Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 155 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#602567 - 11/06/08 06:39 AM Re: BMW GINA Light Visionary Model - Fabric instead of sheetmetal...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by fog:
Quote:
Originally posted by 20001frontier:
[b]hardened khorium.
nerd.

What server?[/b]
Teranas. Although I have not played in about a year. Had to give it up, as it was taking over my life. I do miss it a lot though still. frown

#602568 - 11/06/08 07:00 AM Re: BMW GINA Light Visionary Model - Fabric instead of sheetmetal...
TravelingFool Offline

Loc: Prior Lake, MN
Nobody has told me yet, who's going to clean it when I spill coffee on it, or when the local 14 year old writes "GAY" on it with a Sharpie...

The liver is evil, and must be punished...

#602569 - 11/06/08 07:38 AM Re: BMW GINA Light Visionary Model - Fabric instead of sheetmetal...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Some of you seem to miss the meaning and the point of a concept car.

Cool idea, and it would go through at least another half dozen (more likely 10-15) revisions before it was ever released to the public, and it would be a drastically different machine by then. That's the nature of concept vehicles [Freak]

#602570 - 11/06/08 07:40 AM Re: BMW GINA Light Visionary Model - Fabric instead of sheetmetal...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TravelingFool:
Nobody has told me yet, who's going to clean it when I spill coffee on it, or when the local 14 year old writes "GAY" on it with a Sharpie...
Maybe they'll make it out of that stain defender stuff Haggar uses for their pants. Wrinkle-free and no stains.

Remember that we're assuming it'll be fabric and not some sort of flexible plastic.

#602571 - 11/06/08 08:51 AM Re: BMW GINA Light Visionary Model - Fabric instead of sheetmetal...
Saline Offline

Loc: Fruita , CO
I think it's a cool idea, very innovative. Anyone with half a brain or even basic knowledge should know that a modern passenger vehicles body panels do little or nothing for structural integrity.

#602572 - 11/06/08 09:23 AM Re: BMW GINA Light Visionary Model - Fabric instead of sheetmetal...
XPLORx4 Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Saline:
I think it's a cool idea, very innovative. Anyone with half a brain or even basic knowledge should know that a modern passenger vehicles body panels do little or nothing for structural integrity.
x2. Notice how this unibody is missing it's "skin"

#602573 - 11/06/08 10:00 AM Re: BMW GINA Light Visionary Model - Fabric instead of sheetmetal...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Unless you can provide back-up for that, I'm going to call shenanigans. Used to work on jets for the USAF (reservist) and the skin does provide a structural component - much more so in jets than in cars, but the concepts the same. They provide overall structural rigidity (think about all the extra bracing needed in a convertible), block against intrusion from outside objects, as well as absorb portions of the energy during a crash. This isn't to say that the vehicle in question couldn't do that, they'd just do it with something other than the skin - maybe panels and the like that don't show, but provide support for the internal workings.

#602574 - 11/06/08 10:10 AM Re: BMW GINA Light Visionary Model - Fabric instead of sheetmetal...
PDXterra Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
I disagree, and I have half a brain AND basic knowledge. Ha!

The unibody frames these days rely on panels either bolted or spot-welded to the skeleton to create the structural integrity. It's the same concept as a house - the studs provide the frame, but it's actually the plywood that provides the sheathing and strength.

At least that's what I think... smile

#602575 - 11/06/08 12:43 PM Re: BMW GINA Light Visionary Model - Fabric instead of sheetmetal...
NY Madman Offline

Loc: Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by fog:

Not surpising considering the idiots who comprise our government.

Anyway, you are derailing this thread, get back to the parts where you didn't pay attention to the video and don't have any common sense about physics, it was more entertaining.

No where did I state the car was practical. It's innovative, and like innovative concepts before it, parts of it may show up on production cars in the future. Just like headlights that turn, cars that lower themselves at speed to decrease drag coefficient, cars with (holy shit) cruise control, cars with navigation systems. All things once deemed impractical, impossible or dangerous.

Go back to living in your miserable sheltered world of searching the internet so you can fool people into thinking you're informed about the world around you. Fucking hermit.
You need to lighten up Ian. Just because I said the vehicle was dangerous gets you angry. The vehicle is dangerous and nothing like this will ever see the light of day.

Sure, it might be innovative, but innovative doesn't always equate to being a good thing.

We disagree on this particular concept. No need to get angry and testy. I'd hate to see you blow a gasket before your AARP card arrives in the mail.

#602576 - 11/06/08 03:37 PM Re: BMW GINA Light Visionary Model - Fabric instead of sheetmetal...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yep fabric panels will never make it.

[img]http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/protopaccessories_2006_65291261[/img]

#602577 - 11/06/08 08:47 PM Re: BMW GINA Light Visionary Model - Fabric instead of sheetmetal...
Saline Offline

Loc: Fruita , CO
I suppose the panels do provide structural support in some vehicles. I was just thinking more along the lines of when we cut cars apart to extricate victims. The panels are usually the least of our worries,we cut the supports. A,B,C posts,footwell & kick panel,hinges,naterpins, dashboards,steering colums and the like. The "skin" is not the guts or support for the structural part of the car.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal