Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#62825 - 27/02/06 01:42 PM Shrock Bumper & Skids
Anonymous
Unregistered

Let me apologize beforehand if this is in the wrong section. Please feel free to move it if it is.

Looking to do some minor offroading and was wondering after I removed the stock bumper and replaced it with the Shrock one, what skids are mandatory to protect the front. I really dont want a full set of skids cause I dont have the cash for it.

#62826 - 27/02/06 01:56 PM Re: Shrock Bumper & Skids
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
None really.

The bumper doesn't change the skids in any way.

Frankly, I would do other armor before a bumper if $ was an object...the bumper does improve approach angle, but sliders protect you more off road than anything...and your other vitals under the truck are more vulnerable.

So - If you are looking to do some intro off roading...I'd get Sliders from Shrock before a bumper...saves a few hundred $ right there. The sliders also give you a place to hi-lift from, as the stock jack is useless off road...so they are really job one.

After the sliders, THEN I'd look at skid plates...maybe the gas skid first, and work forward.

laugh

Black Panther Armor and Skid-Row have plates now... (You have a pre-'05 I think, right?)

and Shrock (Any day now...)and others are adding them to their lines.

The bumper doesn't become a giant priority until you want a winch...until then, the other items are a higher priority. If you have a Deer problem where you are, I take back some of this, but stand by Sliders as the best first mod for off roading.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#62827 - 27/02/06 02:14 PM Re: Shrock Bumper & Skids
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well that's a buncha hoopla!

the first mod for offroading should be removal of that pesky rear sway bar laugh laugh

#62828 - 27/02/06 02:19 PM Re: Shrock Bumper & Skids
Anonymous
Unregistered

I disagree, removal of muf flaps should be first (at least the rear flaps). laugh

#62829 - 27/02/06 06:39 PM Re: Shrock Bumper & Skids
Anonymous
Unregistered

THanks for the info. I have removed the mudflaps, stepbars, and have upgraded to 265/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers on some new AR Crush to complement my PML.

As far as sliders go, Im in the process of making some of my own.

I dont have a deer problem where Im at (south tx along the coast) but up at the lake house I do. Also there are alot of dumb drivers around here so a massive full metal bumper might intimidate a few people around here. Plus I just like the way it looks also.

#62830 - 28/02/06 07:39 AM Re: Shrock Bumper & Skids
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Muzikman:
I disagree, removal of muf flaps should be first (at least the rear flaps). laugh
nah, that takes care of itself when the time comes [LOL]

#62831 - 28/02/06 08:12 AM Re: Shrock Bumper & Skids
Anonymous
Unregistered

Helloooooo?? Step rails? mudflaps can bend... step rail bend.... and dont bend back....

#62832 - 28/02/06 10:47 AM Re: Shrock Bumper & Skids
TJ Offline

He didn't ask what the first mod should be, it was a "which should I buy" question.

laugh

I am glad to see how many of you are getting the swaybar, flap and rail part right though, that's heartening...but at least wait for a question where its relevent.

laugh

PS - Flaps bend, then crack.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

#62833 - 28/02/06 11:34 AM Re: Shrock Bumper & Skids
Anonymous
Unregistered

yes, but *you* stated what the first mod should be. I just added my 2 cents. laugh

#62834 - 28/02/06 11:43 AM Re: Shrock Bumper & Skids
TJ Offline

No, I didn't. [Finger]

I said I'd do armor before a bumper, and the first armor would be sliders.

laugh

#62835 - 28/02/06 11:49 AM Re: Shrock Bumper & Skids
Anonymous
Unregistered

"I take back some of this, but stand by Sliders as the best first mod for off roading"

:p

#62836 - 28/02/06 12:07 PM Re: Shrock Bumper & Skids
Anonymous
Unregistered

Shrock has a full set of skids available already...

#62837 - 28/02/06 03:05 PM Re: Shrock Bumper & Skids
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just to reiterate. My question is after I purchase the Shrock front bumper, what skid is the most important to protect the front and under-carraige. I DONT want a full set of skids, and Im making my own set sliders.

#62838 - 01/03/06 11:51 AM Re: Shrock Bumper & Skids
ripcurl2151 Offline

Loc: NJ
All the skids are important, but I've heard the gas tank is pretty pricey to replace if you ruin it. That was the first skid plate i got, but that could also be because I won it for free smile

#62839 - 01/03/06 05:32 PM Re: Shrock Bumper & Skids
Anonymous
Unregistered

the gas tank will cost in the neighborhood of $1,000 to replace, get a gas tank skid first laugh

The full set of skids comment was for TJ who said that Shrock will have a set finalized any day now laugh

#62840 - 02/03/06 03:59 AM Re: Shrock Bumper & Skids
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'd go with gas tank too... that's the only thing underneath I've actually hit while offroading as it sits a little lower than everything else I think.

#62841 - 02/03/06 04:16 AM Re: Shrock Bumper & Skids
TJ Offline

Yeah - the pattern seems to be to start at the back, and work forward with the plates.

#62842 - 02/03/06 06:36 AM Re: Shrock Bumper & Skids
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by ChefTyler:
the gas tank will cost in the neighborhood of $1,000 to replace, get a gas tank skid first laugh

The full set of skids comment was for TJ who said that Shrock will have a set finalized any day now laugh
A gas tank HAS to be cheaper than replacing an oil filter assembly or a cracked tcase? Granted they are tucked better than gas tank and I have yet to hear someone actually take one out... I found a used set last year and its amazing how much more comfortable i am wheeling...

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal