Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 162 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#552855 - 27/10/05 05:28 PM Pressure sensor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Did a search and looked through the manual...

My low pressure warning light is lit. Checked pressure in all tires and all is well. What do I need to do to get it to go out?

#552856 - 27/10/05 05:44 PM Re: Pressure sensor
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you have enough air in each tire then it will go out on it's own after a few miles...
If it does not go out then take it to the dealership...

#552857 - 27/10/05 05:50 PM Re: Pressure sensor
Anonymous
Unregistered

It turns on at 28psi and rumor has it that if any one tire is not equal to the pressure of the rest the light will go on. There are a few threads on this that explain it in detail and one posted sections out of the manual about it.

#552858 - 27/10/05 05:55 PM Re: Pressure sensor
Anonymous
Unregistered

All tires had 35PSI in them minimum. It came on after the first cold night and has been on ever since. I pushed the pressure up on all to 37 or so, but it's still lit. Time for a trip to the dealer I suppose... I'd rather have no system at all then have a flaky one that I can't trust.

#552859 - 27/10/05 06:06 PM Re: Pressure sensor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Are you checking the tires when cold or hot?

Also, it does take a few miles before it turns off.

#552860 - 27/10/05 10:43 PM Re: Pressure sensor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Actually, the system probably detects flats by comparing rotation of the wheels detected by the ABS.. not by sensing pressure. The dealer might be able to reset it.. otherwise, you might have to take a *long* drive for the system to realize it's ok (I think my Scion manual said it took 40 minutes of travel before its system got a good baseline -- but.. at least it had a reset button!)

My roommate's Corolla has had the flat warning light since three weeks after he bought it (the reset button didn't work for him), and the dealer has looked at it twice, So.. GOOD LUCK!

-K

Edit: Just looked it up for myself.. it's really weird that the manual lists such a specific low pressure reading (28psi) that would activate the system, when the system has no sensors to detect the actual pressure! --Very misleading-- The original Hummer was the only vehicle, to my knowledge, that could actually detect (I think it could also adjust) the pressure in the tires. That would be killer.

#552861 - 28/10/05 05:49 AM Re: Pressure sensor
Anonymous
Unregistered

The 05-06 X has sensors in the wheels that detect pressure. They are mounted to the back side of the valve stem.

The Hummer also has sensors, and yes atleast the H1 could inflate and deflate the tires from inside the truck. I don't know if the H2 and H3 have the same system.

Do a search of this forum for "tire light" there are atleast two threads that have a lot of good information.

#552862 - 28/10/05 07:43 AM Re: Pressure sensor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Muzikman:
The 05-06 X has sensors in the wheels that detect pressure. They are mounted to the back side of the valve stem.

The Hummer also has sensors, and yes atleast the H1 could inflate and deflate the tires from inside the truck. I don't know if the H2 and H3 have the same system.

Do a search of this forum for "tire light" there are atleast two threads that have a lot of good information.
Hmm.. just because someone you read it somewhere doesn't mean it's good information. I call BS.

Okay, assuming there IS a sensor on the back of the valve stem, how does information get back to the computer? It ain't wireless! wink

You'd either have to have special rims for the system to work, or you'd have to diconnect some wires every time you change your wheels - and what would the wires look like after how many revolutions? You'd have to use brushes like in an electric motor to get the electrical signal past the fact that your wheels are rotating so much. Also, if the system compared actual pressures, it wouldn't take 'a few miles' to turn off.. it'd know immediately, don't you think? C'mon, think a little more critically about it, and it makes sense that this calculation is done based on rotation of the wheels.

-K

#552863 - 28/10/05 07:58 AM Re: Pressure sensor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Karlan:

Okay, assuming there IS a sensor on the back of the valve stem, how does information get back to the computer? It ain't wireless! wink

-K[/QB]
Actually, it IS wireless. Read the flyer, and see who they manufacture these for...

Brochure

#552864 - 28/10/05 08:03 AM Re: Pressure sensor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

The H1 could inflate/deflate. The H2 & H3 have "similar" looking hubs, but the don't have this feature.

Poser. wink

#552865 - 28/10/05 08:06 AM Re: Pressure sensor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by 2manytoyz:
Quote:
Originally posted by Karlan:

-K
Actually, it IS wireless. Read the flyer, and see who they manufacture these for...

Brochure [/QB]
Wow.. those are in our truck? I stand corrected! Sorry guys!

-K

#552866 - 28/10/05 08:31 AM Re: Pressure sensor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Don't call BS until you have read the Owners Manual or the Service Manual, or even 10 different threads talking about them smile

#552867 - 28/10/05 08:33 AM Re: Pressure sensor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:

The H1 could inflate/deflate. The H2 & H3 have "similar" looking hubs, but the don't have this feature.

Poser. wink
That was what I assumed, but you know what happens when you assume don't ya? wink

I think it is a cool idea, but is it really needed? I would settle for someone just giving me a decent place to mount a compressor and maybe even a small tank on the X.

#552868 - 28/10/05 09:12 AM Re: Pressure sensor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Don't call BS until you have read the Owners Manual or the Service Manual, or even 10 different threads talking about them smile
Yeah, yeah.. I seriously had no idea that the tech was there for this -- or that it would be affordable/practical for use in an average car.

I'm kinda mad that there isn't more up front information in the manual/from the dealer.. All it talks about is 'the system' -- I mean.. given the right scenario, people might be getting rid of their wheels, and unknowingly losing those pressure monitors! I'd be super pissed about that.

Anyway, thanks for being nice as dead wrong and rude as I was!

-K

#552869 - 28/10/05 09:41 AM Re: Pressure sensor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Some place in the Owners Manual it talks about why if you change to the spare tire the low pressure light comes on. This is because the spare does not have the sensor. So it's there, just not as clear as the big bold letters on the cover of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. laugh

#552870 - 28/10/05 09:59 AM Re: Pressure sensor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I think it is a cool idea, but is it really needed?
That's a good question...but it is mandated. The NHTSA has mandated a phase in of Tire Pressure Monitor Systems (TPMS) on all vehicles by September 1, 2007. There is a lot of push back by industry, but I think it is going forward. Here is a link with the details:

49 CFR Parts 571 and 585

regards,

#552871 - 28/10/05 10:44 AM Re: Pressure sensor
Anonymous
Unregistered

No, I was talking about the ability to inflate and deflate the tires from inside the truck, like in an H1. Not the tire monitor system.

#552872 - 29/10/05 07:27 PM Re: Pressure sensor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I think it is a cool idea, but is it really needed? I would settle for someone just giving me a decent place to mount a compressor and maybe even a small tank on the X.
On the H1 it is needed. When in the thick of battle, it would sure be nice to air down the tires when getting off the pavement, and someone it taking shots at you!

On your X, you can get yer lazy butt out, take your sweet time, and air down manually. There's even some nifty replacement valves that will air down your tires quickly: Linky.

If you buy an aftermarket rear bumper, with spare tire holder, that will free up room under your X to mount a 2 gallon airtank, and chassis mounted air compressor. wink

#552873 - 30/10/05 12:03 AM Re: Pressure sensor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Some place in the Owners Manual it talks about why if you change to the spare tire the low pressure light comes on. This is because the spare does not have the sensor. So it's there, just not as clear as the big bold letters on the cover of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. laugh
not so sure that is true. i had to put my spare on and the tire pressure light did not come on. (actually, it did after about an hour of hwy driving, stayed on for 20min and then went off until the dealer fixed the flat tire. probably went on due to difference in tire pressure) my guess is that there is a sensor on the full spare. not sure of the spares on the s models though...

#552874 - 30/10/05 10:51 AM Re: Pressure sensor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by JayZ:
Quote:
[b]Some place in the Owners Manual it talks about why if you change to the spare tire the low pressure light comes on. This is because the spare does not have the sensor. So it's there, just not as clear as the big bold letters on the cover of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. laugh
not so sure that is true. i had to put my spare on and the tire pressure light did not come on. (actually, it did after about an hour of hwy driving, stayed on for 20min and then went off until the dealer fixed the flat tire. probably went on due to difference in tire pressure) my guess is that there is a sensor on the full spare. not sure of the spares on the s models though...[/b]
I just went and checked (in my new, enlightened state of mind wink ) and my spare has a normal, rubber stem.. this is not consistent with the other four wheels, and the Schrader Electronics model sensor that was listed earlier in this thread. I'm guessing the car was picking up a signal from the flat.. but hey -- I've been wrong before! [Too much XOC]

-K

#552875 - 30/10/05 10:57 AM Re: Pressure sensor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Owners Manual (Section 8-30)

TIRE PRESSURE
Low tire pressure warning system (if
so equipped)
This vehicle is equipped with the low tire pressure
warning system. It monitors tire pressure of
all tires except the spare. When the tire pressure
monitoring system warning light is lit, one or more
of your tires is significantly underinflated.
The low tire pressure warning system will activate
only when the vehicle is driven at speeds above
20 MPH (32 km/h). Also, this system may not
detect a sudden drop in tire pressure (for example
a flat tire while driving).
For more details, refer to “Low tire pressure warning
light” in the “Instruments and controls” section,
”Tire pressure information” in the “Display
screen, heater, air conditioner and audio systems
” section, “Low tire pressure warning system
” in the “Starting and driving” section, and
“Flat tire” in the “In case of emergency” section.

#552876 - 30/10/05 03:13 PM Re: Pressure sensor
Anonymous
Unregistered

what I'd like to know is when I decide to replace my OEM tires (soon), is that guy in the tire shop going to mangle my flat tire sensors with his machine while replacing my tires?...

#552877 - 30/10/05 03:25 PM Re: Pressure sensor
Anonymous
Unregistered

They shouldn't but if they do, it's on them to replace what they break.

#552878 - 31/10/05 07:46 PM Re: Pressure sensor
Anonymous
Unregistered

in response to some of the replies stating that they thought it was the type of system that compares wheel revolutions for readings. that is not the case with the nissan sensors. the sensors are actually pressure sensor units on the valve stem, not the cheaper tire system like the ABS one mentioned. I had the dealer confirm this with a manual and a dealer hand out. the bad thing about the ABS versions aside from just cutting cost corners for manufacturers is that in a long corner the wheels rotate at different speeds. thus the one side of tires may seem smaller since the inner side makes more revolutions. thus the computer thinks flats are in the works and flags it. and thus pissing owners off and making them rather not have it in the first place. hope that helps people.

#552879 - 31/10/05 08:06 PM Re: Pressure sensor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
[QB]
Quote:

On the H1 it is needed. When in the thick of battle, it would sure be nice to air down the tires when getting off the pavement, and someone it taking shots at you!
well i gotta remark, i never found that button on all the humvees and uparmoreds i drove...of course we managed to get them stuck every other time we went out, so we probably had alot of stuff we didn't know about..

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal