Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#570545 - 22/02/02 06:03 AM Re: Whew
Cygnus-X1 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Quote:
honestly i've said it before 5mph over rocks is not as appealing to me as 50mph over a desert trail...
Then you way bought the wrong vehicle. What part of the X said to you "Buy me, I'm a desert racer in waiting". The X has about as much in common with a desert racer as say, oh...my Camry. Look out Mojave, here I come.
:rolleyes:

#570546 - 22/02/02 06:52 AM Re: Whew
Matt Peckham Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
It's the chairlift commercial.

#570547 - 22/02/02 08:39 AM Re: Whew
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Quote:
Originally posted by Todrick:
[b]bummed that you hit a jump at 50mph and the landing was so harsh you broke major steering/suspension components?
And your stock Xterra is somehow stronger than mine ?

I think Nissan puts the same components on all of the Xterras that come out of Smyrna.

You've lost me again... [Freak] [/b]
you have a stock x?

i wasn't talking stock xterras

#570548 - 22/02/02 08:42 AM Re: Whew
Todrick Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Peckham:
[QB]me thinks Todrick is smoking a little too much of the wacky tabacky rolled in issues of OFF-ROAD magazine.

When you design a long travel front end, let us know. When you install whatever SLR has going, let us know. But when it's "One day, my prince will come...." you are still less capable than a 4x4...QB]
wow, your a genious of coarse a 4x2 is less capable... i've never said other wise... i have just said it is more capable then it gets credit for, and that a 4x4 built with 10k for trails will not be as good a trail machine as a 4x2 built with 10k for desert travel is a desert travel

the debate is about why anyone would buy a 4x2... the answer is because in some cases it makes more sense... sorry that there is a bigger group of people who want to drive slow in the mountaisn than there is people driving fast in the desert, but thats the reason more companies dont make prerunner kits and the reason that SLR will be the first with a long travel kit(if it ever does come out)

#570549 - 22/02/02 08:51 AM Re: Whew
Todrick Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Cygnus-X1:
Quote:
[b]honestly i've said it before 5mph over rocks is not as appealing to me as 50mph over a desert trail...
Then you way bought the wrong vehicle. What part of the X said to you "Buy me, I'm a desert racer in waiting". The X has about as much in common with a desert racer as say, oh...my Camry. Look out Mojave, here I come.
:rolleyes: [/b]
so you've never seen frontiers built out as pre-runners?

i have two kids so during the week a frontier or any pick up would not have been a good choice... there are comprimises in life when you have kids... that and i just loved the style of the X

maybe the other thing is that, im in Huntington Beach California, the ratio of "off-road" trucks i see in any given day works something like this:

15%-Pre-runner Trucks
5%-pre-runner SUV's
15%-Built Jeeps
10%-Built Trucks(others)
5%-Built SUV's
50%-Posuer full size ford and chevy's with >9" of
lift and >35" tires with tons of chrome

so maybe its just, others lack of exposure to Pre-runners... i think huntington beach has more than most(except maybe riverside) with two of the more well know names in pre-runner/desert racing making their homes here, Terrible Herbst and Camburg.

#570550 - 22/02/02 09:07 AM Re: Whew
TravelingFool Offline

Loc: Prior Lake, MN
All I know is, there are about 15 days every winter that you coudn't even make it up my driveway with a 4x2.

I completely understand people in New Orleans, Florida, Houston, buying a 4x2. They'll still walk across most logging roads to go camping with some kayaks on the roof and all is well, plus you saved yourself some money..

Its the folks who "save money" on a 4x2 only to put $2,500 worth of mods on them to make them more offroad worthy that baffle me. I'll never understand it.

The liver is evil, and must be punished...

#570551 - 22/02/02 09:10 AM Re: Whew
Todrick Offline

i understand... im in so cal so really i only need 4x4 if i choose to need it...

but as for saving money only to modify it...

why did you buy the x... wasn't it at least in part because of the price... and if so how much moeny you think your gonna put into it modifying it?

smile

#570552 - 22/02/02 09:27 AM Re: Whew
nolarocks Offline

Loc: New Orleans
PNUTMNM,

I think you are on to MY point. I bought want I wanted and needed.

I am just a bit surprised that so many resort to bashing. I would think this is an all model Xterra friendly board based on the Home Page Statement. YIKES! :rolleyes:

If I wanted a 4X4, I would probably get something different anyway....like a Jeep or something.

My offroading is accomplished on a dirt bike. No creeping over trails for me!!! laugh

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step" - The C man

I also have some waterfront property for sale on the lakefront in Louisiana!! (NOLA) Just kidding

#570553 - 22/02/02 10:29 AM Re: Whew
Matt Peckham Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Quote:
wow, your a genious of coarse a 4x2 is less capable... i've never said other wise... i have just said it is more capable then it gets credit for, and that a 4x4 built with 10k for trails will not be as good a trail machine as a 4x2 built with 10k for desert travel is a desert travel

the debate is about why anyone would buy a 4x2... the answer is because in some cases it makes more sense... sorry that there is a bigger group of people who want to drive slow in the mountaisn than there is people driving fast in the desert, but thats the reason more companies dont make prerunner kits and the reason that SLR will be the first with a long travel kit(if it ever does come out)
there's a debate?

I thought it was just about simple math. 2+2=4.

If you have 4 wheels, why not use all of them?

You really should contact OFF-ROAD and talk them into working with you on a project vehicle. They'd probably buy into that. They'd get to create a crazy Xterra, with fiberglass fenders, a 200watt sound system and some fat (not phat) wheels. Don't get me wrong, I am a subscriber, but I think you need to stop saying someday, my prince will come" and go out and start picking up guys, it's faster. [Uh Oh !]

#570554 - 22/02/02 10:30 AM Re: Whew
Cygnus-X1 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by nolarocks:

I am just a bit surprised that so many resort to bashing. I would think this is an all model Xterra friendly board based on the Home Page Statement. YIKES! :rolleyes:

Where's the bashing in stating that Todrick's 4x2 is not as capable as a 4x4. Where the bashing in stating that nothing about 4x2 X says "I'm a desert runner as much as your 4x4 is an off-roader". You buy a stock 4x4 Xterra and you're buying a capabale 4x4. You buy a stock 4x2 and you're defintiely not buying a capable desert racer.

Todrick proclaimed that the people who own 4x4's are ignorant and biased towards this whole pre-runner/desert racer concept. Call it what you want, but nowhere is the X advertised as or meant to be a desert racer in the first place. Where's the option to buy the desert racer package?

Talking about racing the X in the desert is like me getting on the bass fishing board and wondering why there isn't any interest in turning my 12hp jon boat into a cigarette boat. Maybe because that's not what it was meant to do to begin with.

There's no bashing, it's just kinda the way it is.

#570555 - 22/02/02 10:47 AM Re: Whew
Todrick Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Cygnus-X1:

Where's the bashing in stating that Todrick's 4x2 is not as capable as a 4x4.

there is none, i agree with that point

Where the bashing in stating that nothing about 4x2 X says "I'm a desert runner as much as your 4x4 is an off-roader". You buy a stock 4x4 Xterra and you're buying a capabale 4x4. You buy a stock 4x2 and you're defintiely not buying a capable desert racer.

you buy a stock 4x4 you have a decent off-roader... but if stock was good enough why are so many people modifying their trucks

Todrick proclaimed that the people who own 4x4's are ignorant and biased towards this whole pre-runner/desert racer concept.

sadly this debate is currently in 4 threads and it started about there being very few 4x2's on this board and those of us that are here suspected it was because of the obvious bias against 4x2's by SOME of the 4x4 members... it had nothing to do with modifying my truck

Call it what you want, but nowhere is the X advertised as or meant to be a desert racer in the first place. Where's the option to buy the desert racer package?

"Chairlift" definately depicts the x in sand... but no, to my knowledge no 4x2 has has ever been in a commercial... thats because they run the top of the line model in all comercials. always.

that aside where is the option to buy a true "enthusiast package" with solid axle, 3" lift, lockers, manual hubs?

it doesn't exist... why? liability/reliability issues... and demand

Talking about racing the X in the desert is like me getting on the bass fishing board...

so stop talking about it... i have repeated over and over:

I AM NOT GOING TO RACE MY TRUCK

just like you are not going to be entering any rockcrawling championships

There's no bashing, it's just kinda the way it is.
that would be true if there was no bashing... it IS definately the way it is

#570556 - 22/02/02 11:07 AM Re: Whew
Cygnus-X1 Offline

Quote:
just like you are not going to be entering any rockcrawling championships
Rockcrawling no. Off-road events, yes. Something
the 4wd X was built to do.

All I'm saying is that if the X were built/sold/marketed as a pre-runner, with pre-runner options, you'd probably have more people talking about it. The X is sold with 4wd, therefore you have a lot people here in XOC naturally talking about off-roading. Off-roading and having 4wd go hand in hand. Anyway, I'm not trying to argue with you, rather just explain why there is so much 4x4 off-road talk within XOC. It's a major part of the whole Xterra concept.

#570557 - 22/02/02 11:19 AM Re: Whew
Todrick Offline

i cant take it anymore

please see my post here

#570558 - 22/02/02 11:37 AM Re: Whew
huevos Offline

Loc: Burbank, SoCal
Let me get in a few words here, I own a 4x2 and enjoy the f*@k out of it Off/On road. If the trail gets too hard for the X I simply unload the KX 250 and away I go:) [Laughing] probably pass a few 4x4's on the way:P..anyways this is rediculous(spelling) if somebody in a 4x2 wants to lift their X, why not its their truck their making the payments on it not some 4x4:freak:that is questioning his motifs. I'll be putting in the shackels in back and cranking the torsion bars next week. [Wave] We all have Xterra's and that is why I'm here..."can't we all just get along" [Too much XOC]

#570559 - 22/02/02 11:42 AM Re: Whew
lemsip Offline

Loc: Lakewood, CO
Quote:
... but honestly i've said it before 5mph over rocks is not as appealing to me as 50mph over a desert trail... im just a type T personality like that laugh
Wouldn't that by Type R ?

#570560 - 22/02/02 12:05 PM Re: Whew
GrayHam Offline

Quote:
Ughh.....why do you guys wanna be so, "mine is better than yours".
Bully syndrome. [Freak]

They get tired of being picked on and beaten up by the bigger kids (Land Rovers, Jeeps, etc . . .), so they find the nearest little kid (in their eyes) and start bullying him. Makes 'em feel big.

Ah well, I like my truck. Of course, when it comes time to do any real off-roading (if I ever get back into it), I'll buy a nice, decent, road-worthy old CJ, and beat the shit out of it.
The Xterra stays on the road for the next little while . . . .

#570561 - 22/02/02 12:11 PM Re: Whew
Schludwiller Offline

Loc: Redmond,WA
Quote:
Originally posted by xterra_canuck:
Quote:
[qb]Ughh.....why do you guys wanna be so, "mine is better than yours".
Bully syndrome. [Freak]

They get tired of being picked on and beaten up by the bigger kids (Land Rovers, Jeeps, etc . . .), so they find the nearest little kid (in their eyes) and start bullying him. Makes 'em feel big.

QB]
Nope. I'm smart enough to sit and watch the big dogs climb their modified rigs over obstacles I have to drive around. I would be pretty dillusional to start telling them how my 4x4 is as capable as theirs.

And you know what. Once they see I'm not carrying an attitude, and look at the trail I just made it up in my SUV we get to having a normal conversation about our rigs, trails we should check out and sharing our common interest.

#570562 - 22/02/02 12:18 PM Re: Whew
GrayHam Offline

NOTE: Just an enquiry, not a quest for flames . . . .

Ian has said more than once that he wishes all XOCers, who do not own an Xterra, would stop posting to the Xterra Owner's Club.

I believe Ian owns a 4x4, not a 4x2.

Maybe the 4x4 people should stop posting in the 2wd forum?

Although, I do so enjoy seeing Ian come where he knows he's going to disagree with someone, then getting all pissed off because the 2wd pepole (Todrick) tell him to take a hike . . . kinda nauseating in its frequency, actually . . . :rolleyes:

Just asking a question, all I'm doin' here . . .

#570563 - 22/02/02 12:55 PM Re: Whew
LAXterra Offline

Loc: West Los Angeles, CA
Someone stop the madness. [Freak]

If you are in this thread to talk about the 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate please take it to here:
4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)

Thank you... this has been a test of the emerency broadcast system. [Too much XOC]

Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

#570564 - 22/02/02 01:23 PM Re: Whew
Todrick Offline

LAX has a good point

--locked---

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal