Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#640606 - 07/01/05 05:28 PM Re: Why do people bash the N/A V6?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The 210 hp provided by the S/C sounds great, but now you will be paying premium fuel prices while the '05 X owner will top off with the regular and have 50 plus hp over the '04 S/C. If the N/A V6 is not enough, head out to the dealer this week and trade up to the super powered '05. It doesn't have the looks of the '02-'04, but the power issue will be behind you.

#640607 - 08/01/05 01:15 AM Re: Why do people bash the N/A V6?
RJ Offline

Loc: 100 Mile House, BC
North Americans are just too spoiled. Compare the 3.3 V6 to other 4x4 SUV and "jeep" type vehicles around the world, and you'll quickly see that the X is not bad at all.

100 hp diesel Defenders and Land Cruisers roamed all over the globe before soccer moms had their 8.1 Suburbans and 6.8 Excursions (and offcourse, the H2). Fully loaded 80,000 lbs semis with 450 hp is a lot worse than an 10,000 X/trailer combo with 180 hp.

It all depends what you compare it to. I find the 3.3 a very "truckish" engine - slow, but torquey, and relatively low revving. It could use better gas mileage though.

#640608 - 08/01/05 01:43 AM Re: Why do people bash the N/A V6?
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by RJ:
Fully loaded 80,000 lbs semis with 450 hp is a lot worse than an 10,000 X/trailer combo with 180 hp.

Mine (Detroit Series 60) has 470 HP and 1650 ft lbs of torque at 1200 RPM! laugh Empty it will blow an Xterra off the road, especially from say 35 MPH to 65 MPH, loaded, well, it's damn quick considering the weight! BTW, it also can get 13 MPG while bobtailing, which is still about 20,000 lbs to push around.

#640609 - 08/01/05 10:47 AM Re: Why do people bash the N/A V6?
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
I think every one would be best served by thoroughly test driving anything they are considering the purchase of...and evaluating if they would be happy with the performance of...

The window stickers give an idea of fuel use/grade...and between the two...a realistic expectation should be formed.

I keep seeing people buy a rig, and then complain that they can't stand how slow it is, that it gets 17 mpg, etc...why didn't they notice before they pluncked down the $?

It all comes back to pre-purchase research/evaluation...do it, you buy happy.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#640610 - 08/01/05 06:41 PM Re: Why do people bash the N/A V6?
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Quote:
Originally posted by J.D.M.:
The 210 hp provided by the S/C sounds great, but now you will be paying premium fuel prices while the '05 X owner will top off with the regular and have 50 plus hp over the '04 S/C.
Ahh, but my X will be paid off. Premium fuel or not, I'll still be ahead.

Doesn't mean I still don't want an '05 tho wink Less than a 20% increase in cost for Premium - less than one payment a year for most folks...

#640611 - 10/01/05 04:33 PM Re: Why do people bash the N/A V6?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am right with you, Prem or not, I would rather have an '02-'04 S/C vs. 265hp-'05, it is just a better looking rig.

#640612 - 12/01/05 08:30 AM Re: Why do people bash the N/A V6?
BigE515 Offline

Loc: Chelmsford,MA
Quote:
I am right with you, Prem or not, I would rather have an '02-'04 S/C vs. 265hp-'05, it is just a better looking rig.
I agree but after seeing a pic of a '05 X with a Calmini bumper instead of the huge fugly stock bumper, I'd buy one. The stock front bumper would be on Ebay the day after I bought it though!

#640613 - 18/01/05 05:56 PM Re: Why do people bash the N/A V6?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by bonedog:
Quote:
She currently drives a KIA Sportage and It scares me because it is soooo underpowered.
Ha! I used to drive a Kia Sportage(5 speed stick shift) and it wasn't so bad, the engine was louder than a bus engine though.[/QB]
Ha ha, you sure about that?
wink I drive a Thomas International Bus everyday for my job with the Mercedes Rear Engine, and even in the rear, it sounds like the Earth is buckling under pressure everytime I start it and hit the gas [Uh Oh !]

Just givin' ya a hard time, back to the topic!!!!

I have had the pleasure of having both N/A and supercharged vehicles, in more than just the X...the one problem with the X's Eaton supercharger is that it is extremely underpowered for the engine it's on. Look at the HP difference between the N/A and the S/C versions of the X. It's not THAT big of a difference. Now, if you stick an Eaton M90 on that thing rather than the 60 series, now that would be a noticeable and thoroughly enjoyable experience. Not that I don't enjoy my S/C X, but I'm just saying, it could be more.

Change the pulley on it and add an intake and exhaust, then you're talking about a different animal all together...but I haven't noticed many people doing that here, and I probably wouldn't either. If I'm going to use it mostly for light to moderate off roading, I don't see the point as it will never really utilized the full potential of a pulley swap...anyways, just my .02. I'm not a N/A basher, I certainly would have no right to be. What you bought was your choice, and you had your reasons, just as those of us who chose the S/C version had our own. Whatever they were, we all drive the X, and we should all just be happy dammit [Laughing]

#640614 - 20/01/05 12:46 PM Re: Why do people bash the N/A V6?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
you've GOT to be kidding me [Spit] . that original front end is absolutely hideous! nissan tried so hard to make that thing look like a one-night-fling between a jeep and a mountain goat that they got the proportions ALL wrong with the headlights and grill area. some like it, but all i can say is that i thought the original front ends were wretched! This 05 model looks so much better in so many areas - especially now that it falls in line more accurately with the rest of the nissan trucks for styling. granted, the bumper is pretty obnoxious but the headlight change is all it took to convince me to wait for the 05 arrival. I would like to see some more interior options for colors and materials but i guess if i'm going to be that picky i might as well buy a pathfinder or a 4runner.

the added power to the X is SORELY needed. this thing is exactly what the segment needs now. that previous 3.3 V6 was anemic even with the supercharger. i can only imagine what a stroked version of the 350Z powerplant is going to feel like in this thing.

#640615 - 20/01/05 10:19 PM Re: Why do people bash the N/A V6?
Excelagator Offline

Loc: Wisconsin...The show me how to...
I have a NA V-6 and it is fine. Yeah it could have more power, but everyone thinks that. I have towed 2 trailers in tandem last summer over 2000 miles in one trip. In fact, I towed a 92 Toyota 4x4 200 miles home last weekend.

Dan

#640616 - 21/01/05 09:28 AM Re: Why do people bash the N/A V6?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't mind the NA V-6 cause when I wanna go fast I just hop into my slighty modded 2005 STi laugh

#640617 - 22/01/05 04:04 PM Re: Why do people bash the N/A V6?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I traded my 94 Pathfinder for my new Xterra SC and MAN this thing is quick!
I was reading a review a few days ago comparing our X to the competition - RAV4, CRV etc and they kept saying how they handle better, they are faster THEY ARE BUILT ON A CAR FRAME... hello!!
Last I checked the Xterra is built on a truck frame! This thing isn't a car?! why do they compare it to a car?! I think, for a SUV, this thing handles quite well, and delivers plenty of punch.
I was one of the guys that went in to buy a XE or SE but when I drove the SE-SC I couldn't help it - I luv the extra kick it's got and forked out the $

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal