Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#635493 - 19/10/04 02:39 PM Highway trouble
Anonymous
Unregistered

I drove to Boston this weekend, I was going 90 and over on the highway. But, when I hit 100 the engine like, slowed itself down. Is there some safety mechanism or something that keeps the X from going over 100? thanks -Will

#635494 - 19/10/04 02:46 PM Re: Highway trouble
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Yes, it's called the "Idiot Management Control System", and it prevents stupid people from driving a 4000 SUV like it was a sports car.

#635495 - 19/10/04 02:49 PM Re: Highway trouble
MOLTAR Offline

Loc: richmond, va
easy to disable, too! there's a how-to over on

www.idrivelikeanidiot.com

#635496 - 19/10/04 02:49 PM Re: Highway trouble
Anonymous
Unregistered

is their anyway around it? I was being chased by a cop once, and my damn X also had the same problem it couldn't go any faster! I need this thing to outrun the police, or why else would I have bought it?

#635497 - 19/10/04 03:24 PM Re: Highway trouble
Anonymous
Unregistered

wow, no would have been fine, the hostility wasn't really necessary. lol

#635498 - 19/10/04 03:35 PM Re: Highway trouble
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
My Xterra has a 70 MPH limiter, AKA my wallet! Seriously, at probably 10 MPG or less I wouldn't drive the X at 100 MPH even if it were safe to do so!

This topic has been beaten to death a number of times and it always comes down to this. If you want to go fast, get something designed to go fast, join a club or the SCCA, and take it to a track to play once in awhile. Don't be racing your 2 ton, top heavy SUV with 90 MPH rated tires on the highways endangering people's lives. It's not worth the risk and nothing would suck more than going to a "Federal Pound Me In THe Ass Prison" because your ran your SUV into a compact and killed a baby in the back seat.

#635499 - 19/10/04 03:50 PM Re: Highway trouble
Anonymous
Unregistered

how much safer is driving your X around on rocks and rough terrain? I mean, honestly, i don't think it's such a big deal to drive faster, which everyone does in connecticut since th elimit is higher.
But I don't care about that, I'm just a little pissed that you guys got so damn touchy lol, I'm a new driver, this is my first car, im 17 for crying out loud, I just asked a question jesus christ.

#635500 - 19/10/04 03:52 PM Re: Highway trouble
Anonymous
Unregistered

by the way my X gets 20 mph highway and 17 mpg city.

#635501 - 19/10/04 03:53 PM Re: Highway trouble
XOC Offline
Admin

I look forward to seeing your obituary.

A 17 year old who wants to drive 100 MPH in an SUV. Your parents must brother and sister.

Go kill yourself now before you kill someone else in an accident.

#635502 - 19/10/04 03:55 PM Re: Highway trouble
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Will Antoniou:
how much safer is driving your X around on rocks and rough terrain?
You can't possibly be this stupid... well, maybe you can.

When I go 4 wheeling, there is about a zillion to one chance I will crash into other vehicles at 100 MPH.

#635503 - 19/10/04 03:59 PM Re: Highway trouble
ButterBean Offline

Loc: Walla Walla
Quote:
Originally posted by yeagermeister:
easy to disable, too! there's a how-to over on

www.idrivelikeanidiot.com
How come I can't get to the website? [LOL]

#635504 - 19/10/04 04:01 PM Re: Highway trouble
Anonymous
Unregistered

Obviously not hitting other cars, but it's not a whole lot safer for whoever's in the car.

What is you problem guys? lol When was the last time you got laid....

Right, I'm 17, and yet, I'm getting to you this much... what does that say?

#635505 - 19/10/04 04:04 PM Re: Highway trouble
KJ_dragon Offline

Loc: East Bay, CA
Quote:
how much safer is driving your X around on rocks and rough terrain? I mean, honestly, i don't think it's such a big deal to drive faster, which everyone does in connecticut since th elimit is higher.
But I don't care about that, I'm just a little pissed that you guys got so damn touchy lol, I'm a new driver, this is my first car, im 17 for crying out loud, I just asked a question jesus christ.
1) It's a truck/SUV - not a car. Maybe this is your problem. You think its a car, so you drive it with a car mentality. The reality is - you are driving a top heavy SUV on a truck frame - not a "car".

2) Another spoiled teen with a new SUV that needs to learn how to drive safely. :rolleyes:

We are "so damn touchy" cause this is a freakin serious issue. How much bad press do SUV's get for rolling over and killing people? How many people complain about "those stupid SUV's driving like they own the road"? Its the few screwy drivers out there who ruin the reputations of those of us who drive safely.

#635506 - 19/10/04 04:07 PM Re: Highway trouble
KJ_dragon Offline

Loc: East Bay, CA
Quote:
Obviously not hitting other cars, but it's not a whole lot safer for whoever's in the car.

What is you problem guys? lol When was the last time you got laid....

Right, I'm 17, and yet, I'm getting to you this much... what does that say?
You missed his point...

When you drive on the highway at 100mph and crash - chances are you are gonna take out someone else with you.

When you drive on rocks and crash - you are just gonna take yourself out.

You think this is "getting to us"? You ain't seen nothing yet - this is actually very nice compared to other newbies who come in here thinking that we are supposed to give them a break - "cause they are new".

#635507 - 19/10/04 04:09 PM Re: Highway trouble
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Yup, you're stupid.

There were only four 4 wheeling deaths that I know of in the USA this year.

Go punch your Mom for me.

#635508 - 19/10/04 04:21 PM Re: Highway trouble
Anonymous
Unregistered

lol I'm not missing the point. I understand what you're saying.
And you think I could give a shit about how you treat other newbies? You're opinion doesn't dictate how the rest of my day is gonna go lol.

And for your info, I worked 2 summers in a row every day but sunday to buy this car. So don't call me spoiled you prick.

#635509 - 19/10/04 04:26 PM Re: Highway trouble
Anonymous
Unregistered

and by the way, aren't you a little old for "mom" jokes?

#635510 - 19/10/04 04:31 PM Re: Highway trouble
Anonymous
Unregistered

hey, not to repeat anything that has already been said, but especially being a new driver try to keep the xterra to a reasonable speed...

At 90 mph if you had to swerve to miss something or if a tire blows, that biatch is gonna flip, and it is going to roll end over end repeatedly until you are dead or very seriously hurt. Keep that in mind.

Most people wreck their vehicles at least once. After that you be a bit more careful because you realize how fast it happens. Just try not to make that first time a bad one.

blah,blah 04 x, sweet! welcome!

#635511 - 19/10/04 04:38 PM Re: Highway trouble
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
This just gets better! You're an inexperienced driver too! Most new drivers can barely control a vehicle safely at 20 MPH, what makes you think you can do it at 100?

Offroading is a completely different issue. First of all, if you roll an SUV at 5 MPH there's almost no chance of injury unless you aren't belted. Plus, anyone affected has already accepted any risks associated with the sport. Same goes for driving on the track...it's a more controlled environment and all participating accept the risks. If you are on a public highway nobody cares if you kill yourself...what we are concerned about is what innocent people might be killed by you; people who did not sign a disclaimer or otherwise acknowledge that they should be subject to increased risk beyond the norm. If you kill someone from speeding you can and will be charged with manslaughter and you'll have to live with it for the rest of your life. Would you like to spend 10 years or so behind bars and your next 70 years thinking about someone's 5 year old you killed because you were too selfish to drive responsibility?

Driving is serious shit kid and you have it easy. I have a commercial license and will tell you now that I'd get fucked from every direction if I play stupid on the road!

#635512 - 19/10/04 04:38 PM Re: Highway trouble
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks, that was a nice honest answer.
And, i probably won't drive as fast now becasue of this whole strain.

funny that the 17 year old is quickest to admit his mistake though...

o wait, you guys are admin! you don't make mistakes!

#635513 - 19/10/04 04:41 PM Re: Highway trouble
Anonymous
Unregistered

what are you fucking mother theresa?
i just wanted you to answer a fucking question. its forum for crying out loud.
but instead you had to lecture me on my driving habits instead of answering a question about the car, o wait sorry "truck" or "x" if you prefer.
and its fine to give me tips on safer driving, but get down from you're fucking driver, i'm sure you were the perfect driver right out of the womb ! jesus you are such a douchebag.... (o jee, he might kick me out of the "club" now)

#635514 - 19/10/04 04:42 PM Re: Highway trouble
Anonymous
Unregistered

*tower

#635515 - 19/10/04 05:17 PM Re: Highway trouble
perna Offline

This will remove the limiter
Apexi

#635516 - 19/10/04 05:25 PM Re: Highway trouble
Anonymous
Unregistered

at this point I doubt I'll buy it lol, but thanks none the less man

#635517 - 19/10/04 05:38 PM Re: Highway trouble
Anonymous
Unregistered

Look Will, you won't have alot of people on here able to tell you how to remove the limiter, because they have never pushed their X to that speed. Me, personally yes, I have (have pushed the X to it's rev limiter), BUT I performed this action on a closed course, and by myself. There was nobody next to where I was, and I drove around just to check (and my friends blocked the entrance of the place with their cars). All these guys are trying to do is tell you that driving fast is unsafe. They have been driving the roads for years and they are only trying to enlightin you with their wisdom by telling you that it is a bad idea. Ya, it sucks that them enlightining you means being crude, hostile, and plainly asses. But they feel that the only way that they can enlightin you would be by screaming at you. Either way... I know how curiousity asks you to push the car once in a while, and I know how it feels. All I ask is that you perform this action in the safest way possible. On a closed course, with friends nearby, and with every car around you knowing fully of your actions (in other words with no cars around you). Also realize that the engineers at Nissan put a rev limiter on the X, at the spot it was at for a specific reason. They know that the X can go faster, and I'm sure that it can hit probably 130 mph (not considering aerodynamics). But remember that the engineers at Nissan put that rev limiter their for a reason, whether it be for aerodynamic purposes(maybe the cargo bin will rip off) or for suspension reasons (you hit a small bump and the tire pops). I'm sure their are many other reasons that I can't even think off yet, but know that engineers put safety in their cars, before curiosity. So do what you want, but know that the engineers at Nissan put reason in their creation, and be wary of your results.

For all of you that are mad at the fact that I have pushed my X, know that I have only perfomed this action on a closed course. I realize the safety issues, and I realize that I put myself in a safety risk, but know that I put nobody else in a safety risk.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal