Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#59673 - 20/12/02 01:28 AM Yakama Ski/Snowboard Racks
OSUX Offline

Loc: Corvallis, Oregon
[Crybaby] I just got a new set of the Yakima Ski/Snowboard racks as an early christmas present and attached them with the Mighty Mounts from xterraparts.com my Question is this. I noticed that the racks themselves can be easily removed from the mighty mounts via removal of a wing nut this makes me think that they can be easily stolen. Has anyone had theres stolen? Do you know how to get around this problem? What is it that you have done to fix it?

#59674 - 20/12/02 04:42 AM Re: Yakama Ski/Snowboard Racks
monkeyman Offline

Loc: raleigh_nc
when the rack is locked you cannot turn the wing nut, hence it cannot be removed, at least that easily

#59675 - 20/12/02 05:23 AM Re: Yakama Ski/Snowboard Racks
xcanuk Offline

Loc: Mtl. Que. Canada
True, only if you have the core locks.... but they can always take the whole crossbar. (If they have the right sized torx screwdriver)
FYI, if you're interest, I made a simple mod that allows you to tilt the powderhounds down when not in use. The "final" version isn't done, but the principle design works. Powder Mod

#59676 - 20/12/02 07:01 AM Re: Yakama Ski/Snowboard Racks
monkeyman Offline

Loc: raleigh_nc
true.....and they can also steal your truck if they want to....there's only so much you can do....just curious, why would you get the rack without the locks?

#59677 - 20/12/02 08:49 AM Re: Yakama Ski/Snowboard Racks
MHSlash Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
Everybody may already know this but about Yakracks...my big powderhound did not come with lock cores...I had to purchase them separately in a six pack. I think they are moving heavily with this SameKeySystem (SKS) so that every yakima part you own can lock with the same key provided you have enough matching lock cores...I now have my load warrior and ski rack all locking using the same key.

#59678 - 20/12/02 09:00 AM Re: Yakama Ski/Snowboard Racks
KJ_dragon Offline

Loc: East Bay, CA
I bought an 8-pack set so all my yakima gear can be locked using one key. (many bike racks, ski racks and the lock housing that will lock to the mighty mount)

If you are really worried, get one of these:

**Yakima Lock Housing can be found here**

Buyt like Xcanuk said, if they had a torx wrench or similar tool - they could just take your entire cross bar off pretty easily.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal