Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#643416 - 28/02/04 10:43 PM Flowmaster 40 series installed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey guys,
I bought a 40 series Flowmaster off of E-bay for $47 with shipping. I just had it installed at the local muffler shop yesterday for $80. All I have to say is it was the best $127 I have ever spent. I just got back from a trip to the Tacoma area and had a 3mpg increase. eek
I went from 15.5mpg to 18.5mpg with just replacing the muffler. I'm happy laugh

#643417 - 28/02/04 11:34 PM Re: Flowmaster 40 series installed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

How does it sound?

#643418 - 29/02/04 05:43 AM Re: Flowmaster 40 series installed...
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
I just got a 50 series installed on my X and love the sound..I can imagine how the 40 series sounds.. wink

#643419 - 29/02/04 07:33 PM Re: Flowmaster 40 series installed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sounds great! It is still breaking in, and the sound has deepend since I had it installed! I love it to death. It is nice to hear the exhaust instead of the engine. Also seems to help the X. The X doesn't struggle up grades anymore. In cruise control it justs pulls right up without problems. Can't wait to get an intake. Haven't decided which one to get yet, but hopefully within the next couple of months get a new intake.

#643420 - 01/03/04 12:11 PM Re: Flowmaster 40 series installed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

What's the difference between the 40 and the 50? I'd like to get one but I don't want it too loud. Mostly free flowing.

#643421 - 01/03/04 12:28 PM Re: Flowmaster 40 series installed...
wordtothis Offline

Loc: atlanta
Quote:
Originally posted by DyerT:
Hey guys,
I bought a 40 series Flowmaster off of E-bay for $47 with shipping. I just had it installed at the local muffler shop yesterday for $80. All I have to say is it was the best $127 I have ever spent. I just got back from a trip to the Tacoma area and had a 3mpg increase. eek
I went from 15.5mpg to 18.5mpg with just replacing the muffler. I'm happy laugh
just replacing the muffler eh?
i am looking for some extra mpg too...
i may have more weight cruising in the X than you though... are you sure the muffler is the only mod you have done? [it is according to your profile.] [if so, then keep track of your mileage over a month or maybe longer and see if it still is better, if it is, i think i will go buy one of these flowmaster mufflers like you are talking about.
david

#643422 - 01/03/04 01:15 PM Re: Flowmaster 40 series installed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'll keep track and let you know how it ends up. The muffler with 2.25" piping is the only mod I've done. However, I did just get new 31" Kumho Venture MT's mounted today, so I will have to see if they effect the mileage frown
I have a feeling they might hurt it a little. I did have BFG Longtrail's on before that. I will hopefully be getting intake next month. laugh

#643423 - 01/03/04 01:28 PM Re: Flowmaster 40 series installed...
wordtothis Offline

Loc: atlanta
...and so it begins...

hold on tight!

david

#643424 - 01/03/04 01:47 PM Re: Flowmaster 40 series installed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by RI Xterra:
I just got a 50 series installed on my X and love the sound..I can imagine how the 40 series sounds.. wink
Is one louder than the other?

#643425 - 01/03/04 02:39 PM Re: Flowmaster 40 series installed...
RI Xterra Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by pnwbeers:
Quote:
Originally posted by RI Xterra:
[b]I just got a 50 series installed on my X and love the sound..I can imagine how the 40 series sounds.. wink
Is one louder than the other?[/b]
Yes the 40 series is (i believe) the loudest that Flowmaster has to offer and then comes the 50 series which is the one that I have....
If you look at these two pages provided by Flowmaster you can see the ratings they give the sounds of the two series of mufflers....

here's the 40 series charts.
http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/cgi-bin/flowmaster/40series.html?id=SrCg4ebR

And here's the 50 series..
http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/cgi-bin/flowmaster/50series.html?id=SrCg4ebR

#643426 - 02/03/04 08:27 AM Re: Flowmaster 40 series installed...
husky fan Offline

why would someone pay good money just to make their car louder? Must sound like a rice rocket-bawaaaaaaaaa. No thank you. more power-sure, louder w/o more power (prove to me you have more power) no thank you.

#643427 - 02/03/04 09:11 AM Re: Flowmaster 40 series installed...
dano Offline

Loc: Ridgefield Park, NJ
Flowmasters don't have that ricer fartbox noise to them. A nice throaty sound that I always liked, especially on american muscle cars.
But the man worthwhile
is the man who can smile
when his shorts are too tight in the seat.

#643428 - 02/03/04 09:38 AM Re: Flowmaster 40 series installed...
01SalsaXterra Offline

Loc: Suffolk County,NY,USA
I didnt pay money to make my 1970 nova sound louder. I just havent gotten a chance to hook up the exhaust. laugh I love the sound of open headers on a nice V8.. [Smoking]

I got "IT" from ebay.
Now it burns when I pee..

#643429 - 02/03/04 09:48 AM Re: Flowmaster 40 series installed...
hansojc Offline

Loc: Columbia, S.C.
Quote:
Originally posted by DyerT:
....However, I did just get new 31" Kumho Venture MT's mounted today,..... laugh
DyerT,
Got any pics of the tires? I'd like to see how those look on an X. I'm seriously considering those as the next set of meats on the truck.

#643430 - 02/03/04 02:19 PM Re: Flowmaster 40 series installed...
RI Xterra Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by husky fan:
why would someone pay good money just to make their car louder? Must sound like a rice rocket-bawaaaaaaaaa. No thank you. more power-sure, louder w/o more power (prove to me you have more power) no thank you.
Obviously I didn't put my exhaust on to sound like a frigin ricer(no thank you,thats not my style).Why would that be the first thing you think about?What I mean is people don't buy exhaust systems to actually try and gain some horsepower?
"You say prove to me you have more power" you mean to tell me that changing out a very restrictive OEM exhaust with a non-restrictive aftermarket one isn't gonna give you gains??The sound just comes with it cause your losing all the factory resonators that are on a OEM system..

#643431 - 02/03/04 03:58 PM Re: Flowmaster 40 series installed...
puffdc Offline

Loc: NOR CAL
flowmasters definitely improve mileage & add a great throaty sound wink
if you pansys are too worried about noise look into the "delta flow technology" versions of the 40 & 50 series...

#643432 - 02/03/04 10:43 PM Re: Flowmaster 40 series installed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I used to have flowmaster exhaust on my 1974 Camaro and my father has flowmaster's on his 1973 Camaro Z28. I have always loved the sound of a flowmaster. I am very happy with the sound and performance. It sounds nothing like a rice rocket. It has a nice deep growl. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I can't imagine why you would want to keep the stock exhaust on. It looked like a small midget hanging from under my X. I have only seen mufflers that big on diesels! eek

hansojc,
I'll have pictures up as soon as I can find a host frown

#643433 - 05/03/04 10:23 AM Re: Flowmaster 40 series installed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

What was the part # on your flowmaster for the 40's and 50's series? Will it fit a 4x4 with a towing hitch, V6 model?

#643434 - 06/03/04 06:22 AM Re: Flowmaster 40 series installed...
RI Xterra Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by MrOmAnO:
What was the part # on your flowmaster for the 40's and 50's series? Will it fit a 4x4 with a towing hitch, V6 model?
As far as model number I couldn't tell ya but to answer your question about it fitting with the hitch you can look at my pic...

#643435 - 06/03/04 11:37 AM Re: Flowmaster 40 series installed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

That looks sweet and is exactly what I want to do to my X. Is that the full exhaust system or just muffler with tips? Also how much for the system and install?

#643436 - 06/03/04 12:26 PM Re: Flowmaster 40 series installed...
RI Xterra Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by MrOmAnO:
That looks sweet and is exactly what I want to do to my X. Is that the full exhaust system or just muffler with tips? Also how much for the system and install?
They had cut the stock flange off and welded it to a small piece of pipe which runs into muffler and then they had to custom bend the pipping for the duals and add a few hangers on the passenger side and they welded on the tips. wink

But it cost me roughly $400 for them to do this....

#643437 - 07/03/04 09:43 AM Re: Flowmaster 40 series installed...
RI Xterra Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Xstalker7:
I have a flowmaster on my X. It is probably the best mod I've done yet. As for the dual exhaust... I like my solution better.
http://www.freewebs.com/stalker7/exhaust1.jpg
Page doesn't link up...

#643438 - 07/03/04 11:25 AM Re: Flowmaster 40 series installed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I finally got my 40 series original flow installed 2 weekends ago (I have an airaid intake also) and i love it, makes the X sound so much better and there is a difference in throttle response. more power? hard to say, it's not like i am going to get it dyno tested, and really i dont care it's an X not a race car afterall. But i do know that it sounds so much better than it did before, real nice. Regardless of what exhaust you put on, your truck will never be mistaken for a 350 packin full size pickup, we dont have the horse power for that kind of sound. If you dont want your truck to be a little louder then dont get an exhaust, but know that your truck will never be very loud anyways because of the lack of ponies under the hood. If you like aftermarket mods and little extra rumble when you step on the gas then do it up with a new exhaust, if you like a stock sounding ride then dont waste your time looking into it because you wont be happy and youll spend all your time on this board discouraging everyone else from getting exhaust on their truck. Every one said i would hate the flowmaster and it would be too loud blah blah blah. I have found it to be the exact opposite, nice deep tone, in fact i wouldnt be broken hearted if it were a little louder yet. This is just my opinion, i am real picky with what i do to my vehicles but i am also a bargain shopper (got mine on ebay also for 37 plus 10 shipping,installed for 85), and i am thrilled with the 40 series. Once i have the time ill post pics and sound.

#643439 - 07/03/04 12:54 PM Re: Flowmaster 40 series installed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

does anyone happen to have a sound clip of any of these exhausts? I'd be interested to see just how it sounds. And I used to have a Flowmaster on my v6 Camaro, everyone was always mistaking it for a Z28 laugh and that's what i was going for at 16 years old with no money [Smoking]

#643440 - 07/03/04 03:09 PM Re: Flowmaster 40 series installed...
RI Xterra Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mcoker:
does anyone happen to have a sound clip of any of these exhausts? I'd be interested to see just how it sounds. And I used to have a Flowmaster on my v6 Camaro, everyone was always mistaking it for a Z28 laugh and that's what i was going for at 16 years old with no money [Smoking]
Send me an E-mail at ewal386583@aol.com asking for a clip and I'll send ya one of my X with the 50 Series on it... wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal