2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#572577 - 30/11/01 06:37 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
ILUVMYX Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Todrick:
we'll race out to coyote lake... across hilltops and down a sandy wash(those that were there know the trail)... not head to head but timed, just to be safe...

different trucks for different needs.

Anyone got a WRX I can borrow?

#572578 - 30/11/01 06:40 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
Quote:
Originally posted by ILUVMYX:

Anyone got a WRX I can borrow?

exactly...

the WRX is almost perfect for what i like to do...
However...
i find it hideously ugly
It does not have the amount of interior room i need
its ugly...
it doesn't have the clearance(hence the lift i want on the x)
and um... oh yeah, i think its ugly smile

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: Todrick ]

#572579 - 30/11/01 08:19 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
ILUVMYX Offline

Quote:

exactly...

the WRX is almost perfect for what i like to do...
However...
i find it hideously ugly
It does not have the amount of interior room i need
its ugly...
it doesn't have the clearance(hence the lift i want on the x)
and um... oh yeah, i think its ugly smile

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: Todrick ]

Yeah, but I don't think I have to tell you how badly that little all wheel drive, street-legal rally car would destroy an X in an off-road race like you're proposing. Which only further illustrates how ridiculous this argument is in the first place. To me at least, the thought of trying to make an XTERRA fast seems about as silly as doing the modifications necessary to make a Miata a good rock climber--it just makes ya ask why not start with something a bit more designed for the purpose in the first place. At the very least start with a Frontier Desert Runner.

Sorry man, I like ya and all, but I've seen this stupid argument go on and on and on and on... Not that Ian and others haven't stoked the fire too. If a two wheel drive truck suits your needs that's great, but it just seems you're desperate to defend it at all costs. Many many people own two wheel drive trucks, but they're realistic about their limitations. You really don't seem to be. smile

#572580 - 30/11/01 10:45 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
then you gotta come out, with your truck as is... we'll race out to coyote lake... across hilltops and down a sandy wash(those that were there know the trail)... not head to head but timed, just to be safe...

I'll still smoke you since I've been driving since you were born.

#572581 - 01/12/01 06:28 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Jackel Offline

Loc: Glendale, AZ, USA
I'll volunteer to drive the WRX

#572582 - 01/12/01 06:53 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
ILUVMYX Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Jackel:
I'll volunteer to drive the WRX

I understand your desire, but I'm afraid we don't need a race car driver for this race. I'm pretty sure a three legged dog with bad eyesight in a WRX could outrun Todrick in his truck. :p

#572583 - 01/12/01 09:23 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Strom Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:

I understand your desire, but I'm afraid we don't need a race car driver for this race. I'm pretty sure a three legged dog with bad eyesight in a WRX could outrun Todrick in his truck. :p

You would probably trash the WRX pretty quickly if you took any jumps (even tiny). Yes, the WRC can take a huge pounding, but that thing is HIGHLY modified.

#572584 - 01/12/01 10:09 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
Quote:
Originally posted by Strom:

You would probably trash the WRX pretty quickly if you took any jumps (even tiny). Yes, the WRC can take a huge pounding, but that thing is HIGHLY modified.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Taking Todrick's "dream X" . Take your minimal engine mods along the lines of Jackyl's (cam throttle body, headers, exhaust , intake) add to that the dream suspension (7100's? duals? Fox with resevoirs? and all the goodies to get a desired 18-20 inches of travel ) ,relocate the spare to the cargo area with some sort of custom bracket and you are on your way. Just for good measure he decides to get fender flares and pre-runner bumpers fabricated for added protection and a bit of asthetics. (Now he knows he won't rip of the fenders on the 1st jump)

You now have the TODRICK edition Xterra. Pricetag :$6,000 plus the cost of the truck .
Not much , I'd say , to make a very capable desert beast!

You guys are going to tell me that you can do $6,000 worth of mods to a WRX and make it do what the Todrick Edition could do ? One set of whoops and it's history. What comes up must come down. You'd have fenders everywhere. Just how much travel is even available for the WRX?

Apples and oranges.

Damn I wish I had the money or the Todrick edition.

Oh , and Ian I'd love to have the chance to race you in the Todrick Edition. I've been driving/riding in the desert for 15 years.

[ 12-01-2001: Message edited by: socalpunX ]

#572585 - 01/12/01 04:08 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Strom Offline

I'm not saying anything against the WRX - it is one mean machine. But if you think it is a World Rally Car out of the box, think about this:
http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~bstrom/fin01-07.jpg
http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~bstrom/fin01-01.jpg
http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~bstrom/fin01-12.jpg
The WRX that you see doing all of these fun things is very expensive. The engine work alone costs as much as 5 stock Subaru WRX Sedans.

[ 12-01-2001: Message edited by: Strom ]

#572586 - 01/12/01 04:31 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
Quote:
I'm not saying anything against the WRX - it is one mean machine. But if you think it is a World Rally Car out of the box, think about this:
http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~bstrom/fin01-07.jpg
http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~bstrom/fin01-01.jpg
http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~bstrom/fin01-12.jpg
The WRX that you see doing all of these fun things is very expensive. The engine work alone costs as much as 5 stock Subaru WRX Sedans.

Let me see. Some sky ..Some trees.....oh there's the WRX. DAMmmm. For you low bandwith guys those were some great pics. The Todrick Edition would get it's ass handed to it by that thing. But like I said, my $6,000 Todrick Edition could do some serious damage!

#572587 - 01/12/01 05:10 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
ILUVMYX Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by socalpunX:
But like I said, my $6,000 Todrick Edition could do some serious damage!

Serious damage??? To what? Add a supercharger to an X and give it 40 more horses and what do you get??? Not much. 0-60 in a whopping 10 seconds! Woo hoo! It's 4000 pounds! For that 6000 bucks on top of the price of a two wheel drive X you could buy a supercharged Tacoma 4x4 that comes with better suspension than the X, 4 wheel drive, and it even comes with a locker in the rear. And it'll do 0-60 in 8 seconds. You'd spend far more than 6 grand to make an X do 0-60 in 8 seconds and it would still be 2 wheel drive. My oh my boys, I love the X as much as anyone, but the thought of trying to make is fast is soooo laughable. It's fun to dream though ain't it?

#572588 - 01/12/01 07:36 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Todrick Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:

I'll still smoke you since I've been driving since you were born.

i hope to have my truck in proper shape by then...

but the important part here is this:

thank you ian...
after almost two years of debate you finally agree with me... all things being equal...
it is about the driver smile

actually you went a step further... even when one truck has a strong advantage, its all about the driver

#572589 - 01/12/01 07:44 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Todrick Offline

Quote:

Serious damage??? To what? Add a supercharger to an X and give it 40 more horses and what do you get??? Not much. 0-60 in a whopping 10 seconds! Woo hoo! It's 4000 pounds! For that 6000 bucks on top of the price of a two wheel drive X you could buy a supercharged Tacoma 4x4 that comes with better suspension than the X, 4 wheel drive, and it even comes with a locker in the rear. And it'll do 0-60 in 8 seconds. You'd spend far more than 6 grand to make an X do 0-60 in 8 seconds and it would still be 2 wheel drive. My oh my boys, I love the X as much as anyone, but the thought of trying to make is fast is soooo laughable. It's fun to dream though ain't it?

the tacoma goes along the lines of the WRX for me:
-the X looks better
-the Tacoma is not going to meet my "daily" needs like the X... i need the INTERIOR room

seriously this isn't about being the fastest... the point here is what i want to do in my truck is not what most of you want to do... i would like to do 50+mph across dessert trails... Ians X would not do it with out his 32's ripping the hell out of his fenders on the landing the first time he gets airborn...

for what i want/need a 4x4 is not only not necessary but it would cost me more money monthly... more on insurance... and i would still have to put the same mods on it... so in the end the whole deal would be more expensive and not suit my needs/wants any better... plus there would be more part to worry about breaking...

alot of you have heavily modified your trucks to better suit your needs... but those needs are not mine...

i have not, yet... the parts pretty much dont exist, so currently the time/cost/risk of getting the parts custom fab'ed is not worth it... so im waiting...

you here that SLR... I'm waiting wink

[ 12-01-2001: Message edited by: Todrick ]

#572590 - 01/12/01 08:46 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Strom Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by socalpunX:

But like I said, my $6,000 Todrick Edition could do some serious damage!

That was my point exactly! The engine alone on the WRX World Rally Car costs 100,000 Pounds (which is like $150,000). The suspension costs about over $20,000 per corner for a total of well over $80,000.

The idea was that a car like that is EXPENSIVE. The X, with a long-travel suspension, some engine mods, and some good tires can do some fun Prerunning/Baja Style driving. It will cost less in the long run, and will be much more useful around town.

That's my opinion at least. smile

Notice that nowhere did I say that a 2wd is as capable at rockcrawling or general offroading as a 4wd. But, where are you going to get the long-travel suspension for a 4wd? You would be buying new CV joints and axle shafts every week.
All I am saying is that the 2wd has some applications that are more suited to it than to 4wd.

#572591 - 01/12/01 10:29 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Craigs_Tonka Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Quote:
Ians X would not do it with out his 32's ripping the hell out of his fenders on the landing the first time he gets airborn...
Sorry to disagree Todrick, but your inexperience with mods must be corrected. I'm running 32's and have had my X airborn, at least in the front since the rear has much more downward travel. (once by accident and then again on purpose) Granted I'm not running stock suspension, but neither is Ian, in fact up front we are running the same lift but currently he has better torsion bars. The only time 32's even touch anywhere is under full articulated compression in the right rear. It will hit the fuel filler (as predicted by Ian, thanks for the tip). wink

I guess I'm one of the few that runs the middle ground on this debate. I agree that given some money for mods the X can be balanced out much better in suspension and engine performance to do things most would think impossible. If that's your gig, go for it. BUT, I will be one of the first ones to state that a 2x4 will not keep up with a 4x4.

I don't want to fuel the debate or start anything new, but I did want to add my .02 since I have some experience regarding your comments. laugh

In the final analysis, it's all good. Buy, Build, Drive Fast, Rock Crawl, shit do all of the above, as long as it's in a X everythings cool. smile

#572592 - 02/12/01 04:16 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Origami Gangsta Offline

Loc: Dammit! Even CLOSER to Smith a...
I was going to post on this earlier, I just wanted to see how far you pricks could take it.. laugh Craig, you hit it right on the money, I've got nothing left to say..

Except you get a 5 in my book..

#572593 - 02/12/01 09:07 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
gmaxis Offline

Loc: America's Finest city
I'm one of the few (many?) who traded-in their 2x4 for a 4x4 evern before I went off-roading. I never knew how fun it would be and I know a lot of owners who have fun with their 2 wheel drives. But for serious/xtreme/insane off-roading, a 4x4 is the choice. Although there are a few insane drivers in a 2x4 having as much fun if not more, than a completely normal driver in a four wheel drive.

#572594 - 02/12/01 02:10 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Todrick Offline

Quote:

That was my point exactly! The engine alone on the WRX World Rally Car costs 100,000 Pounds (which is like $150,000). The suspension costs about over $20,000 per corner for a total of well over $80,000.

The idea was that a car like that is EXPENSIVE. The X, with a long-travel suspension, some engine mods, and some good tires can do some fun Prerunning/Baja Style driving. It will cost less in the long run, and will be much more useful around town.

That's my opinion at least. smile

Notice that nowhere did I say that a 2wd is as capable at rockcrawling or general offroading as a 4wd. But, where are you going to get the long-travel suspension for a 4wd? You would be buying new CV joints and axle shafts every week.
All I am saying is that the 2wd has some applications that are more suited to it than to 4wd.

i think that was the point... it will be fun on weekends... and still suit my needs and style around town

#572595 - 02/12/01 02:14 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Todrick Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Craigs_Tonka:
Sorry to disagree Todrick, but your inexperience with mods must be corrected

this idea was based on the information that the Fabtech lift, had this happen... with stock fenders it sure seems likely to me... but maybe your right.

but it is more about the fenders than the lift...

Quote:

BUT, I will be one of the first ones to state that a 2x4 will not keep up with a 4x4.

again i didn't say it would... but for what i want to do a 4x4 is not nesecary... or practical

Quote:

In the final analysis, it's all good. Buy, Build, Drive Fast, Rock Crawl, shit do all of the above, as long as it's in a X everythings cool. smile

amen brother

[ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: Todrick ]

#572596 - 02/12/01 06:58 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Strom Offline

Quote:

i think that was the point... it will be fun on weekends... and still suit my needs and style around town

SHEESH....I WAS AGREEING WITH YOU GUYS. smile

#572597 - 03/12/01 09:54 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Jackel Offline

Loc: Glendale, AZ, USA
The WRX is not just for offroad. I race against Gary and he finally got the WRX figured out and won his first race.
http://www.teamsmr.com/html/home.html

#572598 - 03/12/01 10:04 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Todrick Offline

Quote:

SHEESH....I WAS AGREEING WITH YOU GUYS. smile

sorry... you know how the internet does not show inflection in speach... i was saying thanks... and kinda pointing out that the whole idea was lost and i think you nailed it... sorry... i hate that there is no "tone of voice" on the net

#572599 - 03/12/01 04:05 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Strom Offline

Quote:

sorry... you know how the internet does not show inflection in speach... i was saying thanks... and kinda pointing out that the whole idea was lost and i think you nailed it... sorry... i hate that there is no "tone of voice" on the net

No apology needed - notice the smiley at the end of that message. laugh

#572600 - 03/12/01 04:07 PM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
Strom Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Jackel:
The WRX is not just for offroad. I race against Gary and he finally got the WRX figured out and won his first race.
http://www.teamsmr.com/html/home.html

Very true - I just thought that those pictures were more applicable to what we were discussing.
With all-wheel drive and a nice, low center of gravity due to the engine design, it is one mean road car as well.

#572601 - 05/12/01 06:11 AM Re: 4x2 versus 4x4
yellowX Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by bleach:
I have a 4x2 X, 2002. It's great, but I wonder if I should get a 4x4 instead. I would like to do some off-roading, and snow (not much here in OK) stinks.

Does anyone think I should switch? Or does it really matter? Clearly some people prefer a 4x4 over the 4x2, but beyond that, what does anyone think? confused

Bleach,
If you can afford it and you know that you are going to use it, and I mean use it, not just have it because it makes you look good or feel socially acceptable, then go for it.

If I could start all over, I would have gotten the 4x4, but the dealer that I went did not have that many 4WD and was selling them like gold or platinum. So, opting on the $$ side, I went with the 2WD. I know! I know! I should have went else where in town or do some aggressive bargaining. Hey y'all, I'm learning this stuff (wheeling & dealing w/ car salesmen), too!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal