2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#639245 - 05/06/05 07:37 PM Engine Rattling
Xterran28 Offline

Loc: Virginia Beach, Va, USA
Hey there...been awhile, been too busy with my other mode of transportation (gs500), but recently my 2001 (75+K) has had significant loss of power. (going uphill biggest difference) I do the usual oil change, fuel filter, engine flush (dealer $$$$$) [Freak] . Saw a slight improvement, and now i hear a rattling at low rpms. Asked the dealer bout it and he said just heat shield?? ehhh help. THanks in advance.
Life is a blast when you know what your doing best to know what your doing before your life get ruined. Life is a thrill when your skill is developed if you ain't got a skill or trade, then shut the hell up.
-Hieroglyphics

#639246 - 06/06/05 09:18 AM Re: Engine Rattling
Paco Pico Offline

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Possibly a plugged catalyst - causing high exhaust backpressure.

With high backpressure the hot exhaust gas gets trapped in the cylinder, and lowers the threshold for pre-ignition, or pinging - possibly the rattling noise you hear.

Makes sense too that when the engine is loaded (ie. going up hills) it would be worse, as the exhaust temperatures raise when the engine is under a load, and the pre-ignition would be exacerbated.

#639247 - 06/06/05 03:07 PM Re: Engine Rattling
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is your engine temp raising? I would think that if your cat converter is plugged, the engine temp will raise.

#639248 - 07/06/05 06:30 AM Re: Engine Rattling
Xterran28 Offline

OK sounds fixable confused . Easy fix or dealer job? Thanks
Life is a blast when you know what your doing best to know what your doing before your life get ruined. Life is a thrill when your skill is developed if you ain't got a skill or trade, then shut the hell up.
-Hieroglyphics

#639249 - 07/06/05 06:31 AM Re: Engine Rattling
Xterran28 Offline

ohh forgot to mention, no no temp rising. At least that's what the gauge says. smile
-Hieroglyphics

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal