Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#572166 - 01/06/06 01:19 PM To what extent can you take a 4X2 offroading?
Anonymous
Unregistered

What type of trails can it perform in before it starts getting too reliant on 4WD?

Thanks.

~06

#572167 - 01/06/06 01:20 PM Re: To what extent can you take a 4X2 offroading?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Generally simple access roads or fire roads or some very light trail riding.

For more info look into the 2WD forum down on the main page.

#572168 - 01/06/06 01:35 PM Re: To what extent can you take a 4X2 offroading?
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
Just make sure you travel very carefuly through deep sand and washes.

Like so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfB-RvmVaTU

laugh

#572169 - 01/06/06 01:44 PM Re: To what extent can you take a 4X2 offroading?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not to Highjack, but. Socal what exhaust setup you runnin?

#572170 - 01/06/06 01:51 PM Re: To what extent can you take a 4X2 offroading?
socalpunx Offline

2 1/2" Mandrel bent pipe with a Bullet muffler I think. If you are going to crush bent it you would probably go with 2 1/2. I've had three or four mufflers under there but I'm pretty sure that this one is a Bullet.

I think it sounds better than the Dynomax and the Magnaflow that I've had in the past.

Keep in mind that you are also hearing the K&N also.

#572171 - 01/06/06 01:52 PM Re: To what extent can you take a 4X2 offroading?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the quick replies, guys. I just got this thing as a graduation present; so, I'm really not sure what this thing is capible of, nor its limits. Any more tips will be of great help.
Thanks again.

#572172 - 01/06/06 02:09 PM Re: To what extent can you take a 4X2 offroading?
Anonymous
Unregistered

a 2wd with a locker and a skilled driver is capable of alot. but in the end it just makes you want a 4x4.

#572173 - 01/06/06 04:20 PM Re: To what extent can you take a 4X2 offroading?
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by ScottXGTR:
a 2wd with a locker and a skilled driver is capable of alot. but in the end it just makes you want a 4x4.
As long as your X takes you to the places you want to go, you're good. If it doesn't and 4WD will, buy a 4WD. That's really about it. There are many on this board who yell from the rooftops that anything less than 4x4 is useless. I disagree, and am willing to bet that many of them have never even left the pavement. Seems to be some kind of macho thing.

#572174 - 01/06/06 05:24 PM Re: To what extent can you take a 4X2 offroading?
Snoopy Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
I think you will be impressed with the amount of trials available to you in 2WD.

For instance:
Blair Valley, Sandstone Canyon, Canyon Sin Nombre, Mortero Wash, Los Pinos Lookout, McCain Valley, and Table Mountain are all within a relatively short drive of San Diego.

Get with Southern California Club Xterra (SCCX) where we regularly run 2WD friendly trails.

Take care,
Travis

#572175 - 01/06/06 05:36 PM Re: To what extent can you take a 4X2 offroading?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a stock 2WD, and I've been pretty surprised by it's capabilities. I've gone up some pretty steep slopes, through fairly thick mud, and a pond or two. I've gotten it stuck once, but I always go with another vehicle behind me to pull it out. My best advice is to get out there, be careful with it, and see what you can do. Don't go crazy, and have fun. ScottXGTR is right though, it's going to make you wish you had a 4x4.

#572176 - 01/06/06 06:09 PM Re: To what extent can you take a 4X2 offroading?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I wouldn't go looking for trouble, stay on semi maintained roads that don't go thru deep washes and such.

2wd sure makes for a nice and light, tossable highway machine, but if you have the offroad bug, just trade it in before you spend any more money on it.

#572177 - 01/06/06 08:34 PM Re: To what extent can you take a 4X2 offroading?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by 06xterra:
Thanks for the quick replies, guys. I just got this thing as a graduation present; so, I'm really not sure what this thing is capible of, nor its limits. Any more tips will be of great help.
Thanks again.

In sand and washes airing-down your tires will make a big difference.

#572178 - 01/06/06 09:04 PM Re: To what extent can you take a 4X2 offroading?
Anonymous
Unregistered

My old 1st Gen 4x2. Took her up/over and through what I would have never imagined a 4x2 could do.

With the factory steprails & mud flaps on no less! lol

#572179 - 02/06/06 06:52 AM Re: To what extent can you take a 4X2 offroading?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
There are more than a few topics on the off-road capability of the 4x2 in the 4x2 section...
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000168
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000163
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000176
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000171
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000167
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000169

etc...

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#572180 - 02/06/06 12:52 PM Re: To what extent can you take a 4X2 offroading?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
There are more than a few topics on the off-road capability of the 4x2 in the 4x2 section...
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000168
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000163
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000176
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000171
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000167
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000169

etc...
Jackpot. Thanks a lot.

#572181 - 02/06/06 01:04 PM Re: To what extent can you take a 4X2 offroading?
Anonymous
Unregistered

#572182 - 02/06/06 01:55 PM Re: To what extent can you take a 4X2 offroading?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Now let's move this to the 4x2 section for the next person to find...

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#572183 - 02/06/06 11:34 PM Re: To what extent can you take a 4X2 offroading?
Anonymous
Unregistered

i did some light mudding this weekend and with everything stock, it went well. with some at's it would probably be better. it was a lot of fun anyways smile

#572184 - 06/06/06 10:52 AM Re: To what extent can you take a 4X2 offroading?
Anonymous
Unregistered

get bfg m/t's or some boggers and your car will be great in mud i tried it and it beat an 04 4x4 x in the mud i had to tow him out. Then again the power difference is insane.

#572185 - 06/06/06 11:13 AM Re: To what extent can you take a 4X2 offroading?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I find with the LSD (not the dope), it makes a big difference in 2WD over other 2WD trucks/SUV I've driven even though the LSD is not the best. Someone said the driver makes a big difference and I would agree. I tend to drive like if I'm in 4x4 all the time, so it doesn't take much for me for the 2wd to be insufficient and have to shift in 4x4. I would probably be more careful if I did not have that option.

#572186 - 08/06/06 07:17 AM Re: To what extent can you take a 4X2 offroading?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey 06Xterra...

Just discovered you on here and was begiining to wonder if there were others who bought 4x2 models.

I just bought a 2006 Xterra, 4x2 - midnight blue. Still lovin' it but haven't really put it to the test on some semi-maintained roads. But I'm itchin' to do that up in the Northern Ca area.

#572187 - 09/06/06 12:32 PM Re: To what extent can you take a 4X2 offroading?
Anonymous
Unregistered

As a few others have mentioned, there are a lot of fun places to explore in So Cal with a 4x2 truck, especially around San Diego.

Check out Tony Huegel's books (not sure if the name is spelled right, but it's close). He has one called California Coastal Byways, and another for the deserts. The coastal one has a lot of 2WD friendly routes.

Check out SCCX as well. Welcome to the group.

#572188 - 23/06/06 10:21 AM Re: To what extent can you take a 4X2 offroading?
Anonymous
Unregistered

i have 4x4, but i like to leave it in 2wd till i need 4 wheels. its amazing some of the shit you can get through. if i can figure out how to get pics off my phone to here, ill post some 4x2 pics of mine. Just check what you are going through before you go, use your head, and you should be okay.

#572189 - 05/07/06 12:04 AM Re: To what extent can you take a 4X2 offroading?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have done some pretty decent stuff in my 02...but what socalpunX is glorious! Thats what i want. Is that the TCF kit? Are you running headers or stock manifolds? And what type of coilovers are you running?

I want the Sway-A-Ways but i have had problems with their "urgency" or lack thereof in the past with shipment. I was left high and dry with no shocks when i had a "problem" in the desert.

#572190 - 05/07/06 10:20 AM Re: To what extent can you take a 4X2 offroading?
socalpunx Offline

Thanks for your comments.

Those are SLR 300m torsion bars with an SLR stage 5 suspension. A year and a half later and no problems or issues other than a replaced idler arm bushing.

Engine wise it's a custom built JP Performance exhaust system with a Bullet muffler and a K&N charger.

#572191 - 06/07/06 11:33 AM Re: To what extent can you take a 4X2 offroading?
Anonymous
Unregistered

No headers? I want the Nismo's. Otherwise, i checked out SLR and thanks but no thanks. I still dont like torsion bars. So much restriction. I am planning on going with the TCF like before because it deletes the torsion bars and adds coilover long travel suspeension.

BTW, where did you find SLR stage 5? I only found 1,2,3. However, the setup IS nice on your X. That thing looks and sounds sick flying down through the sand!

#572192 - 06/07/06 03:55 PM Re: To what extent can you take a 4X2 offroading?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by X-Quad:
No headers? I want the Nismo's. Otherwise, i checked out SLR and thanks but no thanks. I still dont like torsion bars. So much restriction. I am planning on going with the TCF like before because it deletes the torsion bars and adds coilover long travel suspeension.

BTW, where did you find SLR stage 5? I only found 1,2,3. However, the setup IS nice on your X. That thing looks and sounds sick flying down through the sand!
I've seen Pat's X in action. It's a nice rig.

#572193 - 06/07/06 05:13 PM Re: To what extent can you take a 4X2 offroading?
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
Quote:

unless i'm, mistaken you could very easily do that the the SLR kit... Pat just choose not to.

#572194 - 06/07/06 05:36 PM Re: To what extent can you take a 4X2 offroading?
socalpunx Offline

AFAIK there are no Nismo headers produced for the '00-'04 X.

Quote:

I understand that coil overs are really cool and have their advantages. I just don't know what restrictions you are talking about? A spring is a spring. A torsion bar rotates and a coil compresses. Otherwise you are still talking about a spring. It's a little more difficult to dial in spring rates with a torsion bar but they is can be done just by switching them out. There are different diameter and length torion bars just as there are coils.

You can get massive amounts of travel out of a torsion bar set up as you can with coils. You can throw a coil and you can slip a torsion bar out of its anchor. I chose to stick with the t-bar set up since I wanted to maximise the stock design since I am using the stock pivot points. I also am able to use a larger volume shock since I don't have to fit a coil into the upper arm.

I's have to ditch the really trick and cool upper arms and/or use custom upper pivots if I wanted to switch it to coil overs. Are they cool and work well? Of course. They are the current primary choice in the desert. I guess I just like being different and I think it's cool that something old school can wrok so well.

I'm sure Nissan's engineers know more than I do. As a matter of fact last years overall trophy truck champion in SCORE was driving a truck suspended with t-bars front and back.

The Stage 5 SLR is a long travel suspension that has been fixtured to reduced costs so that you get what is esentially a custom suspension system with the advantages of being able to produce it as a production line.

#572195 - 06/07/06 11:21 PM Re: To what extent can you take a 4X2 offroading?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dont get me worng i like what you've done and i've dealt with T-bars in tha past. Personally, i like TCF because i have worked with their product before. But otherwise i just like technology and applying it whenever and wherever i can.

I wasnt at all downing your rig. Its sweet as hell and would like to see more of it.

#572196 - 08/08/06 01:31 AM Re: To what extent can you take a 4X2 offroading?
Anonymous
Unregistered

having just purchased a 2006 4x2 X this thread was kinda neat to read and see that there are others out there who agree that you can take these beasts on some trails, i love trail riding granted i've yet to do it in my X but i'm sure one of these days I will, i was thinking about just putting some better A/Ts on it and some trail lights and i'd be set for some small fun.

#572197 - 08/08/06 08:43 AM Re: To what extent can you take a 4X2 offroading?
Griffin2020 Offline

Loc: D/FW Metroplex, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by Az Xterra:
having just purchased a 2006 2x4...
What are you planning on building with that lumber?

#572198 - 09/08/06 07:26 PM Re: To what extent can you take a 4X2 offroading?
Anonymous
Unregistered

did you happen to read the 2wd forum rules?

#572199 - 10/08/06 03:11 AM Re: To what extent can you take a 4X2 offroading?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Jrbbikerx:
did you happen to read the 2wd forum rules?
i did read the rules, i was simply commenting the thread. no where did i state any 4x4 activities, simply trail riding, wasn't aware trail riding was a 4x4 activity.

#572200 - 15/08/06 08:32 PM Re: To what extent can you take a 4X2 offroading?
Anonymous
Unregistered

any road surface other where you could engage your 4wd without damage to the drivetrain, ie any kind of trail, is considered a 4wheeling activity and therefore is not allowed to be discussed on this board/thread whatsoever.

#572201 - 16/08/06 03:53 AM Re: To what extent can you take a 4X2 offroading?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
any road surface other where you could engage your 4wd without damage to the drivetrain, ie any kind of trail, is considered a 4wheeling activity and therefore is not allowed to be discussed on this board/thread whatsoever.
So you're telling me that when I go from the pavement to a "dirt trail" i must have a 4x4 to do so? Damn, my car must have 4x4 and I didn't even know it. As far as i'm concerned, you're the one bringing up 4x4 discussion, I have yet to see anyone else bring it up, trail riding is not 4x4 Off-roading, it's trail riding. So get off your high horse, remove the stick and stop trying to be a hard ass.

or..just keep crying

#572202 - 16/08/06 03:34 PM Re: To what extent can you take a 4X2 offroading?
Anonymous
Unregistered

sarcasm

i could care less how/when/where you drive your truck

#572203 - 18/08/06 01:47 AM Re: To what extent can you take a 4X2 offroading?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
sarcasm

so what's the big deal if we're discussing 4x2 offroading aka trail riding...you started the issue saying that 4x4 talk wasn't allowed, and again, no one discussed it.

you weiner.

you lose.

end of subject..

#572204 - 21/08/06 07:54 PM Re: To what extent can you take a 4X2 offroading?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
sarcasm

who the F is this guy? [Uh Oh !]

#572205 - 22/08/06 08:50 PM Re: To what extent can you take a 4X2 offroading?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by C man:
Quote:
[b]sarcasm

who the F is this guy? [Uh Oh !] [/b]
I'm a 1 Xterra symbol nobody

#572206 - 22/08/06 11:57 PM Re: To what extent can you take a 4X2 offroading?
Anonymous
Unregistered

All i know is if you get mud terrains and come across dry sand. Just keep moving. You stop and your pretty much stuck.

#572207 - 23/08/06 04:49 PM Re: To what extent can you take a 4X2 offroading?
Anonymous
Unregistered

hmmm, about that far

[LOL]
sorry, I could not resist

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal