Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 137 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#641674 - 26/02/04 08:24 PM Re: Headers Genuine Interest.
Anonymous
Unregistered

And I think I make 10. 10 people who need headers that is. [Smoking]

#641675 - 27/02/04 08:54 AM Re: Headers Genuine Interest.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
xterra312002

i would be interested. just do what most people here do. forget the emissions go give some mom and pop store 50 bucks and WOW you have a valid emissions test!!!!!
Don't know about there, but here they are making everyone put the trucks on a dyno now, and the computer data is sent to dmv.. Good luck with the $50..

#641676 - 27/02/04 09:32 AM Re: Headers Genuine Interest.
01SalsaXterra Offline

Loc: Suffolk County,NY,USA
Quote:
posted February 26, 2004 08:47 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i would be interested. just do what most people here do. forget the emissions go give some mom and pop store 50 bucks and WOW you have a valid emissions test!!!!!
I already did that in the past here in NY when I had my Grand national with the Vette motor in it. There was no way I was passing the Inspection running 111 octane. laugh
My local shop hooked me up for $50.

I dont want to go down that route again.

I'd rather be careful about my mods when it comes to emmissions. It saves me the headache later. [ThumbsUp]

Besides, I still have my fun with cars running 111 octane. I have a 1970 Nova with the previously mentioned motor/tranny combo. And now its 100% legit with New york state inspection. Safety only!!! WooHoo!! laugh

The Xterra was safety only for the past three years, but this year was the first for the emmissions.

I got "IT" from ebay.
Now it burns when I pee..

#641677 - 27/02/04 10:20 AM Re: Headers Genuine Interest.
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Quote:
Originally posted by 01SalsaXterra:
Any benefit to going with a single cat instead of the two or four? Will this screw up the ECM and trigger the SES light?
2 cats are apparently easy enough, as I mentioned before I've seen some inexpensive little doo-dads that are designed to replace the second pair of 02 sensors and deliver an "OK" signal. The OBD-II system apparently doesn't use the second set of sensors in any way other than as a potential flag that the main cats have failed, they are not involved in the closed-loop feedback.
Going down to 1 main cat would probably also be easy enough, the 02 sensors should stay far upstream, but the cat itself could be located further down. It really should be as close to the exhaust ports as possible so it can get to and maintain light-off temperature as easily as possible.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#641678 - 07/03/04 11:33 PM Re: Headers Genuine Interest.
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Anything new on this? smile

#641679 - 15/03/04 09:04 PM Re: Headers Genuine Interest.
Anonymous
Unregistered

With as much weight as we all have added to our X's through modifications, sometimes nealy half a ton, And with some trucks I've heard they will replace the factory headers for much lighter alloy ones. what are your coments on this? If I could make a reasonable weight conservation as well as power increase I would buy performance headers for the xterra. It's all about weight. I want a skinny girlfriend, not a fat chick...

#641680 - 22/03/04 08:43 PM Re: Headers Genuine Interest.
Strom Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I just saw this thread...

I would definitely be interested if they pass emissions. I'll be moving back to California in two weeks, so I need them to pass even visual inspection. Other than that, I couldn't commit.

#641681 - 27/09/04 07:13 PM Re: Headers Genuine Interest.
XPLORx4 Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
Did anything ever materialize as a result of this investigation?

#641682 - 30/09/04 01:09 PM Re: Headers Genuine Interest.
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
Bump. The other thread reminded me about this one.

My buddy at JP has been getting a few e-mails inquiring about the headers and I'm guessing that XPLORx4 might be behind the idea that a Nissan Parts Distributer is inquiring as well.

After a few more questions get answered we might well be on our way to getting the ball rolling.

He's been slammed with recent projects lately.

The idea that you can keep all the cats on an X if you go with a tight 12 inch shorty header like the one I described earlier looks like a strong possibility. It should be able to pass smog since you are keeping the cats and should see gains of 10-12 HP when combined with an exhaust system.

XPLORx4 - what are the significant differences between the X and your pathy space wise and cat wise that would make both pieces compatable? Would an X header be a direct fit with the Pathy?

#641683 - 30/09/04 03:28 PM Re: Headers Genuine Interest.
Anonymous
Unregistered

If it is CARB legal, count me in also...

#641684 - 30/09/04 03:36 PM Re: Headers Genuine Interest.
slamson00 Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA
I am definately in if you can dyno a 15 to 20 hp increase and make it pass all tests here in California....in addition to not making those little "idiot" lights start going off all over my dash. laugh Paying around $1000 doesn't sound to over the top for that kind of increase......since I could then couple it with my flowmaster and K&N FIPK for a nice complete package....hopefully still smog legal.

#641685 - 30/09/04 03:52 PM Re: Headers Genuine Interest.
xterrabull Offline

Loc: san jose, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Xtopher:
My guess is they won't spend the time & money to make 'em CARB legal.
So, you'd have to find a shop that doesn't take the visual inspection too seriously...which is probably getting harder & harder to find these days.

#641686 - 30/09/04 05:49 PM Re: Headers Genuine Interest.
Anonymous
Unregistered

first of all we all know that you can go to a mom and pop shop and have them give you an inspection sticker for a few bucks more...so CARB sticker isnt really a bother...just fyi

#641687 - 30/09/04 07:41 PM Re: Headers Genuine Interest.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Jrbbikerx:
first of all we all know that you can go to a mom and pop shop and have them give you an inspection sticker for a few bucks more...so CARB sticker isnt really a bother...just fyi
Not in this state. $10k fine for the mech that does that. We have inspectors going around attempting to bribe them. Just another way to fund our Colorado AIR program.

#641688 - 30/09/04 08:59 PM Re: Headers Genuine Interest.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyclemut:
Quote:
Originally posted by Jrbbikerx:
[b]first of all we all know that you can go to a mom and pop shop and have them give you an inspection sticker for a few bucks more...so CARB sticker isnt really a bother...just fyi
Not in this state. $10k fine for the mech that does that. We have inspectors going around attempting to bribe them. Just another way to fund our Colorado AIR program.[/b]
There is a loophole now for going to an inspection shop. The clean air program is now setting up vans with sensors to test your emmisions as you drive by. they take a picture of you plates and record your emmissions. You have to get scanned I think 3 times to avoid going to the shop for a test. I have gone through it twice this year in Highlands Ranch. They put them on on ramps to catch you accelerating.

Here is a link to the program:

http://aircarecolorado.com/rapidscreen/index.html

#641689 - 30/09/04 09:47 PM Re: Headers Genuine Interest.
Anonymous
Unregistered

You know, I thought that would be a great thing. I wish they'd set up in some of the 'other' neighborhoods and actually ticket the offenders as well. Smokers and burners should get either a 'fix it' ticket or a 'crush it' ticket.

Heck, Lemondrop is clean as a whistle. After an engine rebuild and rejetting the carb, clean as my '02 Sentra!

#641690 - 01/10/04 01:40 AM Re: Headers Genuine Interest.
Strom Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Socal, I would definitely be interested if they come out with a CARB exemption.

By the way, have you checked your PMs?

#641691 - 01/10/04 07:11 PM Re: Headers Genuine Interest.
Anonymous
Unregistered

New to the SF bay area, and a few years old for the central valley, and southern cal.. they put your car / truck on what ammounts to a treadmill, and run it up to 50mph or somthing, under load.. to see what the emetions are at crusing speed.. the results are electronicly send to DMV.. about the only way i could see you skirting it is to have somone with the same model truck, do the test for you (and paying off the tech).. If it plugs into the OBDII (which I think it does) then you are sunk..I will tell you next May when mine is due..

#641692 - 02/10/04 08:29 AM Re: Headers Genuine Interest.
Anonymous
Unregistered

anyway, for those of us that don't have to worry about laws, does anybody have any outcome to this header situation?

#641693 - 02/10/04 09:19 AM Re: Headers Genuine Interest.
Anonymous
Unregistered

the only headers i know of is SLR.. the x has 4 o2 sensors, 2 on each side, 1 before the primary cat, 1 after. I don't know how ditching the primary will effect the signal from te 2 sencors after it.. could cause the computer to throw a code..

#641694 - 03/10/04 03:16 AM Re: Headers Genuine Interest.
Xcalibur Offline

Loc: Moss Lake, Texas
maybe some help here...
...as far as any visual checks from emissions, no ideas for them looking at the shorties but I've had my converters on my Chevy truck gutted and had a straight thru pipe put in so it looks like they're there and the straight pipe keeps flow without it bouncing around in the canister. of course emissions tests will prove otherwise. And on my X, I also put the 24" Magnaflow Muff with dual inlets and single out to eliminate the 'Y' or 'H' pipe contraversy that also saved space....
...maybe some help.

Lead, follow or get the hell out of my way!!!

'01 Khaki XE-V6 4x4 3-pk
SWXC member #35

#641695 - 03/10/04 08:57 AM Re: Headers Genuine Interest.
XPLORx4 Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by socalpunX:
XPLORx4 - what are the significant differences between the X and your pathy space wise and cat wise that would make both pieces compatable? Would an X header be a direct fit with the Pathy?
I haven't studied in detail the differences between the X manifold s and the PF manifolds, but I believe that one single header unfortunately won't work for both trucks. If I have a chance, I can photograph the manifolds, cats, and exhaust of my truck so you can compare them with yours.

#641696 - 04/10/04 01:16 PM Re: Headers Genuine Interest.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I'd be surprised if a set of headers for our X's would be CARB legal. Why would anybody pay an extra 10 or 20k for CARB certification? You would definately fail visual inspection, however if you could reuse the heat shields, there might be a chance. Visual inspection is supposed to check everything between the cats and your engine, including the engine. Keeping the stock cats in, you probably would pass the sniffer, as long as everything stays nice and hot.

#641697 - 04/10/04 07:52 PM Re: Headers Genuine Interest.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by JadeMonkey:
Quote:
[b]If it is CARB legal, count me in also...
I'd be surprised if a set of headers for our X's would be CARB legal. Why would anybody pay an extra 10 or 20k for CARB certification? You would definately fail visual inspection, however if you could reuse the heat shields, there might be a chance. Visual inspection is supposed to check everything between the cats and your engine, including the engine. Keeping the stock cats in, you probably would pass the sniffer, as long as everything stays nice and hot.[/b]
If it is CARB legal, then it can't fail visual.. It has an exemption.. much liek the K&N FIPK.. Those would also fail the visual without the sticker saying it is exempt..
A signifigant portion of the population lives in an smog test area.. All of CA, 2 or 3 counties in western NV, the area around DC.. that is just what i am aware of.. I know there are other areas that do at least a visual, if not a sniffer test.
Once it is CARB legal, you can sell it in all 50 states.. Not just CA..
As long as stuff like this is around, we can expect the requirements will continue to expand to more places, and tighten down what is allowed..

#641698 - 04/10/04 08:38 PM Re: Headers Genuine Interest.
xterrabull Offline

Loc: san jose, CA, USA
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by JadeMonkey:
[b]
Quote:
[b]If it is CARB legal, count me in also...
I'd be surprised if a set of headers for our X's would be CARB legal. Why would anybody pay an extra 10 or 20k for CARB certification? You would definately fail visual inspection, however if you could reuse the heat shields, there might be a chance. Visual inspection is supposed to check everything between the cats and your engine, including the engine. Keeping the stock cats in, you probably would pass the sniffer, as long as everything stays nice and hot.[/b]
If it is CARB legal, then it can't fail visual.. It has an exemption.. much liek the K&N FIPK.. Those would also fail the visual without the sticker saying it is exempt..
A signifigant portion of the population lives in an smog test area.. All of CA, 2 or 3 counties in western NV, the area around DC.. that is just what i am aware of.. I know there are other areas that do at least a visual, if not a sniffer test.
Once it is CARB legal, you can sell it in all 50 states.. Not just CA..
As long as stuff like this is around, we can expect the requirements will continue to expand to more places, and tighten down what is allowed..[/b]
He's saying they most likely would not be CARB legal, and therefore would fail visual inspection.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal