2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#54920 - 03/07/01 07:48 PM The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
ned946 Offline

I wasn't told to keep hush, hush, so I think its okay.

Ned, I hope this works for you. More detail to follow on the site. Steve
Kramer, CALMINI.
http://www.purenissan.com/swing_away_rear_bumper.htm

------------------

#54921 - 03/07/01 08:20 PM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
rjm022 Offline

Loc: york
class two receiver! that will keep me away!

------------------

#54922 - 03/07/01 08:22 PM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
rrdstarr Offline

Loc: Tacoma
It's made more for four wheeling then it is for pulling your boat! Buy a class III hitch if that is what you need. Looks like a good full coverage design!

------------------
Solar Yellow 2001 XE
3 pack, 5 spd,
PNWX member

-Rick

#54923 - 03/07/01 08:29 PM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
Mosi Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
I really like it!.. time to save more pennies!

------------------
2000 Silver Ice 4x4, SE
ARB Bullbar & air locker, 32" BFG Mud Terrains
PNWX webmaster
www.pnwx.net

#54924 - 03/07/01 08:41 PM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
Big Daddy Chia Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
I wonder if they can do one with out the hitch. Time to save some more money.

------------------
Scott "Chia" Holland
SWXC Member #42
"Yes its true more vinyl decals more horsepower"

#54925 - 03/07/01 08:44 PM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by Chia:
I wonder if they can do one with out the hitch.

Why ? Think of it as a bonus. If you don't need it, don't use it. It doesn't get in the way.

------------------
Regards,
Ian

#54926 - 03/07/01 08:49 PM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
Big Daddy Chia Offline

so basically i will have 2 hitches. i guess it could be a bonus pull 2 things at once.

------------------
Scott "Chia" Holland
SWXC Member #42

#54927 - 03/07/01 09:25 PM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
ned946 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Chia:
so basically i will have 2 hitches. i guess it could be a bonus pull 2 things at once.

Why would you bother to increase you departure angle by relocating the tire and leave the hitch to drag????

------------------

#54928 - 03/07/01 09:35 PM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
MeWantSnow! Offline

Loc: Sparta, NJ
Anyone know what a class 2 receiver is rated to tow?

------------------
Member MAXC, NEXTerra
http://www.xtremexterra.com

#54929 - 03/07/01 09:39 PM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
MeWantSnow! Offline

Loc: Sparta, NJ
Quote:
Originally posted by ned946:

Why would you bother to increase you departure angle by relocating the tire and leave the hitch to drag????

My answer would be to tow something!!

Also, the hitch can most likely take more abuse than the spare tire.

------------------
Member MAXC, NEXTerra
http://www.xtremexterra.com

#54930 - 03/07/01 10:38 PM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
Snoopy Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Anyone else think it's a bit ugly?
I've been waiting for a rear tire carrier solution ever since I saw my first Xterra but this seems to come a bit short of my expectations. Is there any way to keep the factory plastic pieces on the ends of the bumper (like KMA design). Would this knock the price down a bit? For me the solution is in Calmini craftmanship with the KMA design (using the exsisting plastic bumper ends).

------------------
Snoopy , our '00 Cloud White SE, 4x4, 5SP

#54931 - 03/07/01 10:40 PM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
Craigs_Tonka Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by MeWantSnow!:
Anyone know what a class 2 receiver is rated to tow?
According to their description the class 2 is rated at 3,000 lbs.

------------------
My wife calls it the "Intrepid Bee", I call it "Tonka".
craigs-tonka@home.com
www.azxterraclub.com

#54932 - 03/07/01 10:46 PM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
SpartanWing Offline

Loc: Northern DFW, TX
Where's the license plate go?

Just wondering.

------------------
Mark

#54933 - 03/07/01 10:55 PM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
Chris Mc Offline

Loc: St Charles, MO
Quote:
Originally posted by Craigs_Tonka:
[BAccording to their description the class 2 is rated at 3,000 lbs.
[/B]

That's a little less than an X... no good in my book.

------------------
blah!

#54934 - 03/07/01 10:57 PM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
livinx Offline

Loc: Derry,NH
Why would you want to keep the plastic pieces. They're just another part that can break out on the trail. I like the idea of a full plate steel bumper on both the front and back. It looks good IMO and provides a much higher level of protection. I'm already saving my pennies for both the Calmini front and rear bumpers.

------------------
2000 Silver XE V6 4WD 5spd 3pak
"Sleep those little slices of death, how I loath them"
http://home.earthlink.net/~livinx

#54935 - 03/07/01 10:59 PM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
OK, I already explained in detail the shortfalls of this highly anticipated bumper on the other boards, but basically, I would be weary of using a bumper rated to only tow 3000 lbs as a recovery point for a truck that weighs well over 4000 lbs whenm loaded! It looks pretty, but I'm a bit let down on the wimpy factor and would wait to see what Skid Row will offer. I suspect the Skid Row bumper will have the nice finish work of the Calmini and the strength of the KMA.

I'm also really disappointed that Calmini didn't make the corner pieces replaceable or use the existing plastic pieces. One tree or rock mishap and it has to be repaired or the whole bumper replaced!

I offer my comments because I have spent the past year designing rear bumpers, talking to people, and, uh, cleaning up the mess KMA sent me. I have spent a lot of time in the tow place and can tell you all that Schlud's KMA with extended inserts and 12 bolt installation is about as strong as we will ever see. I bet Calmini is only bolting to the side of the C section of the frame using the factory bumper mounts. Before you buy, ask questions!

Rrdstarr: keep in mind that if the Calmini does indeed use the hitch attachement points on the frame (unlikely with the 3000 lb limit, but...), attaching another hitch receiver may be difficult or impossible. I'm happy that Calmini came up with something that looks nice, but after all this wait, I'm a bit disappointed in the capabilities.

------------------
ChuckH
2000 SE 4x4, Aztec Red

[This message has been edited by ChuckH (edited 07-04-2001).]

#54936 - 03/07/01 11:05 PM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
Snoopy Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Quote:
Originally posted by livinx:
Why would you want to keep the plastic pieces. They're just another part that can break out on the trail.

I like the plastic pieces. You back into something and just pop them out or replace them for the $27.21 that it costs for a new on at www.XterraParts.com I don't imagine the Calmini bumper would fair the same kind of cheap replacement costs...

------------------
Snoopy , our '00 Cloud White SE, 4x4, 5SP

#54937 - 03/07/01 11:26 PM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by livinx:
Why would you want to keep the plastic pieces. They're just another part that can break out on the trail. I like the idea of a full plate steel bumper on both the front and back. It looks good IMO and provides a much higher level of protection. I'm already saving my pennies for both the Calmini front and rear bumpers.

Yeah, but just imagine if you back into a rock on the corner pieces. With the Calmini, the steel would bend and probably dent the bodywork underneath. Then, you'd have to have the bodywork fixed and fis or replace the whole Calmini bumper. In contrast, a mishap with the platic piece results in a bashed plastic piece that costs $30 or so and pops on in the matter of a few minutes!

------------------
ChuckH
2000 SE 4x4, Aztec Red

#54938 - 04/07/01 01:39 AM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
livinx Offline

Loc: Derry,NH
I could be wrong, but my understandong is this bumper is made of 3/16" plate steel. You would have to bump into a hell of a rock in order to bend it. I think the same sort of collision with the plastic piece would not only trash the plastic, but also damage the body. But hey each to his own. If everbody did the same thing to their X's it would be pretty boring.

------------------
2000 Silver XE V6 4WD 5spd 3pak
"Sleep those little slices of death, how I loath them"
http://home.earthlink.net/~livinx

#54939 - 04/07/01 02:58 AM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckH:
I would be weary of using a bumper rated to only tow 3000 lbs as a recovery point for a truck that weighs well over 4000 lbs whenm loaded!

I'm also really disappointed that Calmini didn't make the corner pieces replaceable or use the existing plastic pieces. One tree or rock mishap and it has to be repaired or the whole bumper replaced!

A couple points here that people tend to forget. The Xterra "weighs" 4000 lbs. That's when you lift it vertically. When you are pulling it, you have tires to roll on, and it weighs only a fraction.

The factory tow hook can easily handle the weight of the vehicle, and it's only attached to one side of the frame.

The reason the corner pieces were not retained, is due to the damage you can do to your body. Look underneath the plastic corners sometime. There is painted sheet metal body there, that goes all the way to the bottom. My sheet metal is bent on both sides from obstacle departure dragging.
I would much rather have 3/16" steel down there than plastic.

Steve did mention to me that the bumper will probably be 3 pieces, made up of the cross section and the corners, to aid in shipping.

As for replacing a bumper, that's asthetic. A bumper like this, or an ARB is designed to handle damage, and shouldn't be "replaced" if you back into a tree and dent it.

------------------
Regards,
Ian

#54940 - 04/07/01 04:15 AM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
Xrugger Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
A couple points here that people tend to forget. The Xterra "weighs" 4000 lbs. That's when you lift it vertically. When you are pulling it, you have tires to roll on, and it weighs only a fraction.

But hitches are rated at the actual weight of the trailer or object being towed. If you use it to tow another X at 4000 pounds your exceeding the capacity of the hitch. If your using it for recovery, yeah the the X is on wheels, but they probably aren't rolling freely or they are stuck in mud and therefore there is more resistance.

------------------
Joe
No Officer, I'm not naked. I'm wearing my Xterra.

#54941 - 04/07/01 06:45 AM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
ned946 Offline

I should note that this is a prototype and the final version will ship in 3 pieces.

I think Steve is interested in our comments and requests. I think that if there are issues, he would be receptive to these comments or at least give you his view on why something was done a certain way.

------------------

#54942 - 04/07/01 10:31 AM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
Big Daddy Chia Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ned946:

But ned my spare tire sits in my Con Ferr Basket right now, so it dont drag. My factory hitch is the only thing that drags. The only reason i wasn the cal mini bumper is so i have exta storage room in my basket and dont have to try to kill myself taking that big ass tire down.

------------------
Scott "Chia" Holland
SWXC Member #42

#54943 - 04/07/01 11:21 AM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
imacsae Offline

Loc: El Paso Tx.
In my opinion the bumper has potential. It is certainly strong but probably extremely heavy causing considerable sag in the rear. The built in hitch is very cool but why not do a class 3 receiver. The swing out carrier is great for off roading but in city driving I would like to be able to see out the rear. Also at 900 bucks it is a little steep although it is very functional. I would suggest to help those of us who have a hard time coming up with nearly a 1000 dollars at once or who don't want all the weight added to make it sectional and sell the corners and tire carrier as bolt on additions. I personally would just want the bumper and maybe the corners with the hitch for now adding the tire carrier later. If you could sell it in sections as well as in the full package I would be willing to get it.

------------------
Were in the spirit world a$$hole they can't see us.
'01 super black XE 4x4
name: VADERX

#54944 - 04/07/01 11:59 AM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
Richard Krenn Offline

Loc: Mount Vernon, WA, USA
Ned, how about a description of how it is attached to the X and some pictures.

Richard

------------------

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal