2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#590143 - 08/12/06 03:40 PM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
KJ_dragon Offline

Loc: East Bay, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by airbutchie:
Nismo... If you've got the cash, you may want to purchase, at a minimum, a 1GB card... 2GB would be better... Nonetheless, the 512MB card would probably hold about 507 JPEGS and 109 RAW format pictures... Linky here: [b] Megapixel Calculator

Of course you have to factor in how detailed the picture composition is... But the figure above is probably a "guess-timate" at best...

Lastly, a few pics I took with the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD lens I purchased last month... Enjoy...

Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 - "Flower Power"

- Air B

edit: pictures were taken indoors, at nite, with fluorescent (sp?) lighting, hand held... No flash used... EXIF file is attached to the picture if you want to see the details of the composition...[/b]
Butchie,
Your focus seems soft on these shots. Do you find it difficult for the Tamron to get a good lock? That's always been a shortcoming of Tamron.

#590144 - 08/12/06 06:14 PM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
airbutchie Offline

Loc: Where the freakin' Rose Parade...
It depends on the lighting... Like the flower pictures I posted, the only light in that room was coming from a 60W lightbulb (in a makeshift chandeller) about 6 feet above it... In addition, it's been a tested fact that Tamrons have a little difficulty on focusing in dim lighting situations... I'm sure if the flower arrangement was in sunlight, It wouldn't be so soft... But that's the quirks you get with most lenses... The amount of light we definately have an effect on the picture...

Now here's a little post-processing in PS... Just did a quick "unsharp masking" on the image and the results are shown below:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Any difference? I'd say "yes", but I'll you guys decide... Hhehehheheheh... Still a great lens, though...

- Air B laugh

#590145 - 08/12/06 06:39 PM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
Xorand Offline

Loc: LA (Lower Alabama)
Don't forget, too, that the depth of field in those pictures is a mere fraction of an inch. With the depth of the subject matter, only a small portion of the flowers will be in sharp focus.

The USM doesn't hurt, either.

#590146 - 19/12/06 07:43 PM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
NismoXse02 Offline

Loc: The Woodlands, TX
Just got my wife the Rebel XT courtesy of Dell and coupons making it 25% off. I also got a 120x 2GB CF card from buy.com for $30 using google checkout.

Quick question for those who have this camera... can you use your lcd screen to see what you're taking pictures of instead of looking through the view finder? Right now, we're reading through the manual and haven't come across anything that says you can. This was the first thing I noticed. confused

#590147 - 19/12/06 09:23 PM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
KJ_dragon Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by NismoXse02:

Quick question for those who have this camera... can you use your lcd screen to see what you're taking pictures of instead of looking through the view finder? Right now, we're reading through the manual and haven't come across anything that says you can. This was the first thing I noticed. confused
No.

There are several reasons why a DSLR will not do that.

1) There is a mirror between the sensor and the lens. This mirror allows the viewfinder to work. When the mirror is in the down position, it blocks the line of sight between the lens and the sensor.

2) the sensor is off when not taking an image. That ensures that it doesnt heatup. A "hot" sensor will produce more noise.

3) Its usually better to actually put your eye actually up to the viewfinder. This allows you to compose better shots thru the viewfinder and your cheek acts as a stabilizer for less camera shake. How many times do you see people holding a digital camera at arms length and then complain about blury photos? Well duh..... your hands will be more stable the closer you hold them to your body. The "nose stabilizer" rules!

4) Speed. Ever wonder why a standard p&s camera has such a long delay from the time you press the button to the time it actually takes the shot. Ever miss a shot because of this lag? Notice that your new DSLR has almost NO lag whatsoever?

To date, only one DSLR can have a real-time running LCD. That is the Olympus evolt. It dodges #1 and #2 cause it has TWO sensors. One for real-time preview on the LCD and one to actually take the photo.

REad this for a better explanation: http://www.xanga.com/PhotoSavant/358046048/item.html

Also - you will notice that your DSLR, does not record videos like a cheap P&S can. This is because the sensor is "off" when not taking pics.

One more thing....

Quote:
The single-lens reflex (SLR) is a type of camera that uses a movable mirror placed between the lens and the film to project the image seen through the lens to a matte focusing screen. Most SLRs use a roof pentaprism or pentamirror to observe the image via an eyepiece,
Quote:
The cross-section (side-view) of the optical components of an SLR shows how the light passes through the lens assembly (1), is reflected by the mirror (2) and is projected on the matte focusing screen (5). Via a condensing lens (6) and internal reflections in the roof pentaprism (7) the image appears in the eyepiece (8). When an image is taken, the mirror moves in the direction of the arrow, the focal plane shutter (3) opens, and the image is projected onto the film or sensor (4) in exactly the same manner as on the focusing screen.

This feature separates SLRs from other cameras, as the photographer sees the image composed exactly as it will be captured on the film or sensor (see Advantages below).
Source: wikipedia

#590148 - 19/12/06 09:37 PM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
NismoXse02 Offline

Thanks for the explanation KJ. All good stuff to know. We will obviously be using the viewfinder, I was just wondering if there was a way to use the lcd in case we were taking some quick pictures. It's not that important, but glad I didn't worry about trying to figure it out since it doesn't exist. Thanks again. [Wave]

#590149 - 20/12/06 07:15 AM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
NismoXse02 Offline

BTW, do you have any tripod recommendations for the Rebel XT? Nothing expensive, but something that's durable, gets the job done and won't break/fall apart.

#590150 - 20/12/06 07:44 AM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Bogen 718B Digi Tripod

(I'd never touch anything available at Wal-Mart/Best Buy/etc - meaning Velbon, Sunpak, etc)
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#590151 - 20/12/06 09:47 AM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
KJ_dragon Offline

I'd stick with anying Bogen, Manfrotto and Slik.

I 2nd Mobycat about staying away from anything at Walmart, Best Buy, etc.

I've been using a Dynatran I purchased from ebay 2 years ago. I wanted something durable and "pro" level with a grip head, but I didn't want to spend hundreds on a pro tripod.

http://www.amvona.com/v7/shop/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=2340

Dynatrans are a knockoff brand, that sells for 1/3 the cost of the pro brands. They wouldn't hold up to pro level abuse (I'm sure), but work just fine for an enthusiast like me.

I also have owned a Slik U8000 since the late 90's. I picked it up at my local camera store (since bought out by wolf camera). I'd recommend this slik. It's light, fairly portable and good quality. Good price too - I see it's selling for around $40 at the moment.

http://www.adorama.com/SLU8000.html?sid=1166636976516767

#590152 - 20/12/06 10:00 AM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
Mobycat Offline

Hey KJ, I got a new toy for Xmas from the GF. I can put away the D100. I now have a spanking brand new D80! Woohoo!
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#590153 - 20/12/06 10:51 AM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
KJ_dragon Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat:
Hey KJ, I got a new toy for Xmas from the GF. I can put away the D100. I now have a spanking brand new D80! Woohoo!
Nice gift! I want a D80 to replace my D70. Same guts as the D200, but jammed into a D70 size.

How is the built quality difference? The D100 is supposed to be more stout and "pro" durability whereas the D80 is comsumer level. Do you notice any difference in quality and construction?

I asked Carlton once which he prefers and he said he would rather get a used D100 than a current D80. Even though the D80 has newer tech, the D100 is just built better.

#590154 - 20/12/06 11:06 AM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
Mobycat Offline

Not sure. I've actually not had time to play with it. Going to tonight.

A couple small things out of the box I prefer:

D80 - multiple exposure, color rendition (more saturated - personal preference)

D100 - mechanical bulb capable

(Now I *really* don't need the N6006 I have. I also have an FM10 (plastic galore). I'll probably hold on to the FM10, simply because it doesn't need any batteries to operate, should I be stupid enough to run through an EL3 (if it's even possible with the shooting I do).

#590155 - 20/12/06 11:20 AM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
KJ_dragon Offline

Quote:
should I be stupid enough to run through an EL3 (if it's even possible with the shooting I do).
Go pickup a generic brand backup battery on ebay for a few bucks.

#590156 - 20/12/06 11:23 AM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
KJ_dragon Offline

Quote:
N

D100 - mechanical bulb capable
My D70 takes an IR based remote in the place of the cable release. That's how I do "bulb" shots. Press the remote once to open the shutter and use some manual timer (aka. stop watch) and then press it again to shut the shutter when the time has passed. I read somewhere that since its IR based, you could grab any universal TV remote and set it to the proper frequency and use that too. I'm not sure, but I think your D80 might have that "bonus feature" too.

The remote is great for group shots when you want to be in the shot too.

#590157 - 20/12/06 01:12 PM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just picked up a Canon 20D.

Came with these lenses:
Canon 18-55mm F3.5-F5.6
Sigma 70-300mm F5.6

So far my best shot is this one with the set up I've gotten.

I'm really enjoying my camera but want to learn so much more about it. The manual is...ok...but if you don't understand what they're talking about...you have no clue.

I saw the link for the canon forums and registered, there will be a lot of time spent on there reading and learning.

#590158 - 20/12/06 08:11 PM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
Xorand Offline

Excellent pic, Cornick. It works so well in B/W, too.

I've kinda been shopping around for a slightly used 20D so I can relegate my Digital Rebel (300D) to backup status.

Probably won't be until spring/summer now, though. Kid in college, all that stuff.

#590159 - 22/12/06 10:30 AM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
sonnyc Offline

Loc: SJ, CA.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cornick:
[QB]I just picked up a Canon 20D.

Came with these lenses:
Canon 18-55mm F3.5-F5.6
Sigma 70-300mm F5.6

Nice camera. I have the same one for a year and 1/2 now and love it.

You can pick up an extra battery at Sterlingtek for cheap.
Just use code SH123FREE for free shipping if you pick up 3 or more.
http://sterlingtek.stores.yahoo.net/ln03-canon-bp-511-dlc511.html

I echo airbutchie's comment on the Tokina 12-24. Great lens, even though I don't use it much but when I do, it's really fun. Lens collection is getting me broke smile

btw, I'm on POTN too as 4x4rock.

Here's a pic with the 12-24

#590160 - 22/12/06 12:12 PM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow its so funny to read this post...sounds like what I just went through the past months since I had my Canon G6 for 2 years and decided to upgrade to a Dslr. Looked hard at the new Canon Xti, but decided to drop a lil more cash on the Nikon D80 for some better features and over quality I feel. And the lens is the reason I went with Nikon and not Canon.

I got the D80 for $929 and then went with the AMAZING 18-200mm Nikkor lens ($899 alone for the lens too, ouch!) I know the price is high, but I did this instead of buying 2 or 3 different pieces of glass which would add up to the same price I feel. Best thing is (since my hands shake a lot) it has VR - i.e. "Vibration Reduction" and really helps when Im shooting without a tripod (which is often).

Only had it two weeks now, but messing around with it...just shot this pic below yesterday of my antenna topper with the new D80.

Happy Holidays!

P.S. - I bought my old G6 and my new D80 through: www.buydig.com

It shipped super fast and they have pretty decent prices (I dont get anything for promoting them, trust me...but I just know they are top notch the 2 times I ordered from them). Ritz camera etc will charge more if you just want the warm and fuzzy feeling of knowing you can take it right back to the brick and mortar store, but I wanted to save some $$ since the damn lens cost as much as the camera! wink

I know there are a lot of Canon fans here, but two great write-ups of the D80 and the 18-200mm VR lens are here:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d80.htm

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18200.htm

All my daily pics below for 2006 (in my sig website below) were with my Canon G6...that camera isn't small either, but it does rock!

Sorry for the longer post, Im just happy not to the the only photo geek that drives an Xterra laugh haha

#590161 - 22/12/06 12:23 PM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
01SalsaXterra Offline

Loc: Suffolk County,NY,USA
Quote:
I've kinda been shopping around for a slightly used 20D so I can relegate my Digital Rebel (300D) to backup status.

Probably won't be until spring/summer now, though. Kid in college, all that stuff.
B&H has a bunch of really cheap lightly used 20D's and even a 30D for under $1k.
If you are looking to spend just over $1k, then look into a used 1D.
Best photography purchase I've made so far..

Anyone interested in a lightly used D60 with battery grip? smile I dont need a backup.

I got "IT" from ebay.
Now it burns when I pee..

#590162 - 22/12/06 04:11 PM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by sonnyc:
[QB][QUOTE]Originally posted by cornick:
[QB]I just picked up a Canon 20D.

Came with these lenses:
Canon 18-55mm F3.5-F5.6
Sigma 70-300mm F5.6

Nice camera. I have the same one for a year and 1/2 now and love it.

You can pick up an extra battery at Sterlingtek for cheap.
Just use code SH123FREE for free shipping if you pick up 3 or more.
http://sterlingtek.stores.yahoo.net/ln03-canon-bp-511-dlc511.html

I echo airbutchie's comment on the Tokina 12-24. Great lens, even though I don't use it much but when I do, it's really fun. Lens collection is getting me broke smile

btw, I'm on POTN too as 4x4rock.

Here's a pic with the 12-24

I have an extra one. But how can those things be $12? I should get a couple extra because I want to buy the grip as well.

And oh yea, I'm on that board as well as well the only screen name I've had.... cornick smile

#590163 - 22/12/06 05:46 PM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
Xorand Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by 01SalsaXterra:
If you are looking to spend just over $1k, then look into a used 1D.
That's my other option, and another reason why I haven't pulled the trigger on a 20D/30D yet.

#590164 - 22/12/06 06:18 PM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
sonnyc Offline

Loc: SJ, CA.
Originally posted by cornick:
I have an extra one. But how can those things be $12? I should get a couple extra because I want to buy the grip as well.

And oh yea, I'm on that board as well as well the only screen name I've had.... cornick smile

Yeah I was surprise how cheap they are too compare to the Canon.

With 2000mA, there's a lot of juice. I've been using it for about 100 shots so far without issues. Super fast free shipping with USPS too.

I also have the grip and with 2 of these, I can go all day.

#590165 - 23/12/06 07:18 AM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
airbutchie Offline

Loc: Where the freakin' Rose Parade...
Wow... This thread has grown in the past several days... I'm really glad to see the "Photogs" come out in our XOC family... Whether it's Nikon or Canon, we are all after the same thing... A great picture to share with everyone... I'm sure we'll start seeing quite a few Christmas pics from our dSLR toys... I know I'll be posting a few... Hehehheehe...

- Air B laugh

PS. Cornick, I replied to your email... Check it out when you've get a chance... PEACE!!

#590166 - 23/12/06 08:04 AM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
Xorand Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by airbutchie:
I'm really glad to see the "Photogs" come out in our XOC family... Whether it's Nikon or Canon, we are all after the same thing... A great picture to share with everyone...
x2

While we're at it, if you have an on-line gallery anywhere, post a link (I know some folks have a link in their profile, so indicate if so).

Here\'s Mine

#590167 - 24/12/06 01:43 AM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
KJ_dragon Offline

here is mines:: http://www.kjdragon.smugmug.com/

[shameless plug] Open your own smugmug Account! Use my referral Code 55dPrGid0hKYc and get $5 off your initial subscription fee!! {end shameless plug]

Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal