Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 162 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#63262 - 03/03/03 11:33 AM brush guard question!!??
yellowfever Offline

Loc: Alabama
Has anyone put their brush guard back on with the 3" body lift. I dont like the look of the ARB nor do i have that kinda money right now. I was wondering if anybody has redone their brackets to get it to work?

#63263 - 03/03/03 12:19 PM Re: brush guard question!!??
Olegkha Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Brush guard is attaching to the same bolts that Bumper is attached.

4x4parts provides the bracket for bumper relocation, so i dont see any reason why you cannot attach it to the same holles on the bracket ( as the bumper )

#63264 - 03/03/03 02:06 PM Re: brush guard question!!??
Harrison Offline

Loc: Fort Worth/ Lubbock, Texas
Katie did in SWXC. Here is a picture:

Harrison

#63265 - 04/03/03 02:11 PM Re: brush guard question!!??
Rick L Offline

Loc: Houston
Just my $.02 - comparing the brush guards to the ARB bumpers using appearance as a primary factor is a bit like comparing tires to a roof rack, using raised white letters as a factor. Totally different functions. People who invest the money in an ARB are not doing it so their Xs look pretty (although IMHO the ARBs add a definite bit of character to the stock front end)- they're doing it to add functionality in the form of protection, strong tow points and a strong winch mount - none of which can be attributed to the brush guards. Conversely those who do light off-roading or use their vehicles primarily on the street may be perfectly happy with an appearance item such as the brush guard. Don't get me wrong - if you don't want or need an ARB I certainly would not presume to try to change your mind, but please recognize them for wehat they are - a heavy duty bumper/winch mount first, trim item second (or third).

#63266 - 04/03/03 04:02 PM Re: brush guard question!!??
yellowfever Offline

Loc: Alabama
That didnt really help much in answering my question, but i wasnt trying to compare the utility value of the two. Im using mine strickly for what its named for, guarding the front end from brush hanging down on some trails. If i axually did do anything remotely tougher than trail cruising i would definitely get an ARB even though i dont really like them.

#63267 - 04/03/03 05:59 PM Re: brush guard question!!??
Axle Offline

Loc: Fort Carson, CO
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick L:
ARBs add a definite bit of character to the stock front end)- they're doing it to add functionality in the form of protection, strong tow points and a strong winch mount
Winch mount yes, tow point no. The holes in the front of the ARB are designed for the High Lift jack adapter only. In an emergency they may be used for LIGHT towing but nothing too serious. If you want one with integrated tow points then get the Calmini bumper.

#63268 - 04/03/03 06:05 PM Re: brush guard question!!??
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
Quote:
Originally posted by yellowfever:
That didnt really help much in answering my question, but i wasnt trying to compare the utility value of the two. Im using mine strickly for what its named for, guarding the front end from brush hanging down on some trails. If i axually did do anything remotely tougher than trail cruising i would definitely get an ARB even though i dont really like them.
I would argue that anything heavy enough to do damage to the front end will destroy the brushguard. If you offroad you will learn to hate it because it reduces the approach angle to obstacles. If you're worried about stray shopping carts go for it, but brushguards are not sturdy enough for any type of trail running.

#63269 - 05/03/03 05:32 AM Re: brush guard question!!??
RS Offline

Loc: Lincoln, RI
Quote:
Originally posted by yellowfever:
Im using mine strickly for what its named for, guarding the front end from brush hanging down on some trails.
It's not the front grill that gets the abuse, it's the sides of the truck that get scratched after you nudge through the low hanging stuff. IMO, the brush guards are decoration with very limited practical value. OTOH, girls seem to like them so maybe there is some practical value after all, just not offroading.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal