Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#635518 - 19/10/04 05:47 PM Re: Highway trouble
Anonymous
Unregistered

Damned round lighters

[Finger]

#635519 - 19/10/04 06:37 PM Re: Highway trouble
Anonymous
Unregistered

If memory serves there was the minor issue of the tires being rated for less then 100 mph. a 4000 (well closer to 5000 but who is counting) pound truck isn't going to handle very well with 3 tires. I have done several weeks of skid pad & high speed training in NC.. Trust me when I say this: The sudden loss of a tire at high speed causes the car / truck to pull to that side. The faster you are driving, the harder the pull. The Xterra is high center of gravity. The frame alone is higher the the center of gravity on sports cars. The tranny & moter are mounted ABOVE the frame, making things worse. Forget the truck body that goes higher still. My hood is higher then the roof of a Honda S2000, and that is designed to go fast! If you want to go fast, get somthing lower to the ground. You WILL ROLL your truck. With 3 tires left, at high speed you will not be able to correct before it is to late. The rolling resistance of the bare rim, digging into the pavement at 100mph is far higher then the tire on the other side. If it is a front tire that fails, if you TOUCH the breaks, the other front will start to slow the truck, the bare rum will do squat. Yor will go from pulling to one side, to pulling to the other. As soon as you release the breaks, it will pull back to the side with the flat. Unless you know what is going to happen, and have practised it over & over, you are screwed. What are you going to do if the tire fails, as you are changing lanes or somthing? At 100mph there won't be any glass left, Whatever isn't tied down will be who knows where. The roof & sides arn't designed to stop a 100mph impact with a guard rail, tree, freeway support, someone elses car, the median.. whatever.
The truck will disintergrate around you. There may not be enough left to protect you by the time it comes to a stop, unless it hits the back of a semi or somthing, then you will be dead from the impact.
The reason everyone is jumping your shit is no one wants (more) bad press on suv's. Last thing I want is my insurance company to tell me is they are jacking my rates 1k a year because someone killef themselves and took out a family in a minivan.
Low center of gravity cars tend to skid & slide till they hit somthing.. guard rail, edge of the road & dirt sholder.. whatever.. High center of gravity trucks tend to flip (look at the exploders a few years ago) because teh driver does somthing they shouldn't have, and lacking the training don't know how to fix it before it is to late. Not all (or even most @ that speed) are recoverable. On the skid pad I lost it far more often then I saved it. But that was the idea, to get rid of the cockeyness, and teach us that this can KILL US!!

P.S. if you are responding to someone,
quote a little from them so people can keep up.

I you are intent on going faster, Try these people.

#635520 - 19/10/04 07:26 PM Re: Highway trouble
IggyB Offline

Loc: Calgary, Alberta Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Will Antoniou:
im 17 for crying out loud, I just asked a question jesus christ.
Keep driving at a hundred and you'll get to meet him or a personal representative real soon smile

#635521 - 19/10/04 11:42 PM Re: Highway trouble
perna Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Just_Blue:
Look Will, you won't have alot of people on here able to tell you how to remove the limiter, because they have never pushed their X to that speed.
Thats bullshit, most people on here know you will get your ass reamed if you admit it, so all the little pussies shut up. You might as well say that noone here has ever gotten a speeding ticket [LOL]
So all you fuckers that yell at people for driving fast need to think about how many times you have gone over the posted speed limit, even if it is just 1 mph over, cause they posted it for a reason. [Finger]

#635522 - 20/10/04 01:35 AM Re: Highway trouble
KJ_dragon Offline

Loc: East Bay, CA
Who said anything about posted limit?

This discussion is about the govenor and the lunacy of 3 digit speeds in the Xterra. [Freak]

#635523 - 20/10/04 07:05 AM Re: Highway trouble
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by perna:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Just_Blue:
[b]Look Will, you won't have alot of people on here able to tell you how to remove the limiter, because they have never pushed their X to that speed.

Thats bullshit, most people on here know you will get your ass reamed if you admit it, so all the little pussies shut up. You might as well say that noone here has ever gotten a speeding ticket [LOL]
So all you fuckers that yell at people for driving fast need to think about how many times you have gone over the posted speed limit, even if it is just 1 mph over, cause they posted it for a reason. [Finger] [/b]
Ya but Perna, these people are telling him not to go into the 3 digit speeds.

Wait a second... I don't think you're gonna understand me... Let me retype my statement but with more cuss words! Hopefully you can understand that!

Ya fucking perna, ya fucker, these fucking pussies are screaming at the fucker telling him not to fucking be a pussy and go over the fucking pussy assed reaming governer.

Hopefully I got my point across... the point that I lost 30 seconds ago... when I decided to involve cuss words that are completly out of context...

pussy... laugh

#635524 - 20/10/04 07:51 AM Re: Highway trouble
Anonymous
Unregistered

hey, kid, dont do nothing stupid...wait a few years before you hit triple digits. my 00 topped out around 96 (yeah, i tried before, flame me smile ) on a straight, empty back road at like, 0130. thats when i almost ran outta gas lol. that brings me to a question i was originally gonna post today.
before i ask this question, i assure you, i have NO INTENTION of actually finding this out. since i put 33's on my X, i used my GPS to find out the diff in speed...im actually going between 6 and 6.5 faster then my speedo says. theoretically, if the engine/tranny combo COULD run these tires at that speed....would it go roughly 6mph past the gov? remember, i will never try and find out, my buddy and i were just wondering that yesterday

#635525 - 20/10/04 07:57 AM Re: Highway trouble
Anonymous
Unregistered

wow, yall's governer hits in at the 90's? Weird... I hit 100, I think it cuts off at 105. Maybe it's cause I actually let my X down gear into 4th, and since I got the S/C it still has some pull to accelerate.

#635526 - 20/10/04 07:58 AM Re: Highway trouble
Anonymous
Unregistered

The gov is based on engine RPM. I would think the engine is working harder to turn the bigger tires, so you probably can't get to 96 mph anymore. But that is just my theory.

#635527 - 20/10/04 08:10 AM Re: Highway trouble
Anonymous
Unregistered

makes sense...its like its castrated once i hit 75-80(actual, not speedo). but it sure is fun driving it slow offroad on all those rocks. i'd hate to hit a rock doing like, 8 mph, it might roll down and hit a bigger rock and then a bigger rock and so on an so on and then hit some kids xterra on the highway b/c he was goin 100 mph and the vaccum he created sucked the rocks his way. god, that'd be a crazy avalanche smile [Finger]

#635528 - 20/10/04 08:32 AM Re: Highway trouble
Anonymous
Unregistered

You read a post like Will's (started the thread) and wonder if someone like that will live long enough to realize how stupid they were. Everyone experiences being a child, not everyone makes it to old age.

My Harley Sportster has a rev limiter. Keeps you from having to worry about blowing up the motor. You can change it out of course, but engine life will most likely be shortened, because you will definitely over rev at times. And I'm not wanting to speed around, just cruise (I'm older). So, stock rev limiters such as in the X suit me just fine. The X moves my off road fun toys just fine (mountain bike, kayak) ... at posted speed limits . My mods are going into what will give me more MPH. Of course you then get into when is the payback. I haven't done the math really. If I shell out $700 and gain 4mph, it will take a while to see a return on investment. Maybe I should just take that money and buy some stocks. But, you have to weigh in the satisfaction factor. New engine sounds, tinkering with the X, etc. And if gas prices get up to $3 and beyond .....

#635529 - 20/10/04 09:22 AM Re: Highway trouble
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
According to my GPS, all you have to do to defeat the speed governor is use larger diameter tires.

Ones rated for the actual speed would of course be a good idea given the physics involved when losing control at triple digit speeds due to speed related tire failure.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#635530 - 20/10/04 10:31 AM Re: Highway trouble
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
There's a difference between a rev limiter and a speed governor. Don't confuse the two.

As for this Antoniou kid, I got half a mind to call every Antoniou on Long Island and ask if they have a 17 year old son with an Xterra and let 'em know he's a freakin' dipshit out putting people's lives at risk in his brand new Xterra...

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#635531 - 20/10/04 10:51 AM Re: Highway trouble
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hmm, I guess it turns out that NOT everyone here would agree with ChuckH and BeefJerky. A lot of people have tried it. I never said that I do it on a regular basis, I was in connecticut where the speed limit was higher, so I said WTF, I might as well try it.

And, again, I'm sick of you asshole thinking ur so high and mighty. Go ahead, call every Antoniou up on Long Island, when you find my parents they'll tell you to go fuck yourself.

The fact of the matter is, I just asked a question, and a legitimate one at that.

So, I'm done, you guys can keep bitching about this if you want. I admitted my mistake earlier, but apparently some of you are such ENORMOUS assholes, that this has to drag on.

So, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go drive 170 mph down my street... pricks

#635532 - 20/10/04 11:08 AM Re: Highway trouble
superjens Offline

Loc: North Vancouver
Quote:
And, again, I'm sick of you asshole thinking ur so high and mighty.
Listen kid, we were all your age once. When you mature and learn a few things in life, you'll understand more about what they're saying. Nobody is being high and mighty, they're hoping to instill some sense in you so you don't prove them right and crash into a pile of bystanders just because you get a thrill from speed.

You think we're all old grampas here, farting on about stupid speeding kids? No, we all remember exactly what it's like to be 17, cocky, arrogant and ignorant.

#635533 - 20/10/04 11:37 AM Re: Highway trouble
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks OffroadX. Yes, different. But I guess I was thinking they both are controlling engine revs. Of course the governor is trying to maintain an RPM, where the rev limiter is putting a limit on the revs. So really, is the X's a governor or a rev limiter? Of course I'm basing my thoughts of a governor based on how old time governors work on say, my old Caterpillar dozer (of which I have and restore). I really don't know how the X's governor works, but was expecting it to be based on the engine's RPM, not the vehicles speed on the highway and really thinking of it as a rev limiter.

Here is a blurb from a website describing the old gas engine governors-
Gas engine governors are based on the principal of controlling engine speed by balancing spring pressure or tension against a force based on or controlled by engine speed. With a mechanical governor, spring pressure is balanced against the pressure from the force of spinning flyweights. Where the balance between the two is achieved is where the engine speed will be maintained. This is called the "governed speed". If the spring tension is increased, the result is an increase in throttle opening, and thus, engine speed.
If the spring tension is decreased, the throttle is closed, reducing engine speed until the balance is again restored.

#635534 - 20/10/04 11:58 AM Re: Highway trouble
Anonymous
Unregistered

hahaha...

Speed governor at 100 mph??

I can't remember the last time my Frontier was even up to 70 mph...

I vote the 17 yr. old buy a lift, real tires, some decent bumpers, and some decent skids. Then see how fast the 3.3L can actually go... Won't have to worry about any speed limiter... 'Less you go out to Nebraska, there aren't any straight stretches east of the Mississippi that'll give you enough time to get up to that speed...

#635535 - 20/10/04 12:14 PM Re: Highway trouble
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I doubt the Xterra's speed governor is based purely on RPM, though fundamentally it is since the (electronic) speed sensor is just counting RPMs at the transmission output or further down the line. You could do 100 MPH in third gear if you wanted to. For the computer to read 100 MPH w/ a 31" diamter tire, 4.90 gears, and 3rd gear's 1:1 ratio, you would be turning 5310 RPM which is still (just a bit) under the redline...

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#635536 - 20/10/04 12:49 PM Re: Highway trouble
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by BeefJerky:
You read a post like Will's (started the thread) and wonder if someone like that will live long enough to realize how stupid they were. Everyone experiences being a child, not everyone makes it to old age.

My Harley Sportster has a rev limiter. Keeps you from having to worry about blowing up the motor. You can change it out of course, but engine life will most likely be shortened, because you will definitely over rev at times. And I'm not wanting to speed around, just cruise (I'm older). So, stock rev limiters such as in the X suit me just fine. The X moves my off road fun toys just fine (mountain bike, kayak) ... at posted speed limits . My mods are going into what will give me more MPH. Of course you then get into when is the payback. I haven't done the math really. If I shell out $700 and gain 4mph, it will take a while to see a return on investment. Maybe I should just take that money and buy some stocks. But, you have to weigh in the satisfaction factor. New engine sounds, tinkering with the X, etc. And if gas prices get up to $3 and beyond .....
First, I think you may be speaking of MPG instead of MPH. MPG = miles per gallon, where as MPH = miles per hour. Usually MPG is associated with fuel economy and MPH is associated with speed. wink

Second, Harleys are notorious for valve float at higher RPM, even below the rev limiter, so that alone wont keep you from blowing the motor! [Finger] (just screwing with ya)

#635537 - 20/10/04 01:15 PM Re: Highway trouble
Anonymous
Unregistered

ProlificX, yep, I fat fingered that one. I'm shooting for MPG. Will is wanting the MPH. This thread has been all over the place.

#635538 - 20/10/04 02:05 PM Re: Highway trouble
Anonymous
Unregistered

i flipped my geo tracker offroading once. I was 16, and it was the week of my final exams. I was offroading with some friends, going 40 mph, and I pull the hand brake and turned the wheel. WOW was that fun! Ya, I risked my life, and ya it was a CRAZY experience. EVERYTHING in my car turned into a weapon, ranging from CD's to pens. If I could do it again, I dunno. I definately wouldn't try that in the X though. I beat the crap outta that Geo though... Oh those highschool years... When I grow up I'll buy myself a Geo, and make it a offroading piece of crap!

#635539 - 20/10/04 02:12 PM Re: Highway trouble
Anonymous
Unregistered

also, Tahoes, Silverados, Explorers, and every other kind of SUV was driving by me faster the whole.. (when i was pushing 100 on my way to boston)
so, i dont think i was breaking some SUV insurance raising pact, or i would have been going by everyone

#635540 - 20/10/04 09:14 PM Re: Highway trouble
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Quote:
also, Tahoes, Silverados, Explorers, and every other kind of SUV was driving by me faster the whole.. (when i was pushing 100 on my way to boston)
Yup, other idiots behavior will cancel the laws of physics :rolleyes:

Gawd I wish I was in my teen's and knew everything again....

#635541 - 20/10/04 09:20 PM Re: Highway trouble
KJ_dragon Offline

Quote:
so, i dont think i was breaking some SUV insurance raising pact, or i would have been going by everyone
"mommy mommy... everyone else is doing it too." [Freak]

#635542 - 20/10/04 09:24 PM Re: Highway trouble
KJ_dragon Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Just_Blue:
I pull the hand brake and turned the wheel. WOW was that fun!
I did that a few times too in a dirt lot with my Mazda GLC. Then one day - the rear axle snapped and the rear-driver-side wheel fell off. Yes - I was 16 yrs old. [Crybaby]

Too bad there wasn't anyone to tell me that I was dumb - or else I may have skipped that and saved myself the headache of fixing my axle.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal