest lift out there right now is Daystar.

#545662 - 25/11/05 05:04 AM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Galusha:
The only one that has the smallest lift out there right now is Daystar.
and the daystar is confirmed to be shipping now? has it been released or still in the r&d stage? I haven't seen anybody on here with it yet.

#545663 - 25/11/05 10:04 AM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm still getting mixed communications about the thing. It should have already been released but it's not showing up on their website yet. I don't know. The last thing I heard from the guy that the company used his truck to do the mock up on was that it's suppost to be out already.

#545664 - 25/11/05 10:40 AM Re: lift options
TJ Offline

The scenario as described involved the need to mount a specific set of 33's this weekend.

The wheel wells of the S and the OR, etc., are exactly the same, so it does not matter which he has.

Most 33's are less than 33", and 32.8" would be about average-ish for most 33's, or even larger....so the 285/75/16's are aready 33's for all intents and purposes.

It looks like this is a close enough fit that he can just get the damn tires now, and do the lift later when available, etc....

...Hence the recommendation to get the tires now, and enjoy them.

laugh

If they rub a little, so what? Plastic rub is no big deal, and tends to be self clearancing/easily trimmed if desired, etc.

Now, if the question is the width, the 285's vs the 305's = a difference of 20 mm, or sticking out roughly 10 mm per sidewall, depending upon which tire, maybe a range of 10-20 mm total, or around an inch or so more clearance needed than for the 285's (11.5's...)...

....a few twists of the turn stop bolts should address full lock related issues.

Has anyone run into other well related clearance restrictions, like coil or shock clearance, etc?

If so, an SL would not fix that under compression, only at ride height, and a BL would be needed for full articulation, etc.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

#545665 - 25/11/05 10:51 AM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

The rubbing is not at full turn, its at about 70% turn. Would twisting the turn stops still work?

#545666 - 25/11/05 11:18 AM Re: lift options
TJ Offline

Pony - If it rubs at 70%, but NOT at full lock, as in at around 2/3 lock it hits something, but not before or after that, then the turn stops would not be an issue...

....if it essentially hits AT 70%, and can't go anyfurther, then 70% has BECOME full lock...and the turn stops would help stop it, but you'd be losing way more turning radius than you'd want.

Key Questions for diagnosis/putting this to bed.

What hits what at 70%?

Can you reach full lock by passing the 70% hit point?

laugh

#545667 - 25/11/05 12:17 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

Alright, so far we have not conquered any of the tasks at hand. Let's organize this a little.

1. What lifts are currently confirmed available - meaning someone has actually taken delivery of it?

2. 32.8s fit and accordingly a tire labeled 33" is actually smaller and SHOULD fit as well - although nobody has confirmed this - correct?

3. What lifts will be available and who has dates?

oh, and 4. Do the 32.8s require turn stop adjustments or just some minor plastic trimming?

#545668 - 25/11/05 01:12 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

TJ-

Why don't you just buy him the tires and drive over to his house to prove that you're right?!

#545669 - 25/11/05 01:26 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

There are NO lifts currently available. A few weeks ago they said Daystar would be taking orders for their 2" lift in 2 weeks. That was two weeks ago and have not heard anything since. Give them a call and ask.

Calmini will have a 5" lift. No date on availability

SLR will have a 7" I think it is but also No date on availablity.

285/75R16's have been proven to fit. Anything else I do not know.

#545670 - 25/11/05 01:28 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

someone has put 33" tires on their truck, and it has workied with little rubbing, though I do not know the specifics of it. defibvt has the daystar lift, but that is because he test fitted it. nobody else has recieved it.

#545671 - 25/11/05 01:34 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

looks like we'll just have to see about the tire fitting issue. Even though I'm good friends of the owners of the shop I'm going through, it's a pain in the ass to order in tires and wheels and not have them fit, then have to re-order and wait all over again. I Googled Daystar, but haven't found a site for them (just distributors)or a number. Anybody got there number, I'll give them a call, or if somebody has talked to them recently, tell us what you know. I really would like to get my wheels/tires/suspension mods (atleast my first round) done before the new year.

Thanks

#545672 - 25/11/05 01:34 PM Re: lift options
TJ Offline

Jay -

I would if I had the time and money....I'm that nice a guy.

After all, it IS his birthday.

laugh

Seriously...there's nothing to prove about the size tires, go the the tirerack.com banner above, and search for the specific tire you are getting/have, and it will list the dimensions....go to the driveway/Parking lot, etc...and measure the wells.

The questions are down to:

1. Does he need a lift to mount the tires?

2. Will the tires rub so bad he can't drive it around?

3. Is the size he's looking to mount only a fraction of an inch in any one direction larger than the largest stock tire size?

4. All pre-'05 X's front tires hit on part swing, as the rear of the front tire whacks the back of the well at the plastic mud flap ledge, if the tires are larger than stock, and the solution has always been to trim off that section of the ledge to let the tire clear as it swings by....is it the same on the '05's?

5. Is what ever hits going to move out of the way if the X is lifted?

6. Is what ever hits going to be back in the way under compression, if it cleared at ride height?

7. Will a BL solve 6.?

8. Will 33's fit well enough to drive around until the lifts or other solutions are available?

I believe the answers to all of these will result in 33's fitting on a stock '05...back in 2003, when I was at the press release of the new X, I measured the wells, and there was enough room for 33's then.

As we have some people that have mounted 33's on stock '05's already...as far I I know, with the OEM rims, they fit.

If people are running aftermarket rims with less than the stock backspacing, then all bets are off, and any tire can rub on compression, etc.

laugh

Plan B/Failsafe:

Go to tire shop, and try the ones you want on for size, if they fit, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! If they don't, trim what hits, and enjoy...or, get a rain check from the wife, and wait for the BL/SL or what ever will fix it.

laugh

The shop I use lets me test tires before buying, try on for size, and trim offending plastic, etc...and most shops will be willing to mount to check for fit.

The only shops that are a PITA are chains that will not allow their staff to mount any tire other than an OEM replacement, etc.

#545673 - 25/11/05 01:39 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
Key Questions for diagnosis/putting this to bed.

What hits what at 70%?

Can you reach full lock by passing the 70% hit point?

laugh
As said by Fastdmr, at 70% turn with 285/75 its hitting plastic, but once it passes the 70% mark, then the rest is fine. Height does not seem to be the issue. Its width that may be the problem. Do 33s fit....sure they do.....but the real question is how wide can you go. After taking measurements, i think if u go 12.50 wide, your hitting sheet metal. But then again, you dont know until you test fit.

#545674 - 25/11/05 01:47 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

sounds good, I'll let you guys know how it goes sometime next week after some trial and error

oh yeah - and if anybody's got that Daystar #...

Thanks

#545675 - 25/11/05 01:54 PM Re: lift options
TJ Offline

Doh!

I just remembered where they hit...the skirt.

Its a soft plastic piece, some people have used a heat gun, and molded the plastic back so it clears, others have just let the tire wear a hole in the soft plastic, without damage or marks on the tires.

They swing past the skirt, and are clear after that.

laugh

#545676 - 25/11/05 02:05 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by bkohler81:
oh yeah - and if anybody's got that Daystar #...

Thanks
www.daystarweb.com

#545677 - 26/11/05 01:40 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

wheels and tires ordered - update with pics on Wednesday. No luck on the lift yet, hopefully hear back by Monday.

#545678 - 30/11/05 08:47 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't really know if I like that Daystar company too much - I emailed them last friday, still have no response. I called them today, and they said "two weeks" - which to my understanding, is what they've been saying for months!

Wheels came in today, but the wrong damn lug pattern, re-ordered, they'll be in tomorrow morning

#545679 - 30/11/05 08:59 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I don't really know if I like that Daystar company too much - I emailed them last friday, still have no response. I called them today, and they said "two weeks" - which to my understanding, is what they've been saying for months!

Wheels came in today, but the wrong damn lug pattern, re-ordered, they'll be in tomorrow morning
I've gotten the same exact responses as you have. Nothing. I've e-mailed them twice with no response. I've been to busy to try to call them as of yet. I figure if they can't take the time to respond back to an e-mail then I'm not going to waste my time in trying to call them. Every other company responds back. Hell even Calmini wrote back to me in regards to the SAS kit being able to fit on the new '05 or not. Granted it took them a couple of days but they still got back to me.

#545680 - 30/11/05 09:01 PM Re: lift options
fastdrmr Offline

Loc: SLC, UT
I could have told you that we had specific/unique bolt patterns. Search... 6 on 4.5

Hmmm... another item in this thread... if you want to go 33x12.50 does that imply 15" rims? I believe someone also tried that in a shop and it did not work - the brake calipers were too big. Someone correct me on that one if I am wrong.

Yes, the 285s rub the skirt at 70% turn. No adjustments needed on the steering stops.

Also, under compression in the rear fender wells there is rubbing with the 285. A 35" tire (or equal in 315?) will not fit unless further modifications considered. At that time, a 35" tire may cause structural damage to your axle if you wheel it.

There are probably going to be rubbing issues with skirt items. Pull out the heat gun and warp it if you concerned.

I think we are going to see alot of options open up right before Christmas. I would tend to believe that the holiday season is a big sales opportunity.

Daystar, Calmini and SLR will soon have there stuff out. Just stay tuned and be patient. Hell, I've been waiting since Feb. 26 with cash in the bank. I'll tell you about being patient.

#545681 - 30/11/05 11:19 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by fastdrmr:
I could have told you that we had specific/unique bolt patterns. Search... 6 on 4.5

Hmmm... another item in this thread... if you want to go 33x12.50 does that imply 15" rims? I believe someone also tried that in a shop and it did not work - the brake calipers were too big. Someone correct me on that one if I am wrong.

Yes, the 285s rub the skirt at 70% turn. No adjustments needed on the steering stops.

Also, under compression in the rear fender wells there is rubbing with the 285. A 35" tire (or equal in 315?) will not fit unless further modifications considered. At that time, a 35" tire may cause structural damage to your axle if you wheel it.

There are probably going to be rubbing issues with skirt items. Pull out the heat gun and warp it if you concerned.

I think we are going to see alot of options open up right before Christmas. I would tend to believe that the holiday season is a big sales opportunity.

Daystar, Calmini and SLR will soon have there stuff out. Just stay tuned and be patient. Hell, I've been waiting since Feb. 26 with cash in the bank. I'll tell you about being patient.
Yeah i know about 6 on 4.5 lug pattern - they just sent the wrong set of wheels. I haven't really discussed what size wheel I was getting because I didn't feel like hearing the random bitching from people about how it's not "off-road worthy" and what not. I'm actually putting a 20" wheel on and a Nitto Terra Grappler in a 305/50/20 which is slightly shorter than the BFG's running about 32.08 inches inflated not under load. I'm hoping the slight difference in height will make up for the width issue (305 is WIDE!) and I'll be able to clear the tires with not too much hacking in the fender well. I did talk to somebody who put a 305 width on his '05 X, but he said he was running without a front bumper so he doesn't know how much cutting is involved. If the 305s dont fit tomorrow, it looks like I'll be throwing on a set of 18s with 285/60/18s Nitto Terra Grapplers. I really want the 20s though so we'll see.

#545682 - 01/12/05 08:38 AM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Not really, however your correct about the 15inch wheel. Tirerack already said that 15 inch wheel will NOT fit on the 05 X. As for 33x12.50, the Trxus comes in 33x12.50R16 and just about every other tire out there has a 305/70/R16 which comes to 32.81x12.01.

#545683 - 01/12/05 06:24 PM Re: lift options
TJ Offline

One advantage to the 305/70/16 is also the wider tread area for the section width...so, for example, the BFG AT ko in 305/70/16 is a full 33" in diameter, and has a tread width a bit wider than the traditional 33x12.5/15, with a slighly narrower section width.

The wider tread/increased contact patch with the narrower section width makes the 305/70/16 handle better than the 33x12.5/15 as well.

#545684 - 01/12/05 08:47 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
One advantage to the 305/70/16 is also the wider tread area for the section width...so, for example, the BFG AT ko in 305/70/16 is a full 33" in diameter, and has a tread width a bit wider than the traditional 33x12.5/15, with a slighly narrower section width.

The wider tread/increased contact patch with the narrower section width makes the 305/70/16 handle better than the 33x12.5/15 as well.
Hmmmm, i did not know that. Thanks TJ!

#545685 - 07/12/05 04:52 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

alrighty, so I came home disappointed tonight for a couple reasons.
1. Daystar won't call me back, won't email me back. I sent some morse code over the wire, but they didn't get that either. Ha, so who knows when I'll get a lift.
2. 305's wouldn't fit, until we took the bumper off. I can't ride around without my front bumper...well I can, I just don't want to (hopefully I'll order that Schrock Bumper by early Jan.)
3. The wheels I wanted I could not get because of our piece of shit lug pattern - so I settled on just any set I could get, which I will get media blasted and powdercoated this Saturday.
4. ...and the list goes on. The BFG AT KO's wouldn't fit because of the offset of the wheel, they just plain rubbed too hard on 45% turn. Even after cutting the inner plastic of the front wheel well.
So, I went with a smaller tire (31.5") until Daystar or somebody will hook me up with a lift. I'm hoping I can get a fabricator friend of mine to build me a shackle for the rear. A front spacer is no big deal, but a custom shackle is questionable.

Well, here's a before picture, I will get some more pics of the truck on the ground after the wheels are powdercoated this weekend! Be Kind, I'm not into chrome!! just a couple days

#545686 - 07/12/05 05:01 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

one more - sorry about the blurriness

#545687 - 07/12/05 06:45 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why not just keep the stock wheels and toss 285/75R16's on it?

Never mind...I just went back and read your other post. [Huh?]

#545688 - 08/12/05 08:43 AM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

What are you doing with your stock rims?

#545689 - 08/12/05 09:16 AM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

what type of rims and tires are those?

#545690 - 08/12/05 01:15 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by kokopop:
What are you doing with your stock rims?
I dunno, why, you wanna buy em?

The wheels are American Racing something, honestly I have no idea. I think they're on the site, you can check it out AmericanRacing.com and check out the application guide they got quite a few of 'em.

#545691 - 08/12/05 01:28 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm guessing you aren't an offroader. Bling Bling wheels on an X just makes me wanna puke.

#545692 - 08/12/05 01:59 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
[b]What are you doing with your stock rims?
I dunno, why, you wanna buy em?
[/b]
I just sent you a PM.

#545693 - 08/12/05 02:33 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by RiNkY:
I'm guessing you aren't an offroader. Bling Bling wheels on an X just makes me wanna puke.
An offroader? Bro, I live in Northern VA - doesn't really matter what finish or material your wheels are just to hit the trails - it's all mud and dirt,not much rock. You're right though I don't do too much with my X - I have a couple quads that I usually use to 'wheel. But if you READ, I'm not too much on chrome either, and if you LOOK, those are All Terrain tires. To be honest, the stock wheels on the Xterra (S, at least) make me wanna puke. I had a Tahoe for several years with a 9 inches of lift and 37s with 20 inch wheels, and that did just fine off road here in VA. Read before you post bro.

#545694 - 08/12/05 04:16 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

Didn't need to read - I saw the picture and hated the look of the X with bling bling wheels! Why is reading required!!! smile

Chill Bro.

#545695 - 08/12/05 04:22 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Didn't need to read - I saw the picture and hated the look of the X with bling bling wheels! Why is reading required!!! smile

Chill Bro.
Dude, you're a dick. how about something constructive. Your gag reflex is hardly helpful.

#545696 - 08/12/05 04:23 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I will get some more pics of the truck on the ground after the wheels are powdercoated this weekend! Be Kind, I'm not into chrome!! just a couple days
Thats why you need to read!

#545697 - 08/12/05 04:24 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by gilsnuxs:
Quote:
[b]I will get some more pics of the truck on the ground after the wheels are powdercoated this weekend! Be Kind, I'm not into chrome!! just a couple days
Thats why you need to read![/b]
thank you!

#545698 - 08/12/05 04:28 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

If words could hurt, this is what most peeps would look like on XOC

#545699 - 08/12/05 04:34 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

thats a big picture

#545700 - 08/12/05 06:05 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

until something happens with the suspension and articulation why add 1 - 1 1/2 inches of tire? I think Bling Bling on an Xterra is just fine...lets face it, In stock form, an Xterra isnt going to be used for serious off-roading. I guess tuners have two dirrections they can go... Jeep wanna-be or Esculade pimp mobile.

#545701 - 08/12/05 06:18 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
[b]I'm guessing you aren't an offroader. Bling Bling wheels on an X just makes me wanna puke.
An offroader? Bro, I live in Northern VA - doesn't really matter what finish or material your wheels are just to hit the trails - it's all mud and dirt,not much rock. You're right though I don't do too much with my X - I have a couple quads that I usually use to 'wheel. But if you READ, I'm not too much on chrome either, and if you LOOK, those are All Terrain tires. To be honest, the stock wheels on the Xterra (S, at least) make me wanna puke. I had a Tahoe for several years with a 9 inches of lift and 37s with 20 inch wheels, and that did just fine off road here in VA. Read before you post bro.[/b]
Dude just wondering if you'd be interseted or not but check out www.vaxc.org and come out and join us. We have a winter run at GWNF in Feb.

#545702 - 08/12/05 06:26 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]I'm guessing you aren't an offroader. Bling Bling wheels on an X just makes me wanna puke.
An offroader? Bro, I live in Northern VA - doesn't really matter what finish or material your wheels are just to hit the trails - it's all mud and dirt,not much rock. You're right though I don't do too much with my X - I have a couple quads that I usually use to 'wheel. But if you READ, I'm not too much on chrome either, and if you LOOK, those are All Terrain tires. To be honest, the stock wheels on the Xterra (S, at least) make me wanna puke. I had a Tahoe for several years with a 9 inches of lift and 37s with 20 inch wheels, and that did just fine off road here in VA. Read before you post bro.[/b]
Dude just wondering if you'd be interseted or not but check out www.vaxc.org and come out and join us. We have a winter run at GWNF in Feb.[/b]
Dan, I'm already over there - same username

#545703 - 08/12/05 07:29 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by half fast:
...lets face it, In stock form, an Xterra isnt going to be used for serious off-roading...

I beg to differ laugh

#545704 - 08/12/05 07:38 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey dude you really need to get out more!! That one above is Hells Gate in Moab (he has taken his into many hardcore trails). It all comes down to what are you willing to do. If you are not willing to go hardcore than you are "Escalade pimp mobile" per your quote. If you are willing to try then you will be astounded where you can go in stock form.

I have seen 05s go where many "hardcore" people I know will not go. It is all up to you and your driving ability [Smoking] .

#545705 - 08/12/05 08:15 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Alpine Spirit:
Hey dude you really need to get out more!! That one above is Hells Gate in Moab (he has taken his into many hardcore trails). It all comes down to what are you willing to do. If you are not willing to go hardcore than you are "Escalade pimp mobile" per your quote. If you are willing to try then you will be astounded where you can go in stock form.

I have seen 05s go where many "hardcore" people I know will not go. It is all up to you and your driving ability [Smoking] .
Ehh, I know where you're coming from dude, but, it's not ALL up to you and your driving ability. Let's face it, Calmini isn't going to charge 3 grand for a lift all for the guys that just don't have the maneuvering skills. Yes, the stock X is sufficient for many spots, but you guys are getting way too far off topic. If I wanted to go with "bling" I would've put some big wheels on it and lower profile tires. I did go up in tire size to what I feel is reasonable for the stock height. If there was a lift available, I would've bought bigger tires. I don't think my choice in wheels is affecting my ability on the trail. Hell, if I wanted something to do some SERIOUS off-roading, I certainly wouldn't have bought an '05 X, a vehicle with virtually no aftermarket support.

#545706 - 08/12/05 10:57 PM Re: lift options
fastdrmr Offline

Quote:
[QUOTE]I certainly wouldn't have bought an '05 X, a vehicle with virtually no aftermarket support.
Give it some time, the X has only been out for 10 months. If that was a big deal to you maybe a Jeep, oops Heep, would have been the ticket.

The X will go places people are scared to take it!

#545707 - 09/12/05 09:07 AM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
quote:
Dude just wondering if you'd be interseted or not but check out www.vaxc.org and come out and join us. We have a winter run at GWNF in Feb.[/b]
Dan, I'm already over there - same username
My bad dude.
frown

#545708 - 09/12/05 09:22 AM Re: lift options
TJ Offline

A SL alone won't change the max tire size off road, as it will still rub under compression...you also need a BL...bumpstop extensions would work, but rob uptravel.

Daystar HAS lift kits for '05+'s, a front only, and a front + rear kit.

You can order them from Quadratec for example.

laugh

Part#'s:

front only PN# KN09106bk,

and

a complete front and rear PN# KN09105bk.

laugh

Enjoy!

[Wave]

#545709 - 09/12/05 09:29 AM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

TJ, a spacer lift doesnt add wheel travel, so wouldnt it allow 33s to compress without rubbing?

#545710 - 09/12/05 09:37 AM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

As for a lift I think it all depends on design, if designed right you still can clear the tires and have your travel. But since no one has a production 05 kit we can look at and evaluate we will have to wait.

#545711 - 09/12/05 09:37 AM Re: lift options
TJ Offline

laugh

Probably...depending upon if the spring compression was the limiting uptravel factor.

If the compression of the spring was the limiting factor, then a longer coil would have the same limitation, and the uptravel in reality would be possibly even more limited by a larger coil, etc.

A BL would be the only way to allow the larger tire the room to stuff...if it hits some other limit on the way up, then that thing becomes the limiting factor.

Essentially, if the compressed coil becomes a bumpstop, you already lost the uptravel the same as if you had installed a urothane stop, etc.

laugh

#545712 - 09/12/05 09:51 AM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
It is all up to you and your driving ability [Smoking] .
and the size of your BALLS!! laugh

#545713 - 09/12/05 10:18 AM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
[b] It is all up to you and your driving ability [Smoking] .
and the size of your BALLS!! laugh [/b]
and your disregard for sheet metal.

It irks me that toyotas have lifts 4 months after they unveiled the new trucks and 4 runners though. I would only be the kind of guy who wants 2 inches to fit the next bigger tire size.. not hard core offroading- just a little upgrade in capability. stuff will come out in time.

#545714 - 09/12/05 11:44 AM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

I guess the question is, did the new 4Runner lift have to me completly redesigned or did they just adapt what was already designed? R&D and fabrication takes time and you only start your R&D and fabrication once you have one of the new models in your posession.

#545715 - 09/12/05 12:39 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

The 4runner doesn't come with a rear locking diff or a 6 speed.

#545716 - 14/12/05 02:52 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

how much did those things cost (the rims and tires a couple pages back?)

#545717 - 14/12/05 04:06 PM Re: lift options
fastdrmr Offline

funny part is he hasn't spent much time around here... its the not front that is limiting (lifted or not), its the rear drivers side that will give him fits... he'll figure that out. sorry if i am hijacking the topic back to his original pix

#545718 - 14/12/05 04:27 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
funny part is he hasn't spent much time around here... its the not front that is limiting (lifted or not), its the rear drivers side that will give him fits... he'll figure that out. sorry if i am hijacking the topic back to his original pix
Nah I'm cool I know about the fitment issues with the rear. I didn't go back and read this whole thread over again, but did you chime in with that information earlier when the questions were at hand? Just curious. And I'm straight with my wheel and tire selection, no problems so far, and once the lift is on we're back to test fitting more tire sizes. Thanks for letting them know about me and mine though dude.
I don't get how so many people know so much about the '05 and the path of modding, when so few have actually traveled down that road. I mean, I understand somebody already has 32.8s, a Daystar lift, an experimental performance part of somekind,etc. But these few people that have done these things to there Xterra are not providing the definitive answer to all of our questions and concerns. I would like to see more people just lay down the money, buy something and try it out. I mean I hear alot of talk about "I'm waiting for this lift or that lift, these are better because I said so" Well no shit they're better, their gonna cost 5 grand. Dude, all I'm saying is, 300 bucks, a couple hours drinkin with the buddies, and test fitting some tires and possibly hacking away at some sheetmetal is not such a bad thing. And it certainly doesn't eliminate the option of going bigger or better or whatever in the future. But all these aftermarket providers are sketchy enough in the details with their products that it's just time to do something. I mean a year from now when the Calmini lift finally drops, fine, I'll order it up, but until then, somebody do SOMETHING, and start modding this shit. enough with the waiting. Man up.

#545719 - 14/12/05 04:38 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

sorry for the rant - it's been a long day

#545720 - 14/12/05 06:21 PM Re: lift options
Anonymous
Unregistered

thank you for finally saying it!

#545721 - 14/12/05 09:09 PM Re: lift options
fastdrmr Offline

Put it this way, I am testing my X and the stuffage problem in the rear is real. I can take some pix of my wheel well for you. Will the lift fix the problem, doubt it since the articulation will continue to stuff the tire back to the same spot.

I was checking out your pix about what you were doing again, hence the post... plus spent the weekend in Moab and found that the front end skirt doesn't limit us long term... its the rear.

BTW - yes, patiently waiting for a lift and willing to test once its available.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal