Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 137 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#639448 - 25/01/05 04:14 AM NOS systems
Anonymous
Unregistered

Has anyone installed a NOS system in an Xterra?

It would be a lot cheaper than adding a supercharger.

What are the pros and cons of adding nitrous oxide to the 3.3L V6 engine?

They claim it will boost the Horsepower of any stock engine!

#639449 - 25/01/05 04:23 AM Re: NOS systems
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here it comes. Get your flame suit ready. :rolleyes:

#639450 - 25/01/05 06:09 AM Re: NOS systems
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
What's wrong with adding a NOS kit?I know I've been in a few situations where I was going up a steep hill and a small 50-75 shot would have helped out greatly....

#639451 - 25/01/05 06:19 AM Re: NOS systems
NuDan Offline

Loc: Not Here
"Kitt, hit the Turbo Boost!"

"yes Michael"

:rolleyes: [LOL]

#639452 - 25/01/05 06:56 AM Re: NOS systems
gearhead1972 Offline

Loc: Brewster NY
The long term effects of NoS on a stock engine do not make it cheaper or a worth while alternative for a daily driver.

#639453 - 25/01/05 06:59 AM Re: NOS systems
Anonymous
Unregistered

it can work on a stock engine but you have to know a lot about the engine you are working on. i have yet to hear of anyone in an X running it. i'm big into the Saturn scene (my old car) and a lot of guys are running NITROUS in their's and it works fine on the stock engine. you just need to know when you can and can't spray. it would be pointless in an X though.

#639454 - 25/01/05 07:23 PM Re: NOS systems
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm glad someone brought this up. The Xterra is the perfect candidate for nitrous: you can't fit a bigger engine, no off the shelf supercharger kits, and it is beyond me why anyone would spend $800 trying to squeeze 14 extra horsepower using a different air filter and cat-back exhaust. NOS is great if you don't lean out your engine and burn a hole in a piston.

I've looked at some "wet" and some "dry" systems. Any of you guys who have used nitrous care to explain the differences and benefits of either?

#639455 - 25/01/05 07:52 PM Re: NOS systems
Anonymous
Unregistered

wet kits spray fuel into the intake as well as nitrous. dry kits only spray in nitrous. i'm not sure if X's have returnless fuel systems or not. i really don't see a point in puttin nitrous in an X as nitrous is more for racing applications. you won't be able to use it offroad as it will backfire and blow up the engine if under 3000 RMPs. at least this was the case with saturns. trade urs for an SE S/C or 05 X and save yourself the hassle.

#639456 - 25/01/05 07:54 PM Re: NOS systems
Anonymous
Unregistered

A wet system also injects extra gas in with the Nitrous. Totaly independent of the vehicle's own fuel system, the Nitrous kit could utilize a higher octane fuel (104 anyone?) to inject with the Nitrous. Making it a wet system.

The dry systems only inject the Nitrous, and depend on the vehicle's fuel supply to get the extra fuel. Whatever is in the gas tank is used to go with the Nitrous. When activated, the Nitrous system would also trigger something to boost the fuel pressure, or use a computer to richen the fuel mixture enough to be safe for the Nitrous.

Now there are different systems.

There are wet systems that use the vehicle's fuel system, but use the fuel that's in the fuel return line to go back and get injected with the Nitrous. And there are different ways to inject the mix. Shark nozzles, injector base nozzles and single injection nozzles among others.

Nitrous however is only used at wide open throttle, and mostly above 3K rpm. The nozzles usually have interchangeable tips, to differentiate between the powers, as in a 35hp tip, 50hp tip, 70hp tip, etc.

I could see the 3.3 being good to about 70hp, but that's a max. Other weak links would begin to show. Aluminum transmissions, t-cases and small u-joints would tend to show their condition more quickly when the juice is applied.

#639457 - 25/01/05 08:28 PM Re: NOS systems
Anonymous
Unregistered

^^ 104 would work fine but 92 is really all you need. anything higher than 92 is fine though.

but yes, only at wide open throttle and above 3k. our redline is at like 5750 so it dosn't leave much room for you to use it, making it pointless.

#639458 - 25/01/05 10:30 PM Re: NOS systems
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by jparf:
...but yes, only at wide open throttle and above 3k. our redline is at like 5750 so it dosn't leave much room for you to use it, making it pointless.
Exactly. You'd redline way too fast, and probably over-rev and float a valve. Not too good.

But still, a mudder without regard to his own vehicle could have some fun before buying a new powerplant.

#639459 - 25/01/05 10:36 PM Re: NOS systems
Anonymous
Unregistered

So what you are saying is that NOS is crack cocaine to engines!

If you do use it, don't expect to see 100K on the odometer.

#639460 - 26/01/05 05:58 AM Re: NOS systems
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Xterra:
...no off the shelf supercharger kits
Oh... silly me... these guys will be disappointed to hear that:
[img]http://www.tonemonday.com/images/nissan_sc/nissansc[1].jpg[/img]

#639461 - 26/01/05 06:06 AM Re: NOS systems
Lincoln Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
I can't stand how Fast and the Furious (what a horrible movie) has renamed Nitrous "NOS." That is the name of a company, of a brand for fucks sake.

It is like calling all TV's a Sony.

#639462 - 26/01/05 06:45 AM Re: NOS systems
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well it's no worse than using a Cleanex, Q-Tip, or Xerox!

Any suggestions on a wet system for the 3.3?

#639463 - 26/01/05 06:46 AM Re: NOS systems
Anonymous
Unregistered

See, I always thought "NOS" meant New Old Stock...

But I guess that's 'cause I used to buy parts for an old Honda bike I had... Darn near everything was "NOS" for that..

#639464 - 26/01/05 07:55 AM Re: NOS systems
Anonymous
Unregistered

ugh, if you REALLY REALLY REALLY wanna try and hook up a wet kit get either a Holly NOS system or NX. They are the best. Stay away from Zex because they suck. If i were to nitrous my old saturn i was gonna use NX.

#639465 - 26/01/05 08:45 AM Re: NOS systems
rfritz Offline

Loc: Indianapolis
[LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

#639466 - 26/01/05 10:58 AM Re: NOS systems
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser:
Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Xterra:
[b]...no off the shelf supercharger kits
Oh... silly me... these guys will be disappointed to hear that:
[img]http://www.tonemonday.com/images/nissan_sc/nissansc[1].jpg[/img][/b]
It has been carb pending for years (2?).
I don't consider it to be available untill they are willing to sell it, at the moment you cannot buy one.

#639467 - 26/01/05 11:16 AM Re: NOS systems
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Lincoln:
I can't stand how Fast and the Furious (what a horrible movie) has renamed Nitrous "NOS." That is the name of a company, of a brand for fucks sake.

I'd have to disagree with you on that one, Lincoln. NOS stands for "Nitrous Oxide System". If there's a name brand called so (which I haven't heard of) then it's fine.

So in the movie by by saying "I'm using NOS" they mean "Nitrous Oxide System" there's nothing wrong with that.

#639468 - 26/01/05 12:57 PM Re: NOS systems
BoneCrusher Offline

Loc: In a Bar near YOU!
I want to say something that hasnt been said yet. Nitrous is only a burst of power. First the X's engine will never be able to utilize a Nitrous boost kit without floating a valve and or blowing a gasket. Nitrous isnt a continous boost like a turbo or supercharger is. Someone using Nitrous on their rig is going to burn out the engine because of the weight the engine is pulling first of all and the actual weight of the tires. You guys are looking for a quick boost in power at the push of a button. Quick being around 5 seconds of boost. To a redline street race this is a LONG time. But driving on the highway its not likely to do anything for you. Youd be better off getting an exhaust, new headers, new intake, camshaft replacements, charged ECU, and smaller tires. That right there should give you 15-20 horses ALL THE TIME. And be less exhaustive on your engines life.

Oh and if you really were thinking of racing your X on a drag strip. Go ahead and sell it for a hyundai...I hear those are really fast cars.

Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store not a government agency

99% of democrats give the rest a bad name

Liberals are constantly Inflaming the culture war. They seem to forget which side has all the guns.

#639469 - 26/01/05 01:08 PM Re: NOS systems
Lincoln Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally posted by 02terra:
Quote:
[b]I can't stand how Fast and the Furious (what a horrible movie) has renamed Nitrous "NOS." That is the name of a company, of a brand for fucks sake.

I'd have to disagree with you on that one, Lincoln. NOS stands for "Nitrous Oxide System". If there's a name brand called so (which I haven't heard of) then it's fine.

So in the movie by by saying "I'm using NOS" they mean "Nitrous Oxide System" there's nothing wrong with that.[/b]
Actually you are wrong pally, NOS stands for "Nitrous Oxide Systems" which is in fact a company.

Click for linky

It is a brand name. The product is just Nitrous...period. I used to be a ricer head back in 1998. I had a 240sx that was all suped up, I read Sport Compact Car magazine, and Turbo magazine....and then I grew up.

#639470 - 26/01/05 02:21 PM Re: NOS systems
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by 02terra:
[b]
Quote:
[b]I can't stand how Fast and the Furious (what a horrible movie) has renamed Nitrous "NOS." That is the name of a company, of a brand for fucks sake.

So in the movie by by saying "I'm using NOS" they mean "Nitrous Oxide System" there's nothing wrong with that.[/b]
Actually you are wrong pally, NOS stands for "Nitrous Oxide Systems" which is in fact a company.

Click for linky

It is a brand name. The product is just Nitrous...period. I used to be a ricer head back in 1998. I had a 240sx that was all suped up, I read Sport Compact Car magazine, and Turbo magazine....and then I grew up.[/b]
I understand your point, but look at it this way: Nitrous Oxide Systems in a brand name and I don't argue that. What I'm saying is that the whole "setup" of Nitrous that you put in the car can also be called "Nitrous Oxide System". Afterall, you ARE using Nitrous Oxide, aren't you? And since it's installed in your car to perform a task it can be called "System".

For example: A company called "Swift". They do delivery, but it doesn't mean that 'swift' can't be used as an adjective to describe movement.

Exactly the same concept with "NOS" or "Nitrous Oxide System".

EDIT: By the way, the product is actually Notrous Oxide, to be politically and chemically correct, however some call it just 'nitrous'

#639471 - 26/01/05 02:48 PM Re: NOS systems
Anonymous
Unregistered

if you want to know the wrong way to use the term go rent the fast and the furious. otherwise its called nitrous our you can say your car/truck is 'juiced' or 'bottle fed'.

calling is NOS is wrong unless you own holley's kit.

#639472 - 26/01/05 02:57 PM Re: NOS systems
Anonymous
Unregistered

this is not reall that off topic, but my friend from a japan motorsports mentioned that I could maybe fit a Nissan Skyline GT-R engine in the xterra. Anyone tried that out.

Probably cost 5000 to get the engine and itll make a killer speed racer...but really nuts....just wondering the possibility though considering that they managed to put a pathfinder enginer in an xterra.

p.s - NO WAY I AM GETTING THAT DONE---car relaibilty will go down.... smile

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal