shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 43 1 2 3 ... 42 43 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#617075 - 27/12/06 10:35 PM Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
MidnightX Offline

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida
...so post something interesting by tomorrow morning.

GO!

#617076 - 28/12/06 12:02 AM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
Anonymous
Unregistered

here you go just for you fabuliziouis..

It is prob. a repost but its still worth a good laught.. Linky

#617077 - 28/12/06 01:12 AM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
Anonymous
Unregistered

How about this.....lets see if this can get to the ALR:

A plane is standing on a runway that can move (like a giant conveyor
belt). This conveyor has a control system that tracks the plane's
speed and tunes the speed of the conveyor to be exactly the same (but
in the opposite direction).

Will the plane be able to take off?

#617078 - 28/12/06 03:22 AM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
MidnightX Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawk:

Is the answer offensive? Is that why it could end up in the ALR? I say yes it can take off because it will still be able to reach maximum speed. But then again, it won't have that forward momentum it needs because it would be stuck in the same place. Does it really need that forward momentum, though? Hmm... this seems scientific. I should be a physics major to understand this, no? Too complicated.

NEXT INTERESTING POST, please!

Sincerely,
A Fan of Hootus'

#617079 - 28/12/06 03:27 AM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
Paul H Offline

Loc: Mt. Zion, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawk:

No there would never be any wind going over the wings. In essence the plane would be standing still?

The wheels would be going. But no wind means no lift.

God I hope that sounds right

#617080 - 28/12/06 04:07 AM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
Anonymous
Unregistered

The plane would take off. It should even travel down the runway, no matter how fast the treadmill spun.

An aircraft pushes air, not pavement (or tread). The wheels would just spin at twice the normal rate.

#617081 - 28/12/06 04:35 AM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
Anonymous
Unregistered

yea, the jets would push it fwd, but the wheels would be spinning backwards. hope he doesnt have to use the brakes to keep it straight. i guess it also depends on the plane too. i'll have to email that to the aerospace engineers i use to work with and see what they say.

#617082 - 28/12/06 04:49 AM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Yeah - the jets push air...and the tires are merely supporting the weight, not providing propulsion....so the tread mill would make the tires spin at double the ground speed....due to the conveyor MATCHING the plane's speed...IE: IF the plane isn't moving, the conveyor isn't moving.

Assuming that the conveyor matches the gound speed, the tires would not go backwards...as by "opposite direction", it seems to mean that its merely moving akin to a tread mill, towards the front of the plane, as the plane is trying to move forward....so the plane would never be moved backwards from a rest (No thrust) either.

The tires would just be rolling at double their normal take off speed, as the conveyor is MATCHING the speed of the PLANE...so as far as the tires are concerned, the tarmac is rolling along under them at double the plane's speed....whatever THAT is.

If "Opposite" means that it would push the plane FOWARD if it wasn't MATCHING the plane's speed...(Like a tread mill where the tread is coming from behind you, instead of the normal travel TOWARDS you, then it would not spin the tires backwards or fowards from a normal take off....but that makes no sense in this context...as its the plane's speed that is being matched, not the tire speed...IE: The tires would not roll at all. laugh

Steering/braking would of course be crazy, but, assuming the question is really to differentiate between able to move forward or not, I'd go with yes, it could take off from a propulsion standpoint...as the jets don't need tires to roll, skids or pontoons work for planes too.

laugh

IE: It would be able to take off as far as propulsion goes....the tire speed is irrelevant...but just double the airspeed.

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#617083 - 28/12/06 04:52 AM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
Anonymous
Unregistered

The plane takes off.

The engines push the plane, the wheels don't.

#617084 - 28/12/06 05:17 AM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
Anonymous
Unregistered

Timmy's parents had 3 children. The first was named Quarter, the second named Dime. What was the third childs name?

#617085 - 28/12/06 05:37 AM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
Rickster43 Offline

Loc: San Antonio,Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by DBAX:
Timmy's parents had 3 children. The first was named Quarter, the second named Dime. What was the third childs name?
Nickel...

"The Universe without Music would be Madness"...

#617086 - 28/12/06 05:45 AM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by DBAX:
Timmy.

#617087 - 28/12/06 05:58 AM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
Anonymous
Unregistered

penny. which would make him a few cents short of a nickel.

#617088 - 28/12/06 05:58 AM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
Anonymous
Unregistered

The engines may indeed push the plane, but if the plane is on a conveyor belt moving in the opposite direction at the same speed that the engines are pushing the plane, it's still not gonna go anywhere. Unless it's a harrier jump jet - British Engineering can overcome this scenario smile

Me and my friend at work have been arguing about one of these kinda things for a few weeks now.

He says that if you fire a bullet from a gun perfectly level with the ground, then drop a bullet from the same height at the same time, both will hit the ground at the same time, as the Gravitational pull on both bullets is the same.

I call Bullshit as the aerodynamic flow over the bullet and the velocity of the bullet has to play into it somewhere.

#617089 - 28/12/06 06:15 AM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by RiNkY:
The engines may indeed push the plane, but if the plane is on a conveyor belt moving in the opposite direction at the same speed that the engines are pushing the plane, it's still not gonna go anywhere. Unless it's a harrier jump jet - British Engineering can overcome this scenario smile

Me and my friend at work have been arguing about one of these kinda things for a few weeks now.

He says that if you fire a bullet from a gun perfectly level with the ground, then drop a bullet from the same height at the same time, both will hit the ground at the same time, as the Gravitational pull on both bullets is the same.

I call Bullshit as the aerodynamic flow over the bullet and the velocity of the bullet has to play into it somewhere.
The bullet that was just dropped would hit the ground first.

#617090 - 28/12/06 06:24 AM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
Paul H Offline

Loc: Mt. Zion, IL
I think what he meant to say is hold it horizontal to the ground not aim it at the ground.

That could make sense.

But I still hold true to the plane taking off. It is all about getting lift. If the runway is moving the plane will never gain speed even if the engines are pushing it. Speed causes air to flow over the wing causing lift etc.

My opinion anyway

#617091 - 28/12/06 06:31 AM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul H:
I think what he meant to say is hold it horizontal to the ground not aim it at the ground.

That could make sense.

But I still hold true to the plane taking off. It is all about getting lift. If the runway is moving the plane will never gain speed even if the engines are pushing it. Speed causes air to flow over the wing causing lift etc.

My opinion anyway
Yea I edited my post. I also agree that the plane would not take off. If I am reading the question correctly the plane is standing still since it's going the same speed as the treadmill. The plane still needs air to flow over the wings to cause lift. The plane would have to be travelling twice as fast as the treadmill before taking off.

F1 teams that test there cars in wind tunnels usually put the car on a "treadmill" to simulate speed since aerodynamics differ between a stationary car and a car that is moving (obviously these are open wheeled cars). If you just leave the "treadmill" on and take away the wind in the tunnel you would not get any readings on the downforce of the front and rear wings since no wind is acting on the wings.

#617092 - 28/12/06 06:41 AM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
MidnightX Offline

This thread got boring REALLY fast.

#617093 - 28/12/06 06:43 AM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
Anonymous
Unregistered

The plane takes off.

The engines are on the WINGS. Wheels just spin.

CO4x4.org thread

#617094 - 28/12/06 06:58 AM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
Anonymous
Unregistered

Air Speed vs Ground Speed.

The plane is in 1 place, even if it's going 1,000mph Ground Speed because the runway is travelling at the same speed in the opposite direction. There is no lift being generated by the flow of air over the wings, because there is no flow of air over the wings - The plane with regards to the air around it is standing perfectly still. 0mph Air Speed.

That's the way my brain sees it anyway! smile

What happens when you strap a car to a Dyno - There isn't any air flowing over the car, why would anyone think the car would take off if it had wings strapped to it! lol.

#617095 - 28/12/06 06:58 AM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
BigE515 Offline

Loc: Chelmsford,MA
Quote:
Originally posted by Absolutely FabuLizz:
Bored? You could change your name again? [Finger]

:p

#617096 - 28/12/06 07:02 AM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
Anonymous
Unregistered

lizz, hows the magnet business goin? i havent seen anything posted about it lately. can you make one with a picture of an xterra and put "if i wanted a hummer, i would have asked your girlfriend" on it?

#617097 - 28/12/06 07:04 AM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
airbutchie Offline

Loc: Where the freakin' Rose Parade...
Quote:
Originally posted by BigE515:
Quote:
[b]This thread got boring REALLY fast.
Bored? You could change your name again? [Finger]

:p [/b]
Hehehehhehehhehe...

How 'bout "FloridaLIZZtic Gators"... Since your beloved Jaggy's failed ya this year...

Next boring thread please...

- Air B laugh

#617098 - 28/12/06 07:09 AM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
There's no question that its propulsion is independant of the tires, and that as far as that goes, it will fly...

The part I'm still considering is the tire speed...the conveyor matches the PLANE'S speed...but is working as a tread mill, so the belt is rolling under the tires at the PLANE'S speed...just like a tread mill is going under your feet at YOUR speed...

Isn't that the speed the tarmac goes under the plane as it rolls down the runway anyway?

My FIRST impulse was that it would be DOUBLE the speed...but, its a given in this scenario that it MATCHES the plane's speed....so it CAN'T be double....it has to be the same.

laugh

So lets say the plane accelerates to 180 mph air speed...the belt is going 180 mph ground speed towards it under the tires...

That's the same 180 mph the tires would be rolling along at w/o the tread mill.

laugh

IE: The tires are moving at normal speed , just like for any take off...but, the plane is going forward due to engine thrust...with the belt accelerating its tread mill speed towards the plane to MATCH the plane's actual speed.

[Freak]

Here's the kicker though...the tire is obviously moving forward with the plane's air speed...so the tire is travelling at say 180 mph forward - the conveyeor is also moving at 180 mph towards it...

...if the plane is standing still in the air, with the runway rushing beneath it at 180 mph...its easy to see that the tire has to be ROLLING at 180 mph...

...but, for the air speed to also be 180 mph...the plane will at SOME POINT actually reach the end of the runway and fly off...so it has to gain on the belt's length's static starting position....

So -

As the belt speed matches the plane's speed as a given...I'm back to the tires having to ROLL at double their actual air speed.

[Freak]

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#617099 - 28/12/06 07:23 AM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
NY Madman Offline

Loc: Florida
The plane would not fly.

Some of the others are correct when stating that a plane in that situation could not attain the lift required to fly.

Quote:
It does seem to be quiet on the board, but then again it is a holiday week.

Is there any particular topic you wish to discuss that might ratchet things up on the board a bit?

I'd help you out, but I'm not the provocateur that I was once perceived to be. I'm the "kinder, gentler" NY Madman. [Wave] [ThumbsUp]

But then again, that statement alone could ratchet things up a bit. [Freak]

Page 1 of 43 1 2 3 ... 42 43 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal