Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#572527 - 28/11/01 11:58 AM 4x2 versus 4x4
bleach Offline

Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma
I have a 4x2 X, 2002. It's great, but I wonder if I should get a 4x4 instead. I would like to do some off-roading, and snow (not much here in OK) stinks.

Does anyone think I should switch? Or does it really matter? Clearly some people prefer a 4x4 over the 4x2, but beyond that, what does anyone think? confused

#572528 - 28/11/01 12:34 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Cygnus-X1 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
In the end, only you can make that decision. Personnly, I could never see owning a truck or SUV that wasn't a 4x4, but that's because I use it and live in area where I have access to trails. Plus the occasional winter blizzard makes it even more handy.

If you're not much of an "outdoors person" (i.e. hunting, fishing, camping, mountain biking, etc) or don't live near any trails, farms, mud or whatever, then no, you probably don't need it. Don't get a 4x4 because it's "cool", get it because you think you'd like to get to places a 4x2 can't take you. And keep in mind, you may someday want to venture West or East and visit some destinations that are ripe with mountains and trails. But again, only you can make that decision based upon your needs, lifestyle, etc.

That being said, yes, go get a 4x4! You'll love it!

#572529 - 28/11/01 04:17 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
here we go again...

i will try and state my opinion with out starting another huge debate on the subject...

I have a 4x2.
I am happy with it, but thats only because of what i want to do to/with it...

-if you are looking to do serious rock crawling
-if you are looking to do a lot of snow/ice driving
-if you would like to spend a lot of time in mud, and get out easily
-get a slightly higher resale

get a 4x4

but if
-you would like to drive on modertae dificulty and lower off-road trails
-pay less for your truck
-save money on insurance(for me a lot of money)
-dont mind hearing and endless stream of put downs from 4x4 owners

get a 4x2

basicly it depends what you want to do, there have only been about 2 or 3 place i would like to have gone that i couldn't... i have been stuck more than most but then again it usually happens when im off-roading with a bunch of 4x4's...

unless you want to get into serious rock crawling then i dont see the need for 4x4, im in Southern california and the only time i see that most people would use it is if they went up to the mountains... i have driven in snow and done quite well...

I personaly am planning to put a Long travel suspension on my truck and go for more of a "desert runner" set up, as that is what i enjoy... i would much rather do 50mph across a desert trail hiting whoop dee doos, then do 2mph over huge boulders... but thats not to say the latter is not fun to watch smile

[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: Todrick ]
I'm just gonna edit this thing till i get it right... then i can save time the next time this comes up

[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: Todrick ]

#572530 - 28/11/01 04:27 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by Todrick:
-you would like to drive on most off-road trails

That should read "very few off-road trails" (and I'll correct you every time you make that false statement).

Go look at the Moab pics I just posted in the Pictures forum, or any picture on Xterra Journal. Those are "most off-road trails", and a 2WD will never be able to drive them.

#572531 - 28/11/01 04:38 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Todrick Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:

That should read "very few off-road trails" (and I'll correct you every time you make that false statement).

Go look at the Moab pics ...Those are "most off-road trails"...

really?

that seems innacurate, i would imagine there are tons more "fire roads" then there are "3+" trails...

I do know that when i look at topos i generally have to look for trails that are worse than a simple dirt road...
but then again i could be wrong... i will re-phrase...

-if you want to drive on moderate difficulty and lower off-road trails

#572532 - 28/11/01 04:54 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
Quote:

Go look at the Moab pics I just posted in the Pictures forum, or any picture on Xterra Journal. Those are "most off-road trails", and a 2WD will never be able to drive them.

Not to stir up more shit because you guys know I hate to do that but Ian, does your distain for 2wd x's cloud your opinion? Let's take a look at these un2wheeldrivable pictures you wanted us to see shall we.

What part of the trail in this pic would be impassible by anything other than a Volkswagen Jetta?

Unless a 2WD is somehow taller than the 4wd I don't see this being too much of a problem either.

Ditto for the Jetta comment

It doesn't show how you got there right?

My guess is (based on the other preceding pics) that you drove arround that big rock. Just like a guy in a Subaru Outback would have.

Just to let us lesser 2wd owners know. Are you in 4wd high or 4wd low for this one?

As a matter of fact Ian it looks like a pretty scenic relaxing drive up until you got to seven mile rim . You wanted him to look at THOSE pictures as evidence that a 2wd can't go anywhere that a 4WD can? Granted , maybee I'm not seeing the big stuff somewhere but it sure looks to me like he could have tagged along in a radio flyer for those 1st 8 or so pictures.

I give you a lot of credit for knowing your truck and taking the X places that noone else has and taking some great pictures of it in the process. But the limitations of the 2wd aren't as significant as you make them out to be and there are a lot of people , me included that still find plenty of places to take it and have fun.

#572533 - 28/11/01 04:57 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
-if you want to drive on moderate difficulty and lower off-road trails

3 and 3+ trails are moderate.
Even trails rated 2 will stop a 2WD.

I give up, you will never understand how severely limited a 2WD Xterra really is off-road.

#572534 - 28/11/01 05:07 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
XOC Offline
Admin

SoCalPunx, you would get stuck in 2WD just above the large rock tunnel on Long Canyon. You may make it up, since they have been grading the road occasionally.

White Rim is drivable for 78 miles in 2WD, then you get to HardScrabble Hill, where a 2WD would not make it, and you would be forced to drive back 78 miles to Moab.

What I've been trying to say for 2 years, is that if someone is even remotely interested in 4 wheeling, don't even consider a 2WD, it's that simple.

You, like Todrick, have no clue what you are talking about, and are just trying to justify buying a 4000 lb minivan.

#572535 - 28/11/01 05:13 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
socalpunx Offline

Quote:

So this was or wasn't a gross generalization? Those were the right pictures , right? Just making a point that maybee "most trails " was giving yourself a bit to much credit.

#572536 - 28/11/01 05:20 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by socalpunX:
So this was or wasn't a gross generalization? Those were the right pictures, right?

Almost, there are no pictures on Xterra Journal that a 2WD could get through unaided, except for Shrine Pass, which is a passenger car road, and Long Canyon, if it has been graded.

#572537 - 28/11/01 05:28 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
socalpunx Offline

Quote:

Almost, there are no pictures on Xterra Journal that a 2WD could get through unaided, except for Shrine Pass, which is a passenger car road, and Long Canyon, if it has been graded.

To tell you the truth Ian those 1st 8 pics were the 1st thing I saw and they looked pretty damn passable to me. That's all.

#572538 - 28/11/01 09:08 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Charcoal Briquet Offline

Loc: Old Bridge, NJ
ok, another 2wd guy here, its not so bad, the 4wd and 2wd look the same, and you will get higher gas mileage too because of less weight. Don't get me wrong, if i had to do it over again i would have opted for the 4x4
as long as its an X, thats all that counts!
Also you can always put the spare tire on the roof to look like your hardcore 4x4 dude!
Here we go with the tire on the roof debate!

Well, I generally come in at least fifteen minutes late, ah, I use the side door--that way Lumberg can't see me, heh--after that I sorta space out for an hour.
-Office Space 1999

#572539 - 28/11/01 10:42 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Bobby Offline

Loc: 3small city
I refuse to step into a flame war..

But MAN those are some REALLY nice pics, Ian.

That is a beautiful place. A bit dry for my taste =) (jk), but damn beautiful.. I am missing out. Oh, the curses of living in the swamp. (Louisiana),,

#572540 - 29/11/01 06:18 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Cygnus-X1 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Quote:
here we go again...

unless you want to get into serious rock crawling then i dont see the need for 4x4, im in Southern california

Come east then. Not all of us live in SoCal (thank god) where there are 50 million trails consisting nothing but dust and dirt. I don't "rock crawl" at all and use my 4wd all the time. The majority of the trails I run here in the mid-atlantic begin with a sign that says "Not Recommended For Two Wheel Drives". Why? Because a 4x2 would be useless in there. If you're happy with a 4x2 then fine, but why keep convincing yourself you can go everywhere a 4x4 can??? You can't. In SoCal maybe, but not most other places.

#572541 - 29/11/01 06:20 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
hux Offline

Loc: nc
>>What I've been trying to say for 2 years, is that if someone is even remotely interested in 4 wheeling, don't even consider a 2WD, it's that simple.

Depends on yer definition of 4 wheeling. Most folks wouldn't do a 78 mile trail to start with. Or rock crawl. There's a guy in West Va. that did some pretty gnarly shit in a CJ with the front drive shaft detached...granted that's a CJ with a much shorter wheelbase and a locked rear end, but most of that trail was doable with an open rear end, too...

If yer gonna go 2wd, do yerself a favor if yer gonna do anything approaching "rough"..get the LSD rear differential, or better yet a full locker system...you may already have LSD, I dunno...but you can have plenty of fun on the mild trails in 2wd. No shame in it. If yer having fun, who cares?

#572542 - 29/11/01 07:43 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
CDXX Offline

Loc: Beverly, MA
Bleach, you've just bought an '02 X. This is a question you should've asked before you bought! If you trade it in now, you'll lose big time. I, like many other 4X2 owners, am happy with my truck while others have not been and have traded them in for 4X4's. It all depends on what you're wanna do with it! I have owned 2 Nissan 4X2 pickups in the past so I chose the 4 banger. I love it! It looks and drives great, it hauls our mtbs, kayaks skis, etc. with ease and it fits my personality and lifestyle to a T! Everyone is different, but I personally can't afford to buy a $25,000 vehicle and then beat on it in the woods no matter how tough it is. I'm averaging 21-22 mpg in mixed driving (mostly around town). I'm getting the equivalent of 7 extra gallons of gas each tank full over the 16 - 18 mpg'ers. At $1.50 - $1.60/gallon, I saved over $400 in gas last year alone. That'll help buy lift tickets, bike parts, kayak accessories, etc. To others that's not as important as being able to go anywhere. Just follow the tag line: "Everything you need, nothing you don't"

#572543 - 29/11/01 09:06 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
02sc Offline

Loc: up yours
I bought My 2WD (minivan NOT!) X to tow - not for off road. After purchasing the X I found this club and have been on a couple of runs with the guys.

Truth be known the 2WD cannot do everything the 4WD can do...duh :rolleyes: , however there are a lot of things the 2WD can do that the 4WD guys think they can't, thouogh it is much harder in a 2WD...

Here in Cali we are blessed with many 2WD passable desert roads that those to the east do not have the privelage of. The key is to know what you personally and your vehicle can do - and go from there, when you challenge the limits be prepared to pay the consiquences.

#572544 - 29/11/01 09:36 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
bleach Offline

Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally posted by 02sc:
I bought My 2WD (minivan NOT!) X to tow - not for off road. After purchasing the X I found this club and have been on a couple of runs with the guys.

Truth be known the 2WD cannot do everything the 4WD can do...duh :rolleyes: , however there are a lot of things the 2WD can do that the 4WD guys think they can't, thouogh it is much harder in a 2WD...

Here in Cali we are blessed with many 2WD passable desert roads that those to the east do not have the privelage of. The key is to know what you personally and your vehicle can do - and go from there, when you challenge the limits be prepared to pay the consiquences.

Thanks for this info. I am in OK now, but I would like to move back out to CA where I am originally from. I lived in the Pismo Beach area and in the Lompoc area. I have been wondering if my 4x2 would do any good out on the sand dunes off Pismo's coast. I did consider getting a 4x4 since I enjoy outdoor activity, but I just wasn't sure. Thanks. Send me an email so I can ask you more questions about driving in SoCal. Thanks.

#572545 - 29/11/01 09:57 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
DGX Factor Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
4x4=2H,4H,4L
2x4=2H
Sorry, couldnt imagine how difficult and dangerous it would be to try some of the trails Ive been on with just a HIGH gear. Most of the time its not always a matter of having 4x4, its that low range that will make things so much better...

#572546 - 29/11/01 10:20 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Todrick Offline

Quote:

3 and 3+ trails [b]are
moderate.
Even trails rated 2 will stop a 2WD.

I give up, you will never understand how severely limited a 2WD Xterra really is off-road.[/b]

sir... i've driven a 3... not sure but i think i have also done a 3.5, i'd have to look at a couple maps...

a 2 will not stop an x 2wd or 4wd

#572547 - 29/11/01 10:24 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Todrick Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Cygnus-X1:

but why keep convincing yourself you can go everywhere a 4x4 can??? You can't.

i have never... and will never say that... that is what causes the debate...

most of you think thats what im saying, but in reality i am just defending against ians repeated coments that the 2wd X is a "4000lb. minivan" which is not the case...

im not an idiot i know the 2wd wont go everywhere the 4x4 will but it will go a lot further than most give it credit for

#572548 - 29/11/01 11:04 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
socalpunx Offline

Quote:

I think that this statement is what is being debated. IMO it is also a question of geography , as in what part of the country you live. Here in So Cal there is a huge desert running culture and there are way more desert type trails than there are hard core rock crawling and mud trails. They can be done in 2WD and it's fun to go FAST .

Can they also be driven in a minivan ? Sure why not. It's not as much fun but hey , each to their own. Noone here ever said that a 2wd can do everyhing a 4wd can do . It can't . Who cares ? I don't try to . I do what I like to do and I have fun doing it.

Ian , your condescending remarks referring the 2wd only make you look petty . It can be translated as trying to splinter this community that by your own definition is for all Xterra owners. It is your site, your club and therefore your ball. We play by your rules. But assuming that all 2wd owners regret thier purchases , however informed their buying decision was , because it doesn't do the mighty , majestic , wonderfull and exotic things your magical supertruck does is missing the mark. It serves no purpose. 2wd owners love their trucks. They have fun in them and they're allways going to . Why not encourage them instead of berating them? Regards, Patrick.

#572549 - 29/11/01 11:24 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Ian , your condescending remarks referring the 2wd only make you look petty .

My petty remarks only come to light when Todrick continues to try to convince people that a 2WD is almost as good as a 4WD off-road. It's not. It's no where even close.

People can buy all the 2WD Xterras they want, I don't care, just don't try and convince new buyers, or those thinking of trading up that a 2WD will get you places it wont.

I'm so glad they don't even sell them here in Colorado, so I don't have to deal with it.

#572550 - 29/11/01 11:32 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Todrick Offline

Quote:

My petty remarks only come to light when Todrick continues to try to convince people that a 2WD is almost as good as a 4WD off-road.

i thought i was right up front about this...
for most trail the 2wd is fine... for anything moderate or below. for anything tougher, or for mud or rock crawling your better off with a 4x4...

Quote:

People can buy all the 2WD Xterras they want, I don't care, just don't try and convince new buyers, or those thinking of trading up that a 2WD will get you places it wont.

my response is the same as the previous...
but what about trying to convince them it's a mini-van?

I have taken my truck to some amazing places... and really dont have a desire to "rock crawl" so i dont need more, if someone doesn't need more why is it you have to bash them for having the truck that suits their needs?

how bout this:
I go and buy a disco, then whenever you make ANY comment about the 4x4 X i can tell you that you drive a "Station Wagon"... and if i see someone who wants to buy an 4x4 X i can tell them the same thing. think about it, its silly, childish... and doesn't do anyone any good

#572551 - 29/11/01 12:14 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
ILUVMYX Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Quote:
defending against ians repeated coments that the 2wd X is a "4000lb. minivan" which is not the case...

You're right; it's not a minivan... the minivan would be better in the snow, haul more (except for towing), get better mileage, and most likely be faster and handle better.

#572552 - 29/11/01 01:24 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Todrick Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ILUVMYX:

You're right; it's not a minivan... the minivan would be better in the snow, haul more (except for towing), get better mileage, and most likely be faster and handle better.

maybe so but:

-it would not go where i have taken my x
-it would not look as good
-It does not have the following the X does

to compare a 4x2 and a 4x4 is about equivilant to comparing the 4x2 to a mini-van... they are vey different vehicle for very different uses...

there seems to be this kind of redneck "if it aint a 4x4 it aint a truck" opinion... that honestly is so well planted in most of america(and most of this board) that im probably never going to be able to convince people otherwise... for me its simple... Ivan Stewart drove a 4x2, thats good enough for me...

this is not rocket science.

If someone wants to go off-road with out doing any serious "rock crawling" or "mudding", or just likes the look of the X and has no intention of taking it off-road... buy a 2wd

if someone wants to go one step further get the 4x4...

pretty damn simple if you ask me

[ 11-29-2001: Message edited by: Todrick ]

#572553 - 29/11/01 06:16 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
wqbang Offline

Loc: Auburn, WA
Quote:
SoCalPunx, you would get stuck in 2WD just above the large rock tunnel on Long Canyon.

Yep. Unless of course you wanted to hit it fast enough and bounce of the walls of the crevase.

#572554 - 29/11/01 08:06 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Bobby Offline

Loc: 3small city
The pictures are still really pretty =)

#572555 - 29/11/01 09:44 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
for most trail the 2wd is fine... for anything moderate or below

I guess it's just our differing interpretation of what "moderate" means.

To me, moderate means a trail that a 4WD has some difficulty with, and a 2WD would never get over.

#572556 - 29/11/01 09:46 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Ivan Stewart drove a 4x2, thats good enough for me...

Which explains the problem.
You drive a 2WD Xterra.
The Ironman drives an 800 HP Tundra, with a spooled rear axle and 24 inches of wheel travel.

Huge difference, I wish you could see it.

#572557 - 30/11/01 05:13 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
ILUVMYX Offline

Quote:
Ivan Stewart drove a 4x2, thats good enough for me...

I don't understand what Ivan Stewart's truck has to do with this. It's a race truck designed for a very specific kind of course. They also race top fuel dragsters, but you wouldn't want one for your everyday driver. Shit, they even race these, so perhaps you should get a semi...

#572558 - 30/11/01 09:01 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Todrick Offline

Quote:

I guess it's just our differing interpretation of what "moderate" means.

To me, moderate means a trail that a 4WD has some difficulty with, and a 2WD would never get over.

ok... so lets break this down then:

what is the range we are talking about:
1-5?
1-10?

lets go with 1-10
if, as stated, odessa was a 7+ before the flood it was probably an 8 when the guys drove it in october... if thats an 8 i know i can do 5...
5 is dead center in the scale... making it by definition Moderate...

#572559 - 30/11/01 09:04 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Todrick Offline

Quote:

Which explains the problem.
You drive a 2WD Xterra.
The Ironman drives an 800 HP Tundra, with a spooled rear axle and 24 inches of wheel travel.

Huge difference, I wish you could see it.

ok the HP is a problem smile
but im looking for a long travel suspension
And a ARB Locker does appeal to me down the road...

I dont need the same truck as Ivan Stewart... he take 10+ foot dirt jumps... odds are biggest i'll ever hit is 3' or 4'

#572560 - 30/11/01 09:08 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Todrick Offline

Quote:

I don't understand what Ivan Stewart's truck has to do with this. It's a race truck designed for a very specific kind of course. They also race top fuel dragsters, but you wouldn't want one for your everyday driver. Shit, they even race these, so perhaps you should get a semi...

now thats just rediculous... seriously i dont want to run the same coarses Ivan Stewart does but the style of course is whats important... for "pre runner" or "desert runner" type stuff a 4x4 makes less sense... sorry if you dont see that...

your arguement also applies to you... and the vehicles used in the Rock Crawling Championships... not something id want to use as a daily driver...

#572561 - 30/11/01 09:18 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
ILUVMYX Offline

Quote:
your arguement also applies to you... and the vehicles used in the Rock Crawling Championships... not something id want to use as a daily driver...

My argument? I'm not the one who's justifying my vehicle by saying "well so and so's race vehicle is like that so it's good enough for me".

Besides, my truck is nothing like real rock crawlers and your truck is nothing like Ivan Stuart's. So the analogy is pointless.

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: ILUVMYX ]

#572562 - 30/11/01 09:36 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Jackel Offline

Loc: Glendale, AZ, USA
Not even going to get involved agian. I am getting a 4WD because I am tired of beating on my 2WD. I have gone a lot of places BUT I do not have a stock 2WD X. The places I have gone to a Stock 2WD will not go. Like I said before my X has paid the price, I would doubt very much if my X ever sees offroad again before we trade it in for a 4WD. If you would like a parts list I will more then happy to post.

#572563 - 30/11/01 09:44 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
socalpunx Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Jackel:
If you would like a parts list I will more then happy to post.

I've actually been curious about your truck. It's been mentioned quite often. If you were so inclined I'd be interested. Thanks.

#572564 - 30/11/01 10:00 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
X-tina Offline

Loc: Connecticut
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ILUVMYX:
[QB]

My argument?

yea, stop starting fights, wannna race?
http://www.bigfoot4x4.com/photo-gallery/images/june01-200.jpg

#572565 - 30/11/01 10:08 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
ILUVMYX Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by X-tina:

Oh yeah? Well my dad can beat up your dad (unless Casey's around)!

By the way, it's funny you should mention monster trucks. I saw a thing on TV last night about this guy who builds them as toys for rich people. He said they get about 75 feet per gallon mileage at full throttle. So yeah, I'll race ya across the country. I'd beat ya no problem because you'd be stopping for gas every 30 seconds!

#572566 - 30/11/01 10:09 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
socalpunx Offline

Quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ILUVMYX:
[QB]

http://www.bigfoot4x4.com/photo-gallery/images/june01-200.jpg

Oh yeah ? Ivan Stewart could kick that things ass in ANY race longer than 300 feet !

#572567 - 30/11/01 10:12 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
ILUVMYX Offline

Quote:
Oh yeah ? Ivan Stewart could kick that things ass in ANY race longer than 300 feet !

Not if the race included driving over cars. HA!

#572568 - 30/11/01 10:23 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
socalpunx Offline

Quote:

Not if the race included driving over cars. HA!

The only problem I see with that is that EVERY time I see one of those "races" they allways seem fortunate to finnish the "race " without breaking. Those damn things seem to be built to within an inch of their lives. Hence the minimum 300 foot requirement.

#572569 - 30/11/01 10:34 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
ILUVMYX Offline

Quote:
Those damn things seem to be built to within an inch of their lives.

Very true, but I don't think there's much more they could do to them to make them more durable. Those things weigh 10,000 pounds and they can do 65-70 MPH in 300 feet with 1300 HP engines! Imagine launching anything that heavy 10 feet in the air and expecting it not to break. It's almost hard to believe they're as durable as they are. Some of the older ones weighed closer to 20,000 pounds and were more durable, but slower*.

*DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a redneck! I would never have known all that about monster trucks if I hadn't just seen that special about it last night! Honest.

#572570 - 30/11/01 11:17 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
X-tina Offline

Quote:

*DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a redneck! I would never have known all that about monster trucks if I hadn't just seen that special about it last night! Honest.

There's nothing to be ashamed of sweetheart, you still make my heart flutter. And by the way your dad can't beat up my dad.

#572571 - 30/11/01 11:32 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
ILUVMYX Offline

Quote:

There's nothing to be ashamed of sweetheart, you still make my heart flutter.

That is sooo sweet! OK, I admit it, I don't have one of dem XTERRA thingies. I have a '76 red Ford pick-em-up truck with a gun rack and a confederate flag in the back. So baby, wanna come over to my place for some 'shine? wink

#572572 - 30/11/01 12:06 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Jackel Offline

Well I did weld up the rear end so I had a Lincoln Locker in the rear. At GOX it started to slip so Kuuipo took it to Vallejo Nissan and told them there was something wrong and they replaced it. So now I only have the Stock limited slip. I have the Gibson Exhaust and a SLR Air intake and undisclosable engine work. I have the SLR shackles and torsion raise. My ricer friend that I race with who works for APEX remapped my computer. AS far as parts list I was tlaking about what I have broken or lost.
So far I am on my third cross member and it is now bent. My front skid plate is toast. Right lower control arm is bent, fuel tank only holds about 18 gallons now because it has been crushed in. My front leaf spring shackle mounts are toast and I have had 3 alignments. So 2wd can do more then dirt roads but at a price. A stock 2wd Never would of done what I did at GOX.

#572573 - 30/11/01 12:10 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
X-tina Offline

Quote:

So baby, wanna come over to my place for some 'shine? wink

I'm on my way...........

#572574 - 30/11/01 01:02 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Todrick Offline

ok now that everyone seems mellow(er)...

let me make this very simple:

Buy the truck that suits your needs.
only you can decide what your needs are.

#572575 - 30/11/01 01:06 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
lets go with 1-10
if, as stated, odessa was a 7+ before the flood it was probably an 8 when the guys drove it in october... if thats an 8 i know i can do 5...

Never. Not a chance.

GOX is 4's and 5's, and Jackel finally broke with a spooled rear.

Please, drive to GOX next year, and let me explain it to you.

#572576 - 30/11/01 05:20 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Todrick Offline

i plan to be at GOX...

I do not plan to dirve anything that may damgae my truck... in fact i will probably not do too much driving once im there...

im just not looking to do that... it was fun at first and i drove some amazing trails... i said the X can do it and i can do it... but with any luck by GOX my truck wont even be set up for the types of trails you like...

tell you what, if i got my truck set up by WEST X '02:
slr stage iv (or similar)lift
fender flares
New bumber(s)
possibly an ARB locker
then you gotta come out, with your truck as is... we'll race out to coyote lake... across hilltops and down a sandy wash(those that were there know the trail)... not head to head but timed, just to be safe...

different trucks for different needs.

#572577 - 30/11/01 06:37 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
ILUVMYX Offline

Quote:
we'll race out to coyote lake... across hilltops and down a sandy wash(those that were there know the trail)... not head to head but timed, just to be safe...

different trucks for different needs.

Anyone got a WRX I can borrow?

#572578 - 30/11/01 06:40 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Todrick Offline

Quote:

Anyone got a WRX I can borrow?

exactly...

the WRX is almost perfect for what i like to do...
However...
i find it hideously ugly
It does not have the amount of interior room i need
its ugly...
it doesn't have the clearance(hence the lift i want on the x)
and um... oh yeah, i think its ugly smile

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: Todrick ]

#572579 - 30/11/01 08:19 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
ILUVMYX Offline

Quote:

exactly...

the WRX is almost perfect for what i like to do...
However...
i find it hideously ugly
It does not have the amount of interior room i need
its ugly...
it doesn't have the clearance(hence the lift i want on the x)
and um... oh yeah, i think its ugly smile

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: Todrick ]

Yeah, but I don't think I have to tell you how badly that little all wheel drive, street-legal rally car would destroy an X in an off-road race like you're proposing. Which only further illustrates how ridiculous this argument is in the first place. To me at least, the thought of trying to make an XTERRA fast seems about as silly as doing the modifications necessary to make a Miata a good rock climber--it just makes ya ask why not start with something a bit more designed for the purpose in the first place. At the very least start with a Frontier Desert Runner.

Sorry man, I like ya and all, but I've seen this stupid argument go on and on and on and on... Not that Ian and others haven't stoked the fire too. If a two wheel drive truck suits your needs that's great, but it just seems you're desperate to defend it at all costs. Many many people own two wheel drive trucks, but they're realistic about their limitations. You really don't seem to be. smile

#572580 - 30/11/01 10:45 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
then you gotta come out, with your truck as is... we'll race out to coyote lake... across hilltops and down a sandy wash(those that were there know the trail)... not head to head but timed, just to be safe...

I'll still smoke you since I've been driving since you were born.

#572581 - 01/12/01 06:28 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Jackel Offline

I'll volunteer to drive the WRX

#572582 - 01/12/01 06:53 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
ILUVMYX Offline

Quote:
I'll volunteer to drive the WRX

I understand your desire, but I'm afraid we don't need a race car driver for this race. I'm pretty sure a three legged dog with bad eyesight in a WRX could outrun Todrick in his truck. :p

#572583 - 01/12/01 09:23 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Strom Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:

I understand your desire, but I'm afraid we don't need a race car driver for this race. I'm pretty sure a three legged dog with bad eyesight in a WRX could outrun Todrick in his truck. :p

You would probably trash the WRX pretty quickly if you took any jumps (even tiny). Yes, the WRC can take a huge pounding, but that thing is HIGHLY modified.

#572584 - 01/12/01 10:09 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
socalpunx Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Strom:

You would probably trash the WRX pretty quickly if you took any jumps (even tiny). Yes, the WRC can take a huge pounding, but that thing is HIGHLY modified.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Taking Todrick's "dream X" . Take your minimal engine mods along the lines of Jackyl's (cam throttle body, headers, exhaust , intake) add to that the dream suspension (7100's? duals? Fox with resevoirs? and all the goodies to get a desired 18-20 inches of travel ) ,relocate the spare to the cargo area with some sort of custom bracket and you are on your way. Just for good measure he decides to get fender flares and pre-runner bumpers fabricated for added protection and a bit of asthetics. (Now he knows he won't rip of the fenders on the 1st jump)

You now have the TODRICK edition Xterra. Pricetag :$6,000 plus the cost of the truck .
Not much , I'd say , to make a very capable desert beast!

You guys are going to tell me that you can do $6,000 worth of mods to a WRX and make it do what the Todrick Edition could do ? One set of whoops and it's history. What comes up must come down. You'd have fenders everywhere. Just how much travel is even available for the WRX?

Apples and oranges.

Damn I wish I had the money or the Todrick edition.

Oh , and Ian I'd love to have the chance to race you in the Todrick Edition. I've been driving/riding in the desert for 15 years.

[ 12-01-2001: Message edited by: socalpunX ]

#572585 - 01/12/01 04:08 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Strom Offline

I'm not saying anything against the WRX - it is one mean machine. But if you think it is a World Rally Car out of the box, think about this:
http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~bstrom/fin01-07.jpg
http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~bstrom/fin01-01.jpg
http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~bstrom/fin01-12.jpg
The WRX that you see doing all of these fun things is very expensive. The engine work alone costs as much as 5 stock Subaru WRX Sedans.

[ 12-01-2001: Message edited by: Strom ]

#572586 - 01/12/01 04:31 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
socalpunx Offline

Quote:
I'm not saying anything against the WRX - it is one mean machine. But if you think it is a World Rally Car out of the box, think about this:
http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~bstrom/fin01-07.jpg
http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~bstrom/fin01-01.jpg
http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~bstrom/fin01-12.jpg
The WRX that you see doing all of these fun things is very expensive. The engine work alone costs as much as 5 stock Subaru WRX Sedans.

Let me see. Some sky ..Some trees.....oh there's the WRX. DAMmmm. For you low bandwith guys those were some great pics. The Todrick Edition would get it's ass handed to it by that thing. But like I said, my $6,000 Todrick Edition could do some serious damage!

#572587 - 01/12/01 05:10 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
ILUVMYX Offline

Quote:
But like I said, my $6,000 Todrick Edition could do some serious damage!

Serious damage??? To what? Add a supercharger to an X and give it 40 more horses and what do you get??? Not much. 0-60 in a whopping 10 seconds! Woo hoo! It's 4000 pounds! For that 6000 bucks on top of the price of a two wheel drive X you could buy a supercharged Tacoma 4x4 that comes with better suspension than the X, 4 wheel drive, and it even comes with a locker in the rear. And it'll do 0-60 in 8 seconds. You'd spend far more than 6 grand to make an X do 0-60 in 8 seconds and it would still be 2 wheel drive. My oh my boys, I love the X as much as anyone, but the thought of trying to make is fast is soooo laughable. It's fun to dream though ain't it?

#572588 - 01/12/01 07:36 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Todrick Offline

Quote:

I'll still smoke you since I've been driving since you were born.

i hope to have my truck in proper shape by then...

but the important part here is this:

thank you ian...
after almost two years of debate you finally agree with me... all things being equal...
it is about the driver smile

actually you went a step further... even when one truck has a strong advantage, its all about the driver

#572589 - 01/12/01 07:44 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Todrick Offline

Quote:

Serious damage??? To what? Add a supercharger to an X and give it 40 more horses and what do you get??? Not much. 0-60 in a whopping 10 seconds! Woo hoo! It's 4000 pounds! For that 6000 bucks on top of the price of a two wheel drive X you could buy a supercharged Tacoma 4x4 that comes with better suspension than the X, 4 wheel drive, and it even comes with a locker in the rear. And it'll do 0-60 in 8 seconds. You'd spend far more than 6 grand to make an X do 0-60 in 8 seconds and it would still be 2 wheel drive. My oh my boys, I love the X as much as anyone, but the thought of trying to make is fast is soooo laughable. It's fun to dream though ain't it?

the tacoma goes along the lines of the WRX for me:
-the X looks better
-the Tacoma is not going to meet my "daily" needs like the X... i need the INTERIOR room

seriously this isn't about being the fastest... the point here is what i want to do in my truck is not what most of you want to do... i would like to do 50+mph across dessert trails... Ians X would not do it with out his 32's ripping the hell out of his fenders on the landing the first time he gets airborn...

for what i want/need a 4x4 is not only not necessary but it would cost me more money monthly... more on insurance... and i would still have to put the same mods on it... so in the end the whole deal would be more expensive and not suit my needs/wants any better... plus there would be more part to worry about breaking...

alot of you have heavily modified your trucks to better suit your needs... but those needs are not mine...

i have not, yet... the parts pretty much dont exist, so currently the time/cost/risk of getting the parts custom fab'ed is not worth it... so im waiting...

you here that SLR... I'm waiting wink

[ 12-01-2001: Message edited by: Todrick ]

#572590 - 01/12/01 08:46 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Strom Offline

Quote:

But like I said, my $6,000 Todrick Edition could do some serious damage!

That was my point exactly! The engine alone on the WRX World Rally Car costs 100,000 Pounds (which is like $150,000). The suspension costs about over $20,000 per corner for a total of well over $80,000.

The idea was that a car like that is EXPENSIVE. The X, with a long-travel suspension, some engine mods, and some good tires can do some fun Prerunning/Baja Style driving. It will cost less in the long run, and will be much more useful around town.

That's my opinion at least. smile

Notice that nowhere did I say that a 2wd is as capable at rockcrawling or general offroading as a 4wd. But, where are you going to get the long-travel suspension for a 4wd? You would be buying new CV joints and axle shafts every week.
All I am saying is that the 2wd has some applications that are more suited to it than to 4wd.

#572591 - 01/12/01 10:29 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Craigs_Tonka Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Quote:
Ians X would not do it with out his 32's ripping the hell out of his fenders on the landing the first time he gets airborn...
Sorry to disagree Todrick, but your inexperience with mods must be corrected. I'm running 32's and have had my X airborn, at least in the front since the rear has much more downward travel. (once by accident and then again on purpose) Granted I'm not running stock suspension, but neither is Ian, in fact up front we are running the same lift but currently he has better torsion bars. The only time 32's even touch anywhere is under full articulated compression in the right rear. It will hit the fuel filler (as predicted by Ian, thanks for the tip). wink

I guess I'm one of the few that runs the middle ground on this debate. I agree that given some money for mods the X can be balanced out much better in suspension and engine performance to do things most would think impossible. If that's your gig, go for it. BUT, I will be one of the first ones to state that a 2x4 will not keep up with a 4x4.

I don't want to fuel the debate or start anything new, but I did want to add my .02 since I have some experience regarding your comments. laugh

In the final analysis, it's all good. Buy, Build, Drive Fast, Rock Crawl, shit do all of the above, as long as it's in a X everythings cool. smile

#572592 - 02/12/01 04:16 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Origami Gangsta Offline

Loc: Dammit! Even CLOSER to Smith a...
I was going to post on this earlier, I just wanted to see how far you pricks could take it.. laugh Craig, you hit it right on the money, I've got nothing left to say..

Except you get a 5 in my book..

#572593 - 02/12/01 09:07 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
gmaxis Offline

Loc: America's Finest city
I'm one of the few (many?) who traded-in their 2x4 for a 4x4 evern before I went off-roading. I never knew how fun it would be and I know a lot of owners who have fun with their 2 wheel drives. But for serious/xtreme/insane off-roading, a 4x4 is the choice. Although there are a few insane drivers in a 2x4 having as much fun if not more, than a completely normal driver in a four wheel drive.

#572594 - 02/12/01 02:10 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Todrick Offline

Quote:

That was my point exactly! The engine alone on the WRX World Rally Car costs 100,000 Pounds (which is like $150,000). The suspension costs about over $20,000 per corner for a total of well over $80,000.

The idea was that a car like that is EXPENSIVE. The X, with a long-travel suspension, some engine mods, and some good tires can do some fun Prerunning/Baja Style driving. It will cost less in the long run, and will be much more useful around town.

That's my opinion at least. smile

Notice that nowhere did I say that a 2wd is as capable at rockcrawling or general offroading as a 4wd. But, where are you going to get the long-travel suspension for a 4wd? You would be buying new CV joints and axle shafts every week.
All I am saying is that the 2wd has some applications that are more suited to it than to 4wd.

i think that was the point... it will be fun on weekends... and still suit my needs and style around town

#572595 - 02/12/01 02:14 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Todrick Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Craigs_Tonka:
Sorry to disagree Todrick, but your inexperience with mods must be corrected

this idea was based on the information that the Fabtech lift, had this happen... with stock fenders it sure seems likely to me... but maybe your right.

but it is more about the fenders than the lift...

Quote:

BUT, I will be one of the first ones to state that a 2x4 will not keep up with a 4x4.

again i didn't say it would... but for what i want to do a 4x4 is not nesecary... or practical

Quote:

In the final analysis, it's all good. Buy, Build, Drive Fast, Rock Crawl, shit do all of the above, as long as it's in a X everythings cool. smile

amen brother

[ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: Todrick ]

#572596 - 02/12/01 06:58 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Strom Offline

Quote:

i think that was the point... it will be fun on weekends... and still suit my needs and style around town

SHEESH....I WAS AGREEING WITH YOU GUYS. smile

#572597 - 03/12/01 09:54 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Jackel Offline

The WRX is not just for offroad. I race against Gary and he finally got the WRX figured out and won his first race.
http://www.teamsmr.com/html/home.html

#572598 - 03/12/01 10:04 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Todrick Offline

Quote:

SHEESH....I WAS AGREEING WITH YOU GUYS. smile

sorry... you know how the internet does not show inflection in speach... i was saying thanks... and kinda pointing out that the whole idea was lost and i think you nailed it... sorry... i hate that there is no "tone of voice" on the net

#572599 - 03/12/01 04:05 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Strom Offline

Quote:

sorry... you know how the internet does not show inflection in speach... i was saying thanks... and kinda pointing out that the whole idea was lost and i think you nailed it... sorry... i hate that there is no "tone of voice" on the net

No apology needed - notice the smiley at the end of that message. laugh

#572600 - 03/12/01 04:07 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Strom Offline

Quote:
The WRX is not just for offroad. I race against Gary and he finally got the WRX figured out and won his first race.
http://www.teamsmr.com/html/home.html

Very true - I just thought that those pictures were more applicable to what we were discussing.
With all-wheel drive and a nice, low center of gravity due to the engine design, it is one mean road car as well.

#572601 - 05/12/01 06:11 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
yellowX Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by bleach:
I have a 4x2 X, 2002. It's great, but I wonder if I should get a 4x4 instead. I would like to do some off-roading, and snow (not much here in OK) stinks.

Does anyone think I should switch? Or does it really matter? Clearly some people prefer a 4x4 over the 4x2, but beyond that, what does anyone think? confused

Bleach,
If you can afford it and you know that you are going to use it, and I mean use it, not just have it because it makes you look good or feel socially acceptable, then go for it.

If I could start all over, I would have gotten the 4x4, but the dealer that I went did not have that many 4WD and was selling them like gold or platinum. So, opting on the $$ side, I went with the 2WD. I know! I know! I should have went else where in town or do some aggressive bargaining. Hey y'all, I'm learning this stuff (wheeling & dealing w/ car salesmen), too!

#572602 - 05/12/01 07:18 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
LastRites Offline

Loc: 6012 feet up....
A vehicle w/ rear wheel drive, 4x2, and as light in the ass end as the X is PERFECT if you like whipping broadies when it snows. At the same time the ABS takes all the glory out of driving like a madman in the winter. If you enjoy being able to pull away from a redlight before it turns red again, opt for 4x4 laugh .
*Is it just me or does it seem like the price of a 4x4 X now is less than the price of a 4x2 X in say circa 99'? Seems like the pricing has gone down but I really haven't put much number crunching into that statement.

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: LastRites ]

#572603 - 05/12/01 10:01 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Todrick Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by LastRites:

*Is it just me or does it seem like the price of a 4x4 X now is less than the price of a 4x2 X in say circa 99'? Seems like the pricing has gone down but I really haven't put much number crunching into that statement.

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: LastRites ]

you are right

the price has not gone down but the dealer mark up did...

with out getting too graphic about the horror...

I could have a SE/SC for the money i paid for my XE 3Pack...

but then again thats the price to pay for being a leader, not a follower laugh

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: Todrick ]

#572604 - 06/12/01 04:55 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
ILUVMYX Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by LastRites:
A vehicle w/ rear wheel drive, 4x2, and as light in the ass end as the X is PERFECT if you like whipping broadies when it snows. At the same time the ABS takes all the glory out of driving like a madman in the winter. If you enjoy being able to pull away from a redlight before it turns red again, opt for 4x4

Very true. But with a 4x4 you get both at the flip of the lever! :p

#572605 - 28/12/01 01:31 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
LOGAN Offline

Do like I did....Keep the 2WD X and get a 4WD Frontier! Now I have the best of both!!!

#572606 - 28/12/01 01:36 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
LOGAN Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Charcoal Briquet:
ok, another 2wd guy here, its not so bad, the 4wd and 2wd look the same, and you will get higher gas mileage too because of less weight. Don't get me wrong, if i had to do it over again i would have opted for the 4x4
as long as its an X, thats all that counts!
Also you can always put the spare tire on the roof to look like your hardcore 4x4 dude!
Here we go with the tire on the roof debate!

I get better mileage in my 4x4 Frontier that is much heavier than my 4x2 Xterra....

And yes there is a difference, I have been several places in which my X would not make it but the Frontier has no issue in 4L to crawl up these places!

#572607 - 28/12/01 02:08 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Todrick Offline

talk about bringing a thread back that should have remained dead...

the point logan is that some of us(yes me included... now... finaly) really dont want to go to some of those places...

the idea of crawling over rocks at 2mph is not as appealing as flying over a dessert trail at 50 or 60mph... something 4x4 is of little use for, or in fact 4x4 often has more negatives then positive in that case...

besides... i think it is obvious most 4x2 owners are hppy with their trucks and they dont have the need/desire to have a 4x4...

is your X any less of an X because it is a 4x2?

but you decided you wanted to crawl... so you got the frontier... good for you...

but for some of us Crawling just doesn't look like fun...

#572608 - 28/12/01 04:06 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Schludwiller Offline

Loc: Redmond,WA
Quote:
i think it is obvious most 4x2 owners are hppy with their trucks and they dont have the need/desire to have a 4x4...

For more info on this subject read..."How can I change my 4x4 to a 4x2?" and "Did I make a mistake buying a 4x4 Xterra?" :p

#572609 - 28/12/01 04:27 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
socalpunx Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Schludwiller:

For more info on this subject read..."How can I change my 4x4 to a 4x2?" and "Did I make a mistake buying a 4x4 Xterra?" :p

I think that this has a great deal with peer pressure. The good kind. I have to confess that I bought it because I wanted an Suv and the recomendations pointed me towards the X. I did all the research and bought the truck I wanted at a price I thought was right and got what I wanted. I'd never had the intention of doing anything with my truck other than hauling the fandamily arround and taking it on surf trips ect.

Then I came here. DAMNIT! Like others I saw pictures and heard stories and I wanted to have some experiences of my own . I wanted to make my own fun. So here I am. I've allready put way more in mods to make it the truck I want and I'm pretty sure I'm just getting started. I think that this is more the rule than the exception. I didn't know what it could do until I saw evidence of it here.

When I bought my X it fit every need I had . It just so happens that I am now doing more with my truck than I would have imagined.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal