Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#639548 - 15/02/05 01:27 PM Re: NOS systems
BoneCrusher Offline

Loc: In a Bar near YOU!
Just_Blue

I think with a NOS system your gonna need to do the exhaust and intake as well.

I think anyway Im not sure. Cause with all that extra power on demand your gonna need somewhere for the exhaust to go and your going to need a bigger inrush of air.

Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store not a government agency

99% of democrats give the rest a bad name

Liberals are constantly Inflaming the culture war. They seem to forget which side has all the guns.

#639549 - 15/02/05 06:07 PM Re: NOS systems
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by BoneCrusher:
Just_Blue

I think with a NOS system your gonna need to do the exhaust and intake as well.

I think anyway Im not sure. Cause with all that extra power on demand your gonna need somewhere for the exhaust to go and your going to need a bigger inrush of air.
You don't "need" to do it, but it is a good ideal.

#639550 - 15/02/05 10:27 PM Re: NOS systems
stormy Offline

Loc: NH
I agreee... It's not required but would only help the system out... and the fine people at Holley/NOS did tell me that wink

#639551 - 16/02/05 01:37 AM Re: NOS systems
Anonymous
Unregistered

wow, i'm amazed at the quick and helpful responses. Thanks guys! And thanks whoever e-mailed me!

#639552 - 16/02/05 06:18 AM Re: NOS systems
stormy Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Just_Blue:
And thanks whoever e-mailed me!
No problem...

#639553 - 17/02/05 11:09 AM Re: NOS systems
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by stormy:
Ummm... so whats the story behind that? NO2 doesn't just blow up without a spark.
Actually Nitrous isn't flammable. Would even blow with a spark. Nitrous is an oxidizer. The oxygen density in a molecule of N2O is higher then in air compressd by a strong blower. Throw in enough fuel to be stoic and you have a much bigger bang.

This issue with nitrous is you introduce a piss-ton of power. Nitrous is a torque builder. Regardless where you are in the power band, you can add a ton of torque with a nitrous shot. If you're too low and the engine isn't free to rev, you can apply enough power to the piston that things start to break. However, this does not mean you can't boost at low rpm. I have seen several systems that are progressive nitrous. Most are direct port and use auxillary injectors to basicly run the nitrous in tandem to the MPI fueling. The amount of nitrous is controlled by a computer reading the same sensors that are determining fuel injector pulse width. So at low rpms, a small amount of nitrous is being injected. Enough to boost the torqe and supply a good power increase, but not enough to break something. As rpm increases, the amount of nitrous increases.

These systems are costly and very advanced. They also require a large tank as they are not small single shots used a a/4 mile at a time. So in short you can build a nitrous system to do what you want it to do. You just have to know what you're doing or find someone that does.

The only bad thing I do see about the X when it comes to nitrous, which will be a MAJOR problem, is that it's DIS. Since it uses a coilpacks controlled by the ECU, you can't install an aftermarket ignition controll or even higher output coil. To safely run nitrous you really need a stronger spark controlled by an ignition that you can manually, on the fly, retard the spark timing. Running too advanced spark timing while spraying can lead to detonation which is very very bad. You also lack a way of bypassing the stock rev limiter. The stock limiter works by cutting fuel to random cylindars. A digital ignition will just cut spark. Hitting the limiter and cutting fuel while spraying will in effect cause the worst possible lean case you can imagine. This equates to holes burned in cylindars.

So nitrous in an X-terra could be done. It could be done to assist in even rock crawling and boosting low end torque. However you won't be able to just throw on a dry kit with a WOT or "go" switch and call it a day. It will take planning and money, but if done right will leave you very happy.

#639554 - 17/02/05 03:36 PM Re: NOS systems
Anonymous
Unregistered

sounds pretty risky... How do the Xterra's that have allready had this done not having these problems?

#639555 - 17/02/05 03:46 PM Re: NOS systems
Anonymous
Unregistered

they probably weren't running a strong enough shot to cause issues, or just hadn't beat on it long enough to break something yet. The x also has a knock sensor which will retard timing when it detects detonation, so that is helping but not perfect. I'm also willing to bet they were pretty much just running top end spray. SO they had good acceleration, but the nitrous wasn't really helping with the off roading aspect of driving.

#639556 - 21/02/05 06:00 AM Re: NOS systems
Anonymous
Unregistered

Stormy
Where is the nozzle plumbed into on your nitrous system? Is it in the plastic tube on the intake?

#639557 - 21/02/05 02:42 PM Re: NOS systems
stormy Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Xterra:
Stormy
Where is the nozzle plumbed into on your nitrous system? Is it in the plastic tube on the intake?
I removed the resonator box and capped and sealed the hole. I then used the capped hole for the nozzle. Worked out pretty good.

#639558 - 19/06/05 08:33 PM Re: NOS systems
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you guys are looking for a fast suv, the xterra is not the way to go, get a 98 jeep 5.9L V8, that car hauls balls.. and its all wheel drive. Or if u want to stay on the street a little, Get a 92 or 93 GMC cyclone... I thiinnk those are the fastest stock suvs out there but maybe not.. xterras are not made for speed, but I know what you are all tlking about when u say that you want to have a little extra boost when your out there, I do too

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal