Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 155 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#613736 - 01/02/08 06:19 AM Re: plane on conveyor belt
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Someone on a local 4x4 board asked a related question: Could a helicopter take off from a turntable rotating at the same RPM as the blades but in the opposite direction?

I say, discounting the tail rotor, the answer is no. The blades would be stationary in relation to the ground, therefore not moving through the air to create lift. The net effect would be the same as if you held the blades and spun up the turbine: the copter would spin under the blades.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#613737 - 01/02/08 06:29 AM Re: plane on conveyor belt
NY Madman Offline

Loc: Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
Someone on a local 4x4 board asked a related question: Could a helicopter take off from a turntable rotating at the same RPM as the blades but in the opposite direction?
The helicopter wouldn't be able to stay on a turntable that moved as fast as the blades. It would be thrown off, so in essence it is a moot point.

But, if it could stay on a turntable moving at such a rapid velocity, yes, it probably would be able to take off.

#613738 - 01/02/08 06:35 AM Re: plane on conveyor belt
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul H:
Never have I said the plane gets thrust from wheels. I said the tires would blow.

And while a 747 can produce enough thrust to take off with no wheels it would not happen.

And this is why the debate continues.
Paul, you're right if it were a plane that required a high enough takeoff speed the tires would explode and the plane would be destroyed. But the myth says "a plane" not every plane laugh

#613739 - 01/02/08 06:35 AM Re: plane on conveyor belt
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Never have I said the plane gets thrust from wheels. I said the tires would blow.

And while a 747 can produce enough thrust to take off with no wheels it would not happen.

Actually the debate does not continue. Dumbasses like you continue to embarass themselves.
[Freak]

This has always been a High School Physics I question. Sorry if you missed the class. [Huh?]

#613740 - 01/02/08 08:35 AM Re: plane on conveyor belt
XPLORx4 Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by TravelingFool:
Quote:
Originally posted by XPLORx4:
[b]Note that F1 cars blah blah blah... friction... blah...
It's apples and oranges to compare cars and planes in this scenario.[/b]
Hahaha! You clearly did not read my full post, instead inserting "blah blah" where you chose to ignore the point I was trying to make. :rolleyes:

#613741 - 01/02/08 05:03 PM Re: plane on conveyor belt
Paul H Offline

Loc: Mt. Zion, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffW:
Quote:
[b]Never have I said the plane gets thrust from wheels. I said the tires would blow.

Actually the debate does not continue. Dumbasses like you continue to embarass themselves.
[Freak]

This has always been a High School Physics I question. Sorry if you missed the class. [Huh?] [/b]
Explain how I am embarassing myself? Really do you even read my posts? Someone has already agreed with me that is on your side. So piss off geek

#613742 - 01/02/08 05:05 PM Re: plane on conveyor belt
Paul H Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ChefTyler:
Quote:
[b]Never have I said the plane gets thrust from wheels. I said the tires would blow.

Paul, you're right if it were a plane that required a high enough takeoff speed the tires would explode and the plane would be destroyed. But the myth says "a plane" not every plane laugh [/b]
Thank you. All I suspected was my theory was possible on a bigger plane. I will hush now as oto not offend Jeffsucksdicks

#613743 - 01/02/08 07:10 PM Re: plane on conveyor belt
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:

Paul, you're right if it were a plane that required a high enough takeoff speed the tires would explode and the plane would be destroyed. But the myth says "a plane" not every plane laugh [/b]
Thank you. All I suspected was my theory was possible on a bigger plane. I will hush now as oto not offend Jeffsucksdicks[/b]
You don't offend me. You make me laugh. Even large plane wheels are unlikely to explode. The reason is that the wheels/tires are rated well over operational requirements. They can easily survive extreme cicumstances such as double speed because of a factor of safety is built in.

At the end of the day none of that matters. The question is a Physics I problem. Speculation about the wheels or tires is just a distraction introduced by those too ignorant to understand the fundamentals of this simple question.

#613744 - 01/02/08 08:41 PM Re: plane on conveyor belt
Rockaholic Offline

Loc: Reading, MA
Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
Interesting...tht got me thinking if the turntable was spinning but the rotor isn't, would the Hellicopter lift off of the turntable if it matched the rpms of the rotor at takeoff?

Great, now we have something else for Mythbusters to test, and have people still argue over anyways. :rolleyes:

#613745 - 02/02/08 02:01 PM Re: plane on conveyor belt
XPLORx4 Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Rockaholic:
if the turntable was spinning but the rotor isn't, would the Hellicopter lift off of the turntable if it matched the rpms of the rotor at takeoff?
Probably, but as soon as it left the turntable, it would come back down, since the turntable (external to the helicopter) was the source of power.

#613746 - 02/02/08 05:44 PM Re: plane on conveyor belt
Paul H Offline

Jeff you are a complete idiot you have now proven yourself. Aircraft tires while designed to be tougher than regular tires are still rated for speed. It amazes me you think the tires can handle double the speed they are rated for. I in my theory of why a large plane would not fly on this myth even gave the tires to well over four times what they were rated at before failing. Here is a link for military and large aircraft tires. Note the speed rating. The tires are built strong for the shock of landing. Not to drive 500 miles per hour.

Jeff is a fucking arrogant asshole

I understand the plane will move. I understand the physics as to why the plane will move. I have never ever debated that. I simply posted another theory to the original question in which a large plane requiring a longer acceleration and how I felt it would fail. Never said it wouldn't move. Just said it would not take off. The tires would fail and no matter how powerful the engines were if the tires failed soon the landing gear would and the plane would not take of due to that or running out of runway. it is that simple I am not making it complicated or trying to hold on to the plane not flying. You are too hell bent on being some kind of god in your own eyes who gets off on calling people idiots to probably understand. It is ok. They make medicine for your condition. It is called go fuck yourself. it can be found at Walgreens for 19.95.

#613747 - 02/02/08 08:02 PM Re: plane on conveyor belt
Anonymous
Unregistered

"They make medicine for your condition. It is called go fuck yourself."

[LOL] [LOL] Classic. Noted for future use.

#613748 - 02/02/08 08:53 PM Re: plane on conveyor belt
Rockaholic Offline

Just a thought, Paul, because you are hung up on the wheels failing -

In the original scenario the plane (of no specific type) is sitting on a treadmill of infinite length.

So why are you hung up on the practical problem of the tire rating but choose to totally ignore the pratical problem that the treadmill in the scenario can never exist, because the belt for the treadmill would have to be twice the length of the treadmill, and since 2x infinity can only equal infinity if 2 is equal to 1 (which it isn't) the treadmill in the scenario will never really exist.

If you want to nitpick, why don't you assume the plane is a wooden antique which has been exposed to the elements and termites and which, because fo the structural damage from time and exposure, preceeds to fall apart from the engine vibrations?

Yes, in the real world, the tires might fail before the plane takes flight, but that's really not the essense of the myth.

#613749 - 03/02/08 07:19 AM Re: plane on conveyor belt
Paul H Offline

Oh I agree that the treadmill would never exist. Just was thinking out loud to myself about the myth when in the 70 page thread and posed my theory. If it was possible to make that treadmill and possible to give it as much power as I could fathom then my theory works out. Then Jeff pissed me off with his I am a god hear me roar this is physics I am smarter than you etc etc when I was not even really debating the original myth. So I decided to dive into it a bit for a bit more fun.

I am not really hung up on the wheels in the original myth. Maybe again if I had unlimited power to ramp that treadmill up to 10,000 miles per hour to try and make the wheels fail because I agree it wouldn't make the plane stop moving in the original or my side thoery it may make even a smaller plane's wheels fail but again not possible to even do that.

Alright enough fun

#613750 - 03/02/08 07:21 AM Re: plane on conveyor belt
TK1 Offline

Loc: Taylorsville, UT
Man you guys need to get a hobby... [Finger] wink

Got paint?

#613751 - 03/02/08 07:25 AM Re: plane on conveyor belt
Paul H Offline

XOC is my hobby lol

#613752 - 03/02/08 09:45 AM Re: plane on conveyor belt
Rockaholic Offline

What if we put a hobby on a treadmill...? wink

#613753 - 03/02/08 10:06 AM Re: plane on conveyor belt
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Then it would probably take the fuck off if it had a Propeller or Jet Engine strapped to it. laugh

#613754 - 03/02/08 10:15 AM Re: plane on conveyor belt
Paul H Offline

Quote:
[Spit]

#613755 - 03/02/08 10:24 AM Re: plane on conveyor belt
TK1 Offline

Loc: Taylorsville, UT
Why don't you just disassemble the conveyor belt and turn it into a giant winch. That would keep the plane from taking off for sure (assuming the conveyor belt / winch is properly anchored with pylons driven into bedrock). [Freak]

Got paint?

#613756 - 03/02/08 05:21 PM Re: plane on conveyor belt
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Quote:
Originally posted by XPLORx4:
Quote:
[b] if the turntable was spinning but the rotor isn't, would the Hellicopter lift off of the turntable if it matched the rpms of the rotor at takeoff?
Probably, but as soon as it left the turntable, it would come back down, since the turntable (external to the helicopter) was the source of power.[/b]
Yes, but if that helicopter had wheels like an office chair...
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#613757 - 07/02/08 07:05 AM Re: plane on conveyor belt
Anonymous
Unregistered

Holyshit. Another excuse to use this? I cant believe it!

BUSTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe we need to use the BULLSHITDYNO too?? (hinthint)

[Finger] MGJ

#613758 - 08/02/08 06:42 AM Re: plane on conveyor belt
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
.....It is ok. They make medicine for your condition. It is called go fuck yourself. it can be found at Walgreens for 19.95.
20 bucks, huh? Sounds like a ripoff.

I think the reason we're not agreeing is because we are thinking of different types of planes. This is my plane:

#613759 - 08/02/08 07:10 AM Re: plane on conveyor belt
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffW:
Quote:
[b] .....It is ok. They make medicine for your condition. It is called go fuck yourself. it can be found at Walgreens for 19.95.
20 bucks, huh? Sounds like a ripoff.

I think the reason we're not agreeing is because we are thinking of different types of planes. This is my plane:

[/b]
Jeff, you have a reading comprehension problem. Or maybe it's just you being an ass and pushing buttons for the fun of it...I don't know or care, but...READ CAREFULLY WHAT I HAVE WRITTEN BELOW.

In the confines of the riddle, the plane flies.

Using a real world plane, with a fictitious conveyor belt runway, the tires blow, the plane doesn't fly.

#613760 - 08/02/08 01:10 PM Re: plane on conveyor belt
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Using a real world plane, with a fictitious conveyor belt runway, the tires blow, the plane doesn't fly.[/QB]
Did you even watch the mythbusters episode? Some planes may have tire issues, but others can undoubtedly take off (on a simulated treadmill). I don't understand why this is still a debate. [Huh?]

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal