Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#636987 - 15/12/04 10:36 AM Re: Fuel Economy
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by XterraNut808:
just be glad you dont have a supercharger, and having to get premium all the time(which you all should anyways!).
There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to use premium in the NA V6.

#636988 - 15/12/04 10:40 AM Re: Fuel Economy
xterra3202 Offline

Loc: Georgia
I know strange that highway is better than city but it has been that way since the day i purchased it??? Oh well.

Tim

Thomas Jefferson

#636989 - 15/12/04 10:52 AM Re: Fuel Economy
Stonecoldchavez Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by Cyclemut:
Knock Sensor anyone?

Reduced fuel mileage, power, yada yada yada.

Ask to see the Consult II printout next time. If they blow off a Knock Sensor failure (like telling you most vehicles have that code, whatever) then call another dealership and ask if they'll replace the sensor if the code is present.

Chances are it's the familiar ring of a failed sensor, but pulling the code is the only way to know for sure.

Otherwise, little less pressure on the skinny pedal.
Cyclemut,
I had my knock sensor replaced last year (under warranty). This past summer my truck was pinging again. At ECXC someone read my codes and the knock sensor coded came up again, along with several other trucks there. There was certified Nissan mechanic guy there. He said that knock sensor location was a bad design under the Nissn hood; that too much heat is generated under the hood and does not escape. That the heat can cause the knock sensor to go off (or bad).

Your opinion on this?

In your experience, what is the frequency for the Knock Sensors to go bad? Is this a "yearly" part like changing the PCV valve?

To stop the pinging, I disconnected the battery (when I got a new Redtop) this past fall. The pinging has not come back. But it also has gotten colder here in NJ. The truck does not ping when it is cold out.

The reason I haven't gotten fixed again is I don't feel like explaining/arguing with the "service consultant" at the dealership and having them charge me $85 for something I know is wrong. Maybe in the springtime.....

Stone

#636990 - 15/12/04 11:07 AM Re: Fuel Economy
Anonymous
Unregistered

You can always get a Flowmaster muffler smile they reduce the heat underneath the hood, possibly prolonging the life of your knock sensor AND you get the nice little itty bitty rumble from the engine

#636991 - 15/12/04 11:13 AM Re: Fuel Economy
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the replies. As for the cold weather related gas problems, this X is on the west coast of Florida. STILL love it though. Maybe if I cap off 4 of the fuel injectors, it will run like crap but I'll get 30 MPG???? laugh

#636992 - 15/12/04 02:28 PM Re: Fuel Economy
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Horns180:
You can always get a Flowmaster muffler smile they reduce the heat underneath the hood, possibly prolonging the life of your knock sensor AND you get the nice little itty bitty rumble from the engine
How does a muffler (higher flow of above) reduce the heat under the good?

#636993 - 15/12/04 02:39 PM Re: Fuel Economy
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by 02terra:
Quote:
[b]You can always get a Flowmaster muffler smile they reduce the heat underneath the hood, possibly prolonging the life of your knock sensor AND you get the nice little itty bitty rumble from the engine
How does a muffler (higher flow of above) reduce the heat under the good?[/b]
It doesn't. wink

#636994 - 15/12/04 03:03 PM Re: Fuel Economy
Stonecoldchavez Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Quote:
I don't need a Flowmaster, I already have a Magnaflow cat-back system on. Nice suggestion though... smile

Stone

#636995 - 17/12/04 10:16 AM Re: Fuel Economy
Anonymous
Unregistered

If anyone wants to read a lot about fuel ecomomy, hybrid info. etc., check this discussion out:

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/05/12/1436225&mode=thread&tid=126

#636996 - 17/12/04 11:12 AM Re: Fuel Economy
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by tahoe_x:
Quote:
Originally posted by Cyclemut:
[b]We don't know why folks blow the knock sensor off.
Probably because it costs us upwards of $400 to get replaced!!

From what I little I read off a website about knock sensors, they only affect the engine when it is predetonating (pinging). After I did a search on XOC about knock sensors, YOU also said that they only have an effect on engine timing, not emissions or fuel metering. Therefore, if the sensor is dead, it wont be adjusting the timing. Therefore, if you get the timing adjusted and run good gas, our trucks should be fine.

I know you make money off of these repairs and thats probably the reason you are pro-knock sensor, but WE are the ones who have to pay for that ridiculously expensive repair.[/b]
Well, jackass, I've also spoken with a couple of Nissan engineers (they come around during our schools, getting questions and ideas from us assholes that make money off of you) and they stated the fuel mixture gets fattened up as well.

You seem to forget tahoe_x that I also have an Xterra. I don't relish working on my own rig. I don't sell knock sensors every day. I know it's expensive for you, but it's a huge pain in the ass for us 'thieves with wrenches'.

Do it or don't do it, I don't really care. I don't work on everyone's vehicles here, only a couple. I don't give a rat's ass if anyone takes their vehicles to a dealership to get repaired or does it themselves.

Most folks here are more than capable of doing the sensor themselves, if they'd get the gumption to.

So it you're going to sit there, and question my advice, then don't take it. But you'd better quit bitchin' about your gas mileage, lack of power and anything else mechanical about your Xterra.

Go out and wash and wax your X. Vacuum the french fries out of your seats and hit the mall.

#636997 - 17/12/04 11:24 AM Re: Fuel Economy
Anonymous
Unregistered

That rediculously expensive repair...

Made my X feel like NEW!! Engine perfomed so much better, fuel economy went back up. So by all means if you want your vehicle to run like crap get terrible gas mileage and more dont replace it.

I believe most people blow it off because the check engie light does not come on with it and figure since it did not come on it is not important enough to replace.

#636998 - 18/12/04 08:05 PM Re: Fuel Economy
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think I will investigate the sensor more after the new year. I will keep yall posted on the results if any.

#636999 - 20/12/04 11:41 PM Re: Fuel Economy
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is there any way to protect the sensor, wrap it in some header wrap or build a little heat shield?

Sounds like it's a pain to get to, but might be worth it in the long run.

#637000 - 28/12/04 10:20 PM Re: Fuel Economy
Anonymous
Unregistered

On my anual trip from Northern WI to Milwaukee for Xmas, I drove the 2002 Pathfinder because it has more room than the X. Set the cruise at 73 and only saw 3 Xterras (they all passed me) during the entire trip down and back, and all were going at least 80.

A tip for fuel economy-SLOW DOWN!!!
[Spit]

#637001 - 29/12/04 02:06 PM Re: Fuel Economy
Anonymous
Unregistered

Another thing that a lot of people tend to over look that plays a big part in the whole fuel economy thing is the tires. Remember that in the warmer months that the air inside the tires heat up so that causes the tires to expand a little more then usual and the opposite occurs in the winter time. That is a reason to keep an eye on the tires during the winter months since the cool weather causes the tires' to have a lower pressure.

Lower pressure= crappy gas mileage and NO higher tire pressure will not increase your gas mileage. wink

#637002 - 30/12/04 06:55 PM Re: Fuel Economy
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom:
On my anual trip from Northern WI to Milwaukee for Xmas, I drove the 2002 Pathfinder because it has more room than the X. Set the cruise at 73 and only saw 3 Xterras (they all passed me) during the entire trip down and back, and all were going at least 80.

A tip for fuel economy-SLOW DOWN!!!
[Spit]
Hell, even going 70mph eats gas like a sucker.
65 is better.

Enough with mileage posts already.

#637003 - 30/12/04 07:43 PM Re: Fuel Economy
Anonymous
Unregistered

On a recent trip to Tennessee and back I got about 15-16 mpg doing 65-70 on the spedometer, but the GPS said 75-80 mph. I have 32 inch tires so if the mileage on the odometer is corrected it may be closer to 17-18 mpg. This type of gas mileage is not bad for an underpowered 5000lb truck.

There was on exception when I got 9.8 mpg going 60 mph. I suspect the gas was watered down.

Allen replaced my knock sensor under warranty, so if you are still covered have it fixed. It will make a world of difference in power and mpg. I couldn't believe the power the X gets at sea level compared to Denver.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal