Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#643091 - 13/06/08 12:00 PM Milage increase ideas?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Given the $4.00/gallon that we're dealing with, has anyone gone this route:
1. Remove the roof rack and nerf bars (weight and aerodynamics)
2. Install a cat-back exhaust and/or cold-air intake.
I've got a 2005 SE.
Thanks

#643092 - 13/06/08 12:07 PM Re: Milage increase ideas?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Buy a 40mpg car
Only drive with 1/4 -1/2 tank of gas...(less weight) [LOL]
Remove spare tire and call AAA (less weight laugh )
Use Nitrogen in tires (huge debate)
Remove mudflaps.... they catch all the air coming off the tires right?
Keep your windows up at all time and don't use air conditioning....sweat alot, maybe you'll become lighter [Finger]
Buy skinnier tires, stay at stock diameter.
Don't put any armor on.... ALLLL that weight in steel [Freak]

That's all for now

#643093 - 13/06/08 12:21 PM Re: Milage increase ideas?
Anonymous
Unregistered

like i said in another post, smile because $4/gallon is glorious. North of the border we're paying around $5.45/gallon. Consider yourself lucky

#643094 - 13/06/08 12:32 PM Re: Milage increase ideas?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Arterra:
like i said in another post, smile because $4/gallon is glorious. North of the border we're paying around $5.45/gallon. Consider yourself lucky
How much of your paycheck goes towards paying health insurance?

#643095 - 13/06/08 02:08 PM Re: Milage increase ideas?
Anonymous
Unregistered

15% for employer provided family coverage here.

45psi vs 35psi in 33" AT's on my '02 X boosted the mileage 20%, from 15 up to 18 mpg in town. I'd try 50 or 55psi but I'm afraid that's a bad idea at 110 degrees.

#643096 - 13/06/08 02:53 PM Re: Milage increase ideas?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by akaMud:
15% for employer provided family coverage here.

45psi vs 35psi in 33" AT's on my '02 X boosted the mileage 20%,
Whats the risk of airing up that high? I've bumped mine up to 38 for roadtrips and the gain was negligible

Expecting harsh ride and middle thread wear. Wondering about the safety risk.

#643097 - 13/06/08 04:17 PM Re: Milage increase ideas?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I has getting 13.7-13.9 pretty consistantly running 35 psi in my swampers. With BFG ATs same size aired to 47 psi I am seeing 15.3-15.5. I know it's not a huge gain but it helps.

#643098 - 13/06/08 06:49 PM Re: Milage increase ideas?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by MemorEsto:
Buy a 40mpg car
Only drive with 1/4 -1/2 tank of gas...(less weight) [LOL]
Remove spare tire and call AAA (less weight laugh )
Use Nitrogen in tires (huge debate)
Remove mudflaps.... they catch all the air coming off the tires right?
Keep your windows up at all time and don't use air conditioning....sweat alot, maybe you'll become lighter [Finger]
Buy skinnier tires, stay at stock diameter.
Don't put any armor on.... ALLLL that weight in steel [Freak]

That's all for now
Maybe I should regress back to stock.......Meh, nope

#643099 - 13/06/08 07:11 PM Re: Milage increase ideas?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Let’s be realistic here…. The X will never be a fuel efficient vehicle. Instead of trying to get more mpg’s out of $4.50 per gallon gas everyone should be pressuring their Congress critters to allow for cheaper sources of oil.

Sign the petition now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLd_xUUR4Bg

#643100 - 13/06/08 07:28 PM Re: Milage increase ideas?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Racer Xterra:
Let’s be realistic here…. The X will never be a fuel efficient vehicle. Instead of trying to get more mpg’s out of $4.50 per gallon gas everyone should be pressuring their Congress critters to allow for cheaper sources of oil.

Sign the petition now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLd_xUUR4Bg
Valid point but it will never happen. Get used to gas over atleast $3 if not a higher for the rest of our lives.

#643101 - 13/06/08 07:36 PM Re: Milage increase ideas?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Okay, I get the idea. Be happy with my 15.8 around town, leave the racks and nerfs. Put the Exhaust on for sound purposes and the CAI for grins. Maybe even chip it for a couple extra HP at 5000 rpm...Got it!
I'll buy a Vespa, hug a tree, become a vegan, chain myself to a tree to save it from turning into a usable product- sorry, never happen.
RacerX, already signed one to open up drilling in all the areas the Greens are trying to protect. I saw a deal where the chinese of all people are drilling in the gulf where our congress won't even let us drill. Things are screwed as it is, can't wait to see the cluster@#&* after Pelosi and Reid have Obama signing all their bills to save this and that. Oh yeah, the tax increases and the elimination of tax cuts will really help the 'ol wallet. $4.50/gallon will be the least of our worries. Oops, wrong forum- sorry guys.

#643102 - 13/06/08 07:54 PM Re: Milage increase ideas?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by rockhead:
Okay, I get the idea. Be happy with my 15.8 around town, leave the racks and nerfs. Put the Exhaust on for sound purposes and the CAI for grins. Maybe even chip it for a couple extra HP at 5000 rpm...Got it!
I'll buy a Vespa, hug a tree, become a vegan, chain myself to a tree to save it from turning into a usable product- sorry, never happen.
RacerX, already signed one to open up drilling in all the areas the Greens are trying to protect. I saw a deal where the chinese of all people are drilling in the gulf where our congress won't even let us drill. Things are screwed as it is, can't wait to see the cluster@#&* after Pelosi and Reid have Obama signing all their bills to save this and that. Oh yeah, the tax increases and the elimination of tax cuts will really help the 'ol wallet. $4.50/gallon will be the least of our worries. Oops, wrong forum- sorry guys.
+5.

Welcome to XOC. Land of happy X owners pissed about fuel economy and gas prices while they dry hump thier new 32's, sliders, bumpers, blah blah blah. You get the idea.

laugh

#643103 - 14/06/08 02:08 AM Re: Milage increase ideas?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by MemorEsto:
Quote:
Originally posted by Arterra:
[b]like i said in another post, smile because $4/gallon is glorious. North of the border we're paying around $5.45/gallon. Consider yourself lucky
How much of your paycheck goes towards paying health insurance?[/b]
I see where you're going..."free health coverage"
I work in health care myself and they deduct about 10% for my medical/dental and extended health coverage. So it's technically it's not free, but we definitely don't pay what you guys do down there for health coverage. It's all relative, regardless, gas is cheaper down there period.

#643104 - 17/06/08 06:24 PM Re: Milage increase ideas?
Anonymous
Unregistered

If your serious about getting better gas mileage the X can do pretty well. I have gotten 26 mpg before and its pretty easy to get low 20's on a regular basis.

Here is my mileage info
http://www.cleanmpg.com/garage/images/1597.png

Read this article if should get you started.
Beating the EPS MPG standards @ Cleanmpg.com

#643105 - 17/06/08 06:35 PM Re: Milage increase ideas?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TennX:
If your serious about getting better gas mileage the X can do pretty well. I have gotten 26 mpg before and its pretty easy to get low 20's on a regular basis.

Here is my mileage info

Why don't you fill us in here without linking us to another site?

#643106 - 17/06/08 06:43 PM Re: Milage increase ideas?
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
Another mileage thread. Dear God.

How many are there now? And the funny part is that we've been griping about the X's gas mileage since gas was $1.05 a gallon. [Freak]

Please you guys, try searching the forum before starting a new thread.

#643107 - 17/06/08 08:38 PM Re: Milage increase ideas?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by bpc:
Quote:
Originally posted by TennX:
[b]If your serious about getting better gas mileage the X can do pretty well. I have gotten 26 mpg before and its pretty easy to get low 20's on a regular basis.

Here is my mileage info

Why don't you fill us in here without linking us to another site?[/b]
Because they are dead links, and 26 [Spit] [Spit] [Spit]

#643108 - 17/06/08 09:32 PM Re: Milage increase ideas?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The other site will provide way more information than I can. I learned everything from them since thats their sole reason is increasing your mpg. here is the post on your site in another thread.

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2008 10:26 PM Profile for TennX Email TennX Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote You gave up to easy then. Your right your mpg ranges will result from those speeds. They can be held far longer than a minute or two. Not using cruise though. Cruise allows you to maintain a constant speed not a mpg rating.

For 3 years i've been trying to optimize my mpg and i've gotten quite good at it.

The secret isn't a certain speed but a certain ignition sequence and throttle position. the best thing you can do is buy a ODBII reader called a Scan Gauge II and program it to read your IGN and TPS. It will also display your current mpg and average MGP.

I can provide pics of this with proof of the distance I've traveled getting very high mpg in an Xterra.

--------------------

#643109 - 17/06/08 09:33 PM Re: Milage increase ideas?
Anonymous
Unregistered

They moved it to a different server...its up now.

#643110 - 24/06/08 07:55 PM Re: Milage increase ideas?
Anonymous
Unregistered

ideas for increasing mileage on my X is one of the main reasons I joined the site. I have no mods to mine so I'm pretty much in the same shape I was when I drove off the lot in 04'. I replaced my fram with a KN air filter and I run fuel injector cleaner and gas treatment pretty frequently. I'm hitting 20 MPG with every tank. The article TennX posted is really good.

#643111 - 24/06/08 08:07 PM Re: Milage increase ideas?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by eastenn04':
ideas for increasing mileage on my X is one of the main reasons I joined the site. .....The article TennX posted is really good.
[Laughing]

#643112 - 25/06/08 09:12 AM Re: Milage increase ideas?
Anonymous
Unregistered

it's funny how everyone is still pretty meh about this high mpg he's getting. i dont think we're ever gonna hear the end of it.

[Sleep]

#643113 - 25/06/08 10:59 AM Re: Milage increase ideas?
Anonymous
Unregistered

One thing that is getting forgotten, you need to add the costs up for the injector cleaner, OB2 scanner, any additives, etc. Doesnt increase or decrease mpg but it does increase the cost per gallon. Kind of like getting a Honda to drive instead of the X.....add the $ cost for extra registration, license, insurance, maintnance, etc ....thats a lot of gas you can pay for and just drive the X at the lower mpg.

#643114 - 25/06/08 12:33 PM Re: Milage increase ideas?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by bru15:
One thing that is getting forgotten, you need to add the costs up for the injector cleaner, OB2 scanner, any additives, etc. Doesnt increase or decrease mpg but it does increase the cost per gallon.
I was thinking the same thing. As for the OB2 Scanner, depending on how long it lasts it can be taken to your next car and the return on investment can be stretched over several years of use. That device could end up being cost effective. As for the additives... I don't know if doing it frequently really saves you any money. Maybe using it every once in a while to ward off a mechanic bill would be worth it.

#643115 - 26/06/08 10:21 AM Re: Milage increase ideas?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Only additives I ever use is seafoam, in the fall before winter starts and in the spring to get rid of the crappy gas junk. Put it the crankcase as well a day or two before I change the oil. Cleans it good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal