2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#619542 - 09/10/07 10:42 AM Re: The nature of existence...
Claus Offline

Does the matter matter if it is a matter of fact?.

#619543 - 09/10/07 10:43 AM Re: The nature of existence...
NY Madman Offline

Loc: Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:

Tell me how mass has an effect upon time.

laugh
The whole discussion and theories about black holes involve mass and it's effect on time or spacetime (Space and time are two parts of one whole).

A black hole's mass compresses and that bends time or spacetime. It is believed that at the center of the black hole, or the singularity as they call it, there is no space or time. Or it is so tiny it is practically incalculable.

I also believe they say that as you travel past the event horizon of a black hole, you will be pulled forward in time.

So yes, there is most definitely a relationship between mass and time or spacetime.

Am I wrong?

#619544 - 09/10/07 10:53 AM Re: The nature of existence...
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by NY Madman:
Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:

[b]Tell me how mass has an effect upon time.

laugh
The whole discussion and theories about black holes involve mass and it's effect on time or spacetime (Space and time are two parts of one whole).

A black hole's mass compresses and that bends time or spacetime. It is believed that at the center of the black hole, or the singularity as they call it, there is no space or time. Or it is so tiny it is practically incalculable.

I also believe they say that as you travel past the event horizon of a black hole, you will be pulled forward in time.

So yes, there is most definitely a relationship between mass and time or spacetime.

Am I wrong?[/b]
Yeah - space/time is not space and time, referred to as the horizon....and the THEORY that you'd be pulled forward in time is also refuted by many a great mind.

Pulled into the hole, and deconstructed to whatever the mass of a star with the size of a basketball deconstructs you to, sure.....but, that becomes your present. (I mean, Hell, for all we know, all matter is condensed, and you are completely the same, but infinitesimally smaller...)

They talk about warping space/time....but that's just the dent in the bed.....

...we still really just want to know what the bed is made of...and what warps it, what ripples it, etc.

laugh

Again...they've changed what they consider mass to be....so that old connection has been broken......its about warping the bed now....so you fall towards the mass, but you are NOT pulled to the mass.

Which is, again, why we need to know why there is momentum....newtonian, and otherwise.

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#619545 - 09/10/07 11:03 AM Re: The nature of existence...
NY Madman Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:

Expound upon -

If you travel into the future, it is merely your present at that point.

How can you have a relative velocity between an existing object or person, and one that does not exist yet?

We are all travelling forward in time...but, we never get out of the present, becaue, by definition, the present is when we are....not where we'll be.

If we get there...that's the present.

If the future didn't happen yet, we can't go there anyway.

If we COULD travel into the future, did we skip the past that would have occurred, and, if so, as we (As you theorized) can't go back into the past.....are we who we would have been at that point in the future if we HAD those intirim life experiences?

And if we are not, we are not truly in the future, merely a bastardized relocation of some sort.

Which is all a moot point, as its impossible to travel in time, we are mired in the present, no matter where we go.

I know there are theories, and so forth, but they are all flawed, and require things that don't exist to occur to make it work.

Its nice to call time a 4th dimension, and it is a dimension in that things do also occur in time, and if one were plot something's position completely, the time that it existed at that position is certainly relevant, etc.

We can make something move in the other 3 dimensions though, but we can only observe where in the 4th dimension it is, we do not have the ability to take an object, and place it at another time other than the present......

.......we can PLAN to HAVE it at some point in the future...but, we have to WAIT for that time to occur, for it to BE there eventually.

I can make something longer, shorter, less dense, more dense, remove mass or add mass, move it to other locations in the universe.....but, when it gets there, it will be in the present.

laugh
It will always be the present to the individual observer.

Say for a minute, you have a spaceship. You shake hands with all your friends on earth then leave for a journey in your ship. You travel at great speeds. Maybe even approaching the speed of light, but you don't necessarily have to go that fast.

The faster you move in space and the closer you get to the speed of light, the more time will have passed back on earth relative to your time frame as the space traveler moving at a rapid velocity.

When you return to earth, years could have passed. Your friends would be older. To you as the traveler, maybe months would have passed in your relative perception. Your body would only have aged months or a year. Whatever time frame you experienced.

It's all about relativity.

Great velocities can enable a traveler to move forward in time relative to an observer back on earth.

It's all theory, but it is possible. What might not be possible is building a spaceship that can travel at such great velocities without hitting some type of debris in space and breaking up.

#619546 - 09/10/07 11:31 AM Re: The nature of existence...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Alright, TJ, time to clear things up. First off, you need to head over to http://www.mkaku.org/forums/ to talk more about this and get real answers from fully accredited astrophysicists (I am only an astrophysics major, but have 1 more year left).

About matter and having to be an infinite empty void, you need to read up on the Multiverse theory. It pretty much states that there are millions of universes coming into and exiting existence every second. Along these lines, there are also tiny black holes coming into existence and folding under their own gravity in our own backyards.

There is a theory out there about white holes, that they are the other side of a black hole. And the matter that a black hole sucks up is spit into another universe via a white hole. Many theorists think that our universe and the big bang were simply a white hole ejecting matter.

On another note, nothing can be accelerated faster than the speed of light. This is because as you approach the speed of light, it takes an infinite amount of energy to actually reach the speed of light. And if you tried to do that, anything with mass would be stripped down and converted to photons.

And for those of you talking about E=mc^2, you can't relate that to speed of light, its not relativistic. Instead, what you need to use is:

E=umc^2, where u= 1/(sqrt(1-(v^2/c^2))).

If you know anything about math, you can see that as 'v' approaches 'c', 'u' becomes infinite, therefore 'E' also becomes infinite.

Any other questions, feel free to send me a pm or post up here and I'll try to sort through things as logically as possible, or with as much physics, astronomy, quantum mechanics, and relativity as desired.

#619547 - 09/10/07 11:35 AM Re: The nature of existence...
Anonymous
Unregistered

#619548 - 09/10/07 11:50 AM Re: The nature of existence...
NY Madman Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:

Yeah - space/time is not space and time, referred to as the horizon....and the THEORY that you'd be pulled forward in time is also refuted by many a great mind.
Space and time are two parts of one whole.

I don't know how far forward you would move in time as you enter the event horizon. They say there is a gravitational time dilation. Maybe time slows down or ceases to exist inside a black hole.

Relative to an observer at a safe distance, I don't know what it would mean.

Quote:
Pulled into the hole, and deconstructed to whatever the mass of a star with the size of a basketball deconstructs you to, sure.....but, that becomes your present. (I mean, Hell, for all we know, all matter is condensed, and you are completely the same, but infinitesimally smaller...)
I don't think you get the whole concept of relativity.

To you as the space traveler, it will always be YOUR present.

Quote:
They talk about warping space/time....but that's just the dent in the bed.....

...we still really just want to know what the bed is made of...and what warps it, what ripples it, etc.
You want to know what the emptiness of space is made of? I guess everybody wants to know.

We already know what warps it. That is what we have just been discussing.

Quote:
Again...they've changed what they consider mass to be....so that old connection has been broken......its about warping the bed now....so you fall towards the mass, but you are NOT pulled to the mass.

Which is, again, why we need to know why there is momentum....newtonian, and otherwise.
Since when did they change the definition or concept of mass? Changed it how or to what?

I thought we already knew what momentum was. It's the product of mass and velocity.

#619549 - 10/10/07 05:53 AM Re: The nature of existence...
TJ Offline

Newtonian momentum, sure...how it can be calculated, etc...well understood.....but the REAL question is WHY it exists.

The math works...but, as we FALL into a black hole (Theoretially), as opposed to being PULLED into it...going back to the mass not creating gravity as originally thought, but warping the bed to make things roll towards mass (Again, as opposed to the mass creating a pulling force...)...we have therefore changed what we consider to be gravity, and mass.

Scientists have watched things fall into black holes...they disappear...just like they're supposed to....no time travel happened to the watching scientists, and, I'm sure, the objects falling in merely had a sucky present, rather than time travel.

So you can't warp time, merely space, nor space, as in empty space, which I theorize doesn't exist.

If you can warp "space" and make things roll along it, etc...is amde of something that CAN be warped...

....what is happening when we reverse poles on a magnet?

Every few millenia, the earth's poles swap.

Its all about the iron.

That's magnatism...a different rubric.

We know large objects seem to bend passing light, Einstein predicted it, and it had since been observed on a few confirming occaisions.

So, light propagates, sound propagates, objects fall towards larger "masses", and all objects, regardless of size, seem to have the same effect, proportional to what we call their mass.

Things in motion tend to continue this motion, unless something is in the way.....and, there's a difference between diffraction/deflection/richochett, and resistance....

What makes them stay in motion?

I think its a fundamental question that needs an answer beyond the newtonian, after the fact explanation, of the WAY they stay in motion....it WHY that is important to me now.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

#619550 - 10/10/07 07:21 AM Re: The nature of existence...
MidnightX Offline

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida
My head hurts.

#619551 - 10/10/07 01:12 PM Re: The nature of existence...
TJ Offline

Feel the burn...

Muscles get stronger with use.

wink

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal