Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 234 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#570974 - 22/09/01 06:54 AM Is there a locker for the 2wd - to lock both rear wheels?
Rancher Offline

Loc: La.
Im not sure but doesnt just one tire pull in the rear of a 2wd?? If so, do they make something, so that both wheels will pull together and if so, could this have a negative effect on the vehicle?? confused

#570975 - 22/09/01 07:01 AM Re: Is there a locker for the 2wd - to lock both rear wheels?
Jackel Offline

Loc: Glendale, AZ, USA
ARB makes a air locker that will work in the rear. The only negative effect would be it would void the waranty on the rear end. I have a 2WD and I simply took my LSD out and welded it solid like you used to do in the old days with muscle cars. The negative to that is driving on the streets it really wears out the right rear tire. It would really help out a 2WD to get a rear locker.

#570976 - 22/09/01 12:23 PM Re: Is there a locker for the 2wd - to lock both rear wheels?
Olegkha Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Jackel8821:
The negative to that is driving on the streets it really wears out the right rear tire.

why do you say RIGHT REAR tire
, why not both ?

#570977 - 22/09/01 12:33 PM Re: Is there a locker for the 2wd - to lock both rear wheels?
Jackel Offline

Loc: Glendale, AZ, USA
Because when you drive on the street when you make a left turn you can make it real wide and the left tire doesn't spin as much. But when you turn right it is a lot tighter of a turn on city streets so the tire spins more. Don't get me wrong ask anyone in the AZXC that my tires get worn out.

[ 09-22-2001: Message edited by: Jackel8821 ]

#570978 - 22/09/01 01:32 PM Re: Is there a locker for the 2wd - to lock both rear wheels?
OKC-X Offline

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Jackel,

Did you do that yourself or have a shop do it? Do you know if it can be done with a non-lsd rear-end?

Thanks
OKC-X

#570979 - 22/09/01 02:04 PM Re: Is there a locker for the 2wd - to lock both rear wheels?
Olegkha Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Jackel8821:
Because when you drive on the street when you make a left turn you can make it real wide and the left tire doesn't spin as much. But when you turn right it is a lot tighter of a turn on city streets so the tire spins more. Don't get me wrong ask anyone in the AZXC that my tires get worn out.

[ 09-22-2001: Message edited by: Jackel8821 ]

Thanks !
i did not think of that

#570980 - 22/09/01 04:14 PM Re: Is there a locker for the 2wd - to lock both rear wheels?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Not that you get much rain out there, but doesn't the welded diff also make the rear end prone to breaking loose and risking a spin on wet pavement?

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#570981 - 22/09/01 06:14 PM Re: Is there a locker for the 2wd - to lock both rear wheels?
Bobby Offline

Loc: 3small city
How does the stock rear end, versuses a welded one, handle in "stuck in mud" and off raod situations? =)

BOB

#570982 - 22/09/01 07:27 PM Re: Is there a locker for the 2wd - to lock both rear wheels?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why didn't you get a 4wd? Rather than get a 2wd and weld the rear. You'll get better offroadability and less stress on your X with a 4wd over a welded 2wd.

Cost confused

I would imagine there are obsticles that you must power up to with the 2wd and pop over that with a 4wd you would be able to crawl over.

The increased speed at which things will wear and the increased speed at which you are going to wear tires would offset the cost of a 4wd...IMO

Or am I just thinking this thru wrong confused

#570983 - 22/09/01 09:29 PM Re: Is there a locker for the 2wd - to lock both rear wheels?
Synchro Offline

Loc: The booth on the left
is that dead horse i smell? laugh

#570984 - 23/09/01 02:45 PM Re: Is there a locker for the 2wd - to lock both rear wheels?
Craigs_Tonka Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
doesn't the welded diff also make the rear end prone to breaking loose and risking a spin on wet pavement?
Forget wet pavement. He is constantly breaking them loose on dry pavement. Every time he leaves a parking lot, just turn the wheel, step on the gas, and instant squeel and rubber left on pavement. Hence his bald tires. smile

#570985 - 24/09/01 09:21 AM Re: Is there a locker for the 2wd - to lock both rear wheels?
chick-truck Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Jackel, you're Killing me dude.

A Lincoln Locker on an Xterra?! Too much!

Also glad to see someone else who thinks ARB is a locker, not a bumper.

Seriously guys, a welded (or spooled) diff is a pain in the ass on the street. Barking tires around corners and getting in parking spaces is fun for a while, but...

Plus the handling can best be described as...odd.

I'm with Goliath on this one, if you're going to off-road, get a 4x.

If cost (or body damage) makes trading truck in impracticle, go with a drop-in locker. Doesn't Lock-Rite or someone make one for the Nissan carrier?

ARB is unquestionable the BEST way to go. Clearly the Cadillac of diffs. I would never off-road without them. But a bit pricey for the average 2x owner.

Might also want to think about stepping to lower (higher numerical) gears as long as you have the carrier out.

OKC-X, most any diff can be welded.

See ya...

#570986 - 27/09/01 10:19 AM Re: Is there a locker for the 2wd - to lock both rear wheels?
MEX-TERRA Offline

Loc: Saltillo, Coah. Mexico
Powertrax is designing a No-Slip Traction System For the Xterra, this unit will be available in early 2002.Look for it at powertrax.com

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal